PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Mulch Around Yards

Jays Green Daze Landscape
01-20-2010, 08:06 PM
How do guys transport mulch through yards from the drive to the back other than wheelbarrows. I was thinking of buying some kind of cart that I could bolt to a 60" Exmark but not sure if they even make such a thing let alone where to buy it. Any advice will be appreciated.

Jays Green Daze Landscape
01-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Haha....I just saw the post entitled "Onsite Mulch Transport" talking about this exact same question. For some reason when I did a search on this topic I must have skipped over it. Mods please delete this posting

clean_cut
01-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I was about to say, wasn't there just a post about this? Did you find all that you needed.

Crash
02-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Wheelbarrows and hard workers.

starscream
02-12-2010, 06:32 PM
I can't think of anything easier than wheelbarrows, If it ain't broke....

Portland Landscape (http://www.paradiserestored.com/index.htm)

IRRITECH
02-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Wheelbarrows and hard workers.

You should qualify that statement.

"Wheelbarrows and Mexicans"

stevenf
02-12-2010, 08:51 PM
This is a small titlt trailer I have been working out. Plan to pull it around with my mower or ATV. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=304383

White Gardens
02-12-2010, 09:52 PM
There was one thread on here where a guy modified a walk-behind toro. He kept the sulky and mounted a large wheel-barrow tub on it. Looked pretty slick and I'm thinking about trying to make one.

Barefoot James
02-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Ventrac tractors with a slip scoop - cuts time by 2/3. Saves your back too.
Big job we do each year used to take 60 man hours and 3 very tired dudes (with aching backs) after 2 days - last year took 3 guys 21 man hours in one day and all 2 guys did was rake/spread and I drove the ventrac - very easy day. Any small tractor with a slip scoop would work, but Ventracs have turf tires so they are much easier on the lawn.

White Gardens
02-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Ventrac tractors with a slip scoop - cuts time by 2/3. Saves your back too.
Big job we do each year used to take 60 man hours and 3 very tired dudes (with aching backs) after 2 days - last year took 3 guys 21 man hours in one day and all 2 guys did was rake/spread and I drove the ventrac - very easy day. Any small tractor with a slip scoop would work, but Ventracs have turf tires so they are much easier on the lawn.

That is my only concern when it comes to machines. Depending on the situation of course.

Basically there is a fine line between throwing mulch to help the landscape and then hurting the lawn.

clean_cut
02-13-2010, 11:20 AM
There was one thread on here where a guy modified a walk-behind toro. He kept the sulky and mounted a large wheel-barrow tub on it. Looked pretty slick and I'm thinking about trying to make one.

Would you happen to know the tread, I'd be very interested in it if you could give me the name :)

Barefoot James
02-13-2010, 11:52 AM
www.jrcoinc.com has tubs you can mount on your mowers.

White Gardens
02-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Would you happen to know the tread, I'd be very interested in it if you could give me the name :)

www.jrcoinc.com has tubs you can mount on your mowers.

You know, I can't remember. It was a thread on modified equipment, but I can't remember the name of the thread, or what key words to type in the search.

The thing was slick, and I have actually heard of people modifying them, but this guy did his right.

I might search around and see if I can find it. It's been almost a year since I've seen it.

P.Services
02-13-2010, 06:47 PM
one machine to fix your problems....... Ditchwitch Zahn.

KPW LawnCare
02-15-2010, 05:13 PM
You mean this. I cant find the actual thread right now.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=252500&highlight=toro+wheelbarrow

White Gardens
02-15-2010, 07:09 PM
You mean this. I cant find the actual thread right now.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=252500&highlight=toro+wheelbarrow

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Yes, that was it. Thanks KPW.

P.Services
02-15-2010, 07:11 PM
you still have to load it by hand, a zahn you dont. takes all the work out of it.

