PDA

View Full Version : Allison 1000 transmission flush?

rcslawncare
01-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Referring to the owners of the allison, Have you done it and how often. Bought the truck with 110k on it and now its at 140k. Dealer told me to flush it for $250. If heard good and bad. Leave it or flush it?

epicklein22
01-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Hmm, I would forget the flushing and just change the fluid and filter. I have heard more than one horror story about flushing

rcslawncare
01-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Thats my thought! I think I am just gonna do the drain and external filter. Probably my best bet.

GravelyNut
01-22-2010, 03:52 AM
Mine got it after it ate the flexplate and front seals and again at 90K when the fluid was changed.

cet
01-23-2010, 12:43 PM
There is a ton of good info at dieselplace.com

Junior M
01-23-2010, 12:45 PM
without knowing the last time it was done, if it was ever done. I wouldnt do it..

Same goes for changing the fluid and filter..

Lawn Man Dave
01-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Some will say flush, some will say just the fluid in the pan and the filter, some will say leave it.

You will hear just as many horror stories from people that did either of the above.

To get a good laugh ask the dealer if they will replace the tranny if it takes a dump X amount of miles after the flush...

Also remember that filter's get dirty and this restrict's flow.... it is a gamble regardless of what you do at this point.

The main problem people have with just a pan fluid and filter change is that if the filter does not get "locked in" and the tranny sucks's in air with fluid or the filter fall's into the pan.....

Doing nothing the filter will continue to filter and collect debris and it will just be a waiting game... As long as the fluid looks good and does not smell burnt you SHOULD be ok when it comes to the fluid...... It is like motor oil, it will start to look old and with trenny fluid it will smell burnt when something is going on.

JPsDuramax
01-25-2010, 09:44 AM
If you're hauling or towing, you should change the tranny fluid every 25,000 miles. I alternate between external filter and internal filter. And I had it flushed at 100,000 miles. I have had no problems out of my Allison. I expect it to go quite a bit further. And just my .2, $250 is really high for a tranny flush. I got mine done for $99 at the dealer just a couple months ago.

rcslawncare
01-25-2010, 10:56 AM
If you're hauling or towing, you should change the tranny fluid every 25,000 miles. I alternate between external filter and internal filter. And I had it flushed at 100,000 miles. I have had no problems out of my Allison. I expect it to go quite a bit further. And just my .2, $250 is really high for a tranny flush. I got mine done for $99 at the dealer just a couple months ago.

Interesting, thanks for the info!!

Blueribbonlawns
01-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I flush mine about every three oil changes, keeps all the metal fragments out of the tranny providing better cooling and longer life.
But im running a custom 450hp tune.

JPsDuramax
01-26-2010, 09:20 PM
I flush mine about every three oil changes, keeps all the metal fragments out of the tranny providing better cooling and longer life.
But im running a custom 450hp tune.

How far do you go on an oil change? I go between 5000 and 7500 miles. Just curious as to how often you flush the tranny (mileage wise).

GravelyNut
01-27-2010, 03:01 AM
Some will say flush, some will say just the fluid in the pan and the filter, some will say leave it.

You will hear just as many horror stories from people that did either of the above.

To get a good laugh ask the dealer if they will replace the tranny if it takes a dump X amount of miles after the flush...

Also remember that filter's get dirty and this restrict's flow.... it is a gamble regardless of what you do at this point.

The main problem people have with just a pan fluid and filter change is that if the filter does not get "locked in" and the tranny sucks's in air with fluid or the filter fall's into the pan.....

Doing nothing the filter will continue to filter and collect debris and it will just be a waiting game... As long as the fluid looks good and does not smell burnt you SHOULD be ok when it comes to the fluid...... It is like motor oil, it will start to look old and with trenny fluid it will smell burnt when something is going on.

Why are they removing the internal filter in the first place? Allison says to change it only on an overhaul.

Junior M
01-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Why are they removing the internal filter in the first place? Allison says to change it only on an overhaul.
yeah, really?

If its like any other internal filter you gotta tear the tranny apart, which means out of the truck and at a transmission shop..

thats alot of un needed work imo.

Blueribbonlawns
01-27-2010, 04:18 PM
How far do you go on an oil change? I go between 5000 and 7500 miles. Just curious as to how often you flush the tranny (mileage wise).

I change mine every 3-4k depending on the season in the summer 3 in the winter 4.
So probably about every 10k
Ill be changing it more once i get my new sun coast stage 5 and start running the synthetic fluid.