PDA

View Full Version : Echo Vs Stihl

lawnpro2210
01-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Okay so i am planning getting a new back pack blower and trimmer. I want to get either a stihl or echo but both of the same brand. In other words i DONT want a stihl trimmer and a echo blower. What is everyones opinion on these two brands?

LALawnboy
01-21-2010, 08:52 PM
6 of one brand half a dozen of the other. Both are great brands, offer great products, and have good commercial warranties. It all comes down to dealers. The two Stihl dealers in my area don't truly understand what customer service is, and it shows: most people run Echo and Redmax here. Either way, you can't go wrong with Echo or Stihl.

Lazer_Z
01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Mike, I'll be the first to say go with Stihl. I've used echo as well as shindaiwa before, but now everything I run is Stihl. I've got 5 pieces currently with plans to add a 2nd Stihl back pack, a new BR600 Magnum this spring. My tools of the trade are as follows: FS 90 R, KM 130 R w/ an edger, trimmer and hedge trimmer, BR 600, HT 101 pole saw and an MS260 PRO.

Are you looking for just a trimmer and blower? or blower, trimmer & edger? if it's just a blower and trimmer, go with a BR 600 & and FS 90 R, but if you need more power out of a trimmer you could got with a 110 or 100 RX. If you need an edger the FC 110 is a gret dedicated unit. If you have anymore questions just ask and I'll answer as best as I can.

km6483
01-21-2010, 09:01 PM
I always used Echo till lately. I needed a new trimmer and bought a Stihl just to try it...Much Better, just the trimmer guard was the biggest sale for me, it doesnt throw half the stuff back at you that the echo did, Stihl has more power and you can feel the torgue, the one i got was heavier but i dont mind the extra workout, the only complaint is most times the Stihl starts on one pull but sometimes it is a real pain to start because of gas that spilled on the air filter just by having the trimmer laying on its side, so i sometimes would have to take off the air filter to get it to start. But thats my only complaint for Stihl trimmer.....As far as the blower goes im getting a Stihl in Feb. my dealer said the Br600 magnumm would be on sale for $420 next month and told me to wait, i currently have a echo pb755t, it worked great for 2 years and now wont go full throtle, i dont have the time to tinker with it and Ive had a lot of problems finding a Echo dealer because dealers dont really sell echos anymore because of the big box stores selling them (Home Depot) Ive heard the Stihl in gas alone will save around $300 a year compared to my gas guzzling echo....the for the answer to your question ...Stihl is the way to go.

dtc0207
01-22-2010, 09:35 AM
I always used Echo till lately. I needed a new trimmer and bought a Stihl just to try it...Much Better, just the trimmer guard was the biggest sale for me, it doesnt throw half the stuff back at you that the echo did, Stihl has more power and you can feel the torgue, the one i got was heavier but i dont mind the extra workout, the only complaint is most times the Stihl starts on one pull but sometimes it is a real pain to start because of gas that spilled on the air filter just by having the trimmer laying on its side, so i sometimes would have to take off the air filter to get it to start. But thats my only complaint for Stihl trimmer.....As far as the blower goes im getting a Stihl in Feb. my dealer said the Br600 magnumm would be on sale for $420 next month and told me to wait, i currently have a echo pb755t, it worked great for 2 years and now wont go full throtle, i dont have the time to tinker with it and Ive had a lot of problems finding a Echo dealer because dealers dont really sell echos anymore because of the big box stores selling them (Home Depot) Ive heard the Stihl in gas alone will save around $300 a year compared to my gas guzzling echo....the for the answer to your question ...Stihl is the way to go.

clean the mufflers screen, Stihl just doesnt impress me you get more power from echo with a smaller engine and there are no valve to adjust and special oil you have to buy

lawnpro2210
01-22-2010, 05:00 PM

I know what you mean about the blower going full power. Mine is doing the same thing and it does use a lot of gas. Thanks for all the great input everyone! Really helps

RonAyersMotorsports
01-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Check recent threads on this same discussion before posting the same thread for the FIVE HUNDRETH TIME. No offense to you, so don't be offended, but myself and others have had this same type of thread at least once or twice a week already. You can find the information your looking for on past threads. Its a no brainer to know what I'm going to say, just look at my signature.

dishboy
01-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Check recent threads on this same discussion before posting the same thread for the FIVE HUNDRETH TIME. No offense to you, so don't be offended, but myself and others have had this same type of thread at least once or twice a week already. You can find the information your looking for on past threads. Its a no brainer to know what I'm going to say, just look at my signature.

Last week your breaking forum rules by soliciting business, this week your the thread police. Sounds a little hypocritical don't you think ?

MONTE
01-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Echo traditional two stroke engine with much simpliar engine and better power per cc's. Very proven design.

dishboy
01-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Echo traditional two stroke engine with much simpliar engine and better power per cc's. Very proven design.

Echo's most powerful trimmer the 280 weighs more than the FS130R yet I guarantee it does not put out 1.9 HP or anything near that!

dtc0207
01-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Echo's most powerful trimmer the 280 weighs more than the FS130R yet I guarantee it does not put out 1.9 HP or anything near that!

Go get you one of each and a tiny tach read rpms with no load and then again with load and you might be really suprised if you need a load drop the head in water

dishboy
01-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Go get you one of each and a tiny tach read rpms with no load and then again with load and you might be really suprised if you need a load drop the head in water

I don't need to , I have ran the 280's and own the FS130R, NO COMPARISON!

