PDA

View Full Version : Plants/shrubs for around a pool

Lech615
05-29-2002, 02:02 PM
I have an above ground pool that I just had installed. I want to landscape around the pool but I am unsure what type of shrubs and plants would be able to survive being splashed by the chlorine water or other swiiming pool chemicals. I live in zone 7, (long Island, NY). Any help you could give me would be graetly appreciated.

My goal is to put mostly evergreen shrubs and a few flowers around for color.

What type of evergreen shrubs could I use? (up to five feet tall)

Will hostas work?

What types of flowers will work? (prefer perrennials)

Thanks Carl:alien:

Russo
05-29-2002, 02:42 PM
Congrats on the pool. Wish I had one.

Consider this rule while choosing plants- Form follows Function

Do you want to deter people from jumpimg in over the sides? Do you want to hide the walls? Do you want screen unsightly areas or provide a wind break?

Just something to get you started, good luck with the project!

Lech615
05-30-2002, 08:31 AM
I basic goals are two things. One to discourage people from jumping in and out of the poo.

The second is to give the pool a more pleasing appearance so that it will blend in better with my backyard. What I really need to know is are there specific plants that would be better for around a pool, or should I just go with the usual types for my area.

Hoping for some help here, thanks.

Carl

Russo
05-30-2002, 09:48 AM
Wish I could be more help, guy. Not sure of any " chlorine tolerant " plants. But if there was any place to find out, I'd say this is it. Good Luck.

weedwoop
05-30-2002, 10:50 PM
I think you could probably plant what ever would work for that location and not worry about the pool splash over. I have drained many gallons from the pool right on the lawn and have never seen any effect. I also notice the weeds grow just fine around the pool. I'm no expert, just my observations.

conepile
06-04-2002, 12:23 PM
If you are maintaining low chlorine ppm levels (1 ppm or less), then it is not really an issue (and your skin, eyes, and suits will thank you). If you are splashing so much water out of the pool as to affect nearby plants, I would be more concerned about the water loss.

Lanelle
06-06-2002, 10:08 PM
I was at a client's home today and noticed the plantings around the pool that seemed to be doing very well. Besides the weeds, ;) the ornamental grass, Miscanthus and the Yucca were healthy. Actually the only things suffering where the shaded sun-loving shrubs.

JimLewis
06-07-2002, 01:17 AM
Not sure if any plants are "chlorine tolerant" but here are some excellent ideas of what looks good around pools;

Fatsia Japonica - Japanese Aralia (a must! Several of them! likes little sun though.)

Fan or Windmill Palms

Hostas

Yuccas

Day Lilly 'Stella D'Oro' (awesome perennial flower which will bloom for 7-9 months! Great tropical look! Use several.)

Agapanthus Grass

Ginkgo Tree

Albizia - Silk Tree

Nandina Domestica 'gulf stream'

Ferns

Musa Acuminada - Banana Tree

New Zealand Flax (awesome!)

And lots of rock - preferably different sizes of river rock.
Man, if you put a little of each of the above, you'd have the coolest looking pool area around. It's a shame but most people have no idea what to do around a pool and just ruin it.