PDA

View Full Version : discount on a new mower for working for a non-profit

turbo5560
01-22-2010, 04:57 PM
i've heard of this for different company's but i was told for toro that if you show a signed contract with a non-profit business (like a church), that you can get a discount on the purchase of a mower. Does anyone know what that rate is for toro or exmark mowers?

SouthSide Cutter
01-22-2010, 05:35 PM
I just got off the phone with my dealer. 30% on Toro and 26% on Scag. Last one I bought from Scag was 20% off.

echeandia
01-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Wow. I can hear the stampede heading to the churches.

Pat'sPerfectLawnService
01-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Wow. I can hear the stampede heading to the churches.

haha yea me too

Ben's Landscape
01-22-2010, 06:00 PM
WOW looks like i might have to loook into that!!

turbo5560
01-22-2010, 08:04 PM
awesome! Anyone know about exmark? I kinda have a sweet spot for them ;) put toros are basically the same thing and they have better financing right now.

TXNSLighting
01-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Wow, im headin to the nearest church!

turbo5560
01-22-2010, 11:07 PM
also, anyone know what john deeres discount is?

MOHUSTLER
01-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Here is the catch 22 for that. You have to put it under the churches name. Therefore you cant deduct it on your taxes if your a commercial cutter. :cry:

turbo5560
01-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Here is the catch 22 for that. You have to put it under the churches name. Therefore you cant deduct it on your taxes if your a commercial cutter. :cry:

well it depends on the model you buy (i just went to the local jd dealer) he said if you buy the 900 series you can get the discount under your company name, but if you buy, i think it was the 800 series, that it would have to be in the churches name to get the discount.

Bustedblade
01-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Sounds like the church of the holy discount!
Posted via Mobile Device

AdamChrap
01-23-2010, 09:54 AM
It is true with Toro at least. Need a signed contract that has a full year left on it (12 Months not 7 or 8 they are picky about that) and the churches tax id number. Some of the smaller dealers have no clue how to do this deal.

P.Services
01-23-2010, 10:06 AM
The toro fleet pricing gives you the same discount
Posted via Mobile Device

AdamChrap
01-23-2010, 11:01 AM
The toro fleet pricing gives you the same discount
Posted via Mobile Device

You have to buy 3 mowers in 1 year for the fleet correct?

2low4NH
01-23-2010, 11:06 AM
does it have to be a church? i mow for a non profit but its not a church. i would guess any 501-c3 would fit in to this void

grassman177
01-23-2010, 11:29 AM
the discount would be the only reason i would go to a church, but i am not sure my brands offer such a thing. plus, we avoid churches here as they are poor payers and i dont work for free.

i still do not understand why they get to operate under these tax laws as they are a business like any other, especially the catholics who have serious money. i dont agree with it

pkra12
01-23-2010, 11:32 AM
toro doesn't have to be under the churches name. also schools, charities, some gov offices count.they are pretty much willing to push anything through to make the sale, i cut a house owned by a church to get my discount. and don't forget u can still charge the account u are cutting, i found that out after i had agreed cut it as a donation to the church

AdamChrap
01-23-2010, 01:25 PM
the discount would be the only reason i would go to a church, but i am not sure my brands offer such a thing. plus, we avoid churches here as they are poor payers and i dont work for free.

i still do not understand why they get to operate under these tax laws as they are a business like any other, especially the catholics who have serious money. i dont agree with it

We mow for a few churches and they pay on time and on par with all my other accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
01-23-2010, 01:36 PM

Same here, even thou 30% off $3,700 is over a grand but there has to be more to it...
After all if I'm not willing to work for free why would the dealer?

Something about this being a little too good to be true keeps ringing a little bell.

Lawnut101
01-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Has anybody had experience with this? Or are these just numbers we have "heard"? My dealer just said it is a "real good" discount.

AdamChrap
01-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I have used it twice I Believe the exact discount is 27%. No you don't have to put it in the churches name or mow the church for free. 27% on my Diesels equaled a lot of money off!

pkra12
01-23-2010, 08:29 PM
30% off the grandstand, sounds to too good to be true but i bought my 52 last sept. and there really are no strings attatched and don't forget u do not have to cut the church for free to get the discount

jlouki01
01-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Each manufacture is different. Exmark is around 15%, deere can get up to 20+% depending on the piece of equipment.

We have a contract with a school which counts as a state contract so we use on everything we buy.

Your contract must have 12 months remaining though.

For Exmark it puts it below dealer cost but the dealers like it because Exmark kicks back all that money to them. It works out so the dealer gets pretty much full retail on the unit.

Mahoney3223
01-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Same here, even thou 30% off $3,700 is over a grand but there has to be more to it...
After all if I'm not willing to work for free why would the dealer?

Something about this being a little too good to be true keeps ringing a little bell.

totally agree....

integrityman
01-23-2010, 11:27 PM
I mow for a church at no charge and use it as a tax discount. It helps, But this is useful information.

integrityman
01-23-2010, 11:29 PM
I have used it twice I Believe the exact discount is 27%. No you don't have to put it in the churches name or mow the church for free. 27% on my Diesels equaled a lot of money off!

Adam- I may need to be schooled in getting the discount as I do performa fair amont of work for 503-c3s. I have your number and email...

lilweeds
01-24-2010, 09:51 AM
That's how I did mine. I think the discount was only 23% though.

Lawnut101
01-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Do municipal contracts count as a non profit? Or how does that work?

2low4NH
01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
i doubt municipal accounts work for this. any non profit would be a 501-c3 most of them dont have properties. churches are the biggest group of non profit you can do. Does anyone know if Wright offers a deal like this?

AdamChrap
01-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Do municipal contracts count as a non profit? Or how does that work?

Not sure exactly, I think I used a Post Office once.

MOHUSTLER
01-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Each manufacture is different. Exmark is around 15%, deere can get up to 20+% depending on the piece of equipment.

For Exmark it puts it below dealer cost but the dealers like it because Exmark kicks back all that money to them. It works out so the dealer gets pretty much full retail on the unit.

I wish it worked that good for us. as a dealer we get the shaft on big assist sales. I dont think any dealer gets back the 30% discount. 15% at most. The majority of the time 10%-12%

LewisLawn
01-25-2010, 10:49 AM
I know when I bought my toro the dealer showed me the price list for them compared to MSRP and then the discounted price with the proper Tax id info....I mow for a church and have mowed for other Non-profits before and got paid for it. On my Toro I saved over 1500 plus got great financing less than 2% for 36 mos.
This is only for commercial level equipment

pugs
01-25-2010, 11:28 AM
One thing you guys have to remember is its % off of MSRP which you probably dont pay for new stuff anyway. Its not 30% or whatever off of what you paid for the last mower you bought...

topsites
01-25-2010, 11:49 AM
All right I get it...
I was going to say something earlier but was figuring on letting a few people
RUN up to the church and maybe make a fool of themselves lol, sorry about that.

Here's another...
When someone mentions working for free they don't always mean free-free...
50% off is just as good, with profit margins as slim as they are by the time I give up much over a few percent
I done eliminated all of my profit... By then I'm better off staying home, when it's costing me more to go out.
And that to me, is working for free... Did wanted to clarify that.
But anyhow...

I wish it worked that good for us. as a dealer we get the shaft on big assist sales. I dont think any dealer gets back the 30% discount. 15% at most. The majority of the time 10%-12%

Now it makes sense, because what I've been saying the whole time is the church gets a fat discount, too,
even thou I didn't say it in those exact words but churches generally expect 1/3 - 1/2 price, has been my experience.

But with this system here everybody eats 10-15%...
The Lco gives the church 40-45% off minus the 30% for the mower = 10-15%
Then it's like you said, the dealer gets 10-15% back.
And the manufacturer eats the final 10-15%.

I can tolerate that, probably not something I'll be getting into much but nevertheless tolerable.

One thing you guys have to remember is its % off of MSRP which you probably dont pay for new stuff anyway. Its not 30% or whatever off of what you paid for the last mower you bought...

Of course always some caveat emptor too but you're right, it ain't a free mower but it is another way of paying for it.
As for tax deductions there really aren't any, at least not for a small company, can't deduct something I never made.
Yeah the price of the mower but at the discounted rate.

ORA_Rob
01-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Wonder if that covers HOA as it is also non-profit?

topsites
01-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Wonder if that covers HOA as it is also non-profit?

It probably would but here's the thing, if I'm not mistaken the discounted rates
are all going to have to add out some kind of even, probably...

So for instance lets say the contract should run $5000 but I give them $1050 off to
total $3950 and I get them to sign it at that discounted rate (-$350 I just ate, bear with me).
Because then I go to my dealer and he lets me have my mower $700 off so I'm even on the discount.
And the dealer is out $700 but he in turns gets the final $350 from the manufacturer, so now
the dealer is out $350 and so is the mfg and so am I, that way everybody just ate $350.
Uhhh... I'm still not sure if that math is right but I hope the idea or the concept is...
Everybody's supposed to eat some of that there discount, and it would be nice if the
amount was roughly the same for all involved.

What I'm saying is I don't think it would work to get some npo (non-profit org.)
to sign a $500 contract while getting 3 grand off the latest and greatest diesel.
An HOA might work, those contracts usually are no $500 lol

I think the contract is going to have to be comparable to the discount,
something which will have to be worked out between all parties
and preferably long before signatures and commitments take place.

ORA_Rob
01-25-2010, 02:33 PM
hmmm, I will check with my dealer. It looks like last year we spent $14,400 on grounds maintenance and that's just supplies and equipment only, assuming labor is to be factored in it would bring that total well over $23,000 to maintain the grounds here so it just may be worth my while to dig into this. Thanks for the insight.

dtc0207
01-25-2010, 03:04 PM
The key word missing in this is you must use the mower exclusively for that church till contract runs out I know what is coming next how will anyone else know but remember what comes around goes around saying

KW Lawn Care
01-25-2010, 04:42 PM
this is true last year i had the mowing account for a local fire dept and i bought a new predator pro, the dealer took like 2200 off the price all i had to give the deal was a letter from the fire dept on thier letter head stating that i have that lawn contract.

AdamChrap
01-25-2010, 04:57 PM
It probably would but here's the thing, if I'm not mistaken the discounted rates
are all going to have to add out some kind of even, probably...

So for instance lets say the contract should run $5000 but I give them $1050 off to
total $3950 and I get them to sign it at that discounted rate (-$350 I just ate, bear with me).
Because then I go to my dealer and he lets me have my mower $700 off so I'm even on the discount.
And the dealer is out $700 but he in turns gets the final $350 from the manufacturer, so now
the dealer is out $350 and so is the mfg and so am I, that way everybody just ate $350.
Uhhh... I'm still not sure if that math is right but I hope the idea or the concept is...
Everybody's supposed to eat some of that there discount, and it would be nice if the
amount was roughly the same for all involved.

What I'm saying is I don't think it would work to get some npo (non-profit org.)
to sign a $500 contract while getting 3 grand off the latest and greatest diesel.
An HOA might work, those contracts usually are no $500 lol

I think the contract is going to have to be comparable to the discount,
something which will have to be worked out between all parties
and preferably long before signatures and commitments take place.

Giving a discount to get the deal on the mower, I don't know about that but it is great if you happen to have a account that qualifies already.

AdamChrap
01-25-2010, 04:58 PM
The key word missing in this is you must use the mower exclusively for that church till contract runs out I know what is coming next how will anyone else know but remember what comes around goes around saying

I am not sure you are correct about this.

dtc0207
01-25-2010, 05:03 PM
I am not sure you are correct about this.

I know I'm sure I have just about every companies sale program book and they all say it is exclusive,

AdamChrap
01-25-2010, 05:44 PM
I know I'm sure I have just about every companies sale program book and they all say it is exclusive,

Funny I have never heard this from any of the dealers or Toro reps. Not saying you are wrong just that they must not care.

lilweeds
01-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Actually Adam he is correct on that. 100%

AdamChrap
01-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Ok so explain this. You are saying that technically if you get a mower with a NP discount you are required to use that mower for that account and only that account for the length of the contract you submitted. Again not just use it on that contract for the length but use it only for that contract?

If this was correct wouldn't that make you sign something saying you agree to that?

Only thing I have ever signed was the Toro GE Money financing form and the bill of sale on the mower so they can add it to my GE Money account.

FastMan
01-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Sounds like the dealer you do it through has a lot to do with the hoops you have to jump through. I spoke to one of the local toro dealers about this program last year and was told the mower had to be put in the name of the non profit.

lilweeds
01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
It doesn't need to be in the name of the NP. The Toro Rep was actually there when I purchased my first GS and it does say in the book that it can only be used at the contracted job. As it was said though: How would anyone know? I guess there are hoops, but it isn't that difficult.

FastMan
01-26-2010, 01:46 PM
It doesn't need to be in the name of the NP. The Toro Rep was actually there when I purchased my first GS and it does say in the book that it can only be used at the contracted job. As it was said though: How would anyone know? I guess there are hoops, but it isn't that difficult.

It's becomes difficult when your dealer says different, and doesn't seem interested in working through the program. What "book" are you talking about, and where would one gain access to it, beyond having to wrestle it out of the reluctant dealer?

Lawnut101
01-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Seems to me like there are a whole bunch of "rumors" about all this.

dtc0207
01-26-2010, 04:16 PM
I think eventually you will get caught, the mower companies aren't stupid they know your not buying a 10000 ztr to mow a 1 acre church this program is for someone that mower on military bases or schools were one man mowers all week

AdamChrap
01-26-2010, 04:47 PM
I think eventually you will get caught, the mower companies aren't stupid they know your not buying a 10000 ztr to mow a 1 acre church this program is for someone that mower on military bases or schools were one man mowers all week

I don't think anyone is going to "get caught" I don't think they care. Like I said I have used this program and never been told this, signed anything stating this or been made aware of it in any form. If I had to guess it is a old program that they decided to get lax on to move mowers and simply never re-wrote the the book.

lilweeds
01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
The way you get a reluctant dealer to take care of you is to find a dealer that is willing to.

southern indiana guy
04-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I called 2 dealers that sale scag and both of them told me I can not use this program unless I use the non profit's name and tax id #. If you have any other options please let me know.

FastMan
04-27-2010, 04:26 PM
I had the same response, from numerous dealers, southern indiana guy. lilweeds dealer may just be abusing the program.

southern indiana guy
04-27-2010, 04:32 PM
They also told me that the scag discount is only 10 percent. Same as if I bought two new mowers on the fleet program.

FastMan
04-27-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm purchasing under the Toro fleet program this year. A G3, walk behind, and a 21 inch is getting me 20 percent off the retail total.

southern indiana guy
04-27-2010, 04:52 PM
good deal.