PDA

View Full Version : Decade GripStrip anti-vibe wrap for hand-held handles?

olde_blue
01-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Does anyone use Decade's Gripstrip to wrap their handheld power equipment's handles with (eg: http://www.amazon.com/Decade-43425-GripStrip-Absorbing-25-Foot-Bulk/dp/B0019D2D02/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1264086632&sr=8-3. It is supposed to contain the same vibration absorbing gel that their antivibration gloves contains. Does it work?

Scagguy
01-21-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't know, but at that price it had better work.

olde_blue
01-21-2010, 10:59 AM
It's supposed to wrap about 6 tools (less than $12/tool). You can buy a single tool quantity for about $16.

topsites
01-21-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't know, all I've ever done is purchased Echo D-handles for all of my tools.
Nice soft rubber grip plus the handle itself flexes.
Back in the old days, $20 a pop.

But they have gotten pricey...
SRM-260S Handles,
Echo P021000021
FRONT HANDLE ASY
Price: $27.20
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=echo&mn=SRM-260S++S%2FN%3A+07001001+-+07999999&dn=9969
I have about 5-6 of those, all I need.

The good news is I keep all the OEM handles so when I go to a new piece of equipment I reverse the handles
and keep re-using the Echo ones, also the rubber grip part itself is replaceable for a whole lot less $.

I'm guessing the question now is how long would that stick-on tape last?

MikeKle
01-21-2010, 03:36 PM
I re-use the handle grips from my Tanaka trimmer, they had the softest grip I have ever seen, Although I wish I could find a softer grip by the trigger, My redmaxs grip is so hard I get big hard spots on my hands where I hold it! I may get some of that anti-vibration stuff, Anyone know of anything else that serves this same purpose?

Mickhippy
01-21-2010, 04:59 PM
I use a Decade Anti Vibe (white, summer, gel) glove on my left hand when trimming and it seems to help. I would even say a lot! Use something before your fingers get to numb. Im pretty sure I have permanent damage to the nerves in my hand now because I left it to long.

I would like to know if the Gripstrip works so let me know if you use it.

Bob_n_weave
01-21-2010, 05:30 PM
How long has this been on the Market ? If was any good seems there would be some reviews. I don't want to waste $65.

I do wear anti vibration gloves and still get some stiffness in my right hand/fingers. Probably from Weedeater, it can't be bacause im 50 ! right :)

olde_blue
07-23-2011, 07:35 PM
I bought a single-tool quantity of Decade GripStrip last year, and, finally, this spring got around to putting it on the rear handle of my Stihl FS100RX. I have more problems with vibrations from the rear handle than the front. It's heavier on the 100RX

First, about antivibe gloves: I tried a pair of them, and didn't like them. I felt I had to grip the tool harder, because of thickness of the glove, and they ended up causing almost as much discomfort as they releived. And, after 5-6 weeks of wearing them for trimming only, they were pretty worn out (see pic).

The GripStrip is much better. I've been using it for 6 weeks, and it still is in good condition. The outside is rubbery, and it has the antivibe gell in a strip on the inside. It isn't a prefect damper, but it helps keep your hands from going numb. I will not be without it in the future, and I plan to order some for the front handle, next time I have large enough order for free shipping.

Problems:

The wrap disables the safety lever which keeps the trigger from being depressed unless you are holding the trimmer. This hasn't been a problem, but I wouldn't run metal blades with it.

Also, the factory adhesive is worthless. The adhesive is only applied for about 1" at each end of the strip. After a couple of days, the tape-like adhesive began to slip, and the wrap became loose. I used some superglue to glue down the ends, and added a few dots at overlaps in the wrap to prevent movement. It has worked great since. It will be a little difficult to remove without damaging if the throttle cable has to be replaced.