PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Some Much Needed Advice!

GreenGuy12
01-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Let me begin by saying that any feedback, positive or negative, will be greatly appreciated. I live in upstate NY, and I'm looking to get into the business. There are a couple of commercial accounts that I feel I have at least a good opportunity to bid on. I have relatives that work for these companies, and I know many people that work at them also. These would be pretty much strictly mowing, maybe a little landscaping. Is it possible to go after these businesses before doing all the leg work of legalizing the business? IE: insurances, DBA, etc. I'm in an area that has 2 reputable companies doing the lawn care, landscaping, and snow plowing. I'm just trying to gauge how I can go about this before jumping head first in the business. Like I said, any response is a good response. Thanks.

bohiaa
01-19-2010, 10:20 PM
It is/ and it is NOT.
you want to have a plan. a GOAL. ask where do you want to go? what type of Company do you want to run?

If you go in there and they say GREAT lets do this for XXX.XX now I need to see your insurance. that's when you can tell them what ever. if your good a gab. "like me" you can play if off with NO problem.
Hhowever you need to be prepaired for anythign and everything.
working under the gun is NO fun. running around like a Chicken with it's head cut off, trying to get things done at the last minute.

God Bless

scagrider22
01-19-2010, 10:28 PM
It is/ and it is NOT.
you want to have a plan. a GOAL. ask where do you want to go? what type of Company do you want to run?

If you go in there and they say GREAT lets do this for XXX.XX now I need to see your insurance. that's when you can tell them what ever. if your good a gab. "like me" you can play if off with NO problem.
Hhowever you need to be prepaired for anythign and everything.
working under the gun is NO fun. running around like a Chicken with it's head cut off, trying to get things done at the last minute.

God Bless

Well said. My first year of business full time was 2001 and I went out and got many accounts before having anything I didnt even have a mower I know that sounds risky but like the post said it can be done with good plannig. I did this so I would have a better idea of what kind and how much equipment I would need, good luck, now is the time to get after those commercial accounts.

GreenGuy12
01-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Guys thanks for the info. That is kind of what I wanted to hear. I know many people will say that I'm crazy to do this, but I can't afford to quit my job, buy equipment, only to find out I can't make a living. Thanks for your responses. From what I've read on here, I am seeing that the average rate is roughly $100/hr. Do you guys agree that this number is accurate? Like I said I'm new to the business side of things here, I've ran the machinery, but never gone out and been my own boss. Will most commercial businesses give you a RFQ stating what they are looking to have done through the season? Such as: mowing, mulch, planting, etc. Too many questions to ask! Again, thanks!

SangerLawn
01-20-2010, 06:39 AM
I believe you misunderstood on the hourly rate. Most companies are charging between $30-$65 per hour depending where you live. You will find the southern states like texas are getting better rates then the northern states. I am in southern Indiana and our rates are around $35-$40 per hour.

I defiantly agree with the above posts. Sometimes you have to sell things before you have the equipment to do the job. Otherwise you end up spending money on things you do not need. I do however recommend not taking any commercial properties for the first year. Most of the time you only get 1 chance to make a name for yourself. take a year of doing nothing but residential properties to get some experience of the lawn care business under your belt before going big.

Grass Shark
01-20-2010, 10:38 AM
I believe you misunderstood on the hourly rate. Most companies are charging between $30-$65 per hour depending where you live. You will find the southern states like texas are getting better rates then the northern states. I am in southern Indiana and our rates are around $35-$40 per hour.

I defiantly agree with the above posts. Sometimes you have to sell things before you have the equipment to do the job. Otherwise you end up spending money on things you do not need. I do however recommend not taking any commercial properties for the first year. Most of the time you only get 1 chance to make a name for yourself. take a year of doing nothing but residential properties to get some experience of the lawn care business under your belt before going big.

I agree and think you could make a big mistake by taking something so overwhelming, if you bomb your DONE. Get some residentials for your first year. Next year you will look back and say I can't believe how much I didn't know!