PDA

View Full Version : Need help fast on equipment purchase!!!!! Have to decide by tommorow 730AM

Nolimit124
01-19-2010, 09:38 PM
so heres the deal i have been looking for mowers for some time now i found 2 ok deals.

first is a 1998 Walkder mower 20hp with 1800 hours new engine 200 hours ago. Documentation proving this. Catcher on the back has seen better days might need a replacement soon if bungie breaks lol. The guy also claims he put a new deck on it. 48" deck He wants $2800 firm no lower

Second is a 2006 Toro Z-Master 1800 hours also. SAME ENGINE. The problem with this one is that it dosen't start right up you need to turn the key 5 times. It also has to be started at low throttle or else it will flood the engine and wont start for 30 mins. 52" deck

Both are in great good condition, which one should I go with I have to decide by 730am tommrow. Or should I just go with a different mower all togethor.

I am just starting a company, but none of the houses have huge lots I was going to get a big rider and a 36" or 48" walk behind to start. Let me know what you

mowerbrad
01-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Just from the sounds of things, I wouldn't consider any of the mower as "great good condition", maybe fair condition. Each of them both seem to have things that will need to be addressed. If it were me, I would pass on both and try and find something else. You still have plenty of time to find a good used mower though, so take some time to look for one that you really are happy with.

punt66
01-19-2010, 10:26 PM
never rush into a deal. They are both junk.

Bob_n_weave
01-19-2010, 10:30 PM
I agree ! do not rush into buying anything, you will probably regret it.
There are lot's of mowers to pick from.

green grass lawn care
01-20-2010, 12:12 AM
why do you need to make a decision by 7:30 tomorrow? is it because the guy you are buying from is SHADY? more than likely. if a timeline is set on a purchase don't buy it. and for that kind of coin you can get a pretty decent used mower. maybe a really nice hydro walk behind. good luck and i say no to both as well. vince

meets1
01-20-2010, 12:15 AM
No way. Sleep till
8am?!
Posted via Mobile Device

MikeKle
01-20-2010, 12:31 AM
You should never have to make a decision by a certain time on buying anything. If a seller insists this, he is trying to get rid of junk. Anyone else would tell you to take as much time as you like deciding. Those mowers seem a bit too worn out to me for that kind of money, but if it is proven to be a BRAND NEW engine and not a re-manu. engine, that may be the better deal, but I would talk him down to at least $1800. or $2000 max, since it is a 1998 model, and may need other pricey parts replaced soon, like the hydro parts. IF you are just starting out, I would keep looking though, and consider a WB so you can have as versatile a machine as possible, never know if you will get a hilly yard that a Z cant handle. For $2800. you can get a really nice WB. Good luck!

Grass Shark
01-20-2010, 03:06 AM
When you force yourself to make a decision on a deadline, you regret. I would skip both mowers, which neither sounds like a deal anyway. You need to put some more thought into what you want and need. Good thing you came to the forum because the mind is easily overwhelmed when we see something we like and are given a deadline. There are tons of mowers out there, sit back and make a well thought out educated decision. Wish you the best

scagrider22
01-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Dont buy them they sound like overpriced junk take your money and buy a nice low hour48" walk behind you do not need to be in a rush because you will not be cutting grass for atleast two months.

Nolimit124
01-20-2010, 06:48 AM
Yeah all good points. The reason why I have to decide is the guy is getting divorced so his wife is kicking him out tommorow. He didnt feel like moving the mower so he didn't to sell it. Thats why there is a deadline I had to decide if I should leave at 8 to meet him.

What about the toro z-master for $1200 thats the lowest he will go!

He also said if I buy the walker he will give me a backpack blower 7001 model and a 9hp little wonder blower included in the $2800 for the walker mower.

I figured for $1200 i can afford to fix problems with the z-master what do you guys think?>

MarcSmith
01-20-2010, 08:00 AM
1200 for the zmaster. seems like a much better deal. At 1800 hours you got another solid 1800 coming to ya. provided the first 1800 was maintained. The current starter issue. probably in need of a carb clean. and new plugs.

how do the mowers look are they beat to hell? do they look like they were cared for...No different than buying a used car.

check the oil, check the air filters. take a wrench and pull the plugs.

dishboy
01-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Around here Walkers hold value , so if you have no hidden issues that deal is not bad , at least compared to what I see here. Chances are if he thought enough of the mower to repower it, it probably cuts right.