Alan0354
01-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Anyone actually weight Stihl trimmer with head and guard? The spec. are without neither one on.

Stihl should make smaller trimmer that is lighter. You don't always need all the power of 1.3, 1.7 or 1.9HP. Should have a 23cc little one in Stihl's lineup.

mowzilla
01-22-2010, 09:23 PM
clean the mufflers screen, Stihl just doesnt impress me you get more power from echo with a smaller engine and there are no valve to adjust and special oil you have to buy

if you want power, lighter weight (for the most part), great fuel economy, and durability from one brand, its a simple answer:

shindaiwa.. i have run shinny's against stihl, echo, and redmax and they outperform them all, especially in trimmers. blowers i like shinny and redmax..

and my shinny stuff runs consistent all year long and every day..and the best trimmer head ever..

note to all you stihl guys: 40hrs i week i use stihl ( hl110rx, fs80rx, edger (model info worn off), br600 and br420) and i still prefer shinny 100 to 1..

dishboy
01-22-2010, 09:50 PM
if you want power, lighter weight (for the most part), great fuel economy, and durability from one brand, its a simple answer:

shindaiwa.. i have run shinny's against stihl, echo, and redmax and they outperform them all, especially in trimmers. blowers i like shinny and redmax..

and my shinny stuff runs consistent all year long and every day..and the best trimmer head ever..

note to all you stihl guys: 40hrs i week i use stihl ( hl110rx, fs80rx, edger (model info worn off), br600 and br420) and i still prefer shinny 100 to 1..

I have run Shindiawa t27, t270's for like 15 years. They do not out perform the FS130r. The weight is similar but the power is down. Since Shindiawa now has been beat up by epa laws, the new models have even less power. They used to have better bottom end throttle response but given the slide bore carb is dead that ship has sailed. Shindiawa does have better, more positive power delivery and less vibration thru the shaft , but at a weight penalty.

wimpy
01-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Every brand offers something unique except Echo. Honda's trimmers are sooo quiet and smooth but heavy and doesn't have the performance to justify the weight. Stihl offers the best in performance and weight, but some people just don't like them. Ergonomics is just as important as performance and some people don't like the feel of a Stihl. Shindaiwa's are good, Redmax are good, they're all good. Echo's are just heavy weaklings. The FS 90 R is even more powerful than the SRM 280.

Just Mow
01-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Echo is very weak as far as power goes and just don't hold up

MONTE
01-23-2010, 12:15 AM
So we are comparing a 36cc stihl trimmer against a 28cc echo trimmer. Is that a fair comparison? I have run the 280t and it is just strong and it does not weigh what the lit says it does. But to each there own.

Pennington Lawncare
01-23-2010, 12:39 AM
I'd go with the Stihl over the Echo and I'm no big fan of Stihl trimmers although they may be perfectly fine. I do like Stihl chainsaws over any other brand out there. The reason I'd go with Stihl over the Echo is because the newer Echo trimmers don't have carb adjustment screws that can be adjusted by the owner.

My Echo SRM-210 is a decent running trimmer but, it just barely turns enough rpm's to run smoothly at wide open throttle and it takes a few pulls to get it to start when cold and it cools down quickly and requires a few more pulls and possibly even having to choke it all over again.

At this point, the most important thing to me would be the trimmer with the least vibration getting to my hands. I don't know if anything out there runs smoother than a Shindaiwa but, I'd be interested to know if there is another brand that also has very low vibration.

My Husqvarna 323L is a great trimmer offering quick startup, very good power and very low weight but, it's got quite a bit of vibration and it appears to of just sprang a leak from the fuel tank. So I need to see if that can be patched or will require a new tank. It's about a 5 year old trimmer too and has been completely reliable up until it sprang a leak recently.

If you buy a trimmer or any other piece of equipment that does not start easily then you'll regret it for the rest of the time you own the equipment. That's why I would get rid of the Echo if I can find someone locally to buy it. It's a good trimmer but, just too much aggravation with the hard starting.

Alan0354
01-23-2010, 01:19 AM
At this point, the most important thing to me would be the trimmer with the least vibration getting to my hands. I don't know if anything out there runs smoother than a Shindaiwa but, I'd be interested to know if there is another brand that also has very low vibration.

You want low vibration, you got to get the Honda engine. If you like Husqvarna, get the 324Lx model. 324 have the Honda GX25 25cc engine. You'll be STUNNED how smooth they are. You can get the Honda HHT25 also but it is heavier, no head option and more expensive.

I have the big Honda HHT31 and Shindaiwa M242. I was so surprised how much vibration M242 has compare to the bigger Honda trimmer. Honda engines are much easier to start. My trimmer is one pull start 100% of the time. I don't use the Honda anymore because it is way too heavy, it is a 31cc trimmer. I don't need this kind of power.

All trimmers with Honda engine cost more and a little heavier, so that is the price you have to pay if you want low vibration. But you have to try one to see it yourself how smooth it is. It is also very quiet, the noise of the head is as loud if not louder than the engine on mine.

wimpy
01-23-2010, 01:28 AM
So we are comparing a 36cc stihl trimmer against a 28cc echo trimmer. Is that a fair comparison? I have run the 280t and it is just strong and it does not weigh what the lit says it does. But to each there own.

fs 90 r is 28.4 and weighs 11.7. srm 280s is 28.1 and weighs 13.1 280t weighs 13.5. fs 90r is 300 bucks, it's quieter, more powerful and burns cleaner. srm 280 sells from 370 to 390.

