PDA

View Full Version : STIHL trimmer head trouble

JayD
01-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Hey guys, I have a STIHL trimmer that has maybe 4 or 5 hours on it because we just get tired of the thing not working right. I did take it back once and of course they just prove that it must just be us. The problem is that if you don't wind the string JUST right, it wont allow the string to come out. I cant think off the top of my head which model it is, but it is one that has the head where you have to wind the string in two channels.

My question to you guys is this.......would those rapid refills (think that's what there called) solve this problem. I'm just tired of messing with it. I have two echos I can use but I like to rotate them all.

I'm not denying that it is our stupidity, so just relax.

Just Mow
01-21-2010, 01:36 AM
On that head you have to line up the arrows before you turn the knob to wind it. It works well but does not hold enough line for commercial work in my opinion. If it were me I would but the 25-2 head and swap it out. It is the head that comes on the commercial units. Hope this helps.

Jay Ray
01-21-2010, 01:48 AM
On that head you have to line up the arrows before you turn the knob to wind it. It works well but does not hold enough line for commercial work in my opinion. If it were me I would but the 25-2 head and swap it out. It is the head that comes on the commercial units. Hope this helps.

For me the 25-2 has always been easy to load, no need to be finicky winding string on it, and never had a problem in use.

Richard Martin
01-21-2010, 05:27 AM
I also use the 25-2 with no problems. Here's a pic of it just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/79834/4ad72bf403a02_79834n.jpg

There is also a C 25-2 trimmer head that is not the same.

dishboy
01-21-2010, 08:43 AM
I had problems with the same head, it did not like a lighter line wound to feed on one side only. It needs enough mass to pull the mechanism to advance. My solution was to buy a SPEEDFEED.

Richard Martin
01-21-2010, 08:49 AM
I had problems with the same head, it did not like a lighter line wound to feed on one side only.

Why would you do that? Wouldn't that cause a vibration?

dishboy
01-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Why would you do that? Wouldn't that cause a vibration?

The vibration is insignificant running 080. I like the performance characteristics of running one long line. It has several advantages IMO.

JayD
01-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I also use the 25-2 with no problems. Here's a pic of it just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/79834/4ad72bf403a02_79834n.jpg

There is also a C 25-2 trimmer head that is not the same.

Yeah, that looks like the one I'm talking about.....Really no problem...

Well, I guess It is for sure just us then. I will have to pay more attention to it and see what he is doing wrong. My helper is the one that really messes around with it, but its my fault for not giving it much time to look at it. I have maybe for about 30 seconds a couple of times and that's about it. We were always just in too much of a hurry to mess with it.

So do you wind yours real tight or kind of loose.

oh......and thanks for the reply

JayD
01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I had problems with the same head, it did not like a lighter line wound to feed on one side only. It needs enough mass to pull the mechanism to advance. My solution was to buy a SPEEDFEED.

What is a speedfeed.....

Lazer_Z
01-21-2010, 10:35 AM
What is a speedfeed..... Here ya go http://www.shindaiwa.com/mau/en/_docs/88525_EN_SFHD-375-450-LR.pdf

dishboy
01-21-2010, 10:40 AM
What is a speedfeed.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA2qoeToSL8

JayD
01-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Here ya go http://www.shindaiwa.com/mau/en/_docs/88525_EN_SFHD-375-450-LR.pdf

OK........I see. I seen something like that at the GIE show in Oct. but I think it was at a red max booth. there's you did the same kind of thing, you just stick the two ends of string in and turned this knob and it would wind it up for you.

rlitman
01-21-2010, 01:51 PM

Interesting, that looks a lot like the C25-2, but the video shows it only holding 12' of line total. Will it still hold 12' if you only spool it in from one side?
I can wind over twice that on my 25-2 head (about 16' per side of .095"), so even if that is easier to load, you'll be winding line in much more often.

Stihl shows that the 25-2 takes 33' of .095" line, or 23' of .105" line:
http://www.stihlusa.com/information/pdfs/trimmerhead/STIHL_AUTOCUT_25-2_071107.pdf

I'm not going to get into the one line vs two argument (or .080 vs .095), but I can see how the 25-2 wouldn't work well with just one line. For one thing, the unbalanced forces would create much more friction when feeding. And there's less centrifugal force with .080" line, so there's less force available to pull the line out when feeding, fighting more friction. A recipe for problems.
OTOH, that lower centrifugal force, also means less vibration.

Lazer_Z
01-21-2010, 02:07 PM
OK........I see. I seen something like that at the GIE show in Oct. but I think it was at a red max booth. there's you did the same kind of thing, you just stick the two ends of string in and turned this knob and it would wind it up for you.That sounds just like Echo's version, with the Speed Feed you take one piece of trimmer line, line up the holes, feet the trimmer line through and then twist until it's full. It sounds complicated, but just watch (if you haven't) the second youtube link dishboy posted, that basically sums up the head.

Richard Martin
01-21-2010, 03:21 PM
So do you wind yours real tight or kind of loose.

Just kinda like a medium. Are you sure you're not winding the line on backwards? You push the line in the hole and then wind it on in the opposite direction.

I have never had any problem with these heads. I have 3 of them.

JayD
01-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Just kinda like a medium. Are you sure you're not winding the line on backwards? You push the line in the hole and then wind it on in the opposite direction.

I have never had any problem with these heads. I have 3 of them.

Yeah, all most for sure, helper says he does. I will work for a few times then it will just stop feeding. You can bump the head or even push it in while your holding it and still string will not release, but I will just have to watch him better and make sure he does it he right.

MikeKle
01-21-2010, 04:24 PM
i occasionally have this problem on my trimmers, i also have to load the 2 channels on my redmax and the tanaka, but I have had stihls too, and they are all basically the same, except for the head that you install one piece of line instead of two pieces and just have to find the middle of the 20ft piece!! I actually like this type better. When you are loading the 2 channel type, you have to keep it tight and not too much in the top or bottom of the channel, or it will bind up when you go to bump the head for more line. I try to load it like the cable goes on a winch drum, and just hope it doesnt bind.

Valk
01-21-2010, 04:33 PM
As in the picture of the Stihl head, you want to hook the excess/string-ends into the notches shown...NOT the notches below on the end of the ratcheting star tabs. You'll also want to wrap the higher one first...the higher one in the picture = the one closer to the bumphead. Hope this makes sense.

I purchased my first Stihl line trimmer this last Summer...and yeah, it seemed to be a drag to wrap and change spools. It got easier with practice...and the 32' of .095 line it will hold is darn nice - as someone else mentioned.

MikeKle
01-21-2010, 04:40 PM
32 feet?!! Geez, All my trimmers have held around 20ft total, 10feet per channel, maybe squeeze 12ft into each channel, but never 16ft!! Dont they make heads that hold like upwards of 40+feet? I thought they did? It seems I run out of line at the worst possible times.