PDA

View Full Version : which one 36" quick or ferris 32" hydrocut

cpt87gn
01-20-2010, 02:40 PM
which one would you rather have both have low hours the quick has a 15hp kawasakie the ferris i think a 13hp kawasakie both are single hydro
ill be doing mostly small residential bermuda and some st augustine in san antonio tx this would be my main mower thank you for the input

Richard Martin
01-20-2010, 03:03 PM
The Ferris does not have as much trouble in wet grass. It's also significantly easier to change deck height on the Ferris than the Quick. The Ferris also has timed blades which produces a better cut. The Ferris is about 8 inches longer and weighs about 50 pounds more. The Ferris uses standard 36" mower blades with plenty of options for blades and I think (but I'm not positive) that the Quick uses a special blade made just for the Quick and you're limited to those blades that Quick sells. The Ferris has a nationwide network of dealers and the Quick parts are only available from Quick in NC with the exception of engine parts (you can buy them anywhere).

lawnkingforever
01-20-2010, 03:22 PM
I will not comment on the Quick, as I have not used one. But you cant go wrong with the Ferris and don't worry about the single hydro it will still handle well, being it is only a 32". This size mower will be a great asset to you. Right now it can be your main mower and if you grow and buy a larger WB, it will be a great mower for small and gated yards.

dishboy
01-20-2010, 06:17 PM
If it is a Ferris 36 with timed blades I would be all over it, other wise I would pass on both.

cpt87gn
01-20-2010, 08:59 PM
cool thanks for the info Quick owners have any coments

TPS
01-20-2010, 09:43 PM
I have a Quick 32, get the Ferris. It is easier to change the deck height has a better bagging system. I'm hoping to upgrade to the Ferris soon.

cpt87gn
01-20-2010, 09:53 PM
the guy said it was a 2008 and it was NOt a timed blade back up mower
does timed blades make a difference and how

lifetree
01-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I would recommend the Quick machine !!

Richard Martin
01-21-2010, 05:17 AM

Because? What is there on the Quick that is better than the Ferris? I mean I know you're a huge proponent of the Quick mowers and all that's fine, but just this once, try to be objective.

dishboy
01-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Because? What is there on the Quick that is better than the Ferris? I mean I know you're a huge proponent of the Quick mowers and all that's fine, but just this once, try to be objective.

Did you not know it was a desirable quality to spew wet clippings all over the sidewalk because the tunnel deck packed or have to get the 21" out because the 36" machine is actually 39"and will not fit through a 36" gate like a Exmark or Bobcat 36". How else do we get our exercise if we don't have to walk a extra two miles a day or lay on our backs scraping decks.

WHIPPLE5.7
01-21-2010, 11:33 AM

Ok you are just too big of an advocate of BOP. You must have made a deal with them for a discount on your mower if you brag them up on LS. They have not addressed the issue of the decks and show no interest in doing so. I was in the market for another 36" because my Quick is a pain in the ass in wet. I also needed a larger deck machine for some bigger work too so I ended up with a JD tractor that has power steering, power deck up/down, hydro fittings front and rear for attachments, and shaft driven deck. It had 390 hours and I got it for $1250.00. I wasn't even in the market for a tractor type but these things are way beyond normal quality at way less price just because they aren't ZTR. Next year I for sure end up with an Exmark 36 TTHP or a Scag 36. I'll probably keep the Quick 36 mainly I'd have to likely almost give it away to get rid of it. Please look outside the box though, its seems like BOP is the only thing you can talk about.

Valk
01-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Since you want to compare a Quick 36 to a Ferris Hydrocut 32 - the true differences are that the Quick 36 is 15" shorter at 59" vs 74". The mower weights and tire sizes are quite comparable for rutting purposes.

A Quickie 32 is 8" shorter than the Ferris Hydrocut 32. I own a Q32 and am pleased with it. I use an Oregon single notched blade and I believe I have less grass packing issues than with the factory hi-lifts. Oregon may not make a comparable blade for a 3-bladed Q36.

The Ferris only comes with a 13hp KAW, whereas the Quicks can be had with up to 16hp Kaw.

I post this for the OP's consideration. How either mower will mow in Southern grasses is better left to those more in the know. I will say that my 2 Bermuda lawns look great and I actually prefer to cut them in the AM so any slight amount of dew will counteract the Bermuda dust...as I side discharge both at 3-4".

