PDA

View Full Version : Adding mulching as a service-any advice?

lawnsaspire
01-20-2010, 12:58 AM
I've had a mowing and lawncare service for 3 years now. I'm thinking of mulching flower beds as a service. Any tips on how how to get started?
Specifically-Ideas for where to purchase mulch? Do you charge something for making the trip to purchase the mulch if they don't already have it? Do you advertise for mulching primarily with current customers or how? And anything else pertinent to getting started. Thank you.

echeandia
01-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Wow. I can't believe that in three years not one of your customers hasn't asked you to do some kind of cleanup and mulch.

In answer to your questions: We buy mulch from nurseries and a mill. Whoever is closest to the job site. Everything we do is factored into our prices, so yes the cost of the trip is included. I have never done a job were the customer supplied the mulch as we make money on the mulch too. We list a variety of services that we perform on all of our advertising material. I hope this helps.

grass choppers
01-20-2010, 06:35 PM
lawnaspire go to your nearest supply shop and get prices then mark it up for the drive and labor by me its about 25.oo a yard which covers about 100 sq 2 in thick

epicklein22
01-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Yup, you gotta make some money off the mulch, plus your labor. $25 sounds about right.

Mulch prices vary widely, but a large mill or similar outfit is the best place to find cheap mulch. $19 a yard is pretty standard around here, but that price can be beat easily by some large companies.

Pjslawncare
01-20-2010, 07:55 PM
A good rule of thumb to an extent is to charge 3x your price of the mulch per yard. I.E. Customer needs 6 yards @ $25/Yard, that's $150x3 installed. Again, this is just something to go off of as each job is different.

meicher806
01-22-2010, 04:33 PM
I used customer supplied mulch 1 time, it was a PITA, I told them what it was going to be if we supplied the mulch, they said they could get it cheaper, so they did, they were shorted on there load, so we had to come back to finish after the other co. brought more out. from that point on its we supply and install or find some other yahoo that has time to waste, if we would have supplied we could have run back to the shop got some more and it would have matched and the job would have been done in 2 days not 3. my prices very depending on the type of much being installed. and the quanity. i will cut a break for resi's with 25+ yards.

pitrack
01-22-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree it's never a good idea to have the customers supply the mulch. Just try adding a little side note on your mowing bills that you are offering mulching now and to let you know if they need their beds freshened up.