KPW LawnCare
02-15-2010, 07:13 PM
No problem man haha, I know he had a full build thread for it but couldnt find it, as said before jrco has the rub thing that I have been looking at getting.
http://www.jrcoinc.com/product.asp?id=8

Or you can get in on ebay from SLE Equipment and you get the tray and tub for $310.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-JRCO-COMMERCIAL-TRANSPORTER-TRAY-W-TUB-PACKAGE_W0QQitemZ360228575273QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53df4bd829

DiyDave
02-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I use an ASV Rc 30 with a big bucket, or my grapple, I can place and spread 30+ yards in a 8 hour day, depending on terrain. Its a mexican killer, I need to get me some sombrero stickers, to put on the side of it!:laugh::laugh::waving:

White Gardens
02-15-2010, 08:53 PM
you still have to load it by hand, a zahn you dont. takes all the work out of it.

The only issue I see with the zahn is the weight. I like the fact that it is articulating to minimize wear and tear on the lawn. I think that is what I find the most appealing about the converted walk behind. Much less weight.

Loading mulch is actually one of the easier things to do out of a dump trailer or dump truck. It only take three good scoops and the wheelbarrow is full.

The ultimate get up would be the guy on LS who uses a rock/aggregate shooter truck to install 25 yards of mulch in 3 hours.

No problem man haha, I know he had a full build thread for it but couldnt find it, as said before jrco has the rub thing that I have been looking at getting.

I'm not digging the square tub of the jrco. I think that even a large capacity 10 cubic feet tub would work better.

I also like the frame mods on walk behind. making the front castors pivot to keep all four wheels on the ground I think was the best idea.

KPW LawnCare
02-16-2010, 02:58 PM
This might help out a lot.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=139655&highlight=wheel+barrow

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/560460048MDyJsS?vhost=home-and-garden

exmark232
02-17-2010, 09:10 AM
i like the use of concret buggie or georgia buggy but the con is you can turf up the lawn

head_start
02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
did anybody say a mule or a gator? thats how i have seen it done, and how i moved rocks. just load it in the back and drive like you have some sense and it works ok.

KPW LawnCare
02-17-2010, 03:24 PM
That would be a great idea if you have an extra 6k laying around.

White Gardens
02-17-2010, 06:02 PM
So after following this thread a little more here is what it comes down to for me and I've stated it before.

Money, efficiency, and ultimately weight are the key factors for any sort of mulch buggy.

I feel the zahn is a little big, but not by much. If you were doing apartment complexes, parking lots, ect.. then it would work. But otherwise I would be afraid about compaction/light rutting on smaller yards.

I would use the mules and self loaders primarily for rock/stone jobs as you are moving more weight. To me they just don't hold enough light material to be productive, and you still have to walk behind it.

I like the modified walk-behind with the wheelbarrow tub. The sulky is key I think and you eliminate walking and the extra labor. Not only that but it is light and can get the job done in smaller spaces and softer soils.

Barefoot James
02-18-2010, 11:06 AM
White Gardens -

Yep good summary - you really have to determine if you are going to aggressively get after the mulch jobs or not. The other factor to consider is if you got a gator, zahn or ventrac could you do more jobs with them to make this a profitable investment. Too many folks on here look at how much stuf costs and don't really equate time savings, labor savings, pay roll, taxes, ins, etc. Like I posted earlier - just ONE job I use my Ventrac/slip scoop for will save me 40 man hours @ $15 per hour that's $600. but You also have to consider I can use those man hours someplace else too so it is actually compounded savings. Just looking at that $600 is roughly 10% of the cost of what I paid for that piece of equipment - I also have gotton about 10K in other work in 2009 and another few thousand just puttering around doing some small snow jobs around my house this winter, so in this case it worked for me from a profitablity stand point. Now if I really get after mulch jobs in 2010 I can make some big $$.

Crash
02-18-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't know, I still don't think anything is faster than guys pushing wheelbarrows. I mean, all this stuff you're talking about is cool, and I'm all for time saving equipment, but how much mulch can you really fit in the dump of a gator? Or in what's basically a motorized wheelbarrow that probably goes around 3 mph? I know everyone doesn't have a dump truck, but man, if you do, nothing is faster than two wheelbarrows, two pitch forks and a dump truck. Tilt the bed up, scrape the mulch in, and power that baby back there with man power. You can push a wheelbarrow pretty quick if you know what I mean.

