PDA

View Full Version : Found Friends!!

Landscape Poet
01-22-2010, 02:14 PM
So I went to bid on a property for a potential client today for routine weekly service today and had a interesting find. I found a friend while there. When called to come bid I usually ask if there are any dogs or others pets that I need to be concerned about. The home owner had stated that they no longer had pets. I now see what happened to the pets.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Glenn Lawn Care
01-22-2010, 02:20 PM
i would of had a bowel movement if i saw that thing!

topsites
01-22-2010, 02:27 PM
omg F that I ain't never seen no such thing except on TV and maybe in a zoo!

Man that puts a whole new light on things, I think I'll gladly step in piles of dog
poop from now on, yup, just goes to show I never did know how good I had it.

i would of had a bowel movement if i saw that thing!

I'm saying...

Premier landscaping south
01-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I see you and your friend are not that close. LOL.

My brother in law lives and grew up in fort pierce FL and I have seen him pick up small gators and large snakes. Yes he is nuts.

I think I would be doing a barney fife impression for sure as soon as I saw that gator!:laugh:

I guess you would have to just trim around him ehh.

Is that a large community he is shacking up in? Like a retirement place or something?

JayD
01-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Holly Cow! ......I mean gator......

Did you try saying here Kitty Kitty Kitty?

Mike Blevins
01-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Juan you go trim the bank down at the water's edge, I'll get up here around the house.:laugh::laugh::waving:

JB1
01-22-2010, 02:49 PM
mow along and blow grass on him.

Landscape Poet
01-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Is that a large community he is shacking up in? Like a retirement place or something?
No it is not, just a gated community that has a small lake around it. We live by Lake Jessup which has one of the largest concentrations of gators in FL, it is not uncommon to see several of them in the morning sunbathing themselves on the surface of the water. However I have not encountered them in a lawn yet, the closest I have come was watching a pro bait a gator out of the same community earlier this spring.
I am pretty sure that the owner would understand if I had to skip trimming that area for a week. :laugh:

mulchmaster
01-22-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't see the problem, the homeowner has supplied you with "gator blades"! :laugh:

Valk
01-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I heard that mulching up a gator is good for the soil...

Landscape Poet
01-22-2010, 03:19 PM
LOL I guess I could of named this thread - So you want to mow in Florida! LOL

mowerbrad
01-22-2010, 03:31 PM
yeah............I think I'll be staying up here, no more wishing to move to florida. Mowing definately looks much safer up here. Good luck with him though.

Florida Gardener
01-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Dang Mike! That's pretty cool imo. i guess until it chases you lol

tomslawnservice
01-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Send him to Louisiana he looks delicious

Landscape Poet
01-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Dang Mike! That's pretty cool imo. i guess until it chases you lol

I have already left a message for one of my clients (HOA president) that lives in the neighborhood. I suggested they call Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission to get a suggestion on a licensed nuisance alligator trapper. I am sure they will have him removed as this is what they did this spring when I first started in the subdivision. Whoever gets the call will be happy I am sure, from what I understand they make darn good money doing it.

Landscape Poet
01-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Could make lots of Gumbo with him!!

Golfpro21
01-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Can you say DANGER PAY!!!!

onblawn
01-22-2010, 04:59 PM
This is why I mow in Kansas!

echeandia
01-22-2010, 05:12 PM
One time I came across a chipmunk.

Chilehead
01-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Don't sweat the gator. That one is just basking in the sun. I have ridden my bicycle plenty of times around Bank's Lake in Valdosta, GA with several gators on the road. As I approach them, I slow to about 15mph so as not to spook them. They just lie there as I pass-not even a twitch. Now in the spring (mating season) you need to be careful. They are a bit more aggressive then.

Mickhippy
01-22-2010, 05:28 PM

But its not dead and on the side of the road! haaaaa Couldnt resist!:clapping:

I'd sh!ttin myself every time I trimmed near the waters edge. Think I'd add some danger money (like golfpro said) to any bid on that place!

