PDA

View Full Version : replacement engine help please!!!

Ziob
01-22-2010, 10:39 AM
hi everyone,
i got an older 18hp briggs and stratton I/C Twin II engine horizontal shaft that fits perfect into one of our machines with just enough room......all other engines we've checked out aren't the low profile this one has and are just to tall to fit and line up properly.......anyone know where we could try looking for a new or used replacement engine same size or identical to this one besides ebay??? briggs said they discontinued the model.

any help appreciated!
thanks

Grass Shark
01-22-2010, 11:02 AM
horizontal shaft? what kind of mower are we on?

betmr
01-22-2010, 12:29 PM
hi everyone,
i got an older 18hp briggs and stratton I/C Twin II engine horizontal shaft that fits perfect into one of our machines with just enough room......all other engines we've checked out aren't the low profile this one has and are just to tall to fit and line up properly.......anyone know where we could try looking for a new or used replacement engine same size or identical to this one besides ebay??? briggs said they discontinued the model.

any help appreciated!
thanks

That engine may be discontinued, but there should be a direct replacement. Look around the brigs website, find it, take the model # then start looking for it. Chances are the replacement will be more HP. Emission Regs. are causing this situation. And I have been told, there in lies the need for more horses.

topsites
01-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Need an engine model number, and chances are once you have it
that you can help yourself but I can't do much without it.

Richard Martin
01-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Try where they sell discontinued engines. What you're looking for is a place like this: https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp?UID=2252012214555574. They don't have what you're looking for but that's the kind of place that would have one.

pugs
01-22-2010, 06:11 PM
That engine may be discontinued, but there should be a direct replacement.

The replacement will be a V-twin which doesnt allways fit where a horizontally opposed twin would.

What machine is this in? Vertical or Horizontal shaft? You may find a surplus briggs somewhere that might work.

Another option would be to find a Kohler....KT17 or a M18/20 but you wont like the price. Alot of places still have these around though.

Ben's Landscape
01-22-2010, 07:04 PM
just an option. you could rebuild the motor. i did that to my 16 opposed twin like yours and it runs so much better. and it was cheaper than a new motor.