PDA

View Full Version : Oil additive?

srl28
01-20-2010, 05:27 PM
One of our diesel engines, duramax 6.6, has had some minor leaks in the seals around the block. Nothing major, just every couple of months right before the oil change we ll notice it gets a little low. No biggie. Question here is it seems that the oil is breaking down. Sooner than any other vehicles. Oil pressure hangs out at the low side of the gauge at idle and not a whole lot higher until you really start driving. ANy additives to throw into the oil to basically stiffen it up some? Almost like a radiator stop-leak but for the oil.

P&C Lawn Care
01-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Sorry no advice for additives, not sure I would want to plug stuff up in the block, however I have a duramax that has low pressure on idle and seems to be loosing a little bit of oil too. I think it would be cheaper to just add a quart of oil instead of risking putting some additive into the engine. DUramax replacement isn't cheap. I used syn Rotello and it doesn't seem to break down any faster than any other engine.

srl28
01-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Yours does it too? Heard this from a couple of people now. You find the synthetic is better?

Gravel Rat
01-20-2010, 08:11 PM
If you have oil leaks there is no choice but fix them. As for oil pressure the only way you are going to know is with a mechanical gauge the stock one isn't reliable.

With a mechanical gauge on a warm engine you should see 30 PSI or a little lower. I never did trust electric gauges they are not accurate you could have a failing oil pressure switch and it gives you a false pressure reading.

J&R Landscaping
01-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Not sure if it helps but I run a quart of Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer in both my trucks. I run in in my car engines as well! If you have an oil burning issue, this will reduce that a little bit depending on how bad the problem is.

ranger350
01-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Don't use oil additives. Oils are forumlated with correct levels for whatever application. Adding stuff to it could make the oil less effective. If you have a leak then fixing it is the only solution. Lucas oil looks good on the counter in their fancy display but it independant tests it actually aerates the oil when running in the engine, and last i checked air doesnt lubricate.

srl28
01-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Thats what I was looking for J & R, And GR yes we know it needs to be fixed however mechanic said it would take quite some time to pull the stuff apart and get the new seals in there. Cant afford to have the truck laid up that long as of right now but soon. Must be done!

ranger350
01-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Thats what I was looking for J & R, And GR yes we know it needs to be fixed however mechanic said it would take quite some time to pull the stuff apart and get the new seals in there. Cant afford to have the truck laid up that long as of right now but soon. Must be done!

as long as its not pouring out I wouldnt worry about it to much

Gravel Rat
01-20-2010, 10:49 PM
If its leaking you really don't want to be running synthetic it is a little expensive.

No don't run that Lucas crap it will distroy your engine its snake oil.

In the summer run a straight 30w it will keep the oil leaks a little less even maybe run 40w it is a little heavier usually for 2 stroke detroits just watch it usually is a little higher detergent oil.

If the leaks are real bad strap some oil diapers under the engine to catch the leaks :laugh:

srl28
01-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Ha oil diapers! we run Rotella 15 40 in all the diesels, always have. Not the synthetic. When I say it leaks, it hardly leaks, about 2 quarts over say 4 months or more. Hard to tell. Any idea what it would cost to get the seals re done?

Gravel Rat
01-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Thats it only 2 quarts oh crap thats nothing a old 2 stroke detroits I used to drive would leak that in 20 minutes :laugh:

It all depends on what is leaking if its valve covers they are not bad to change. It is a oil pan or a rear main seal but that usually gushes or the front crank seal that weeps abit.

A oil pan is a pain the engine has to come out.

srl28
01-20-2010, 11:18 PM
May have been the main seal and the valve covers. Bottom seal on the pan seemed alright last I was under it.

360ci
01-21-2010, 07:04 PM
don't use oil additives. Oils are forumlated with correct levels for whatever application. Adding stuff to it could make the oil less effective. If you have a leak then fixing it is the only solution. Lucas oil looks good on the counter in their fancy display but it independant tests it actually aerates the oil when running in the engine, and last i checked air doesnt lubricate.

. X2

Valk
01-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Are oil additives designed to be used just prior to an oil change of any value?

P&C Lawn Care
02-01-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't know where the leak goes to, I've never seen any leaks but it does go low so it is either leaking or burning it. I will never use anything but syn oil in all my vehicles or equipment. But I do cheat and buy the Walmart brand synthetic for the gas burners.