PDA

View Full Version : Do better this year?

Smallaxe
01-21-2010, 08:48 AM
I have a notion that there are different things I am going to do this year, than I have done in the past. Certain lawns need deeper roots, better sustainable color through summer heat/drought, etc. etc.

Has anyone come up with ideas about what they are going to do differently this year to make their business - closer to excellent?

echeandia
01-21-2010, 11:35 AM
We will be doing more networking with the intention of getting more business.

RigglePLC
01-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Good question, Smallaxe,
how much deeper would satisfy you? How exactly do you get deeper roots. Your ideas, I am asking.
Are you plannig on more slow-release N? Slow release potash? Better seed?

Smallaxe
01-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Good question, Smallaxe,
how much deeper would satisfy you? How exactly do you get deeper roots. Your ideas, I am asking.
Are you plannig on more slow-release N? Slow release potash? Better seed?

Right now my primary thots are toward applying, innoculated char in solution to wash deeper into the root zone, to be captured by the roots, in sandy soil. I am excited about that prospect. Though experimental.

The other thing that I've decided to do was to actually put down ferts, in the Spring, on lawns that are not irrigated, and yes, it will be slow release... Milorganite and grass clippings.
I realize that I've advocated the elimination of Spring ferts. in the past, due to thatch problems. Non-irrigated lawns are going to only get adequate moisture in the Spring and Fall, so for that reason I've decided to give that a try.

Do you find slow-release Potash to be wortwhile and working for root depth from your experience?

Smallaxe
01-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Of course, the primary focus for me this year, is to build a proper soil structure, for the various lawns I have to work with. That is the reason for these little projects, that I plan.

I believe, that the next big super power in LawnCare will be the one that 'Feeds the soil, and let's the Soil Feed the Plant'. The status quo philosophy, of waste and excess, will be fading fast.

Barefoot James
01-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Hiring someone to mow while I focus on growing my organics/seeding/top dressing/compost tea business. I'm working 70% of my time making 30% of my money (mowing) - while the other 30% of my time is making 70% of my money. $35 an hour mowing - $150 to $300 an hour on the other stuff.
Compost/humus/myco/seeding will get you deeper roots.
Oh and I will have time to play golf.

Smallaxe
01-22-2010, 09:09 AM
My wife and a sub-C, take care of most of the mowing. The business takes a good profit from that fixed income. If we did it with an employeee, instead of sub-contractors, we would likely lose the profit margin, and have to jack up the price to break even.

The thing I miss about doing it myself, is watching the turf develop through the season, and coming up with ideas to make it better. I always do the first time around, just to look things over.

I thot about golf, but most of my free time, always goes to the garden/nursery. :)