The other thing is, how much access do you have to the beds you're mulching, and in the beds themselves? With a wheelbarrow, you can basically put the piles wherever you want them, behind plants, in between two plants, all the way to the back of a deep bed. With a gator or other power equipment how much time are you actually saving? You're gonna have to stop at the front of the bed and throw the mulch where you want it anyway. Now, in a totally open big bed...I could agree with you their. We use a skid or tractor whenever it's gonna be a time saver, but the majority of the time, their's already plants in the beds you're mulching, so it's kinda hard to use that kind of equipment.

Just my two cents. To each his own :)

Barefoot James
02-18-2010, 03:07 PM
I don't know, I still don't think anything is faster than guys pushing wheelbarrows. I mean, all this stuff you're talking about is cool, and I'm all for time saving equipment, but how much mulch can you really fit in the dump of a gator? Or in what's basically a motorized wheelbarrow that probably goes around 3 mph? I know everyone doesn't have a dump truck, but man, if you do, nothing is faster than two wheelbarrows, two pitch forks and a dump truck. Tilt the bed up, scrape the mulch in, and power that baby back there with man power. You can push a wheelbarrow pretty quick if you know what I mean. NO I HAVE KNOW IDEA WHAT YOU MEAN - LET'S SEE A VENTRAC WITH SLIP SCOOP AND TURF TIRES GOING 10MPH VS A GUY AND WHEEL BARROW GOING ABOUT 1 MPH FOR 10 STRAIGH HOURS - HUH:dizzy:

The other thing is, how much access do you have to the beds you're mulching, and in the beds themselves? With a wheelbarrow, you can basically put the piles wherever you want them, behind plants, in between two plants, all the way to the back of a deep bed. With a gator or other power equipment how much time are you actually saving? i CAN GET A VENTRAC INTO THE BED JUST ABOUT AS GOOD AS YOU CAN GET THE WB - IN 95% OF THE TIME. IF YOUR READ ABOVE POSTS I JUST TOLD YOU I SAVED 40 MAN HOURS ON A 60 YARD MULCH JOB WHEN YOU HAVE JOBS THAT BIG HAVE THE MULCH COMPANY DUMP IT ON SITE. 40 HOURS IS A LOT OF TIME. IF IT IS A 2 YARD MULCH JOB THEN THE WHEEL BARROW WILL BE PRETTY MUCH THE SAME.

You're gonna have to stop at the front of the bed and throw the mulch where you want it anyway. Now, in a totally open big bed...I could agree with you their. We use a skid or tractor whenever it's gonna be a time saver, but the majority of the time, their's already plants in the beds you're mulching, so it's kinda hard to use that kind of equipment.

Just my two cents. To each his own :)

NOTE COMMENTS IN CAPS - THIS THREAD IS ABOUT TRANSPORTING MULCH? MY POINT IS WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS YOU CAN MAKE MORE MONEY WITH LESS MAN HOURS. AN EVEN BETTER TOOL IS A FINN BARK BLOWER. tHE OTHER END OF THE SPECTRUM WOULD BE TO CARRY IT IN YOUR HANDS:laugh:

Crash
02-18-2010, 04:10 PM
NOTE COMMENTS IN CAPS - THIS THREAD IS ABOUT TRANSPORTING MULCH? MY POINT IS WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS YOU CAN MAKE MORE MONEY WITH LESS MAN HOURS. AN EVEN BETTER TOOL IS A FINN BARK BLOWER. tHE OTHER END OF THE SPECTRUM WOULD BE TO CARRY IT IN YOUR HANDS:laugh:

Ummm, ok. Thanks for your thoughts I guess:confused: It's nice to know what you think about my thoughts on moving mulch. I thought the poster was asking what people thought about moving mulch. I put my two cents in, as did you...and a bunch of other people. Did I quote your post in my comment and contradict something that you said? No. I was stating my opinion on the matter. Thanks for your input though:waving:

Ben I
02-18-2010, 06:33 PM
That JRco stuff looks pretty good, I like the leaf blade and tub. . anyone use this stuff or have any idea about prices?