Alan0354
01-23-2010, 03:24 AM
fs 90 r is 28.4 and weighs 11.7. srm 280s is 28.1 and weighs 13.1 280t weighs 13.5. fs 90r is 300 bucks, it's quieter, more powerful and burns cleaner. srm 280 sells from 370 to 390.

Have you include the head and the guard? Stihl spec weight with either.

joel29m
01-23-2010, 04:27 AM
i have all echo products, and sastisfied.

OSU 09
01-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Neither for me. I run shidaiwa:weightlifter:. Used to run echo and loved em, but lately it seems like the quality of their products has dropped off big time. i had a lot of carboretor problems, plus my echo dealer is a PITA to work with!

Lazer_Z
01-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Have you include the head and the guard? Stihl spec weight with either. The Stihl will still come out lighter even with the head and guard factored in. Look at the weight's, it's easy enough to see.

RonAyersMotorsports
01-23-2010, 09:53 AM

If the prices are comparable then yes.

WREBELMACHINE
01-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Have you picked up a 280t? I have and there is no way that thing weighs 13.5llbs. Also if everyone is talking just price comparison than that really opens the door up to other competitors. By the way a 280t is not underpowered compared to its competitors in the same class of engine displacement.

dishboy
01-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Have you picked up a 280t? I have and there is no way that thing weighs 13.5llbs. Also if everyone is talking just price comparison than that really opens the door up to other competitors. By the way a 280t is not underpowered compared to its competitors in the same class of engine displacement.

No , it is underpowered to it's competitors in the same weight class.

WREBELMACHINE
01-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I quess the 280t that I ran must have been special because it definately was not lacking to anyone in its size range.

AOD
01-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Is the FS80 still available? One of the best gen. use trimmers. The Echos I've used always seem underpowered and bulky.

Who made the re-branded Deere trimmers? I hate those things.

WREBELMACHINE
01-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Is'nt there a youtube video comparing the echo to a stihl size for size?

joel29m
01-23-2010, 01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qVqxR5wOqM&feature=youtube_gdata

look at this, tell me whatcha think, and i know what im gonna hear.

Alan0354
01-23-2010, 02:30 PM
The Stihl will still come out lighter even with the head and guard factored in. Look at the weight's, it's easy enough to see.

I am by no means saying Stihl is heavy. Actually they are very light for the power. Only thing I can say is they should produce more smaller commercial trimmers in 22cc to 24cc range.

overtime mp
01-23-2010, 02:52 PM
I have a echo blower didn't mind it but then after like 2 months hated it. This year I'm going with a br 550. I have never had problems with any of my stihl trimmers. Also good the dealer is 2 miles down the road and good to deal with. The gas mixer isn't that bad I think its like 90 cents for one gallon or 140 for the 2.5 gallon.
Posted via Mobile Device

TreeClimber57
01-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Go with Stihl or Shindy.. we won't use any other for blowers.
For trimmer, Stihl.

mowzilla
01-23-2010, 10:09 PM
I have run Shindiawa t27, t270's for like 15 years. They do not out perform the FS130r. The weight is similar but the power is down. Since Shindiawa now has been beat up by epa laws, the new models have even less power. They used to have better bottom end throttle response but given the slide bore carb is dead that ship has sailed. Shindiawa does have better, more positive power delivery and less vibration thru the shaft , but at a weight penalty.

i would beg to differ with the new t282 against the fs130, and you haven't even considered the c4 models..which model to model i have found the shinny's to be stouter, especially in blowers. i can trim faster with a shinny than a stihl too, and its the weight different isn't that noticeable..given 8hrs of weedeating to do, i would rather use the shinny. they are way more comfortable for me to use than the stihls i use a lot..

Alan0354
01-23-2010, 11:28 PM
i would beg to differ with the new t282 against the fs130, and you haven't even considered the c4 models..which model to model i have found the shinny's to be stouter, especially in blowers. i can trim faster with a shinny than a stihl too, and its the weight different isn't that noticeable..given 8hrs of weedeating to do, i would rather use the shinny. they are way more comfortable for me to use than the stihls i use a lot..

I totally forgot the Shindy T3410 big 34cc trimmer!!!!:laugh::laugh:

I even have the EB3410 34cc hand held blower and never really relate back to the trimmer. It is relatively easy to start compare to the regular 2 cycles, a little quieter and not as much vibration. BUt can't compare to the quietness and smooth like the Honda engine though. Never run a 4Mix, they might be just as good.

dishboy
01-23-2010, 11:39 PM

Shindiawa T282 1.4hp & 13.6lbs.
Stihl fs130r 1.9hp & 12.3 hp

So whats to argue about?

Lazer_Z
01-24-2010, 11:43 AM
I am by no means saying Stihl is heavy. Actually they are very light for the power. Only thing I can say is they should produce more smaller commercial trimmers in 22cc to 24cc range. Why should Stihl drop the CC's? the FS 90 R to me seems like the most popular Commercial trimmer they make. It's rated at 28.4cc's and weighs 11.7lbs, I just also noticed the NEW FS 70 RC-E 27.2cc's and 10.6lbs. So it seems you almost got your wish, although I'd still personally go with the 90.

Richard Martin
01-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Is the FS80 still available?

Nope. It is no longer in Stihl's lineup and if you find a dealer with them you'd better snap them up now. I have a brand new sitting in my garage waiting for my old one to die off.

