PDA

View Full Version : Painting your equipment

km6483
01-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Do you guys paint your equipment in the off season? I have a couple toros and Im thinking about cleaning them up with some paint. Just wondering how many people actaully do it and if its worth it....Thxs

93Chevy
01-21-2010, 10:50 PM
If you want to spend the time to do that, I say go for it. It's good for teaching patience, and if you do it yourself, you probably won't be spending a ton of money. I plan on painting the wheels on my 21" and my truck and trailer rims this coming season.

MikeKle
01-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Do you realize how much taping off that would be to paint a mower? ALOT!! Plus it would near impossible to hit all the nooks and crannies of a mower. Why even mess with it in the first place though, just wash it real good if you want it to look good.

mowerbrad
01-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Are you just going to touch up the paint on areas that were scraped and/or rusting or are you going to completely repaint the whole mower?

topsites
01-22-2010, 01:26 AM
Most mowers are painted at the factory by a machine also referred to as a robot,
this is done to ensure paint uniformity and I believe the process is called powder coating
as it involves multiple layers of paint, keeping in mind that at the factory all of the
individual pieces are painted and hung to dry long before any assembly even takes place.

So other than a quick touch up it's just not a process I'm trying to duplicate.

rcslawncare
01-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Touch up the trim side of the deck? Sure! Anything more, I don't see the point unless you have the deck of engine off for repairs.

MikeKle
01-22-2010, 08:22 AM
powder coating is not multiple layers of paint, and is not paint at all, it is actually powder, and the mower frame or metal piece being coated is energized with an electric current going thru it, then the powder is applied by a static process that attracts the powder to the metal piece, then it is baked in a huge oven at 400 degrees. This is extremely tough and is much better than paint. and will not chip or peel off, even when the piece is bent up, the powder coating actually bends with it and still will not chip off. This is the best way to coat any metal pieces, and isnt that pricey, but getting the large enough oven to bake the piece is the tough part, but you can get powder coating kits pretty cheaply and small parts can go right in your home oven!!

JB1
01-22-2010, 08:27 AM
paint it you'll do fine and learn some things in the process, I've did it before.