PDA

View Full Version : need help on equipment

intimidator782
01-21-2010, 12:44 AM
I am semi-new to the industry, i have been mowing for a couple years now for family and a few customers (last year i mowed 7 yards). This year i am hoping to really jump in and get about 30 customers. I have a craftsman push mower which is nearly new and a husqvarna 123L trimmer i use. My dad has a Husqvarna 150BT blower that i have been using and i love it. I was wondering if i could use box store Stihl, Echo, or Husqvarna equipment for the next couple years. My budget is not much. I would have to buy a blower and make some money and buy a new trimmer or whatever. I really need a blower as i am using my dads now. I also need a commercial 21" mower. I do not really need a walk behind yet because i have a lot of gates that they will not fit through and most are small anyway. I have a Craftsman 42" rider that i do big yards with. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

badgerfan
01-21-2010, 01:30 AM
if your planning on doing 30 or more yards, it is probably time to get a commercial mower. Get the accounts first and then maybe try to get your dad to co-sign on a loan for a good ZTR or walk behind

WGLandscapeMaintenance
01-21-2010, 05:46 AM
If your budget is not a lot then maybe you shouldn't be going into business. Just a thought...

lawnkingforever
01-21-2010, 09:17 AM
High end residential equipment will hold up for awhile if it is owner operated and not used by employees. Since cashflow is an issue, use what ever your budget allows at this point. Just be forewarned, using a tractor and a pushmower will be a grind on 30 accounts. If you can't accept this fact either buy a used commercial WB on craigslist or wait until you have the money to do so before trying to get more accounts. Your Husky 123L should hold up for little while. Buy a better one at some point, trimmers take a beating. The 150BT is a great entry level commercial blower, buy your dad's or a new one for $300.

SangerLawn
01-21-2010, 09:27 AM
I started with a push mower with no budget at all so don’t feel bad. When I could afford a trimmer and blower I bought echos. Believe it or not they held up just fine. I used them for 2 full seasons before upgrading to redmax. When I upgraded there was nothing wrong with the echos (they still worked just fine) I just wanted more power.

Save every dime you make on lawns and before long you will be able to afford a walk behind and that will really boost you productivity.

pkra12
01-21-2010, 03:08 PM
I started just like you, my best advice is sell the tractor and get a 36inch walk behind, used if u have to, it will out cut the tractor, if you hustle. It will also look better and fit in most gates. One 36 in walk and a decent pushmower and you can cut 30 average size accounts no problem, i would take a laborer too. Love stihl backpacks

curtk1974
01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Dont let any one tell you that you cant or should'nt do somthing you belive in follow your dreams work hard ,be honest and you will succeed.