Mahoney3223
01-20-2010, 11:50 AM
20 hp on the walker is a little low for wet heavy grass and thick leaves. i got the 26efi. i would lean walker over toro because i happen to hate toro and think they are overpriced. but that jmo, walkers tend to hold their value longer and they are quite easy to rebuild. but 2800 for a 98 is too much. offer 1800

becpropertymaint.
01-20-2010, 12:02 PM
well did you buy it did you meet the guy at 8am

Nolimit124
01-20-2010, 03:21 PM
no i delayed it because I wasn't sure, but i'm thinking this walker is an ok deal because hes giving me 2 backpack blowers and a push blower. I told him i was still interested in the walker, and I would meet him at 5 so i'm still deciding

MikeKle
01-20-2010, 03:30 PM
That guy seems a but anxious to unload his equipment, when someone negotiates on price, and instead of going lower on price, the seller offers to throw more stuff into the deal, that is a kinda odd? Seems like he has a number in his mind and really needs to get that. But if they are decent BP blowers/WB blower, it may be a good deal, but do you need blowers, or could you turn around and sell them? Still, the one with the brand new engine may be worth it, just make sure the hydraulic system is in good shape with no leaks or pressure loss. Sometimes pressure loss wont show up until the mower is running at temp. Good luck though.

Nolimit124
01-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah i was going to keep one blower and sell the rest

DixieFerris
01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Buddy, you need to avoid that situation at all cost! what if his soon to be ex wife realizes those mowers are worth money, and sues the ex husband to be for the money (or property/mowers) he sold you without permission. She may want a piece of that action, and may in fact OWN 50% of those machines. The 1998 Walker is scrap at best, the Toro is ok, but those are a dime a dozen. Tell him thanks but no thanks, and get out of that potentially bad situation!!!!!

Nolimit124
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
ok fair enough thats what I was thinking.

Nolimit124
01-20-2010, 04:57 PM
the toro isn't from the same guy i found it on craigslist. So what your saying is go for the toro??

DixieFerris
01-20-2010, 05:16 PM
If anything, yes go for the Toro, its pretty modern and up to speed. 1998 Walker is ancient? They are slow now in 2010, let alone adding 12 years to it

topsites
01-20-2010, 05:38 PM
All right I tell you a bit of a secret, look...
Anytime we're dealing with big money we're way best off taking our time, and if it takes 3 days
or even if it takes 2 weeks then that is how long it takes and if the folks selling it can't wait
that long then maybe they shouldn't be trying to sell it.

Don't let anyone rush you, and don't get yourself into that kind of a mess either and I don't care how good a deal it supposedly is.
Because we get ourselves in a rush and there's bound to be someone making a mistake...

Hate to see that happen now, it's only January and you can and will find more mowers before spring.

djchiodo3
01-20-2010, 05:47 PM
I know this is not going to answer this question directly, but try this on. If you have $2800, why not put that down on a new mower. You will get a new machine that will last for years, 2-3 year warranty and you will know that the mower has been well maintained. Takes the stress out of a used mower that may or may not start or last that long. A lot of manufactures are offering great deals right now. Just my two cents.

w.a.reid
01-20-2010, 05:48 PM
best deal i ever got....motor locked up 2 weeks later.

frames and transmissions last a long time - engines dont - if you have got to buy used - might try something already dead - and put a new motor on it - i use the john deers gs-30 - also called the g-15 - probably called something else this year! it has a 36" cut with an overall 38" deck with the mulch kit - j.deere wants almost $4000 new - i get them with a dead or almost dead engine all the time for less than a grand - "small engine warehouse" gets me a new motor for $500 - i add an external fuel pump - $25 - a can of j.deere green paint - $6 - and that with a toro 21" mower - 2 backpack blowers - 2 edgers - 2 trimmers - and a 5 gallon can of gas - and i have another team out making me money - 4 of those teams going - me on the phone and computer and doing the billing - life is good.