That Ferris looks pretty intriguing actually...it's too bad their website has them listed at 7' 4" istead of the actual 74". How much are they?

Valk
01-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I would also like to point out that the Ferris Hydrocut 32 may not have the timed blades...as their website only credits their 36 with having this feature.

lifetree
01-21-2010, 09:03 PM
... I know you're a huge proponent of the Quick mowers and all that's fine, but just this once, try to be objective.

Objectivity is the basis of my comments ... I've owned a SnapperPRO 32" WB, an Exmark 36" WB, a Quick 36" single hydro and a Billy Goat 33" WB ... the Quick 36" Dually Samurai that I have now is the best of all these machines !!

... How else do we get our exercise if we don't have to walk a extra two miles a day or lay on our backs scraping decks.

By chomping down on all the Little Debbie Twinkies while driving between your accounts throughout the day ... you know, all that jaw action is very tiring !! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ok you are just too big of an advocate of BOP. You must have made a deal with them for a discount on your mower if you brag them up on LS. ... I'll probably keep the Quick 36 mainly I'd have to likely almost give it away to get rid of it. Please look outside the box though, its seems like BOP is the only thing you can talk about.

Typical stuff spewed out by those that need to find some way to be negative !! Bottom line here is that you said you're going to keep your Q-36. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Since you want to compare a Quick 36 to a Ferris Hydrocut 32 - the true differences are that the Quick 36 is 15" shorter at 59" vs 74". ... A Quickie 32 is 8" shorter than the Ferris Hydrocut 32. ... The Ferris only comes with a 13hp KAW, whereas the Quicks can be had with up to 16hp Kaw. ... I would also like to point out that the Ferris Hydrocut 32 may not have the timed blades ... as their website only credits their 36 with having this feature.

Thanks Valk ... all these reasons and many more are why I recommend the Quick series machines !!

Yater
01-21-2010, 09:17 PM
I replaced my Q36 with a metro 36". The quick was cheap, but I lost money double cutting.

WHIPPLE5.7
01-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Typical stuff spewed out by those that need to find some way to be negative !! Bottom line here is that you said you're going to keep your Q-36. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Did you read why, once again its because I probably couldn't give it away. And I'm stating more of a fact than merely being negative. To bad for them the truth just leans that way. I've had many days of propping my Quick up in the front of someone's yard trying to unclog the build. Then I have to go over it 3 times to help hide the vomit spots the deck makes. Many times you will go 20-30 feet without anything coming out side and then bammo you get 100 pounds of wet blob just puke all over one spot. How lovely. I'm standing there scratching my head feeling like a jackass because of this mess. But no its all in my head and I'm just being negative:hammerhead: When I get another 36 I'll be sure to compare the two and leave a feedback since every other thread on here is asking about them:waving:

Richard Martin
01-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks Valk ... all these reasons and many more are why I recommend the Quick series machines !!

So the Quick is shorter and has a bigger engine. What argument of substance do you have? At best it's a toss up between the two mowers. The Ferris does have a nationwide network of dealers though and that would be a deciding factor for me. That and everytime you turn around there's another half dozen people complaining about the Quick packing up the deck.

cpt87gn
01-21-2010, 10:19 PM
can some one explain the timed blades because the 32" is NOT TIMED are the timed blades that much better

dishboy
01-21-2010, 11:26 PM
can some one explain the timed blades because the 32" is NOT TIMED are the timed blades that much better

YES!, timed blades are on the best cutting machines IMO. Timed blades make a more compact mower and follow the contour better because they are in the same position in relation to the wheels. IMO they mulch better because they intersect. IMO they can more easily control pressure so cutting quality can be better. Timed blades overlap and don't leave standing grass in long grass when turning.

Turf Dawg
01-22-2010, 02:00 AM
YES!, timed blades are on the best cutting machines IMO. Timed blades make a more compact mower and follow the contour better because they are in the same position in relation to the wheels. IMO they mulch better because they intersect. IMO they can more easily control pressure so cutting quality can be better. Timed blades overlap and don't leave standing grass in long grass when turning.

I have to agree with you on the cut quality of timed blades. The best cutting mower in the small walkbehind group that I have owned was not even a commercial mower. It was a Troybilt 33" that had the timed blades. I have had a Scag 36, Gravely 32 and a Gravely36 and with much kits on nice lawns they did not cut near as good as that light built Troybilt, [I really wish I would have kept it and rebuilt what was wrong]. Just be aware that these single hydro units do not do well on slopes going sideways.