KPW LawnCare
02-18-2010, 06:44 PM
That JRco stuff looks pretty good, I like the leaf blade and tub. . anyone use this stuff or have any idea about prices?

Yea here is a place online that has them.

Tub- $310 http://cgi.ebay.com/New-JRCO-COMMERCIAL-TRANSPORTER-TRAY-W-TUB-PACKAGE_W0QQitemZ360228575273QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53df4bd829

Rake- $500 http://cgi.ebay.com/New-JRCO-COMMERCIAL-LEAF-BLADE-PLOW-ZERO-TURN-LAWN-MOW_W0QQitemZ350310584309QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5190234ff5

http://stores.ebay.com/Southern-Mower-Sales

KPW LawnCare
02-18-2010, 06:49 PM
You also need this for the tub its $105 http://cgi.ebay.com/New-JRCO-MOUNT-BAR-PACKAGE-ZERO-TURN-LAWN-MOWER_W0QQitemZ350307682418QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518ff70872

LB1234
02-18-2010, 09:13 PM
been using our dingo 425 wide track for years. Both to transport the mulch AND to load wheelbarrels. Our most efficient crew is one guy spreading, two with barrels and one on a dingo. IMHO the hardest part of mulch is loading the barrels. Takes about ten seconds with a dingo. In between the two guys running barrels the dingo would also take a trip across the lawn to the easily accessible places. just my two cents...btw mulch for us is the #1 profiting service in our business.

hardscaper
03-25-2010, 11:18 AM
We use these

ike1018
06-21-2010, 01:58 PM
What is it? Where did you get it?

ike1018
06-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Found my own answer, they are manufactured in the UK http://www.cormidiplant.co.uk/cormidiproducts.html

peahlybros.
06-25-2010, 11:00 PM
I am looking to get an old cushman type cart with the rear pto and dumpbed. We have a few at the golf course I work at and they are awsome. They can transport some serious weight (like a pallet of sod). The rear PTO is cool too for a sander, spreader etc.

b121774
06-26-2010, 12:20 AM
I picked up a couple 10 cubic foot two wheel wheel barrows at tractor supply co. on sale for $99 a peice this spring and they hold double a normal wheelbarrow, maybe even a little more. I use my dump trailer to that holds about 9 yards mulch and dump in as many piles as needed to keep as close to the area as needed. I mulch the same properties every year and this year I eliminated more than a 1/3 of the labor as compared to last year. I use to have the mulch trucked in 20 yards at a time dumped in 2 large piles and then used 2 trash cans filled and put on the deck of my Walkers and then driven to the areas to be spread.

topsites
06-26-2010, 02:12 AM
I'd have to agree that unless you just so happen to have thousands of cash laying around
burning a hole in your pocket, most of this power equipment is nice to dream about but
otherwise as much a waste of time and money.

A lot of these power barrows don't hold much, maybe the bigger ones do but I know for a fact
machines like the dingo don't hold but 4-6 maybe 8 cu.ft.
And they cost 20 thousand dollars new.
Oh, and they really only do move at like 3 mph.
Slow as molasses, I ain't the fastest worker but I can and do push barrow faster than that!
Then you have to be SUPER careful that your ALL wheel drive (or in this case tracks)
don't tear up the yard, it takes extra time anytime you're turning just because of that.

Cost is the biggest factor, I can justify a $200 barrow a LOT faster than a $20,000 dingo.

So...
After 8+ years of using a single wheel 6 cubic foot barrow, I tell you even that is no joke.
It dawned on me that since all I use is the barrow and the pitchfork, like some guys I spread
mulch straight out of the barrow, and so if I had a bigger barrow it might save a few trips as
walking is what consumes a lot of time.