Phil G
01-24-2010, 03:33 PM

Look carefully, at 3.09 mins after pulling the Stihl 25 times he turns the cut-out switch on:hammerhead:

By this time he would have flooded the engine, maybe he should read the manual first:laugh:

Good luck, Phil

=

SouthSide Cutter
01-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Ran both in trimmers and blowers and have both. Really like the old 261T in Echo trimmer and the BG 85 in Stihl blower.
Got 280T's,261T's, FS100RX and Ive weighed all of them. The 100RX is 11LB, the 260T was 12.5 and the 280t was 13.5 and this is with no guards on any of them. Now some dont think 1lb is much but run it for 5hrs straight and you will think otherwise.
Got new BG86 and BR600Mag blowers, new FS100RX trimmers and will see how the 4mix runs. My old Echos were pretty tuff.

Richard Martin
01-24-2010, 04:29 PM

Yeah, you're gonna hear it. The little peckerwood shouldn't have pulled it 25 times with the choke on and the switch in the OFF position. And that was after he pushed the primer bulb over a dozen times. Of course it's flooded and wouldn't start.

Alan0354
01-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Why should Stihl drop the CC's? the FS 90 R to me seems like the most popular Commercial trimmer they make. It's rated at 28.4cc's and weighs 11.7lbs, I just also noticed the NEW FS 70 RC-E 27.2cc's and 10.6lbs. So it seems you almost got your wish, although I'd still personally go with the 90.

I am hopping for a sub 10lbs!!! If anyone make a 23 to 24cc 9 lbs commercial trimmer, I bet it is going to be the most popular trimmer around.:laugh::laugh:

I am just looking at what Stihl can do in cutting weight and scale it down....wishful thinking maybe be!!!

landdecorinc
01-24-2010, 05:37 PM
We run:

Stihl blowers & chainsaws

Echo Hedge Clippers, String Trimmers, & Pole Prunners

Both serve use well

SangerLawn
01-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Echo put me in business. I bought 2 trimmers and one edger when I went into business. Lasy year I replaced all trimmers with redmax and gave my echos to family members…they were still running great.

joel29m
01-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Look carefully, at 3.09 mins after pulling the Stihl 25 times he turns the cut-out switch on:hammerhead:

By this time he would have flooded the engine, maybe he should read the manual first:laugh:

Good luck, Phil

=

yeah, I seen it when I watched it the first time, all he did is show us that stihl is better by comparing a new echo to an used stihl, but as long as they stay running I'll still use them, and I'll let you know how long they last.
Posted via Mobile Device

dtc0207
01-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Echo PB-770 765cfm/204mph Stihl br600 magnum 712cfm/201 mph do I need to say anymore

AOD
01-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Echo PB-770 765cfm/204mph Stihl br600 magnum 712cfm/201 mph do I need to say anymore

Really, is a difference of 53 CFM's and 3 MPH velocity going to even be noticeable on the job? I'm not dogging the 770, but there are not many jobs I have found that the BR600 can't handle.

Richard Martin
01-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Really, is a difference of 53 CFM's and 3 MPH velocity going to even be noticeable on the job? I'm not dogging the 770, but there are not many jobs I have found that the BR600 can't handle.

I also want to know what standards were used in testing? Without standards the results are useless. Some manufacturers test in whatever way results in the highest number for their product.

dishboy
01-25-2010, 10:50 PM
I also want to know what standards were used in testing? Without standards the results are useless. Some manufacturers test in whatever way results in the highest number for their product.

All manufactures are using the BS standard Richard.

Richard Martin
01-26-2010, 04:49 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. :)

RonAyersMotorsports
01-26-2010, 10:44 AM
This thread like every other like it is an all out war! :dizzy::gunsfirin:help::realmad::wall*trucewhiteflag*

AOD
01-26-2010, 10:50 AM
What I have noticed is the Echo stuff of today is not the Echo of 15 years ago, lots of companies around here are going to Stihl or RedMax, the cemetery crews here went from Deere branded trimmers to FS80's last year and every one of them is still going after a summer of hard use by work release inmates, where as the Deere (Echos) would usually give problems after about a month.

MONTE
01-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Only one problem with your statement. Echo has not built anything for John Deer for several years. I think it has been at least 10yrs. since echo built for Deere.

Alan0354
01-26-2010, 01:16 PM
What I have noticed is the Echo stuff of today is not the Echo of 15 years ago, lots of companies around here are going to Stihl or RedMax, the cemetery crews here went from Deere branded trimmers to FS80's last year and every one of them is still going after a summer of hard use by work release inmates, where as the Deere (Echos) would usually give problems after about a month.

Even Shindaiwa don't seems to have as good a reputation as before.

I think Kawasaki build trimmer for JD. But people that use Kawi stuff really like them.

I guess it is like Toyota, been the most reliable cars for long time. Now the latest Camry V6 and Lexus ES in not reliable and the major brake recall now!!!

