PDA

View Full Version : Which would you buy?

forgop
01-21-2010, 05:17 PM
This would be strictly for residential use for a 1/2 acre lot. I'm looking to keep in a budget of around $3k and everything I'm considering is around that price point. My choices would be to get a new Ariens/Hustler, a used Great Dane/Everride stander (both have less than 100 hours), or a local Exmark Laser Z 46"/27 HP w/ 1600 hours that claims to cut like new. Obviously, the Exmark provides the most bang for the buck and has a bunch of hours, but I would think I should still get more than enough usage out of it to last me many years.

Does the price on the Exmark seem to be good or bad in your opinion?

topsites
01-21-2010, 05:30 PM
We can eliminate one of those right off, you already said you're on a budget...

Which would you rather have, a 20-year old Ferrari with 160,000 miles on the odometer
or a 1-year old Ford Mustang GT with 10,000 miles on it, they both cost about the same.
Assuming further you have to use this car to drive to-from work every day...

That narrows it down to two.

topsites
01-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Lets make the last one a brand new Nissan Altima.

Thank you now!

djchiodo3
01-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Is that a 1/2 acre with or without a house on it? Why not buy a new walk behind with a velke. If time is not a factor use a push mower. You'll save $3000 and get a lot of exercise. You could buy a new small JD tractor new at Home Depot. When people sell used mowers it is for two reasons. They have been beat to hell or they are at that point where they are going to start costing a lot of money to fix and keep going.

forgop
01-21-2010, 06:54 PM
I currently have a 36" Ferris WB that leaves great stripes, but takes far too long to mow my yard in my opinion. I have to go slow enough with it that it still takes me well over an hour. When I had a 40" ZTR a couple of years ago, I could get it done in 20 minutes.

I may be getting another new Ariens for ~ $2300 that I found online. I won't buy one of those piece of crap John Deere's.

RLLServicesCT
01-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Is that a 1/2 acre with or without a house on it? Why not buy a new walk behind with a velke. If time is not a factor use a push mower. You'll save $3000 and get a lot of exercise. You could buy a new small JD tractor new at Home Depot. When people sell used mowers it is for two reasons. They have been beat to hell or they are at that point where they are going to start costing a lot of money to fix and keep going.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here. People may sell them because they have been beat to hell and that they may have to put a lot of money in replacement costs, yes this is true....however many people may have bitten off more than they could chew (especially with a tougher economy) with the purchase, they are upgrading their units to more modern advancements, or may be getting out of business and these people may have meticulously maintained the machines! Remember, some commercial machines owned by homeowners may have been poorly taken care of with regular maintenance, but whenever a homeowner drops so much coin for a walk behind/ztr, they are usually great with maintenance. Whenever purchasing a used unit, it takes a careful eye to see how the machine was used or abused, and listen carefully to the seller to see if they are being truthful or not. If they took care of their machine, it should certainly show in the cosmetic appearance in conjunction with age, but also how the engine sounds idling and when engaged. Plus, look for decals as well, because the machine may have been painted, and the decals will show wear if older and if its a brand new looking decal on an older unit, it may have been well masked.

djchiodo3
01-21-2010, 10:00 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with you here. People may sell them because they have been beat to hell and that they may have to put a lot of money in replacement costs, yes this is true....however many people may have bitten off more than they could chew (especially with a tougher economy) with the purchase, they are upgrading their units to more modern advancements, or may be getting out of business and these people may have meticulously maintained the machines! Remember, some commercial machines owned by homeowners may have been poorly taken care of with regular maintenance, but whenever a homeowner drops so much coin for a walk behind/ztr, they are usually great with maintenance. Whenever purchasing a used unit, it takes a careful eye to see how the machine was used or abused, and listen carefully to the seller to see if they are being truthful or not. If they took care of their machine, it should certainly show in the cosmetic appearance in conjunction with age, but also how the engine sounds idling and when engaged. Plus, look for decals as well, because the machine may have been painted, and the decals will show wear if older and if its a brand new looking decal on an older unit, it may have been well masked.

I agree. :)