w.a.reid

becpropertymaint.
01-20-2010, 07:10 PM
lokk at new toro's i got my grandstand for 0% for 36 months just a thought they are doing good rates of 0% for 24 months on walk behinds if that is what you might be looking for

MikeKle
01-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I never thought about whether his soon to be ex-wife may have some claim to those mowers, so if he sells them to you, and she rightfully owns a percentage of them, they can take them from you and not return any of your money! If you are going to buy from him, I would ask to talk to his wife just to be sure. It may sound weird to him, but explain your concern to him.

meets1
01-20-2010, 08:33 PM
So what did this guy do today?????????????????????? 7:30 am is long over in my world.

rcslawncare
01-20-2010, 08:43 PM
What did you decide? Hope you passed!!

Nolimit124
01-20-2010, 10:39 PM
yeah i defiantly passed!!!!!!!!

meets1
01-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Way to go!
Posted via Mobile Device

STIHL GUY
01-20-2010, 11:15 PM
take your time and wait for a good deal on a good mower to pop up. youll be glad in the long run. i know when i bought my mower i wanted to jump at every 48'' WB i saw but i waited to get a good one and im really glad

Oldtimer
01-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Invest your hard earned cash in a new 48" walk behind.

You will never make any money with worn out junk because the repairs and down time will take all you profit.

Oldtimer

soloscaperman
01-21-2010, 01:24 AM
Invest your hard earned cash in a new 48" walk behind.

You will never make any money with worn out junk because the repairs and down time will take all you profit.

Oldtimer

Please listen to him!

In the long run you will be happy.

Nolimit124
01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Yeah I want to buy a new one, however I'm not so sure spending that much on a mower is smart. As of now I have 4 21" and a trailer, and I paid like nothing for the equipment I have so far. Someone owed me some money so I got this in exchange for interest. I figure for like $2400 I will pick up a 48" and a 36" walkbehind, and a few blowers for now. I should be picking up the mowers today both are 2004, and are in good condition. I figured for that short money It will be a majority profit. Since I am basically new to landscaping it will give me a good start. I figure by the time the fall comes I will of made enough money to buy more equipment. The reason I can't buy a new one is because I am opening a strip club, and have alot of money invested in that. However, by next fall I should have enough money to get everything I need new.

topsites
01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Yeah all good points. The reason why I have to decide is the guy is getting divorced so his wife is kicking him out tommorow. He didnt feel like moving the mower so he didn't to sell it. Thats why there is a deadline I had to decide if I should leave at 8 to meet him.

He also said if I buy the walker he will give me a backpack blower 7001 model and a 9hp little wonder blower included in the $2800 for the walker mower.

what do you guys think?>

Oh hell no that guy just sounds like someone trying to offload some of his problems,
sorry it was you that he saw coming but take it from someone who bought a push blower a couple of years
back for $200, much like yourself I thought I was getting a great deal but now looking back I didn't get ripped
off but the blower's worth the $200 and not much more, so it's a good thing that's all I'm out of.

And it's not a bad machine but a $200 push blower doesn't do much around here, even thou it is an 8hp
but now I'm wondering what to do with this extra piece of equipment, again it wasn't the biggest money
in the world and the machine does work so I'm not upset but it just goes to show what can happen.

So I think you did good by skipping on it.

Good luck to you

cgaengineer
01-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Buy new and get a warranty.

J.M. LM
01-21-2010, 02:16 PM
i have a 1997 walker with a 42" deck has about 950 hrs on a 20hp koler i hade it serviced at the end of last year and just put a BRAND NEW 9.5 catcher on it and new blades i have all slips let me know if your interested not real motivated 2 sell but kinda want a stander

2low4NH
01-22-2010, 10:57 AM
yeah i was looking at this mower too! he said i would have to look at it today. he wouldnt give me any other pictures of the mower. i would say the guy is kinda shady. i would love to pick up a walker for that price though.

J.M. LM
01-22-2010, 07:12 PM
i woule seel mine for $3000