PDA

View Full Version : wood edging for paver install

turfquip
03-24-2000, 05:37 PM
<p>Hi everyone....<p>I'm getting ready to remove a slab of deteriated and sunken concrete in front of the garage doors. I will be installing pavers and was wondering what you guys think about using wood as the edging material. I like the versatility of wood from a designer's point of view.<p>Using treated lumber of course, what can I expect as long as life expectancy. Surface drainage will be more than adequate, and industry accepted site preparation methods will be used.<p>Any thoughts?<p>

steveair
03-24-2000, 06:05 PM
Don't do it!!<p>Stick with either the standard plastic or metal edging or use concrete and pour a edge.<br>The wood will not hold up!<p>Why:<p>A. It will shrink<br>B. It will bow<br>C. It will rot eventually, even if treated<br>D. If you plow, kiss it good bye if you hit it.<br>E. It will frost heave, and stick up<br>F. If along a walk, the weedwackers will eat the hell out of it over time.<br>G. Cars driving over it will crack it.<p>Enough reasons?<p>Well, if not, and you really want it still, which I can understand since it does give unique look, Don't expect it to last as long as the edge restrainers do. It may last 5, even 10 years, but it will definitely show weathering, and when you have to redo it because u trip over it everyday, I hope you think the look of it was worth all the work of doing the walk again.

kermit
03-24-2000, 07:35 PM
I haven't seen wood used as edging for years. It cracks and splits and warps and looks like crap very quickly. Wood is also not versatile, it won't do curves like aluminum or plastic. Another point is the expense. I found that preserved wood is expensive and hard to use. It's heavy and has to have dangerous chemicals applied to any cuts you make. Your brick supplier should be able to suggest a local alternative.

Lanelle
03-24-2000, 11:34 PM
The experts definitely discourage the use of wood as an edger. Use an L-shaped edger that is designed to be used with pavers. They are superior in every way as others have mentioned. For a driveway you will want to use the strongest style of edger -- not a light-duty product--due to the lateral stress exerted on the pavers by turning vehicle wheels. Follow professional guidelines for base installation and thickness of pavers so that you don't have to go back in a couple of years to repair a failing driveway. Good luck.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>

paul
03-25-2000, 09:35 PM
Let me give you 2 site to go to.<br>WWW.unilock.com<br>WWW.pavetech.com<p>they have the right instalation products and instructions.<br>stay away from wood<p>----------<br>paul<p><br>