So I was all set to get a 10 cu.foot barrow but luck would have it they were
out of those and I had to settle for an 8 cu.foot one ($140).

I picked up a couple 10 cubic foot two wheel wheel barrows at tractor supply co. on sale for $99 a peice this spring

Make that a $100 barrow.

Still not a bad deal, the size of the bucket is HUGE, so big in fact that in comparison to my 6 cu.footer I can pile MORE on top because of how big it is.
Yes, I can believe the 10 cu.foot one would hold double what a 6 cu.foot one does.
Now instead of it taking 6-7 barrows a cubic yard, it only takes 4-5.

It is a little bit slower going, the 2 wheels don't make for as smooth a ride as the
single wheel barrows, but the extra size sure makes up for it.

One more thing: The 8+ cubic foot wheel barrow is the first size that I considered and used for hauling brush.
For many years I used to pile brush on a tarp, then haul it Santa Claus style to the trailer.
That's all fine and dandy with the light stuff, but the heavier stuff really BLOWS hauling that way.
And with a regular wheel barrow it just takes forever.
But the larger buckets hold considerable amounts of brush material, especially
the heavy stuff such as wet leaves, dirt, logs, and what have you.
Throw it in with the 10-tine pitchfork, another great tool.

I'm in love, getting a 10 cu.footer soon as I see it.
They're perfect.

beegreenlandcare
06-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Soooo, I take it no one knows how to build anything for themselves???
Here's the deal, I bought a trailer axle for a 4ft wide trailer from a farm supply store, bought the thicker sheet metal and built a mulch cart of my own. i put the heavy duty (wide-low squatty) tires on for a snowmobile trailer and voila' I have a great muclh trailer that holds a little more than a yard of mulch at a time. The axle is rated at 2000 lbs. I can carry a yard of topsoil (S&S) also. I pull it around w/ my 48" Z turn. It goes fast enough and w/ the z turn u can maneuver the back of the cart exactly where you want it. We shovel off the truck but the next idea is to build a funnel that we can just dump directly into the cart w/o any spillage AND save alot of time! The cart is 8 ft long so now we just put it crossways behind the truck and fork/shovel into cart.
Also the trailer has no springs so it sits very low and easy to shovel out of. The bottom is one pc of heet metal so, no seams to catch the shovels on:rolleyes:
Only problem is when I have a yard of soil on it, it gets heavy for driving up into my trailer and the front of the z turn wants to come up:dizzy:
Otherwise an awesome system!!
So folks get out your wire welder, order some steel and invest some time to save alot of time for years afterward!
I'll take royalties for my helpful advice, give me a ring and tell ya where to send the check:laugh:

Darryl G
06-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Wheel barrow most of the time but for bigger jobs I use my tractor with front end loader. If I'm using bagged mulch carrying up on the shoulder works fine too. I've also used a green 60 gallon barrel on the deck of my walk behind mower...it wedges in pretty well against my JRCO tool bar.

robertsturf
06-27-2010, 09:27 PM
We bought a Power Barrow 10 cu ft with a 5 hp Honda, 4 speeds forward, 1 reverse. Great time saver!!

brucec32
07-02-2010, 11:25 AM
I still say try using your ZTR with a hitch on it, a cheap plastic dump cart ($200-$300?) that holds maybe 1/2-2/3 a yd, and pitchfork it in. Get a lightweight cart because the mulch won't tax it weight-wise and a light one can easily be stood up in the trailer or tossed in a truck bed. Heavier duty ones probably not. It's relatively light on turf, can go most places, and sure is fast when distances are longer. The main thing though is it reduces fatigue, especially on hot days. My productivity with mulch in summer heat/high humidity is a fraction of that in the cool months.

The dingo and other loaders would be nice though to load the cart on big jobs where you have 20 or 40 yds of mulch dumped in a pile. But it's not something you'd buy unless you had many other uses for it. Too costly.

And of course, keep a wheelbarrow around for spots you can't reach with the cart. Some tow carts however have the ability to be used as a wheelbarrow, with a handle on the end. Just watch your shins.