Richard Martin
01-26-2010, 02:18 PM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/smilies/orangestihl.gif

RonAyersMotorsports
01-26-2010, 02:29 PM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/smilies/orangestihl.gif

What he said!http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af290/Perfect_10_photos/Smilies/thumbsup.gif

K/B
01-26-2010, 03:50 PM

That's absolutely right. Numbers are just marketing gimmicks, which is unfortunate. Depending on which Shindaiwa publication you look at, you'll find conflicting numbers for the Shindaiwa EB8520 and EB802. Stihl's BR600 blower numbers have mysteriously risen a few times over the few years since it was released, coincidentally around the same times as competitors announced bigger, better blowers.
One of the most blatant number screwing I've seen is Stihl's test of backpack blower fuel economy, supposedly done by Porsche. Two of the blowers tested were exactly the same except for the color scheme, yet one was significantly less fuel efficient than the other.:hammerhead:

mowzilla
01-26-2010, 11:34 PM
i don't care what the brochures say.. what it does on the job is what matters!! i don't endorse it unless it passes my test!! demo demo demo

wimpy
01-27-2010, 12:02 AM
That's absolutely right. Numbers are just marketing gimmicks, which is unfortunate. Depending on which Shindaiwa publication you look at, you'll find conflicting numbers for the Shindaiwa EB8520 and EB802. Stihl's BR600 blower numbers have mysteriously risen a few times over the few years since it was released, coincidentally around the same times as competitors announced bigger, better blowers.
One of the most blatant number screwing I've seen is Stihl's test of backpack blower fuel economy, supposedly done by Porsche. Two of the blowers tested were exactly the same except for the color scheme, yet one was significantly less fuel efficient than the other.:hammerhead:

What are you talking about? The performance specs has stayed the same since it came out, the weight has risen which wouldn't be something to boast about yet they print it anyway. It has always stayed 201mph 712cfm. The test WAS done by Porsche, not supposedly. Sounds like you're just a hater.

dtc0207
01-27-2010, 12:31 AM
I just love when spec dont come out like you want it turns to I dont care they all lie but if stihl numbers were higher that is all we echo guys would here and yes I sell Echo I have sold over 300 units in 4 yrs and only 2 have come back for warranty or anyother repair that is why I love echo

wimpy
01-27-2010, 12:58 AM
I just love when spec dont come out like you want it turns to I dont care they all lie but if stihl numbers were higher that is all we echo guys would here and yes I sell Echo I have sold over 300 units in 4 yrs and only 2 have come back for warranty or anyother repair that is why I love echo

That's not very encouraging for a dealership. As a dealer you want breakdowns to make your bread and butter on repairs, no?

How many people who bring in machines for warranty doesn't tell the whole story. Some people don't like to complain and just deal with it, then there's the type that have a problem and take it somewhere else. I agree Echo's are pretty good machines but I'm just not a fan of their blowers or chain saws. The reliability is there but the performance isn't. More and more people say Echo has been making cheaper quality machines. Is this the trend of the big box stores? McCulloch, Poulan, Homelite were all good brands until they messed with the box stores.

dtc0207
01-27-2010, 01:36 AM
3 years ago i would agree but the new chainsaw and blowers should even them up with the field their trimmer and hedge trimmer are still great if anything they keep making them stronger and cleaner it should say something for the company they have not had to come out with 4 stroke products yet they and still meet epa standards with the vortex tech

wimpy
01-27-2010, 01:55 AM
3 years ago i would agree but the new chainsaw and blowers should even them up with the field their trimmer and hedge trimmer are still great if anything they keep making them stronger and cleaner it should say something for the company they have not had to come out with 4 stroke products yet they and still meet epa standards with the vortex tech

I think that's why they acquired Shindaiwa to utilize their c4 tech among other things. Stihl doesn't need 4 strokes they make strato saws, blowers and trimmers that comply with the EPA. The 4 strokes offer benefits the 2 strokes don't. Apart from performance benefits they also get more credits because they exceed the latest epa standards.

ChaseLandscapes
01-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Stihl all the way..

Richard Martin
01-27-2010, 04:06 AM
I just love when spec dont come out like you want it turns to I dont care they all lie but if stihl numbers were higher that is all we echo guys would here

There was another company of a high quality product that didn't fudge their numbers until they were forced to. There was a set of standards but this company stuck to them as this company thought they should be read. Every other company in their field was fudging the numbers and coming in with really high numbers. As a result this particular company was getting their butts kicked and was loosing market share until they too were forced to play the game. The name of the company is Michelin.

Tires are graded by different categories, one of which is tire wear. The standard says that if tire A goes 35,000 miles then it is assigned a score of 100. Now if tire B goes 70,000 miles it is assigned a 200 score. Michelin for decades kept assigning their score based on how other tires in their own lineup did. Since all of Michelin's tires get great mileage they kept assigning a score of 200 to all of their tires. This was despite the fact that you can easily expect to get 60, 70 and 80 thousand miles out of a set of Michelins.

Every other tire manufacturer has crappy tires and good tires. Because of this they might have one line of tires that only got 10,000 miles and another one that got 60,000 miles. So despite the fact that their best tire did poorly compared to a Michelin they assigned a score of 600 to their best tire compared to Michelin's 200.

Eventually Michelin got wise to this and started grading their tires against other manufacturer's tires and now Michelin's scores are up there where they belong.

The point is it's really hard to get a fair number to compare anything. Even with a standard, there can be variances that screw the whole process up.

K/B
01-27-2010, 08:49 AM
What are you talking about? The performance specs has stayed the same since it came out, the weight has risen which wouldn't be something to boast about yet they print it anyway. It has always stayed 201mph 712cfm. The test WAS done by Porsche, not supposedly. Sounds like you're just a hater.

Wrong, the performance specs have risen twice (on Stihl's website). I sent them an email asking what had changed, never got a reply.
Maybe the test WAS done by Porsche, it doesn't matter. It was flawed, I don't understand why Stihl didn't throw it out.

