PDA

View Full Version : grasshopper or bad dog

D&F lawnmaster
01-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Well guys i going to look at a bad boy tommorrow. I also look at a grasshopper 930D. I think i am sold on this grasshopper but i am going to look at this mower also. :usflag::usflag::usflag: I have been using exmark but i don't think i going back.

D&F lawnmaster
01-19-2010, 10:30 PM
i spell bad boy wrong

don_don91
01-19-2010, 10:37 PM
i feel like the grasshopper is too expensive for not as much of a quality cut.. check out the new 900 series from john deere.. the have many great improvements from the 800 series

Mike Blevins
01-20-2010, 07:55 PM
I loved the Grasshopper mowers when I was out demoing. They would be my second pick after Scag. You need to demo each unit. Grasshopper has one of the best seats on the market. Very comfortable machines to operate. I would go with warranty,dealer support,reputation.

chrisduryea
01-22-2010, 06:30 AM
Try them both and decide. It all comes down to personal preference and what specs you like better.

Chris

ALC-GregH
01-22-2010, 11:39 AM
i feel like the grasshopper is too expensive for not as much of a quality cut.. check out the new 900 series from john deere.. the have many great improvements from the 800 series

I demoed a 700 series that cut just as good as my scag. Don't be a test dummy for JD. There's a reason why JD has to keep improving their product.

AsoLilGrasshopper
01-24-2010, 09:17 AM
I personally feel the Grasshopper is better, but that is because we mow so much hilly terain. Yes, I know your'e going to tell me different, but the Grasshoppers do go where no other mowers can go.
I have 2 Grasshoppers, 723D and a 722D. I will be trading in the 723D this year and will undoubtedly get the 930D.
I will agree that the Xmark and Scag may have better looking finish results, but they just don't handle the terrain as well.
I would never professionally mow with out a diesel either! We average around 40 acre mowing a day in the prime time.

MJB
01-24-2010, 05:54 PM
I personally feel the Grasshopper is better, but that is because we mow so much hilly terain. Yes, I know your'e going to tell me different, but the Grasshoppers do go where no other mowers can go.
I have 2 Grasshoppers, 723D and a 722D. I will be trading in the 723D this year and will undoubtedly get the 930D.
I will agree that the Xmark and Scag may have better looking finish results, but they just don't handle the terrain as well.
I would never professionally mow with out a diesel either! We average around 40 acre mowing a day in the prime time.

If thats true then Grasshopper has improved quite a bit since the mid 90's.
Then all the front mounts hada lot of trouble with hills compared to any midmount. Is the 723D a midmount or frontmount? I noticed that on some jobs I had I would have to back up the hills with the backend popping up , but it was the only way to get it up a steep hill. Now most midmounts are great at climbing but terrible downhill. I have noticed they are getting better all around. But I have not tried any new GHoppers in quite a while so tell us what you mean did they eliminate the old traction problems and sidehilling problems that the 700 & 725 Series had in the 90's?

D&F lawnmaster
01-25-2010, 07:22 PM
I have decided to get the grasshooper 930D, 72", w/bagger. I have two exmarks that can do hills. But i have aleast ten lawns that is over 5 acres. I will order this one in February Thanks guys for your imput.

AsoLilGrasshopper
01-28-2010, 01:19 PM
If thats true then Grasshopper has improved quite a bit since the mid 90's.
Then all the front mounts hada lot of trouble with hills compared to any midmount. Is the 723D a midmount or frontmount? I noticed that on some jobs I had I would have to back up the hills with the backend popping up , but it was the only way to get it up a steep hill. Now most midmounts are great at climbing but terrible downhill. I have noticed they are getting better all around. But I have not tried any new GHoppers in quite a while so tell us what you mean did they eliminate the old traction problems and sidehilling problems that the 700 & 725 Series had in the 90's?

Well, no I can’t exactly say they have improved anything in the last 10 years except for the transmission, deck thickness, air filtration and deck lifts, so no they probably have not changed anything. It is weird though that are experiences are quite the opposite. Then all the front mounts hada lot of trouble with hills compared to any midmount.
Grasshopper doesn’t make a 723D mid-mount, so I don’t know if you were joking or baiting me for some type of response? My mowers are front mount.
I was only speaking this on my experience from demo experience. At that time, I demo’d the Scags, Exmarks, Hustlers and the Grasshoppers. We have 2 clients nearby with the steepest hills known to mow, so that Is where I demo’d them.
The grasshopper is a beast, and that is it’s major setback for residential yards, hard to maneuver around yards (not to mention transporting size), yes does still have a tire rutting issues, especially since I have bar tires on mine, I do think you can trim closer with the grasshopper though. My problem with the mid mount mowers is still the same, once they start to slide downhill or side hill, they either spin down to the bottom of the hill or spin around, that has been my experience anyway, and no I am not a professional, but I do have countless hours in the seat.
I will say that my personal opinion is the mowers I demo’d are the best there is (Scags, Exmarks, Hustlers and Grasshopper) It is all going to come down to a personal decision, just felt like the Grasshopper was best for what we needed, 10 hours on the Grasshopper was much easier on my body than 10 hours on any of the mid-mounts.
In our area I was more impressed with the dealers at Exmark and Hustler than the others, they went above and beyond trying to sell me one, they changed tires for me (Turf vs Bar) different engines, different sizes, they were just great.
I will tell you this, the hustler dealer told me 1-2 years after buying the Grasshoppers, that I made the right choice, because of the hills. Yes, he does still work for Hustler.

One thing I have learned on these forum sites is that everybody else's “so and so” is much better than everybody else’s “so and so”, I just take it with a grain of salt and say that the Grasshoppers are best for my situation.

Speaking of buying experience (I’ve learned the hard way) If you don’t demo them and get enough information on them before you buy them, I don't know what else to tell anybody on recommended mowers.