PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question, but I'll ask anyway . . .

amrupp
05-29-2002, 03:31 PM
I'm sold on the idea of a ztr for my one acre lawn. I currently use an old lawn tractor with a 50" cut, and it takes me a little over an hour to mow. Here's my stupid question: Do you overlap your cut with a zero turn the way you have to with a lawn tractor? I figure I overlap a good 8" right now, meaning I'm really only cutting 42". If I can find a decent 44" ztr and cut with little overlap, I may not need to spend the extra $$ for a 50 or 60" cut.

Thanks for your help.

Catcher
05-29-2002, 03:47 PM
Total novice speaking here,
I used to have a tractor and bought a ZTR a year ago; I used to overlap with the tractor as well as I do now with the ZTR.
I am able to keep the overlap down to a minimum with the ZTR, however - I only had 2 or 3 inches on the tractor.
I guess my stupid question is: why are you overlapping 8 inches?

If you're just in the mood for a new toy you may want to give the walkbehinds some consideration. They will give you a better cut than the tractor, are cheaper than a ZTR and probably just about the right size for an acre.

Russo
05-29-2002, 03:51 PM
You will save so much time with a ZTR that the larger deck size may not be worht the extra money. You'll have to overlapp a little with any mower, but the zero turn radius will allow you to mow a strip and then turn 180 degrees and mow the other direction. This is a BIG TIME time saver. If you haven't already, see if you can test one out.

Slightly smaller deck + zero turn radius = probably a wash.( time wise )

amrupp
05-30-2002, 10:08 AM
Catcher -

I overlap about 8" so my tire tracks line up. It may not actually be an entire 8", but I definitely lose a lot of cutting width with overlap. I thought since most ZTR front caster wheels are narrower and may not make much of an impression on the grass, I may not have to worry about lines they create. For example, my neighbor has a commercial 48" WB, with same type caster wheels as many ZTRs, and he overlaps no more than 2 inches.

Thanks for your help. I think I'll still be able to save a decent amount of time with a somewhat smaller ZTR.

Russo
05-30-2002, 04:21 PM
Please let us know if you get one. Hate to be left hanging!

Shultz
05-31-2002, 02:39 AM
I have a ztr for a 1.5 acre lawn and love it. Lots of landscaping to mow around, tree line, and so on. The ZTR is a huge time saver, and the cuts looks much better. There are plus' and minus' to larger decks depending on your lawn-I would at least get the 52".

The commercial equipment maybe overkill, but it'll last a lifetime with PM's for what you'll use it.

A walk behind is the cheaper way to go, but I demo'ed one and with my height 6'4", was a killer on my body-the pro's make it look easy, but I chose to ride for quite a bit more money.

61" Scag Turf Tiger, 22 LC Kawasaki