I think that's why they acquired Shindaiwa to utilize their c4 tech among other things. Stihl doesn't need 4 strokes they make strato saws, blowers and trimmers that comply with the EPA. The 4 strokes offer benefits the 2 strokes don't. Apart from performance benefits they also get more credits because they exceed the latest epa standards.

If Stihl doesn't need 4-strokes, why would they spend millions in R&D for the 4-Mix engines? Just for kicks & giggles?

Richard Martin
01-27-2010, 09:17 AM
If Stihl doesn't need 4-strokes, why would they spend millions in R&D for the 4-Mix engines? Just for kicks & giggles?

They were expecting emissions standards that were much tougher than what they got.

Stihl didn't need to build a 4 stroke. Their 2 strokes are more than sufficient to do the job and they last about forever.

dtc0207
01-27-2010, 09:49 AM
A customer just baught a fs100r so I compared it to a srm-280 rpm at no load were stihl 9760 echo 10680 we put head and gear case just under water stihls rpm went to 6720 echo went to 9550 He did return the stihl and baught an echo I just thought it was funny how much power it lost under the same conditions. And yes I know stihl does make bigger trimmers but these two units cost the same and the stihl was 3 cc bigger

Alan0354
01-27-2010, 01:26 PM
A customer just baught a fs100r so I compared it to a srm-280 rpm at no load were stihl 9760 echo 10680 we put head and gear case just under water stihls rpm went to 6720 echo went to 9550 He did return the stihl and baught an echo I just thought it was funny how much power it lost under the same conditions. And yes I know stihl does make bigger trimmers but these two units cost the same and the stihl was 3 cc bigger

Interesting!! If you have time, try another FS100 to make sure it is consistant.

BTW, it's been over two years the SRM265 and 280 is out, how is the reliability of the new Vortex engines? Do they last as long as the old Tornado engines?

genesis215
01-27-2010, 07:29 PM
I will never buy a used Stihl ever again, unless it's a 2-stroke. To many troubles. If I was buying new, I would consider both, but Echo's don't have odd gas caps, ignition module failures, and expensive parts. Echo's are reliable, parts are cheap, and they just run great as long as you have good gas in them. With Amsoil Saber, they can run a long time.

The SRM-265T trimmer, and the PB-755ST would be my pick out of the Echo line.

Just Mow
01-27-2010, 10:38 PM

Take the gear reduction off of the Echo then see which one turn more water. I'm more interested in which knocks down grass faster and not churn water. And that would be the Stihl:dizzy:

STIHL GUY
01-27-2010, 11:33 PM
im very happy with my stihl equipment. i wouldnt think about buying anything else

B Nick
01-28-2010, 01:44 AM
Everything i have is Stihl, backpacks, hand helds, string trimmers, hedge trimmers ,chainsaws. I have owned other brands, echo, shin, husky, they just didnt hold up like the Stihl. Dumb mistake...but i have had a blower and a trimmer fly off the trailer at 90km on the hwy. Stop, pick it up, brush her off, say im sorry and she fired right up no problem, hahaha.

K/B
01-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Take the gear reduction off of the Echo then see which one turn more water. I'm more interested in which knocks down grass faster and not churn water. And that would be the Stihl:dizzy:

Don't you think that the water test is a good way to test trimmer power output?

dtc0207
01-28-2010, 12:32 PM

If I am comparing same price units why should I take parts off the whole point was to show that bang for the buck theroy plus if my rpms are higher which one knocks weed down better

Alan0354
01-28-2010, 01:55 PM
I think the comparison is valid if:

1) SRM280 is not the T version that have higher gear reduction ratio.
2) The string is of EQUAL lenght( that would make a day and night difference!!!)
3) Test a second FS100 to verify the first one is not defective. $hit do happen.

dtc0207
01-28-2010, 02:08 PM
I think the comparison is valid if:

1) SRM280 is not the T version that have higher gear reduction ratio.
2) The string is of EQUAL lenght( that would make a day and night difference!!!)
3) Test a second FS100 to verify the first one is not defective. $hit do happen.

the echo string was an 1inch longer was not t model bradn new stihl and according to a stihl tech the rpm was right

lawn&orderinc
01-28-2010, 02:40 PM
I have a stihl trimmer i've had ten years and still runs strong. Any thing i've ever had echo seems to run hot in the summer and you only get two, two an a half years at the most! Just my experience.

Alan0354
01-28-2010, 02:44 PM
the echo string was an 1inch longer was not t model bradn new stihl and according to a stihl tech the rpm was right

If the diameter of the string is the same, then you have a good comparison.

Only one thing, My Honda when with a hald blocked jet can pull full RPM with no load, but drop when cutting. After I fixed the carb, it does not drop RPM much anymore. So I would still test with a second one. IF the result is the same, you have a very good comparison that people can use as a reference.

This is the kind of quantitive comparison that is very useful, it is very hard to use people's impression to judge. If you have time, please try another one and let us know. People can repeat their experiment if they don't like it.:waving:

Richard Martin
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
If the diameter of the string is the same, then you have a good comparison.

I didn't want to point this out but it for it to a real comparison of which trimmer is better at cutting sea grass then both trimmers need to have the same exact head, trimmer line and length of trimmer line. Why is this important? Because water has a density of 1000 kg/m^3 and air is only 1.275kg/m^3. Slight design differences that wouldn't have an effect on performance in air could have a significant impact in water due to it's significantly higher density.

It must be the middle of winter because there's way too many people here with way too much time on their hands.

