PDA

View Full Version : Timed blades?

MikeKle
01-20-2010, 07:58 PM
I recently learned all ferris mowers have timed blades, anyone know what this refers to? I am just guessing, but, when I remove the blades for servicing, should I be installing them all in the same position, like facing the same direction, and in the same spot as all the others? This doesnt make too much sense to me, but then again, Ive never heard of timed blades, and the manual does not mention it at all? What happens if I install the blades the wrong way? I just make sure the blades are all right side up, so the cutting edge is facing down, but the actual position of the blade in the deck is not something I even pay attention to when re-installing them. Maybe I should be? Thanks.

mjschue
01-20-2010, 08:13 PM
I rAN INTO THIS ON A WALKER MOWER when I was very young. Working for a farmer he had me sharpen the blades, I put em on and tried mowing. I'll never forget the noise!:cry: Instsall the center blade 90 degrees from the outside 2. ( I assume 3 blade machine) You need to at least make sure the blades do not intefere with eachother when they spin.

dishboy
01-20-2010, 08:20 PM
I recently learned all ferris mowers have timed blades, anyone know what this refers to? I am just guessing, but, when I remove the blades for servicing, should I be installing them all in the same position, like facing the same direction, and in the same spot as all the others? This doesnt make too much sense to me, but then again, Ive never heard of timed blades, and the manual does not mention it at all? What happens if I install the blades the wrong way? I just make sure the blades are all right side up, so the cutting edge is facing down, but the actual position of the blade in the deck is not something I even pay attention to when re-installing them. Maybe I should be? Thanks.

The only Ferris I know of having timed blades is the Hydrocut 36"

Richard Martin
01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
You can't put the blades on a Ferris timed deck wrong. There is a cradle they fit into that prevents it. The blade belt is cogged as are the spindle pullies. The blades are always at a 90 degree angle to each other.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/DSC00520.jpg

MikeKle
01-20-2010, 08:43 PM
I guess it must be the hydro cut only then because I do not have a cogged belt or pulley like that. My ferris deck is similar to a exmark metro, where is the blade bolts go all the way thru the spindle and out the top of the deck, and the bolt is tightened on top of the deck. Thanks though. I guess it doesnt really matter the position of the blade in my deck, as long as they do not hit each other, and I think I would notice that real quick!!!! Im not sure if they overlap or not, but I do not think so, I think there is around a 1/8" gap or smaller, between the blades.