PDA

View Full Version : Wright Stander RH, Which engine should I get

Rons Rightway Lawncare
01-22-2010, 08:24 PM
I am about to pull the trigger and get a stand on mower to use this season. I am tired of sitting on a hot vinyl seat and getting bounced around to death on my ZTR, I think a 52 inch Stander might even be faster for me on some of my properties.

I was thinking of getting the 52 with the 19 HP kawasaki, priced one out locally for 6200$ out the door. But the same dealer has one with a 25 HP Kawasaki for 6800$ out the door if I wanted the bigger engine.

The engines are both Kawasaki's but the 25 is supposed to be a different family of engine, supposed to be a better engine....?

I do know that the 25 comes with a Donaldson type airfilter which I know lasts a long time.... I have never had to replace a element on any mower I owned with one, where the 19 has a standard type filter and from experience they require at least some servicing every 100 hours or so.

Just trying to decide is the 25 HP engine worth the extra 600$

grassman177
01-22-2010, 08:30 PM
it might be a good idea if you run behind and tall grass like most of us. i dont know about less trouble with that engine over the 19 though, we have had way more issues with the 25 than the17/19. they are not both on standers i might add, the 25 we have is on a ztr

PTP
01-22-2010, 08:52 PM
I know that you didn't ask but . . .

My first choice in regards to an adjustable deck stander would be a Scag V-ride and then the Toro Grandstand and then the Wright Rapid-Hite. The reason for that is because I don't think that Wright got the balance right on that particular mower. I am also not a fan of the tires that it has.

The fixed deck stander is a great mower though - I have one. If they kept that overall design, improved the deck, and made the height easily adjustable, I would probably never consider anything else.

MOHUSTLER
01-23-2010, 09:11 AM
From what we sell, the 19 has plenty of power. But if you get in the thick stuff alot then go with the 25 just to make sure. At that price you cant go wrong.

Bustedblade
01-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Bustedblade
01-23-2010, 09:30 AM
I believe both are good but the 25 has a better oiling system, not to mention gobs of power. A friend of mine has the 25 on his and uses it on swalegrass at the automall. He loves that thing and it is fast!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenery
01-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Are they putting 25's in the rapid heights now? I thought the 19 was the only choice on a rapid height due to the larger motors not fitting. If so I would go with the 25.
And as far as standers being well balanced in my opinion they have all the other stand ons beat in that category. No comparison
Posted via Mobile Device

CustomKare
01-23-2010, 08:55 PM
I have a 19HP RH 52" Stander.............Under Powered.

I also have a 17hp Sentar 36" machine.....no problems.

IMO the 3 blades on the 52" is too much for the 19hp.

I only have 400 hours on mine and can't wait to get rid of it. It's been a daog since early on when I bought it new. My fault for not returning it.

Currently looking to down grade to a 48" anyway due to the fact most residential the 52" could scalp on uneven areas like on the sides of homes.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
01-23-2010, 10:37 PM
I know that you didn't ask but . . .

My first choice in regards to an adjustable deck stander would be a Scag V-ride and then the Toro Grandstand and then the Wright Rapid-Hite. The reason for that is because I don't think that Wright got the balance right on that particular mower. I am also not a fan of the tires that it has.

The fixed deck stander is a great mower though - I have one. If they kept that overall design, improved the deck, and made the height easily adjustable, I would probably never consider anything else.

None of my local dealers has gotten the new scag stander in yet. I like Scags, mainly due to the good cut the deck provides, but have been upset with scag at the same time. I have had 3 scag ZTR riders in the last few years and each one has one or two nagging problems that Scag just never could fix to my satisfaction. All 3 mowers would vibrate, as if it were the belts moving around too much or way out of balance blades.... And the one I currently has, it has been through 5 drive belts in 500 hours of operation, none of my mowers have eaten belts this fast and the dealer and scag both said it is what it is and it is my problem. I love the cut, and the way the mowers are built in general is good, but I am not sure I want another, at least not right now.

I do plan to keep my current scag rider. Nothing works better for me on leaves than to " work them " / mulch them with a ZTR. I also use it for pulling a aerator around when I aerate in the fall. I will keep the scag and use it from October through the end of the season and the stander for the bulk of the cutting season. Plus I will have the scag as a backup if I need to send the stander to the shop for something.

I have used a Wright RH for a little bit and found it to handle great. This was last summer, and I had been using a Great dane super surfer I had bought used to try out. The wright handled so much better I can't even find the words to use to describe it..... I only used the Great Dane one week and promptly sold it after I tried out the wright stander.

The fixed deck standers are nice, but I cut from 2 inches to 5 inches and I need to change the height quick and easy. Screw a fixed height deck!

Right now I am leaning towards getting the 25 hp unit. Normally I do not pay extra for bigger engines.... My Scag 61 inch ZTR only has 23 hp. But the donaldson filter is worth some of the price difference, and I have to think about resale value as I usually only keep a mower for 2-3 years before selling it and buying a new one.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
01-23-2010, 10:38 PM
BTW, my 42 inch ZTR has the 17 hp kawasaki, same engine as the 19 that comes on the Wright. It has never felt underpowered on the ZTR.

ed2hess
01-24-2010, 05:58 PM
If that bigger engine weighs a lot more that could put a lot of stress on the deck linkage including the detent device. We have replaced that a couple times and we have the smaller deck and 17hp.

mowerbrad
01-24-2010, 06:35 PM
The donaldson air filtrations systems are very nice, they seem to keep the air filter much cleaner for longer. I would never buy a mower without one again. I hate my standard air filter on my bob-cat, I have to clean it everyday when I'm bagging, especially when dethatching and everything is so dusty. I would also think that having the extra power would be nice for thick, wet grass.