Richard Martin
01-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Oh... I believe that's also the reason that Exmark's Triton deck performed so poorly. I believe they only used fluid dynamics modeling to design the deck from start to finish. Air and fluids don't behave the same way due to the compressibility of air. You can use fluid dynamics as the basis for mower decks but you must conduct experiments to proof what the modeling indicates. Exmark failed to proof their modeling.

Alan0354
01-28-2010, 05:14 PM
I didn't want to point this out but it for it to a real comparison of which trimmer is better at cutting sea grass then both trimmers need to have the same exact head, trimmer line and length of trimmer line. Why is this important? Because water has a density of 1000 kg/m^3 and air is only 1.275kg/m^3. Slight design differences that wouldn't have an effect on performance in air could have a significant impact in water due to it's significantly higher density.

It must be the middle of winter because there's way too many people here with way too much time on their hands.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

It has been raining here for over a week continuously!!!!

Buy whatever one they like!!!

RonAyersMotorsports
01-28-2010, 05:19 PM
I think the rain is pretty much falling everywhere in the US. We've definately seen enough of it during this winter in the east. I would love for it to try out for about a month before spring showers come in again. Other wise NC will be just a giant mud hole.

MONTE
01-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Stihl is making a marketing effort to be number 1 with trimmers and blowers. Only time will tell if they make it or not.

RonAyersMotorsports
01-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Not just marketing they've put a tone of money in the last 15 years of redesigning and perfecting these two. I'd market it to after all the work they've done. Now they are off to do the same in their chainsaws.

Green Industry Pro
03-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Mike, I'll be the first to say go with Stihl. I've used echo as well as shindaiwa before, but now everything I run is Stihl. I've got 5 pieces currently with plans to add a 2nd Stihl back pack, a new BR600 Magnum this spring. My tools of the trade are as follows: FS 90 R, KM 130 R w/ an edger, trimmer and hedge trimmer, BR 600, HT 101 pole saw and an MS260 PRO.

Are you looking for just a trimmer and blower? or blower, trimmer & edger? if it's just a blower and trimmer, go with a BR 600 & and FS 90 R, but if you need more power out of a trimmer you could got with a 110 or 100 RX. If you need an edger the FC 110 is a gret dedicated unit. If you have anymore questions just ask and I'll answer as best as I can.

I want to purchase a blower this spring. Im strongly considering several models from different brands, stihl br-600 magnum being one of them. I would like any info about your br-600 that would be helpful. Im most concered with durability/reliability especially since sooo many folks either say"dont ever buy it" or "its the best you can buy" im confused. I know the br-600=ez starts bt how about performance? Please give me all the info that would help me.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

GOD BLESS AMERICA

TreeClimber57
03-03-2010, 07:48 AM
I want to purchase a blower this spring. Im strongly considering several models from different brands, stihl br-600 magnum being one of them. I would like any info about your br-600 that would be helpful. Im most concered with durability/reliability especially since sooo many folks either say"dont ever buy it" or "its the best you can buy" im confused. I know the br-600=ez starts bt how about performance? Please give me all the info that would help me.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

GOD BLESS AMERICA

If you look at published numbers the Stihl is likely #2 or 3 in the list. With the top being a Shindy. If getting a backpack blower, personally I would go with either Shindaiwa or Stihl.

But, the #1 criteria for the above or any for that matter is dealer support. We do not have a decent Shindy dealer within reasonable distance, so we run Stihl blowers.

The BR600 is a great blower, do not be mistaken, and the few minor issues have been resolved with the Magnum version if I am not mistaken (I do not yet have a Magnum blower so am only going by what I have read).

I realize you have asked for "all the info", however there is not really a lot of use in publishing specs on the top blowers as realistically they are close, and any will do the job for you. The #1 issue for you to decide is the dealer support.. either will do the job for you.

I have not tried the Echo's, but have been told they drink a lot more fuel than does the BR600 and I think they weigh a bit more. But my experience with some of the Echo products has not been bad. I have a good Echo dealer nearby, but they do not service onsite so machine are down a bit longer. For the Stihl I have had them take direclty to shop and fix while I waited at times. But all in the dealers.

Lazer_Z
03-03-2010, 10:27 AM
If you look at published numbers the Stihl is likely #2 or 3 in the list. With the top being a Shindy. If getting a backpack blower, personally I would go with either Shindaiwa or Stihl.

But, the #1 criteria for the above or any for that matter is dealer support. We do not have a decent Shindy dealer within reasonable distance, so we run Stihl blowers.

The BR600 is a great blower, do not be mistaken, and the few minor issues have been resolved with the Magnum version if I am not mistaken (I do not yet have a Magnum blower so am only going by what I have read).

I realize you have asked for "all the info", however there is not really a lot of use in publishing specs on the top blowers as realistically they are close, and any will do the job for you. The #1 issue for you to decide is the dealer support.. either will do the job for you.

I have not tried the Echo's, but have been told they drink a lot more fuel than does the BR600 and I think they weigh a bit more. But my experience with some of the Echo products has not been bad. I have a good Echo dealer nearby, but they do not service onsite so machine are down a bit longer. For the Stihl I have had them take direclty to shop and fix while I waited at times. But all in the dealers.Green, Treeclimber pretty much covered everything. I've personally had zero issues with my BR600 and whatever issues they may have been seem to be solved with the BR600 Magnum. Even if Stihl hadn't come out with and upgraded blower I was still planing on buying another BR600.

