PDA

View Full Version : Unsure on which engine to chose for Scag Tiger Cat?

pitrack
01-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Hey guys I tried searching for a similar thread and couldn't find anything and if I did nobody replied.

3 engine options for the Scag Tiger Cat.

26hp Briggs 33 lbs of tq
19hp Kawasaki 36 lbs of tq
23hp Kohler 40 lbs of tq

I am pretty sure on the torque numbers but could be wrong since I had to do some of my own looking up to find out.

I am not familiar with Kohler or Briggs, as my previous mowers all have had Kawasaki. I want the most power I can get for this mower, looking at a 48" deck. So Which do you guys think is the best option ignoring price. (Kohler is highest, Kaw, then Briggs)

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Mike Blevins
01-22-2010, 12:59 PM
I would go kawasaki or kohler. I have the 29 dfi kaw on my Tiger and love it. The only Briggs I would buy is the 35 Briggs that they put on the Turf Tiger. I know 4 people that have the 19 kaw Tiger cub and have zero issues with them.

Lawn Pawn
01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Had that Briggs........

Would never get another....

Much happier with Kohler and Kawi...... But that's just me!

DKJLawnCare
01-22-2010, 01:30 PM
I would go kawasaki or kohler. I have the 29 dfi kaw on my Tiger and love it. The only Briggs I would buy is the 35 Briggs that they put on the Turf Tiger. I know 4 people that have the 19 kaw Tiger cub and have zero issues with them.

I have the Kawi 19 on my 48" it pulls great. It actually pulls better than the 21 Briggs that was on my old Craftsman.

The briggs was pulling 500 pound lawn tractor, plus me at 325 Total 825
The kawi is pulling 1,100 pound Cub plus me at 325 total 1,425

Lawnut101
01-22-2010, 01:32 PM
I have a Briggs on my Bobcat. It is a pretty good engine, but seems to use oil, which scares me. It's only got about 280 hrs on it. If I were you I would go with a Kaw, unless it is a lot higher than the Briggs. My dealer talked me into saving money by going the Briggs route. He said if you gotta replace an engine, you won't be out anything, because the amount you save up front is the amount a new Kaw costs.

pitrack
01-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Do you guys think a 19 horse Kaw is enough for a 48" Tiger Cat though?

A Leaf Above
01-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Yes it is ..I have the 48 tiger cub and it has the 19hp Kawi on it ..It has been a work horse with very little troubles.

pitrack
01-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Yes it is ..I have the 48 tiger cub and it has the 19hp Kawi on it ..It has been a work horse with very little troubles.

Thank you for your reply. Do you typically mow thick tall grass? Or I guess have you before with the mower and how has it handled it? Any pictures of the mower or possibly some of the yards cut with it?

Thanks agian for your reply.

A Leaf Above
01-22-2010, 04:43 PM
How thick and tall are you talking about? Im sure it will bog down if you are cutting an overgrown lot that hasnt been cut in some time ...Here is the thread with my tigercub pic ...Im the 2nd poster. Tigercub with the 19kawi is on right.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=301824

pitrack
01-22-2010, 04:59 PM
How thick and tall are you talking about? Im sure it will bog down if you are cutting an overgrown lot that hasnt been cut in some time ...Here is the thread with my tigercub pic ...Im the 2nd poster. Tigercub with the 19kawi is on right.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=301824

Nothing crazy, just for when you have a yard that hasn't been mowed in a couple weeks or so.

Thanks for the pic, I see you also have a Wildcat. What is your opinion on the Tiger Cat with the 19 kawi, or spending another $1400-1600 for a 48" Wildcat with the 26 lq Kawi? Worth the extra money?

By the way, what is that on the Wildcat that covers where the grass shoots out? Something you can fold down when you don't want the grass to shoot out or leave up when you want it to? I tried making one of those for one of my walk behinds but never worked very well, love the idea though.

Thanks

A Leaf Above
01-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Oh boy ...If you can afford the Wildcat ...GET IT !!!! I love that machine ..Its quieter , it cuts better ..Its just an awesome beast ..Well worth it in my opinion.
On the side of the mowers are the advanced chute system which is on the Tigercub and a Powerchute on the Wildcat ...I will never own a mower without a chute on the discharge.Here are some pics of the Powerchute on the Wildcat. It opens and closes with a footswitch.

pitrack
01-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Oh boy ...If you can afford the Wildcat ...GET IT !!!! I love that machine ..Its quieter , it cuts better ..Its just an awesome beast ..Well worth it in my opinion.
On the side of the mowers are the advanced chute system which is on the Tigercub and a Powerchute on the Wildcat ...I will never own a mower without a chute on the discharge.Here are some pics of the Powerchute on the Wildcat. It opens and closes with a footswitch.

Well I have an opportunity to get very good prices on Scag mowers and the price difference between a 19 hore Kaw 48" Tiger Cat and a 48" Wildcat with the 26 lq Kaw is about $1400. I really think I am going to try to just fork over the extra cash for the Wildcat.

I love the Powerchute, that is exactly what I was trying to design on my walk behind. That would be awesome if you get close to mulch beds or areas where you don't want to spray grass all over. Does it seal the grass in pretty well?

Thanks for all the replies, you have helped my decision. It's been a hard decision for me but you were a great help since you own both of the mowers I was trying to decide on.

A Leaf Above
01-22-2010, 05:28 PM
As you can see from the photo i put an extra rubber seal on the top of the chute ..It was from a 2in door sweep that i had laying around..The chute had about a 1/4 in gap at top so i put that rubber on there so i dont get alot of blowout..The Wildcat shown is a 52in with the 26 kawi LQ.

pitrack
01-22-2010, 05:34 PM
As you can see from the photo i put an extra rubber seal on the top of the chute ..It was from a 2in door sweep that i had laying around..The chute had about a 1/4 in gap at top so i put that rubber on there so i dont get alot of blowout..The Wildcat shown is a 52in with the 26 kawi LQ.

What about those slits? It looks like there are slits in the metal?

A Leaf Above
01-22-2010, 05:44 PM
No worries about those slits ..Grass does not come out of them :) ..It holds a tight seal ...A little pricey but i would definately buy another .It works very well so far .

pitrack
01-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Sounds good. Well cool thanks again, bring on the spring!

DKJLawnCare
01-23-2010, 02:15 AM
The 19/48 cub/cat can handle the tall grass pretty well. But i would get the wildcat if you can spend the extra 1,400.

Foreclosed property had probably a 3-4 weeks of growth

BEFORE
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/ocb_dave_ocb/DSCF1750.jpg

AFTER
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/ocb_dave_ocb/015-4.jpg

*Edit*
Re-sized picture

Bluffman
01-23-2010, 05:34 PM
My Tiger Cub with the 19 Kawi is an awesome machine. This debate is brought up constantly. I will say though that there is very little negative opinion on the Kawis. Same for the Kohlers. Not so much support for the Briggs though you will find that there are owners of them who swear by them. MY OPINION is that the Briggs ELS is more of a homeowner/light commercial duty engine. The other two are definately true commercial engines.

Grass Shark
01-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Kaaawwwiiii

pitrack
01-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Thank you for the advice guys, I appreciate it!