MikeKle
01-22-2010, 05:39 PM
AHHH, I think I would have to charge a bit more for those working conditions!! I guess that is considered hazardous duty??!! That is one huge gator BTW!! I guess no one swims in that beautiful lake in the background? Not even a Dixie Chopper could out run that big guy, as gators can run really fast on land, like over 15 mph.!! Think he would let you just trim around him?!! That is the one thing I would not like about FL, but they are only in the fresh water lakes..right? not in the salt water, as Im pretty sure FL does not have salt water crocs?

Landscape Poet
01-22-2010, 06:00 PM
That is the one thing I would not like about FL, but they are only in the fresh water lakes..right? not in the salt water, as Im pretty sure FL does not have salt water crocs?

Although a lot more rare than the gators, crocs are native to FL (everglades) and have been know to be found as far north as Tampa. Either way - if one of these guy's were protecting a nest in spring....and hungry...I do not think you would care which one it was....you just better hope you could run fast in a zig zag pattern!

billslawn89
01-22-2010, 06:36 PM
i've seen a few this past year sunning themselves, but nothing that long.... sure spooked me when i seen the gator at my clients, edging along the water and looked up and seen the thing...lol..i went the other way real slow...lol..knocked on the clients door and told her i will not be trimming along the water this week, she asked why, and i told her to look out her lanai, then she said, oh, o.k....lol

grassman177
01-22-2010, 06:48 PM
yeah, seriuosly F that. no way would i mow in gator country. nope, not me. we freak out when we come across a 5ft copperhead that strikes at you while trimming!!!!

JayD
01-22-2010, 07:09 PM
:laugh:I don't see the problem, the homeowner has supplied you with "gator blades"! :laugh:

LMAO....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

T.M. LAWNS
01-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Juan you go trim the bank down at the water's edge, I'll get up here around the house.:laugh::laugh::waving:

That's not very nice Mike :laugh::laugh::laugh:

JayD
01-22-2010, 08:10 PM
I think I would be carrying my 357 with me from now on....

Junior M
01-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Ah ya bunch of pussy's! It wont hurt ya unless you mess with it..

Chilehead
01-22-2010, 08:19 PM
yeah, seriuosly F that. no way would i mow in gator country. nope, not me. we freak out when we come across a 5ft copperhead that strikes at you while trimming!!!!

Yeah, I know about copperheads. Even though they are a pit viper by genus, they really are a timid snake. If you bother them they will first try to retreat, then they'll play dead, then if you keep at them they'll strike. Now cottonmouths? Southeastern diamondbacks? Aggressive by nature. I've heard that rattlesnake is pretty tasty though.

JayD
01-22-2010, 09:01 PM

I'd rather be a pussy then a DEAD or ONE legged DUMB ASS!

South Florida Lawns
01-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Now that would be a good one to wrestle. This time of year they're always on the banks sunning.

DLAWNS
01-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Dude, let me just tell you, when I moved to Florida I was spraying turf for a big lawn and landscape company...One time my boss was driving the truck and I was spraying, well he starts pointing, well I turn around and there is a freakin gator just chilling maybe 20 yards from me. Now you southern boys are thinking that's no big deal, but I'm from Jersey and I never saw one up close I about dropped dead, I got very still, crept away and when I felt safe enough ran like hell. My boss thought it was the funniest thing ever in life. After that, I was a lot less scared and saw them all the time and actually thought they were cool. But it was the initial shock that got me.

Mahoney3223
01-22-2010, 11:53 PM
i am in agreement that i as well, would have pooped my pants

Junior M
01-23-2010, 12:31 AM
I never said I'd get that close and personal. But it aint gonna chase ya down..

landdecorinc
01-23-2010, 12:51 AM
:confused:It looks like he's been around a while by the size of him. Let someone else mow & trim down along the water. LOL

Greenleaf Lawns
01-23-2010, 03:29 AM
I love Kansas, whoa

CkLandscapingOrlando
01-23-2010, 07:12 AM
You guy's got me cracking up here. Yes we got ALOT of gators, machasons, rattlers, moniter lizards, pythones, monkey's, and even crocs down here. They dont worry me on land though. I was trimming a lake in Kiss that had one in it. That sucker stalked me for 1.5hr. He would stay about 5ft of shore then just disapear under water.(This is when you run up the bank) Then he would pop back up a little close. The croc hunter said the only snack he was afraid of was a machason, and for good reason. These will chase you. On the same prop as the gator we had one that would come out every week when we mowed. One week he had enough and bit the front of the deck.... The also just pulled a dead 18ft I think it was anaconda out of a sewer drain down here. The freze got him.

The bottom line is, ever piece of water in this state has a gator, if not it will before the years out.

sehitchman
01-23-2010, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=Michael Geist Yard Works;you just better hope you could run fast in a zig zag pattern![/QUOTE]

I was a small town farm boy from Ohio in 1982. Took a job in Tampa and made the big move to FL. The new boss was a University of South Fl booster and signed me up for the athletic dept golf tournament on the campus course. At the pre tee off meeting everyone stood in a line in front of the carts and listened to the rules. The director asked "does anyone not know how to run from a gator?" I glanced at the boss and shrugged, he gave me a big shove and I stumbled from the line out into the open. The whole crowd was laughing and I'm all red. I then got the don't mess and run in a zig zag if they chase you lecture. I saw probably a dozen over 8' that day laying on the course. They were there first.:)

MikeKle
01-23-2010, 11:38 AM
You guy's got me cracking up here. Yes we got ALOT of gators, machasons, rattlers, moniter lizards, pythones, monkey's, and even crocs down here. They dont worry me on land though. I was trimming a lake in Kiss that had one in it. That sucker stalked me for 1.5hr. He would stay about 5ft of shore then just disapear under water.(This is when you run up the bank) Then he would pop back up a little close. The croc hunter said the only snack he was afraid of was a machason, and for good reason. These will chase you. On the same prop as the gator we had one that would come out every week when we mowed. One week he had enough and bit the front of the deck.... The also just pulled a dead 18ft I think it was anaconda out of a sewer drain down here. The freze got him.

The bottom line is, ever piece of water in this state has a gator, if not it will before the years out.

I never knew FL had native monkeys?!! And you were very lucky you didnt become that gators lunch! If he stalked you for that long, he really liked you! when they disappear, that is when they are preparing to lunge at you, and they are MUCH quicker then we are, on land, or in the water. Plus Ive heard gators are very patient and smart, they can keep[ track of time and when you come near the water! That would be one terrible way to die too, getting drug underwater and stored under a log until they are ready to eat you! I like gators though, they are basically un-changed since the dinosaurs were here, just a little smaller nowadays!

S L C
01-23-2010, 02:03 PM

lmao.. :clapping::clapping::drinkup::drinkup::laugh:

Daniel's Lawn Care
01-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Just to stay on friendly terms with the gator, why not toss the old lady's fat cat to it. While he is enjoying lunch, RUN! BTW, how fast can your mower go?

Hoy landscaping
01-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Can you say DANGER PAY!!!!

can you say humidity pay?

topsites
01-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Just to stay on friendly terms with the gator, why not toss the old lady's fat cat to it. While he is enjoying lunch, RUN! BTW, how fast can your mower go?

Nowhere near as fast as that gator at full gallop, you'd be surprised how fast them things can move.
I think someone mentioned 15mph, I wouldn't put it past one at all, maybe even faster.
They can't run far at a high rate of speed, but even a few 100 feet is far enough.

It is a cold-blooded creature, so in temperatures much below 80 degrees it is normally
in a somewhat dormant state but that doesn't mean it can NOT move.
Why they like to bake in the sun, the creature needs HEAT much like we do, there's no telling what
that thing's body temperature is like, I'd assume it warms up gradually as it sits there.
Once their body temperature approaches ours, watch out.
But they can still make a move under not so ideal circumstances, too.

I don't know, definitely not creatures I'm fond of, heck I about catch a heart attack over snakes not even a 10th that size.
That thing looks to be about as long as my truck...

Grnhed
01-23-2010, 03:20 PM

Yea, and they keep having VACANCIES!!!!

Rates are cheap tho, remember, you don't have to be the fastest walker there, just faster than the slowest.

I'd have one of those scooters with a shotgun mount on the floor board.

Makes for great trimmer practice though,,,,,, you wouldn't nick him but once or twice. Make you a better trimmer along the fence. *grinnin*

Grnhed
01-23-2010, 03:22 PM

Yea and VIDEO it. That would be a $100,000 video for sure

Grnhed
01-23-2010, 03:24 PM
This is why I mow in Kansas!

Yea but dang, your dodgin em tornaders all thuh time.

rob7233
01-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Every year it seems, a local news station reports about some "landscaper" who gets hurt from a gator attack. I'm sure some of these boneheads figure they'll just mess with the Gator for laughs and then "Oh, Crap, I'm lunch !!"

Mike, Remember last year when the cops arrested the drunk dude swimming in a lake at midnight AGAIN? He already had one arm bitten off by a Gator while swimming at THE SAME LAKE, after midnight, on a prior occasion.

How stupid can you be??! The guy must've had some death wish! :hammerhead:

Grnhed
01-23-2010, 03:27 PM

hahahaahh, I wanna ride with you one day!

Grnhed
01-23-2010, 03:28 PM

*slaps knee laffin*, yup!

Landscape Poet
01-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Every year it seems, a local news station reports about some "landscaper" who gets hurt from a gator attack. I'm sure some of these boneheads figure they'll just mess with the Gator for laughs and then "Oh, Crap, I'm lunch !!"

Mike, Remember last year when the cops arrested the drunk dude swimming in a lake at midnight AGAIN? He already had one arm bitten off by a Gator while swimming at THE SAME LAKE, after midnight, on a prior occasion.

How stupid can you be??! The guy must've had some death wish! :hammerhead:

I did not catch that one, however I am sure that it happened. I did catch the news on the 8 footer they pulled out up by Lake Mary last year. Called in trapper after a large portion of the neighborhoods pets had goon missing. Trapper at that time stated that he should get roughly $4000 for the fee, skin and meat, not a bad couple days work.
People especially, those that grew up here, scare me how casual they are about gators. We have people that break the rules and go swimming in our HOA pool at night. No way in hell you will catch me there after dusk. The locals that go skiing and hanging out on Lake Jessup make me shake my head. I have no issue going to the beach and hanging out in the ocean, but their is no way you will catch me in the lakes around here or any other body of water after dusk.

rob7233
01-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Every time I fly into Orlando, I'm amazed how many bodies of water we have. Retention ponds and lakes everywhere. You can bet in everyone of them, there is a gator. It's a regular occurance to see them from the road while traveling in your car, openly sunbathing on the paved banks of the retention ponds around here. Make sure to ask: "How much are you paying to cut around that pond, now?"

FastMan
01-23-2010, 04:13 PM
The land speed I consistently hear for gators is 35 mph for short distances. Best employ your zig zag pattern quickly.

When I was living in Florida I used to go kayaking in the backwaters. I frequently would paddle past gators sunning on the shore. The creepy times were when approaching one in the water the critter would submerge and disappear, and I'd float over top of the spot it just was.

Now here in Colorado all I have are bears and mountain lions to contend with. Just last week in the town next door, a family sitting out on their deck watched helplessly as a mountain lion bounded into their yard, snatched up their little dog, and trotted off into the mountains with him in his mouth, never to be seen again. The dog was standing 10 yards away from the family.

Junior M
01-23-2010, 04:15 PM
The land speed I consistently hear for gators is 35 mph for short distances. Best employ your zig zag pattern quickly.

When I was living in Florida I used to go kayaking in the backwaters. I frequently would paddle past gators sunning on the shore. The creepy times were when approaching one in the water the critter would submerge and disappear, and I'd float over top of the spot it just was.

Now here in Colorado all I have are bears and mountain lions to contend with. Just last week in the town next door, a family sitting out on their deck watched helplessly as a mountain lion bounded into their yard, snatched up their little dog, and trotted off into the mountains with him in his mouth, never to be seen again. The dog was standing 10 yards away from the family.
I couldnt deal with no dam mountain lion.

I can deal with a gator, mostly cause they dont really effect me. Only time I am ever around there turf where they could hurt me is duck hunting, but its to dam cold for them to be around..

But a mountain lion sounds way more dangerous..

FastMan
01-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Mountain lions generally keep to themselves, Junior, but every so often an individual will get bold like this. Currently the elementary school in that town has armed guards stationed when the kids are out on the playground. They're more apt to attack a small kid than a full size human.

I'm out hiking in the mountains all the time. Last week I found a deer leg, freshly separated from the body and eaten to the bone. It appeared to me to be the work of a lion. Though I've yet to spot one while hiking, I'm sure on many occasions lions have stealthly watched me from their perch as I passed by. Some people carry a pistol with them when they hike. Most don't. I don't. My 357 stays at home. If I hear in the future of a spike in human/cat incidents in the area I might reevaluate.

tomslawnservice
01-23-2010, 06:02 PM
this is what happened when a golfer got to close to the water. He lived and had his arm reattached but it wouldn't be fun

Landscape Poet
01-23-2010, 06:33 PM
this is what happened when a golfer got to close to the water. He lived and had his arm reattached but it wouldn't be fun

One of many reasons you will not catch me out golfing on my days off either! How damn freaky would that be to see your hand in a mouth of a Gator just floating around all full of himself like that.

CkLandscapingOrlando
01-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Well the monkeys are'nt native but the are wild. When they filmed tarzan here the monkey's got free and still are. We also have brown bears, panthers, and alot of sharks.

I know a few guy's that hunt the gators at night. That means you cant use a gun. They just dive off the boat on top and cut their throat. I've also canooed next to them many times. I mean to the point were you could touch them if you like. That aint gonna mess with you to much.

I seen that drunk guy on the news. I also seen that teen that went out drunk and got snatched up and the lady that was listening to her ipod with her feet hanging over the culvert and the gator jumped up and snatched her in. Alot of folks get in trouble but they just aint watching. Like that gator that folowed me. As long as I can see him I aint worried. Once he goes under, I'm gone...

Snacks, now those scare me. They dont hybernate here either. They just move slower

FastMan
01-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Chuck, some of your bears may be brown, but they're not actually brown bears. There's a difference. Brown bears are relatives of grizzlies. Black bears are sometimes colored brown.

indy2tall
01-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Snacks, now those scare me. They dont hybernate here either. They just move slower

Yep, a giant Hostess cupcake almost caught me the other day. There for a second I thought I was going to suffocate in a blob of frosty filling. Then there was the day that a gang of Fritos chased me down the block. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

MikeKle
01-24-2010, 12:38 AM
I dated this girl when I was in my late teens who lived in Demossville, KY. It is a fairly rural area with small mountains, and lots of forests. Her family had pictures of all the wildlife they had seen while living there, there is the occasional bear, and they had one picture of a good sized black lion, I guess it is a mountain lion? I never knew we had any of those here in KY?!! I was scared to go outside of her house after that!!! And the area her house was in would be PERFECT for a mountain lion, lots of rocky mountains, lots of pine trees, thick forests, great places for one to hide!!!

FastMan
01-24-2010, 01:35 AM
Now that I'm living out here in these amazing Rocky Mountains, I decided I to get into photography. Here's a shot I took of one of the little kitties we have out here.

http://images.lawnsite.com/images/attach/jpg.gif