RLS24
03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I was reading this, and took a break halfway through to run a fire call, and in the truck on the way back I was having this discussion with one of the guys and he said "its like the Ford vs Chevy of the lawn industry- no one will ever come out on top it's a battle that always has been and always will be no matter what"

Now, as far as my opinion goes: When I started my business 3 years ago, I bought Echo stuff because it was a name I knew, I saw other professionals around using it, and it was affordable for me at the time. The bread and butter stuff that I use all the time is a SRM-210 trimmer and a PB-200 blower which I bought brand new, and a PE-230 edger which I bought used. 3 years later and I have what I consider a successful business to this point and I now have the ability to shop around for these kinds of things and price really isn't as much of an issue as it was 3 years ago when I was starting out with nothing. My SRM-210 has its downfalls, but it works, then one day I borrowed a friends Stihl FS80 and what a difference!!I agree with what has been said that Echo has gone down hill in the past 10 years, even in the past 2 with all of these new models they came out with! At some point this summer I will be replacing my handhelds with Stihl, partly because I do feel that it is a superior product in a way, and partly because my closest Stihl dealer is 2 blocks from my house unlike the Echo dealer which is 20 miles. Don't get me wrong, Echo does have its place, my PB-200 is great for day-to-day mowing operations. it's small, light and well balanced for blowing grass off walks and drives. anything wet or any leaves forget it, thats not its place.

All in all, I would say that Echo is a GREAT piece of equipment for those just starting out because its arguably commercial grade equipment at an affordable price. For anyone that has been around for a while and can afford to spend more money, I would look elsewhere.

Merkava_4
04-06-2010, 04:00 AM
I don't need to , I have ran the 280's and own the FS130R, NO COMPARISON!

Which one is better in your opinion?

Alan0354
04-06-2010, 04:33 AM
I can tell you, nobody from the bay area on this site except me. If they come here and vote, Echo would be a lot higher. Echo is the biggest here on trimmers and blowers. But amigos don't come to lawnsite.

mowzilla
04-07-2010, 12:35 AM
i work 80 hours a week landscaping..no b.s. every mon-thurs i do two walmarts, a best buy, one 30 home hoa (including houses) , a two-square mile size indunstrial park with about 6 acres total of grass, another hoa that has about 4 acres (including commons, tennis,etc) , and another townhome hoa with about 25 units ( me+ two men). fri-sat by myself i do a church, a bbq restaurant, a dentist office, and 5 homes. i do a lot of edging, weedeating, prunning, and lotsa freakin blowin. i have worked as a supervisor for two landscape co's, own my own business, and have pretty much dabbled in landscaping/mowing most of the 38 years i have been on the planet. i have and do currently use a lot of stihl stuff and i also use shindaiwa. folks can talk the b.s. about who's better. i spend 80-90 hours a week 'scaping march-oct and about 40-50 oct thru march. i am also a former marine technician -certified..so i know a thing or two about 2 and 4stroke. i must run things harder than most.. simply put.. there is nothing as durable and dependable as a shindaiwa. example: you put my personal eb8520rt next a br600 mag ( have had one for three months) ..the shinny is better built,easier to start, has better straps, (its been dropped a bunch no broken parts) it runs consistently good everyday and yes, like the regualr br600 will outblow and run longer than the stihl.. stihl is a good marketer.. but in my many thousands of hours using two stroke / 4-stroke hybrids, shindaiwa is the best hands down!! zero and i mean zero problems with my shinny stuff ( yes after hundreds of hours of use) and they hold up better ( like straps for example) than any stihl or echo i have ever used.. yeah i own an echo and its going away.. i feel about shindaiwa like i do exmark..made to use constantly and frequently reliably!

googles
04-07-2010, 11:52 AM
I dont know why every talks so bad about the echo blowers. I have mine for about 8 years running strong.

FuturePilot4u
04-07-2010, 12:06 PM

no matter what you get if you dont take care of it it will run down...;)

FuturePilot4u
04-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I was reading this, and took a break halfway through to run a fire call, and in the truck on the way back I was having this discussion with one of the guys and he said "its like the Ford vs Chevy of the lawn industry- no one will ever come out on top it's a battle that always has been and always will be no matter what"

Now, as far as my opinion goes: When I started my business 3 years ago, I bought Echo stuff because it was a name I knew, I saw other professionals around using it, and it was affordable for me at the time. The bread and butter stuff that I use all the time is a SRM-210 trimmer and a PB-200 blower which I bought brand new, and a PE-230 edger which I bought used. 3 years later and I have what I consider a successful business to this point and I now have the ability to shop around for these kinds of things and price really isn't as much of an issue as it was 3 years ago when I was starting out with nothing. My SRM-210 has its downfalls, but it works, then one day I borrowed a friends Stihl FS80 and what a difference!!I agree with what has been said that Echo has gone down hill in the past 10 years, even in the past 2 with all of these new models they came out with! At some point this summer I will be replacing my handhelds with Stihl, partly because I do feel that it is a superior product in a way, and partly because my closest Stihl dealer is 2 blocks from my house unlike the Echo dealer which is 20 miles. Don't get me wrong, Echo does have its place, my PB-200 is great for day-to-day mowing operations. it's small, light and well balanced for blowing grass off walks and drives. anything wet or any leaves forget it, thats not its place.

All in all, I would say that Echo is a GREAT piece of equipment for those just starting out because its arguably commercial grade equipment at an affordable price. For anyone that has been around for a while and can afford to spend more money, I would look elsewhere.

funny and you still advertise for them in your avatar...:laugh: