PDA

View Full Version : Well I'am a owner of

Gravel Rat
01-22-2010, 09:40 PM
I'am a owner of a 2006 F-450 2wd 6.0 automatic with 43,000 miles (68,000kms). The truck is a repo from California not a spec of rust on the frame and clean the truck does have some cosmetic stuff but its a work truck. I bought a truck that has a market value of 29,000 for 23,000 the dealer wanted to sell needed the cash. The truck passed the inspection and has gone through by Ford and passed every check.

The 03 F-550 4x4 was a POS good thing I got the info on Alberta oil patch trucks and guess what was installed. A hour meter the engine had close to 5000 hours on the hour meter. The rear suspension was increased it had a spring packs you would see in a 5 ton truck. The truck was a well worn truck it would have needed a transmission and who knows about the engine.

The torqshift auto makes a HUGE difference with the 6.0 holy crap it feels like a completely different engine. I should beable to tow a trailer now with a skid steer or mini excavator. Have to get used to the increased turning radius. You can tell the suspension in the rear is a little stiffer than my 03 F-450.

Get my dump deck on the truck and start getting some general contracting work.

I should have bought a automatic truck from the start. A California truck is nice no rust the spring hangers and frame etc looks like it did from the factory.

tmf lawn care
01-22-2010, 09:51 PM
nice gr good luck with it. put some pics up :usflag: got to love cals. wather

Blue Goose
01-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Congratulations, GR!!!

mrusk
01-22-2010, 10:00 PM
If he couldn't sell it for 29k the market value was clearly not 29k.

Gravel Rat
01-22-2010, 10:09 PM
I gave up on trying to find a 4 wheeldrive just non existant in B.C.

I should beable to pull a trailer now it wasn't even possible with my 03 F-450.

Leave the truck on a place that is easy for the truck. Why run the risk of wrecking the truck trying to get out of these places.

The only problem with California trucks is they don't beleive in tires with lugs on them. This truck needs drive tires the ones on the truck are BALD.

Gravel Rat
01-22-2010, 10:11 PM
If he couldn't sell it for 29k the market value was clearly not 29k.

The market for trucks right now is really low wait till the end of february and the start of march people start buying. That is when the landscapers start spending money on equipment getting ready for spring.

esnipe8
01-22-2010, 10:14 PM
I hope your 6.0 works out better than ours. I just had to spend $1,900 on two batteries, two sets of cables, a new module (dont remember the exact name) and a new turbo. The turbo was covered under warranty with a $100 deductible.
It has a lot of power. I think more than my 6.4, and waaaay more than my 7.3. But out of the three the 7.3 has had ZERO problems. Seriously no problems, not even the tranny!

Good Luck!

Gravel Rat
01-22-2010, 10:34 PM
I figure no engine is flawless and it is all about maintenance and how you drive the truck. If its broke I will fix it.

I guess it comes from driving gravel trucks but I never have my foot into it I'am always working the engine so your rarely reving past 2000. Use momentum to keep the truck going.

Even the dealer I bought the truck from he said he owned a 7.3 PSD then started driving a 6.0 he said there is no going back to the 7.3 . Many people have said that I'am the same.

Time to start advertising to get people thinking about spring time landscaping and yard clean up. Try get people convinced its easier to haul brush to the landfill than burning it.

Shadetree Ltd
01-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Congrats,

You bought another 2wd, 450 6.0 And now you have two. Better hurry now that there is two 450 flatdecks working your hood there REALLY will be no work left for you.

Junior M
01-22-2010, 11:19 PM
you make it seem like the 7.3 and 6.0 are two completely different animals..

I've driven both, in different chassis's, loaded, unloaded. sure I've noticed small differences, thats normal. But you make it seem like one is an old 6.2 nonturbo Chevy and the other is a 6.7 Cummins..

stuvecorp
01-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Congrats GR.

Since GR isn't sharing pictures, I'll share...

Junior M
01-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Congrats GR.

a bed and a set of simulators are in order I presume?

Gravel Rat
01-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Will have to see what happens. The truck is only part of the stuff I do. Definatly no money in lawn mowing you would go broke PDQ been there done that.

When the building boom was happening I was hauling 10s of thousands of dollars worth of cedar lumber. Always had demo debris to haul.

Gravel Rat
01-22-2010, 11:46 PM

Wheel sims are out for awhile they are expensive and I'am swapping my dump deck to the 06 and taking the deck off the 06 and put it on the 03.

Gravel Rat
01-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Congrats GR.

If its not raining I will get a picture.

stuvecorp
01-22-2010, 11:54 PM

Bed yes, simulators no. I hate those, way too cheezy. If I ever have money to burn I'd go for some aluminum wheels.

Gravel Rat
01-23-2010, 12:06 AM
If you want aluminum wheels go to a dealer in the dark take a jack and a lug wrench to a F-450 pick up :laugh:

Junior M
01-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Bed yes, simulators no. I hate those, way too cheezy. If I ever have money to burn I'd go for some aluminum wheels.
I'll deal with them.. aluminum wheels aint cheap!

And GR, thanks for the answer, but I was talkin to Stuve..

Stuve, when is a GN in order?

stuvecorp
01-23-2010, 12:21 AM
I'll deal with them.. aluminum wheels aint cheap!

And GR, thanks for the answer, but I was talkin to Stuve..

Stuve, when is a GN in order?

I've gotta sell something before I spend more of the banks money...

I found a Towmaster 14,000 pound tilt I like, don't think a GN is in the future.

stuvecorp
01-23-2010, 01:35 AM
I will say I have to get some nerf bar/running boards as the truck sits up. Maybe I'm just getting old.:dizzy:

Gravel Rat
01-23-2010, 01:39 AM
I have to order a set of nerf bars the 2wd trucks are the same height as the 4x4s. It is a good step up into the cab.

stuvecorp
01-23-2010, 01:46 AM
I have to order a set of nerf bars the 2wd trucks are the same height as the 4x4s. It is a good step up into the cab.

Acording to Ron a tall truck is good. wink,wink:laugh:

bobcat_ron
01-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Acording to Ron a tall truck is good. wink,wink:laugh:

Damn rights, I pulled up to a light, and a fat chick tried to so hard just to jump into my truck, damn fatty nearly made it, so I stepped on the gas and dragged the b*tch by her fat cankles stuffed in 5" heels.

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-23-2010, 11:11 AM
sounds like Ron was in the wrong part of town looking for the right company...

tnmtn
01-23-2010, 12:56 PM
congrats and hope the truck works out for you. could you elaborate on what your plans are for a skid steer or mini ex are. you have explained to us before how there is no work for them and all the guys that have them are not getting work. i am curious what you have up your sleeve to not end up in the same boat.
good luck,

mudmaker
01-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Congrats GR.

Looks like a nice truck there!

Gravel Rat
01-23-2010, 02:22 PM
I have one soil supplier that is looking for somebody to deliver soil its not the best stuff but it works for lawns. He started last year sold about 20 grand worth of soil.

By the time I got my dump deck operational last year I was a little too late in the game.

See if I can do some hauling for one of my landscaper friends his truck is a little worn out :laugh:

No there isn't much work for skid steers in this area as I said many guys have tried but ended up loosing money. The rental place may rent theirs once every couple months it may sit for 3-4 months.

It does say something when you see guys start up with a skid steer business in business for 6 months and they are out of business a short time later ask the person where is the skid steer it was sold at a loss.

People won't pay 500 dollars to spread topsoil when they can get a kid to do it for 100 dollars. Like I have said many times topsoil has to be moved in 5 gallon buckets. Very time consuming but a machine isn't going to climb stairs or get down a path that you can't even use a wheelbarrow on.

Landscaping is a tough back breaking job when your working in this area no way a machine can get near the places you are working.

I may look into a mini skid still not sure if its going to work in this area nobody has one. For me to rent one I would have to get one from Vancouver then I'am looking more money than the job is worth. Rental and shipping I would be looking at 600 or more for one day.

For my own use I may find a cheap skid steer or a mini excavator. A mini excavator there is more work for. To rent a 6500lb mini is 400 dollars a day for a 8 hour day. The guys out there with mini excavators are starving to death they have a 10,000-11,000lb machines will work 8 hours for 400 dollars.

Junior M
01-23-2010, 02:31 PM
GR, you are contradicting everything you've ever posted..

but atleast you've finally grown a set and decided to go after some work..

And from what your saying, it doesnt make sense to buy a machine but hey, its your money..

tnmtn
01-23-2010, 02:49 PM
it would be worth your while to rent a mini and see what they will do. it would not be money wasted more like research. it would definitly be better than 5 gal. buckets. i and others on here i am sure have had their mini skids in some crazy places. at least it would differentiate you from the others that are struggling. and cost less to get in the game.
good luck,

Gravel Rat
01-23-2010, 03:03 PM
I would like to have a machine for my own use it could be a well worn out machine.

The mini excavator market is flooded with guys with mini excavators all trying to get into the excavation business. Still wondering how any of these guys are making payments when their machines are sitting. A homeowner has so many choices now it is who will work for fuel and expenses to get the work.

I'am not in the excavation business I'am classed as a general contractor doing brush removal, trucking, demo clean up etc. The machine would be to make lifting and moving things easier.

Like I have said the mini market used to be a niche market that is long gone now. Mini excavators are too easy to buy with that being so all these people with them thought they were going to strike it rich.

As said the homeowner has many choices now they can pick and choose who will work for peanuts.

Junior M
01-23-2010, 03:08 PM
I would like to have a machine for my own use it could be a well worn out machine.

The mini excavator market is flooded with guys with mini excavators all trying to get into the excavation business. Still wondering how any of these guys are making payments when their machines are sitting. A homeowner has so many choices now it is who will work for fuel and expenses to get the work.

I'am not in the excavation business I'am classed as a general contractor doing brush removal, trucking, demo clean up etc. The machine would be to make lifting and moving things easier.

Like I have said the mini market used to be a niche market that is long gone now. Mini excavators are too easy to buy with that being so all these people with them thought they were going to strike it rich.

As said the homeowner has many choices now they can pick and choose who will work for peanuts.
well if there is work out there to be done with a mini ex, there has to be work for a walkbehind skid like a Dingo..

Gravel Rat
01-23-2010, 03:15 PM
it would be worth your while to rent a mini and see what they will do. it would not be money wasted more like research. it would definitly be better than 5 gal. buckets. i and others on here i am sure have had their mini skids in some crazy places. at least it would differentiate you from the others that are struggling. and cost less to get in the game.
good luck,

The reason why you have to move it in 5 gallon buckets is the stairs are the only access around the house. I have had demo cleanup jobs that I have said no too because there was 3-4 tons worth of debris to carry up sets of stairs. These are wood stairs and they are 8-10 feet off the ground on stilts (4x4 posts) and the landings are sitting on stilts.

The brush clearing jobs some places you should have a rope around your waist so if you do slip and fall your not going to keep rolling down the bank.

Any of the tough building lots you must do every bit of hardscaping before the house is built. So if you want a flat piece of land infront of you house you need to bench the property using boulders and 300-400 tons worth of dirt. Once the house is built and finished you have no access to the front yard with any kind of machine unless you crane the machine over the house.

Some building lots are a acre in size but the only useable part is the foot print the house sits on. Landscaping is left natural if you want grass you will need to haul in topsoil.

I got out of the landscaping because it can be very labour intensive alot of work for little money.

Gravel Rat
01-23-2010, 03:20 PM
well if there is work out there to be done with a mini ex, there has to be work for a walkbehind skid like a Dingo..

A mini excavator can go where a dingo can't. A mini can crawl over ground using the bucket to lift itself and crawl into these places and dig what needs to be and crawl back out.

Lets put it this way you are using your feet on the travel pedals and hands on the controls going into these places with a mini. No way your hands will be on the travel sticks.

You really have to know your limits with the mini you are working on so you know how far you can go before rolling over :laugh:

Junior M
01-23-2010, 03:23 PM
A mini excavator can go where a dingo can't. A mini can crawl over ground using the bucket to lift itself and crawl into these places and dig what needs to be and crawl back out.

Lets put it this way you are using your feet on the travel pedals and hands on the controls going into these places with a mini. No way your hands will be on the travel sticks.

You really have to know your limits with the mini you are working on so you know how far you can go before rolling over :laugh:
I am done talking to you...

Its freakin useless..

AWJ Services
01-23-2010, 04:03 PM
I am done talking to you...

Its freakin useless..

LOL. I am suprised it took you this long.

Danny Boy
01-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Nice truck:)
You gotta start a pics thread now to show us your endeavours work out:drinkup:
Good luck with it all and remember us when you hit the big time:clapping:

Gravel Rat
01-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Junior you don't even have a clue on what pushing a excavator is about. Maybe when you know when the seat belt is the only thing holding you in the operators seat your pushing the machine to the limit.

I would love to have some sissy azz jobs what you and your dad have had.

Come for work a landscaper here for a day and you would quit. To mow peoples lawns it takes two people to carry a push lawn mower down flights of stairs down to the grass. By the time you pack the equipment back up the stairs your dead.

As a constuction labour Junior you would maybe last 2 minutes and quit you couldn't take the real work. Pack 10 tons worth of lumber down a ankle snapping trail to the house site pushes your body to the limit.

When I was a construction labourer your digging holes by hand and digging trenches by hand because its not possible for a machine to do the job.

I would love to seen you try do the job that one of the building contractors has they had to move 100 tons worth of overburden off of a building site all by hand not possible with a excavator.

So I guess you should stick with your easy jobs Junior I know you couldn't do the brush clearing jobs I have done. Brush clearing is done by hand with chainsaws. There are places that I have had to do brush clearing a Spyder hoe couldn't even be on. On slip and fall you snap your neck you end up a crippilized.

All I can do right now is get my dump deck swapped on the truck I bought and advertise some more and see what happens. If there seems to be a demand for a skid steer I may consider it.

Junior M
01-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Junior you don't even have a clue on what pushing a excavator is about. Maybe when you know when the seat belt is the only thing holding you in the operators seat your pushing the machine to the limit.

I would love to have some sissy azz jobs what you and your dad have had.

Come for work a landscaper here for a day and you would quit. To mow peoples lawns it takes two people to carry a push lawn mower down flights of stairs down to the grass. By the time you pack the equipment back up the stairs your dead.

As a constuction labour Junior you would maybe last 2 minutes and quit you couldn't take the real work. Pack 10 tons worth of lumber down a ankle snapping trail to the house site pushes your body to the limit.

When I was a construction labourer your digging holes by hand and digging trenches by hand because its not possible for a machine to do the job.

I would love to seen you try do the job that one of the building contractors has they had to move 100 tons worth of overburden off of a building site all by hand not possible with a excavator.

So I guess you should stick with your easy jobs Junior I know you couldn't do the brush clearing jobs I have done. Brush clearing is done by hand with chainsaws. There are places that I have had to do brush clearing a Spyder hoe couldn't even be on. On slip and fall you snap your neck you end up a crippilized.

All I can do right now is get my dump deck swapped on the truck I bought and advertise some more and see what happens. If there seems to be a demand for a skid steer I may consider it.
And thats why I am what you call a pussified flatlander.. :) :laugh:

Gravel Rat
01-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Just the way things are when you live in the Coastal mountain range your dealing with places that is too tough for a machine to be on.

Like I have said the new regulations for sewage systems have opened up areas that you couldn't use before. Now your into areas where its tough places to build on. The days are long long gone where you could use a wheel barrow to move concrete to fill the foundation forms. You need a pumper boom truck with a 50 foot long boom. It is at the point now these places you need a helicopter with a concrete bucket.

After these places are built a landscaper has to try design a landscape for the place.

One place I looked at has a frigging bridge from the front door to the driveway. The house is sitting on a bench cut out of the hillside.

When you supply a clean up service like I do the closest you can get to a house maybe 100-200 feet. It is a real b*tch to pack the stuff by hand but there is no choice. Pack some of this stuff up 40 foot long flight of stairs. I would beable to skid the stuff up the bank the house is built on.

One of those Got Junk or those franchise type Junk Removal businesses would go broke trying to work in a area like I do. This isn't no city where you can pick up the garbage off the curb.

I may invest in one of those chainsaw winches so I can drag demo debris or brush to my truck. It would save alot of time walking. Brush especially if I can get 500lbs of branches in one shot or chunks of trees up near my truck it saves dragging by hand.

7.3 Rocket
01-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Let me get this straight: You went from an 03 F450 2x4 to an 06 F450 2x4 and are b*tching about the economy? You upgraded to a 3 year newer truck with the problematic 6.0 in it? I don't know if you were dumb enough to buy a first year 6.0 so that's why I'm not differentiating 7.3 - 6.0 here. A 2003 could have been either one but as far as I'm concerned the 6.0 single-handedly ruined the Powerstroke name.

The 7.3 with very few modification will run CIRCLES around a 6.0 and do it 10x more reliably.

My 99.5 7.3 Powerstroke with just an intake, exhaust, DP Tuner, and John Wood valve body will out-run, out-work, and out-perform your 6.0 every day of the week and do it more reliably. And I'll have less invested into my truck too!

And my 7.3 won't ever have an issue with a catalytic converter or EGR. Why? I have neither.

Also isn't Ron from BC as well? Isn't he profitably running an almost new Takkie at this point? Quit your b*tching and man up I know I, for one, am tired of your crap.

AND: Maybe instead of buying a new truck and a machine you could sell the truck and take the $ you would have spent then go buy cheap Jetta TDI and put a nice big down-payment on an apartment so you can move out of the basement. That is all.

Bustedblade
01-24-2010, 04:18 PM
I drove one of the 6.7 test rats last Thursday...wow!!! That thing will pull a train!
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat_ron
01-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Let me get this straight: You went from an 03 F450 2x4 to an 06 F450 2x4 and are b*tching about the economy? You upgraded to a 3 year newer truck with the problematic 6.0 in it? I don't know if you were dumb enough to buy a first year 6.0 so that's why I'm not differentiating 7.3 - 6.0 here. A 2003 could have been either one but as far as I'm concerned the 6.0 single-handedly ruined the Powerstroke name.

The 7.3 with very few modification will run CIRCLES around a 6.0 and do it 10x more reliably.

My 99.5 7.3 Powerstroke with just an intake, exhaust, DP Tuner, and John Wood valve body will out-run, out-work, and out-perform your 6.0 every day of the week and do it more reliably. And I'll have less invested into my truck too!

And my 7.3 won't ever have an issue with a catalytic converter or EGR. Why? I have neither.

Also isn't Ron from BC as well? Isn't he profitably running an almost new Takkie at this point? Quit your b*tching and man up I know I, for one, am tired of your crap.

AND: Maybe instead of buying a new truck and a machine you could sell the truck and take the $ you would have spent then go buy cheap Jetta TDI and put a nice big down-payment on an apartment so you can move out of the basement. That is all.

Who says my Takeuchi is profitable, it only worked 16 hours since I picked it up in December 2009. Tax write off's aren't supposed to be profitable. :laugh:

My 2005 F450 6 point-oh-no has been extremely good, no issues, and I run the sh*t out of it, just take care of it, warm it up, go easy on the throttle when it's still cool, pull hard once in a while to burn the soot out of it and let it cool down before shutting it off.

NEUSWEDE
01-24-2010, 04:20 PM
great thread looking forward to GR's future bitching about 2 wheel peel and about not having work and the shitty 6.0

some never learn

Bustedblade
01-24-2010, 04:23 PM
I drove one of the 6.7 test rats last Thursday...wow!!! That thing will pull a train!
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat_ron
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Pull the emissions crap off and put a 6" pipe on it, and it will smoke like one too! :laugh:

Gravel Rat
01-24-2010, 07:13 PM

I prefer the 6.0 I have had a 7.3 for one it is friggin noisy I'am tired of listening to a loud engine. Second I leave for work at 5am for work I need to let the truck warm up. I drove the neighbours nuts when I had the 7.3 I was asked not to start my truck at 5am.

If I have problems with the 6.0 I will fix them the truck still has warranty for another year. Why would I want to buy a worn out truck with a 7.3 your constantly fixing problems with the truck.

It is night and day difference with the auto behind the 6.0.

The 06 has 4:88 gears its not so bad but it is a open diff so I will have to buy a Truetrac for it. It has to come from Ford :cry: but it makes a difference in traction. The S110 Axle is easy to work on take the third member out put it on the bench take out the open carrier swap the ring gear onto the True trac and put it back into the third member.

I have to get my truck decks swapped first and get the 03 up forsale.

Lets hope that these people that have been building their 2 million dollar houses need landscape supplies this spring. Many of new places built that are not under a million dollars. You know when people have money when they build a summer house for a couple million and use it for 2 months out of the year :laugh:

As for myself buying a house in the area not a chance this is the play ground for the rich now. A person my age doesn't have a chance anymore there isn't even places to rent anymore everything is privately owned. No such thing as apartment buildings. There are timeshare condos that you buy for 1 million dollars and get access to for 3 weeks a year.

My brother is taking a 100,000 dollar loss on his house the employeer he works for doesn't have any work so my brother has to sell his house before the bank takes it.

Many of the young guys in the forestry industry are going to loose what they own. Any of the younger guys in the construction and excavation industries spend 60% of what they make to live in the area. If your a landscaper you need to make atleast 23 dollars per hour to live here.

As the area fills up with the rich retired people they are driving the working class people out. The property values are so high if your not making a 100 grand a year better find a good tent to live in. There are schools shutting down because young people can't live in this area anymore and raise a familly.

The local gov'ts goal is to have the whole population in the area to be 55 and older. They have the money to pay the big taxes and build 2 million dollar houses. The retired people don't want no noise or industry so the local gov'ts doesn't approve business licenses for businesses that will create noise.

These people are b*tching about the neighbour building a house these people figure once their house is built nobody can make noise. The NIMBYS are always complaining.

No body knows what is going to happen after February the provincial gov't has spent close to a Trillion dollars on this Winter Olympics. There is lots of sh*t that the public doesn't know about. Contractors that are working on Olympic stuff have to sign a waiver that says they can't say anything about costs. There is millions of dollars being spent that hasn't been said in the media.

The only way you can make money now is grow pot and keep trying to export it to the USA. If you can get away with it your easy making 150,000 or more a year. One small crop can make you 50 grand. The drug trade in this province makes enough money it could buy a small chunk of the USA the money from the drug trade is in the trillions. If the Americans still have the huge demand for pot there will always be money.

Swampy
01-24-2010, 07:21 PM
You GR the excavation business isn't completly dead, you could always dig graves. Actually serious the dead body business is never slow.

Gravel Rat
01-24-2010, 07:30 PM
great thread looking forward to GR's future bitching about 2 wheel peel and about not having work and the shitty 6.0

some never learn

I'am putting a winch on this truck when I get time. A winch will pull me out of the areas that are tougher.

You know when a construction site is bad when your using a Volvo Articulated 6x6 to get material down into the site.

The concrete redimix trucks are tridrive they have 3 drive axles with all three axles locked and the truck grossing 73,000lbs they need to be pulled with a excavator. Many places to be safe you hook a cable to the front tow hooks on a tandem axle gravel truck and lower the truck down the road. You don't dare lift the box just let the tailgate dogs go and let the gravel slide out.

Your fuel tanks have to be full or you can stall from starving the engine of fuel.

One of the contractors took his wheel skid down a place it litterally slid down like a sled moved all the material around the house then had to have a tow truck to pull the machine back up the hill.

Gravel Rat
01-24-2010, 07:32 PM
You GR the excavation business isn't completly dead, you could always dig graves. Actually serious the dead body business is never slow.

People are cremated now a grave spot in this area is 30 grand that is on the low range. Not many people are buried in a casket anymore.

curtisfarmer
01-24-2010, 07:33 PM
My neighbors (brother so I don't care:laugh::laugh::laugh:), complain my 6.4 howls when it is warming at an idle. Never had 7.3, but 6.4 is load when warming in winter.

BTW, I had ARP in my 450 6.4 dump, talk about BUMPY on frost heave roads! He says his truck is no weher near as bumpy. My wife is pregnant and won't ride with my empty, says it causes contractions!!! I need about 2tons in the back to make it smooth and bearable.

Gravel Rat
01-24-2010, 07:43 PM
The 6.4 is wisper quiet to a 6.0 the only thing the 6.4 has a funny exhaust smell.

curtisfarmer
01-24-2010, 07:50 PM
when warm yes....but when cold and idling at 12-1400rpms with fan going....it has a howl to it. The 6.4 is strange with fan coming on ALL the time, obviosly something to do with emissions and keeping the motor cool. And yes, the diesel STINKS coming out the other end. We have old house so the smell creeps in when I park close to the house and drives my wife CRAZY.

NEUSWEDE
01-24-2010, 07:57 PM
when warm yes....but when cold and idling at 12-1400rpms with fan going....it has a howl to it. The 6.4 is strange with fan coming on ALL the time, obviosly something to do with emissions and keeping the motor cool. And yes, the diesel STINKS coming out the other end. We have old house so the smell creeps in when I park close to the house and drives my wife CRAZY.

haha its not the fan :hammerhead: it goes into regeneration that is the exhaust it is wide open cleaning the exhaust filter that is why it is so loud, that is not the clutch fan.

Next time it does it look at the information bar it will say cleaning exhaust filter. I just bought another 6.4 . I have my 2008 F-550 and now I have a 2010 F-350. Needed a new truck and didn't want to be the test dummy for the 2011.

Gravel Rat
01-24-2010, 08:00 PM
The 6.0 is the last of the engines you can work on. Sure it may need head studs and eliminate the emmissions but its still mechanic friendly.

The new 6.7 will be a little scary.

In todays market its not even worth buying a new diesel truck they get poor fuel economy and cost 2 arms and a leg to fix.

NEUSWEDE
01-24-2010, 08:07 PM
The 6.0 is the last of the engines you can work on. Sure it may need head studs and eliminate the emmissions but its still mechanic friendly.

The new 6.7 will be a little scary.

In todays market its not even worth buying a new diesel truck they get poor fuel economy and cost 2 arms and a leg to fix.

The whole urea thing on the 6.7 is something I don't want to deal with. I buy new trucks after one being in service for 5 years for tax purposes and with having the the warrenty and not knowing if it had been abused or not is another reason. I hate taking other peoples problems.

curtisfarmer
01-24-2010, 08:14 PM
NEUSWEDE, it is the fan, I clearly see the regenerative feature and it sure is louder when driving to clean the muffler filter. I am talking when it is parked after starting and idling to warm up. DEFINETLY the fan,....when real cold it builds from an idle to a slow howl until warm.

NEUSWEDE
01-24-2010, 08:15 PM
NEUSWEDE, it is the fan, I clearly see the regenerative feature and it sure is louder when driving to clean the muffler filter. I am talking when it is parked after starting and idling to warm up. DEFINETLY the fan,....when real cold it builds from an idle to a slow howl until warm.

wow mine doesn't do that

Gravel Rat
01-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Excavation contractors do lease trucks for 4 years and it is for a tax write off but your looking at 1000-1200 a month truck payment. A XLT F-350 4x4 diesel is close to 70 grand with tax. The new 6.7 truck I wouldn't be surprised to see them at 80 grand with tax.

NEUSWEDE
01-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Excavation contractors do lease trucks for 4 years and it is for a tax write off but your looking at 1000-1200 a month truck payment. A XLT F-350 4x4 diesel is close to 70 grand with tax. The new 6.7 truck I wouldn't be surprised to see them at 80 grand with tax.

My 2010 F-350 XLT reg cab was 31K with the 6.4

Gravel Rat
01-24-2010, 09:00 PM
A bare bones XL F-350 reg cab diesel your looking at 50 grand.

You can barely buy a used truck for 31,000.

NEUSWEDE
01-24-2010, 09:08 PM

damn glad I live in :usflag: and have a friend whose father works at the dealership

Junior M
01-24-2010, 10:03 PM
I prefer the 6.0 I have had a 7.3 for one it is friggin noisy I'am tired of listening to a loud engine. Second I leave for work at 5am for work I need to let the truck warm up. I drove the neighbours nuts when I had the 7.3 I was asked not to start my truck at 5am.

If I have problems with the 6.0 I will fix them the truck still has warranty for another year. Why would I want to buy a worn out truck with a 7.3 your constantly fixing problems with the truck.

It is night and day difference with the auto behind the 6.0.

The 06 has 4:88 gears its not so bad but it is a open diff so I will have to buy a Truetrac for it. It has to come from Ford :cry: but it makes a difference in traction. The S110 Axle is easy to work on take the third member out put it on the bench take out the open carrier swap the ring gear onto the True trac and put it back into the third member.

I have to get my truck decks swapped first and get the 03 up forsale.

Lets hope that these people that have been building their 2 million dollar houses need landscape supplies this spring. Many of new places built that are not under a million dollars. You know when people have money when they build a summer house for a couple million and use it for 2 months out of the year :laugh:

As for myself buying a house in the area not a chance this is the play ground for the rich now. A person my age doesn't have a chance anymore there isn't even places to rent anymore everything is privately owned. No such thing as apartment buildings. There are timeshare condos that you buy for 1 million dollars and get access to for 3 weeks a year.

My brother is taking a 100,000 dollar loss on his house the employeer he works for doesn't have any work so my brother has to sell his house before the bank takes it.

Many of the young guys in the forestry industry are going to loose what they own. Any of the younger guys in the construction and excavation industries spend 60% of what they make to live in the area. If your a landscaper you need to make atleast 23 dollars per hour to live here.

As the area fills up with the rich retired people they are driving the working class people out. The property values are so high if your not making a 100 grand a year better find a good tent to live in. There are schools shutting down because young people can't live in this area anymore and raise a familly.

The local gov'ts goal is to have the whole population in the area to be 55 and older. They have the money to pay the big taxes and build 2 million dollar houses. The retired people don't want no noise or industry so the local gov'ts doesn't approve business licenses for businesses that will create noise.

These people are b*tching about the neighbour building a house these people figure once their house is built nobody can make noise. The NIMBYS are always complaining.

No body knows what is going to happen after February the provincial gov't has spent close to a Trillion dollars on this Winter Olympics. There is lots of sh*t that the public doesn't know about. Contractors that are working on Olympic stuff have to sign a waiver that says they can't say anything about costs. There is millions of dollars being spent that hasn't been said in the media.

The only way you can make money now is grow pot and keep trying to export it to the USA. If you can get away with it your easy making 150,000 or more a year. One small crop can make you 50 grand. The drug trade in this province makes enough money it could buy a small chunk of the USA the money from the drug trade is in the trillions. If the Americans still have the huge demand for pot there will always be money.

Only GR could go from comparing how loud 2 diesels are to the olympics to the drug trade in the US.. :dizzy: :confused:

Oh yeah, I must be deaf because the 6.0 F350 where I used to work was louder than the 7.3 F550..

curtisfarmer
01-24-2010, 10:04 PM
GR, I posted my dealers link before....you can get a 350 6.4 for $31-32K.

esnipe8
01-24-2010, 10:15 PM
I am sure this has been said before (probably a million times)....
If where you live is so horrible, there is no work, everything is expensive, why dont you move.
I know you have a cushy government office job, but seriously either quit complaining about it, or move! Nobody forces you to live there, or work there....so move!

stuvecorp
01-24-2010, 10:23 PM

If that is the case, I'll send my 550 up there for 40,000.:)

Gravel Rat
01-25-2010, 12:07 AM
I am sure this has been said before (probably a million times)....
If where you live is so horrible, there is no work, everything is expensive, why dont you move.
I know you have a cushy government office job, but seriously either quit complaining about it, or move! Nobody forces you to live there, or work there....so move!

Where I live is cheaper than living in Vancouver or other places in the Lower Corner of B.C.

You can live in Vancouver and the houses are over half million for a run down dump. Or you rent a roach infested basement suite for 1300 a month.

It is cheaper to buy a house in the USA than it is to buy one in B.C.

Banks in Canada are not like in the USA you can't get a mortage for a house unless you make 80-100 grand a year.

The work in Vancouver is done I think you are going to see massive un-employment now. The only thing keeping Vancouver going is the gov't spending trillions of tax money for the sh*tty olympics.

Like they say the grass isn't always greener on the otherside I do have a full time job not many people can say that. Just pizzes a guy off that these people with money drive the working class people out the people that made this area what it is.

mudmaker
01-25-2010, 12:15 AM
So did you post a pic of your new truck?? Maybe I missed it somewhere.

Gravel Rat
01-25-2010, 12:43 AM
No not yet I have to get a camera first I don't own one have to borrow one.

Had to change a tire today what a SOB. I haven't dismounted and remounted a tire in a long time. I mean using bars to take the old tire off the rim and mount a another tire on the rim. I have spare 19.5 tires kicking around that have 10% tread left kept them for retreading. The drive tires on this truck are shot and one went flat.

I will have to order a new set of drive tires I can't take them off my 03 F-450 which has near new drive tires but I have nothing to replace them with.

If I want to sell my 03 I should keep good tires on it so it helps the sale of the truck.

The 06 has good steer tires but they are cheap overseas tires I will swap them for the XZE Michelins that I have on the steer axle of the 03 they are only 2 months old.

stuvecorp
01-25-2010, 01:14 AM
You have to get tires? Should have beat on them to do it.

I noticed coming home at 70 I was turning 2600 rpm's, gonna have to check on different gears.

Scag48
01-25-2010, 01:25 AM
You have to get tires?

Stay tuned for another 10 page thread.

Gravel Rat
01-25-2010, 01:54 AM
I found a brand of tire that works good for what I do. Just do I want to spend the 1500 dollars on tires right now. I have a set of bandag retreads that have 40% tread left I took them off the 03 because they had a thump to them.

I need to find out what Ford is going to sell a Detroit true trac I need one. I guess this truck was spec'ed with a high tow capacity and it comes with a open diff. A open diff is a one wheel peal the True Trac works great it works good in my 2003. I think I will keep the 4:88s when I'am doing 80 Km/h which is the speed limit the engine is reving 2000 rpm. The lower axle gears will help with crawling up the access roads.

I didn't even know this truck had 4:88 till I found the axle code. There isn't much difference compared to the 4:30 axle ratio in the 03.

The true trac does cause locker steer ie it wants to go straight if it was possible you could leave 4 black lines on the road. The true trac is a very tight Positraction. The only difference between it and a Detroit locker is you don't get the the clicking and tire chirp.

alco
01-25-2010, 02:41 AM
It is cheaper to buy a house in the USA than it is to buy one in B.C.

Banks in Canada are not like in the USA you can't get a mortage for a house unless you make 80-100 grand a year.

The more I listen to what you have to say, the more I realise you're screwed in the head. I can show you places in BC where you can buy a house with a freaking credit card. I have lots of friends who don't make the money you say you have to make to buy a house in Canada, and strangely, all of them own their own houses....and have full time jobs like you claim most people don't.

The only thing keeping Vancouver going is the gov't spending trillions of tax money for the sh*tty olympics.

The goverment spending trillions? Good luck, you can't honestly believe that. Yes, they say they are spending between 6 and 7 billion according to the numbers published, but you honestly believe they are spending up to 285 times that amount. Wow, no wonder you live with mom and dad, you have no concept of money at all.

So what do you do for the government anyhow? Work in a toll booth and collect quarters? Handicapped people can do that....right?

alco
01-25-2010, 02:47 AM

I'll go to our local dealer tomorrow and find a price on one, guaranteed it's less than you claim. And I'm in Canada, so it has to be the same everywhere...or so you seem to think.

I'd just like to point out to all of our friends south of the 49th parallel, you can't judge us all by this reject. That would be like judging all Americans by the woman in the trailer park after the tornado, with the curlers in her hair, describing how horrible it was to the tv reporter.

Gravel Rat
01-25-2010, 04:52 AM
The more I listen to what you have to say, the more I realise you're screwed in the head. I can show you places in BC where you can buy a house with a freaking credit card. I have lots of friends who don't make the money you say you have to make to buy a house in Canada, and strangely, all of them own their own houses....and have full time jobs like you claim most people don't.

The goverment spending trillions? Good luck, you can't honestly believe that. Yes, they say they are spending between 6 and 7 billion according to the numbers published, but you honestly believe they are spending up to 285 times that amount. Wow, no wonder you live with mom and dad, you have no concept of money at all.

So what do you do for the government anyhow? Work in a toll booth and collect quarters? Handicapped people can do that....right?

You can buy a house in the Interior cheap but there is no work there.

Come out to the Coast and you will see what house prices are about. H*ll its gotten too expensive for Albertans. Out here the house sales to Albertan's has pretty much ended most can't afford the 1 million dollar price tag.

As for the Olympics I never supported it. The whole thing is a big waste of money in my mind. Like I said there is lots of stuff the gov't isn't saying what has been spent. Nobody knows till this stupid 3 week event is over with.

I'am not screwed in the head the only reason why I live in the parents basement is there is very little places to rent. Lets see pay half of my monthly wage for rent and live paycheck to paycheck or live in my parents basement. When the building boom was on people were renting 16 foot travel trailers in their back yard for 400 a month.

I can't say what I do for the gov't but lets put it this way any mistake I make can put quite afew peoples lives in danger. Part of the job stress so I can't make any mistakes or misjudgements.

Like I said I have a gauranteed job not my favorite job but its a steady paycheck.

One thing about it Alco your definatly drinking the Alberta water it is effecting your braincells :laugh:

In the summer time you can make bets on Albertan tourists and the questions they ask and the things they do. Everybody asks them is there something in your water in Alberta.

All I can hope for is the landscaping work to pick up again and start making some cash money. The truck I bought should suit my needs better than the 03 F-450 I have. The 06 does have a noticably stiffer rear suspension the turning radius is nice to have. Like I said having a truck from California there is no rust. The brake calipers still have the factory paint.

I took the rear wheels off the drivers side usually they are welded to hub with rust not these ones. The outer tire come right off the inner tire came off with a little wiggling.

Gravel Rat
01-25-2010, 05:03 AM
I'll go to our local dealer tomorrow and find a price on one, guaranteed it's less than you claim. And I'm in Canada, so it has to be the same everywhere...or so you seem to think.

I'd just like to point out to all of our friends south of the 49th parallel, you can't judge us all by this reject. That would be like judging all Americans by the woman in the trailer park after the tornado, with the curlers in her hair, describing how horrible it was to the tv reporter.

Ohwell Alco like I said in the other post your drinking the water in Alberta its making you stupid.

Alberta is flooded with vehicals out here in B.C. a good used truck is going to cost you 30 grand.

I won't resort to name calling I guess Alco has to make himself feel better.

You do know arguing on the internet doesn't make you any smarter.

Everybody has their judgements about people that live in B.C. or Alberta or in the USA.

tnmtn
01-25-2010, 08:43 AM
GR,
first there is about twenty threads about how the B.C. economy is going to collapse after the olimpics and how no one is building new houses. then you trade for a truck that functionally is capable of less than the truck you owned.
secondly, it is to steep for any kind of skid steer use on any projects that aren't being built because all skid steer operators are hurting right now. so you wat an old skid steer.
third, it's too steep for excavator to work and as i seem to remember you had choice words for the smaller excavators others on here have purchased. i think something about how they could be good for the easy jobs in the states but up where you live and men are men they would have no use. but now you mention getting a small mini.
you are very quick to jump on others and explain how hard everything is and how it is all done by maual labor that sounds like it is worse than building a pyramid, but from the picture you posted of yourself, i'm not remembering a guy that looks like the picture of health neccasary to be capable of doing the work you mention.
it seems you start a thread to find people to agree with your ideas. when they don't and offer suggestions you explain they don'w know what they're doing and it won't work where you live. it is fast starting to appear that you are a excavation wannabe (ie. groupie,poser). i will now agree with many others on here and say you need help mentally. it appears there is a short somewhere. unless of course the b.c. gov't has outlawed mental illness. or come out of the closet and deal with it. not trying to bash just bring out what it sounds like your thought process is. i hope someting changes in your world because you got a new truck.
good luck,
i'm done

Blue Goose
01-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I need to find out what Ford is going to sell a Detroit true trac I need one.

The true trac does cause locker steer ie it wants to go straight if it was possible you could leave 4 black lines on the road. The true trac is a very tight Positraction. The only difference between it and a Detroit locker is you don't get the the clicking and tire chirp

It's a shame you couldn't have found something like this...

F800 STAKEBED TRUCK: MADE BY: FORD MOTOR COMPANY IN 1993. MILEAGE: 30,511 (http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=2973078)

Bids start at 150.00
Mechanically injected, Diesel....

http://www.govliquidation.com/aucimg/photos/20752/20751075.jpg

http://www.govliquidation.com/aucimg/photos/20752/20751079.jpg

alco
01-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Ohwell Alco like I said in the other post your drinking the water in Alberta its making you stupid.

Alberta is flooded with vehicals out here in B.C. a good used truck is going to cost you 30 grand.

I won't resort to name calling I guess Alco has to make himself feel better.

You do know arguing on the internet doesn't make you any smarter.

Everybody has their judgements about people that live in B.C. or Alberta or in the USA.

So in the first line you call me a name, and in the third line, you say you won't resort to name calling.....wow.

I called a friend at a dealer in southern BC this morning. He found a 2006 F550 4X4, diesel, automatic, flat deck with 1800 hours, 186,000 km that belonged to a building supply store near him for 18,500. You're right.....sounds like 30 grand to me.

I thought the Kootenays were part of BC, but obviously they moved since I was home if you can find used trucks for under 30 grand there.

alco
01-25-2010, 02:20 PM
You can buy a house in the Interior cheap but there is no work there.

Come out to the Coast and you will see what house prices are about. H*ll its gotten too expensive for Albertans. Out here the house sales to Albertan's has pretty much ended most can't afford the 1 million dollar price tag.

As for the Olympics I never supported it. The whole thing is a big waste of money in my mind. Like I said there is lots of stuff the gov't isn't saying what has been spent. Nobody knows till this stupid 3 week event is over with.

I'am not screwed in the head the only reason why I live in the parents basement is there is very little places to rent. Lets see pay half of my monthly wage for rent and live paycheck to paycheck or live in my parents basement.

I can't say what I do for the gov't but lets put it this way any mistake I make can put quite afew peoples lives in danger.

You poor deluded little man. It's funny, when I was home last time, I had two job offers, so you're right, there must not be any work in the interior. All of my friends are working, damn that lack of work must be making life hard for them.

I know what high house prices are all about, trust me, the coast isn't the only place with high house prices. You need to learn there is a world out there before you start spouting off. In BC, the lower mainland is a whole different animal compared to the rest of the province. Yet you refuse to...or aren't capable of.....acknowledge that just because things are a certain way near you, they are different elsewhere. In doing that, you keep claiming that in one little corner of BC, the way things are is how they are everywhere. And you say I'm stupid......

Do you know your IQ? I know mine, and it kinda tells the opposite story to what you have to say.

I never said you were screwed in the head because you live with your parents. I said you are screwed in the head because of the dumb stuff you keep saying. How you constantly contradict yourself....do you understand? Or.....do.....I.....have.....to.....speak.....more.....slowly?

You have yourself convinced that there isn't another job anywhere in Canada that would give you stability and benefits. Or is it that you can't move because the BC government has outlawed it? I get so confused the way you jump from story to story....anyway, have fun in your world, while I (like most others on here) continue to live and work in the real world.

I also find it funny how you can't say what you do. I guess you're a spy......all secretive and stuff.

farmboy1285
01-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Congrats GR.

Yep im gonna need a towel to wipe the drool off my key board, man that is a sweet truck.

mxridernorth
01-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Hey GR. If only rich people can afford to live there, then who are the rich people going to get to do their work for them? Here's a plan: keep living in your parent's basement for another year or two. By then all the non-rich people will be gone - because they can't afford to live there anymore. Then you swoop in and provide all the services they used to get, except you'll have the market cornered so you can charge whatever you want! BOOM! Just like that! If you do it right, you could be like the local excavation mafioso.

talus
01-25-2010, 08:21 PM
OK GR I can't fight it anymore.
You were on the right track looking for a 4x4. You gave up to easy.
Don't waste anymore money on tires and a locker. You already went down that road (pun intended) and spun your wheels. Buy a winch.

bobcat_ron
01-25-2010, 08:24 PM
OK GR I can't fight it anymore.
You were on the right track looking for a 4x4. You gave up to easy.
Don't waste anymore money on tires and a locker. You already went down that road (pun intended) and spun your wheels. Buy a winch.

Or buy a BMW. A Big Mexican Woman to act as a traction aid.
I hear they cook real good too. :laugh:

talus
01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Maybe you could plumb a line straight out of her bung hole as a new form of bio fuel aka burrigo.:laugh:

Junior M
01-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Talus, you think devil woman could bitc# a truck up a hill or out of a muddy situation?

:laugh: :laugh:

talus
01-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Oh hell yeah. She's a crazy biatch. She's dying to scratch my 20's. Out of spite. Thats why she's "Devil Woman"

Gravel Rat
01-25-2010, 08:58 PM
I have worked for the people with money just have to get back into it. Like I said some of these people money isn't a issue. They didn't spend much money last year with the stock market turmoil.

Any way you look at it some of these people probably made over a million dollars a year salary. One of them I know owns 3 summer homes in the area probably valued at 6 million dollars maybe more. I do know the one house was a 3 million dollar one.

KPS
01-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Way to buy an almost identical truck as what you already have. The biggest kicker for me is that you pissed and moaned about how you always got stuck even with a locker, and now you buy another 2wd truck WITHOUT a locker. :hammerhead: You are an idiot, plain and simple, Did you eat paint chips as a kid? You type paragraph after paragraph of doom and gloom always ragging on how Canada sucks but refuse to better your situation. You have no money to buy another truck that does not provide your main income, just a few side jobs. Oh but alas the rich people have no money to spend on hiring contractors so how the hell is this truck gonna solve all your problems. One thing I will give you is that you sure are an entertaining individual.

TAF
01-27-2010, 05:17 PM
GR,
Your right, everything sucks, and YOU can't do anything to help yourself.

Help us all and give up...............................

DUSTYCEDAR
01-27-2010, 05:49 PM
post # 90 and still no pic of the truck :canadaflag:

tmf lawn care
01-27-2010, 07:16 PM
here post 91# with no pics of the truck gr :hammerhead:

Shrekish
01-27-2010, 07:33 PM
No pics of new truck? Bank probably would not finance 100 dollar camera

alco
01-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Post number 93 and no picture. But in all fairness, he says he doesn't have a camera. I guess he can't afford one after buying an identical truck to the one he needed to replace because it wouldn't do the job. Oh well.

alco
01-27-2010, 07:35 PM
No pics of new truck? Bank probably would not finance 100 dollar camera

$100 dollar camera? C'mon, it's BC......a new camera probably costs 4, maybe 5 thousand.....lol.

ksss
01-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Post number 93 and no picture. But in all fairness, he says he doesn't have a camera. I guess he can't afford one after buying an identical truck to the one he needed to replace because it wouldn't do the job. Oh well.

May I add? It wouldn't do the jobs that he did not have. The current truck can haul what 2500 more pounds of nothing compared to the old truck, however the old truck had plenty of capacity for nothing cause even a FORD can haul nothing pretty easy as long as you don't put anything more than nothing in it. But just sitting at mom and dads doing nothing will be an easy day for it.

I am sure Ma put GR on a bread and water diet after he came home with a new used pickup. Probably should have gotten a Crew Cab. Sink a mail box next to ma and pa's and call it home.

Defys logic.............at least mine.

Junior M
01-27-2010, 08:05 PM
May I add? It wouldn't do the jobs that he did not have. The current truck can haul what 2500 more pounds of nothing compared to the old truck, however the old truck had plenty of capacity for nothing cause even a FORD can haul nothing pretty easy as long as you don't put anything more than nothing in it. But just sitting at mom and dads doing nothing will be an easy day for it.

I am sure Ma put GR on a bread and water diet after he came home with a new used pickup. Probably should have gotten a Crew Cab. Sink a mail box next to ma and pa's and call it home.

Defys logic.............at least mine.
I agree, the man cant get out of mommy and daddys basement, but he can buy another truck? :confused:

what was wrong with the 03 other than the stick? It was paid for, I wouldnt have got rid of it!

Shrekish
01-27-2010, 08:11 PM
$100 dollar camera? C'mon, it's BC......a new camera probably costs 4, maybe 5 thousand.....lol.

Yes I'm sorry I forgot you could not possibly take picture of the steepest terrain with the hardest rock known to man and the most beautiful place on earth full of nothing but millionaires with a point and click camera !!!

Blue Goose
01-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Gawd, this is a rough crowd....http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q310/centurycoronado/smilierofl2.gif

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q310/centurycoronado/smilieeatdrink.gif

Shrekish
01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=Blue Goose;3385754]Gawd, this is a rough crowd....http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q310/centurycoronado/smilierofl2.gif

And about to get rougher.I have never understood what this has to do with "Heavy Equipment & Pavement". Can someone explain to me how someone with a pickup truck and a few hundred dollars of hand tools has so many posts about a truck purchase here. Maybe Lawnsite shoudl start a forum "I wish I had heavy equipment" just for GR:drinkup:

bobcat_ron
01-27-2010, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=Blue Goose;3385754]Gawd, this is a rough crowd....http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q310/centurycoronado/smilierofl2.gif

And about to get rougher.I have never understood what this has to do with "Heavy Equipment & Pavement". Can someone explain to me how someone with a pickup truck and a few hundred dollars of hand tools has so many posts about a truck purchase here. Maybe Lawnsite shoudl start a forum "I wish I had heavy equipment" just for GR:drinkup:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around his rather high post count. :confused:

Gravel Rat
01-27-2010, 09:21 PM
I have been busy I got the transmission serviced and changed the engine oil with synthetic. Kinda made a mistake when I put the transmission pan on I forgot to put the plug back in :cry:

Dumped 4 litres of oil in and said oh chit especially when that synthetic oil is 12 dollars a bottle :hammerhead:

Anyhow the truck is good to go just have to swap the beds and the new truck should be ready to work. Glad I changed the engine oil it was pretty black and so was the transmission oil. Got the toilet paper filter changed for the transmission. With 6.0 trucks you have to use 5w-40 they run the best on it.

Have to borrow a friends tire machine to swap the tires from the 03 to the 06 if I had a set of tire spoons and some tire snot I could swap them manually.

Have to get the 03 ready to sell before seafood season starts when they get in a panic for a truck money isn't a issue.

The weather has been good I think landscape season might start early time to advertising topsoil hauling. At 60 dollars per hour if I get 2 loads a day a extra 120 dollars goes into the bank. If the season picks up this year I should make a extra 500 a week doing landscaping.

bobcat_ron
01-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Don't feel bad, I just paid $1306 for my F450's service, full tranny oil flush, coolant, oil filters, air filters, tire rotation, brake inspection and new air bag sensor on passenger side.
And I just paid $360 for 2 tiny Bobcat tires I had foam filled for the hopper.
And now my Bradco Quick Attach kit is in the dealer's yard, and my $1700 insurance for the truck is due.

I'm gonna go visit my pot err..... I mean tobacco dealer tonight.

Gravel Rat
01-27-2010, 09:37 PM
You like the smoking the herbs ?

I can do 95% of the maintenance myself I did a brake inspection the other day had the wheels off checking the brakes.

Changed the fuel filters aswell the frame mounted filter is always a b*tch to do but I have learned how to change the filter and not get a bath in diesel fuel.

Probably a good idea that you got your transmission flushed you pull a heavy load and your in stop and go traffic.

I will never pay a mechanic to work on my stuff if I don't have to it is why I have 1000 dollars worth of mechanics tools.

Swampy
01-28-2010, 01:09 AM

LOL :laugh::laugh: there isn't a roll on the floor opition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNSsYw3nBuM

just a $1000 in tools? you just began to tickle the tip of the dinger.

Swampy
01-28-2010, 01:23 AM

LOL :laugh::laugh: there isn't a roll on the floor opition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNSsYw3nBuM

just a $1000 in tools? you just began to tickle the tip of the dinger.

Okay here where lie's your problem. 2 loads a day of topsoil at what a F450 can carry legally is around only 5 yards max so 10 yards. Honestly if your only spreading 10 yards a day something is wrong, fix it!!!! On the best terrian I expect and demand myself and crew to spread 60yards in a day. On the cheap I can get 20yds delivered for $27/yd (AS in USD).

stuvecorp
01-28-2010, 01:50 AM
Okay here where lie's your problem. 2 loads a day of topsoil at what a F450 can carry legally is around only 5 yards max so 10 yards. Honestly if your only spreading 10 yards a day something is wrong, fix it!!!! On the best terrian I expect and demand myself and crew to spread 60yards in a day. On the cheap I can get 20yds delivered for $27/yd (AS in USD).

A 450 could never haul 5 yards (legally), more like 3. If you are paid by the trip - it's all good!

Gravel Rat
01-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Who says I'am spreading topsoil. Most people around here want 2-3 yards of garden mix for vegitable garden. We are paying upwards of 35-40 dollars a yard for good topsoil. Cheap lawn grade topsoil is 20 dollars a yard.

I also haul sand and gravel most of the time it is somebody wants navvy jack (cement gravel) or want sand to spread over their lawn or mix with topsoil.

You wouldn't find many people buying more than 12 yards of topsoil at a time especially when your paying 30 dollars a yard.

Lawns are not very common unless the property allows it. Most peoples lawns consist of a patch of grass that is 20' x 30'. Flower beds and using the natural landscape is common.

There is other work like hauling brush away to the landfill. Quite a few people fight with their little utility trailer and haul 10 loads to the landfill in a single axle trailer. I will haul it away if they have it piled up where I can get my truck near it.

I will keep doing the junk removal can be house hold junk to old scrap cars old scrap steel etc.

Gravel Rat
01-28-2010, 02:05 AM
A 450 could never haul 5 yards (legally), more like 3. If you are paid by the trip - it's all good!

I'am paid by the hour minimum 1 hour. To get the best topsoil I have to travel 45 minutes each way. It would be minimum 120 dollars for me to pick up 3 yards and deliver it.

With 3 yards of garden mix topsoil and my trucking the homeowner is looking at 225 dollars. They can have a tandem axle pick it up they will pick up 3 yards it would be 295 and if a homeowner had a single axle 5 ton dump 255 so it is cheaper for me to pick up and deliver.

A single axle 5 ton dump is 75-80 per hour a tandem is 90-95 per hour my F-450 is 60 per hour.

I can only haul 3 yards on my truck I only have 10 inch side boards on a 11.6 flatdeck dump. I don't want taller sides because I could go deliver a load of soil then I may go do a demo debris job.

Scag48
01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
This is where you fail at business, GR. So you're saying you're only $35 an hour less than a tandem? This is why you'll go broke with your business plan. By spending about 55% more per hour, the customer gets 333% more material hauled in an hour. Thats simple math, they'd go broke paying you to haul 10 yards of material. I understand people sometimes want smaller loads, but those are very few and far between. If someone wants more than 3 yards of material, they're throwing money down the toilet by having you haul more than 1 load. And, if that's the case, you'd have to line up 3-4 of these 3 yard loads in a day to even work a full 8 hours. That's a tough sell, slick. Instead of having 1 client keep you busy for a day or two, you have to line up 3-4 just for a full day worth of work. See where I'm going with this? You've preached on here about how unproductive this size of truck is when hauling and here you are trying to market the concept. You're only going to make money with that truck if you're using it as a support vehicle; moving equipment, tools, etc..

Junior M
01-28-2010, 07:43 PM
This is where you fail at business, GR. So you're saying you're only $35 an hour less than a tandem? This is why you'll go broke with your business plan. By spending about 55% more per hour, the customer gets 333% more material hauled in an hour. Thats simple math, they'd go broke paying you to haul 10 yards of material. I understand people sometimes want smaller loads, but those are very few and far between. If someone wants more than 3 yards of material, they're throwing money down the toilet by having you haul more than 1 load. And, if that's the case, you'd have to line up 3-4 of these 3 yard loads in a day to even work a full 8 hours. That's a tough sell, slick. Instead of having 1 client keep you busy for a day or two, you have to line up 3-4 just for a full day worth of work. See where I'm going with this? You've preached on here about how unproductive this size of truck is when hauling and here you are trying to market the concept. You're only going to make money with that truck if you're using it as a support vehicle; moving equipment, tools, etc..
all I've ever heard is a single is so useless, blah blah blah. And how a one ton dump is useless..

Now, look who is trying to find work for a glorified one ton dump/undersized single axle!

stuvecorp
01-28-2010, 07:46 PM
The only way I see any potential making money delivering small amounts of black dirt is if it is your black dirt.

Gravel Rat
01-29-2010, 03:50 AM

Where I deliver too a tandem axle can't go it is why there is some demand for the small dump truck. Right now people use their pickup trucks to haul topsoil home they may make 2-3 trips to haul enough home. Your just beating the crap out of a 3/4 ton with the back bumper dragging on the ground. The suppliers don't like loading pickup trucks so they make you shovel. One of the suppliers loads with a clean up bucket on a 200 excavator.

Pretty hard to back a tandem into these places it next to impossible. You have a driveway that is 1/2 to a mile or longer into a place and no where to turn around you have to back a tandem in. A truck like mine I have no troubles it may take a 100 point turn to get turned around but I can do it.

I have done it delivering to places 4 miles off the road each way there is no way a tandem is going to make it. Once you leave the paved road your commited no chance of turning around till you get to the house.

There is some places I hate going into you need to charge extra surcharges to go into these places. You have to take the homeowners word that you can turn around when you get to their house.

Homeowners have no choice if they want material delivered they have to pay for a smaller truck to do the job.

Delivering topsoil is just one job I do make money with the junk removal the labour time adds up when it takes 3-4 hours to get one load onto the truck. Some peoples places takes 3 loads to haul away all the junk that comes out of a house. Make 500-600 dollar profit from a clean up job. Estate sale clean ups usually are profitable because people are forced to clean up the property.

Could be 3 tons worth of old canned food or old appliances etc it is amazing what people hoard in their basements.

Trying to get my labour rate up working for 20 dollars per hour is too cheap. Running the truck at 60 per hour is the lowest I can go with diesel fuel at 3.92 a gallon.

Landscapers are charging any where from 30 to 50 per hour depending on what they are doing no skid steers or mini excavators involved.

Have to see if the landscapers in this area can work in my services. I can haul away alot more than what a pickup truck can.

So far I'am pleased with the truck the increased turning radius is already noticed. The torqshift is a nice transmission I think I will make 14 mpg with this truck just the way the gearing is.

Have to get the drive tires changed they shake like a b*tch I put 1000lbs over the axle to see if it makes a difference not a chance.

tnmtn
01-29-2010, 07:18 AM
That 4500 probably has been sitting on a dealers lot for a long time it has two strikes against it for most people. For one it has the 8.1 gas a little piggy but reliable and the second is the truck is a 2wd. Neither of those would bother me. The only thing you have to check for is the truck have the heavier spec's.

I think GM offered a lighter axle option for the 4500 and with it being gas it may not have the S110 Dana.

As for running a regular 1 ton nowwadays no way get the 4500 or 5500 size truck a 1 ton truck is grossly under braked your always pushing the limits.

this quote is from 12/29/09

mxridernorth
01-29-2010, 01:07 PM
hey gr you should sell your 'new' truck and get this one. At least it's 4x and it only has 135000 km http://burnaby.repo.com/details/37411

Gravel Rat
01-29-2010, 01:33 PM
If it wasn't a 98.5 model year it would be worth something but being at that model year there was lots of engine problems with that year. Anybody that buys that truck better be a up to replacing injectors etc. Truck has a smaller turbo aswell. Another strike against it the truck has the lighter rear axle. The modified Dana 80 has a max axle rating of 11,000lbs the Dana S110 has a max axle rating of 14,000lbs. Any F-450 2003 and newer has the S110 which is a good axle it can handle more weight.

Have to get the truck decks swapped it shouldn't take long frames are the same the bolt holes should be the same.

Shadetree Ltd
01-29-2010, 03:22 PM
If it wasn't a 98.5 model year it would be worth something but being at that model year there was lots of engine problems with that year. Anybody that buys that truck better be a up to replacing injectors etc. Truck has a smaller turbo aswell.

You have officially shown your ignorance towards light duty pickups. You have no clue other than what you have read online or what your neighbors mechanics dog has told you. 6.0 were crap till you bought TWO, autos were crap till you bought one, 450-550 brakes were undersized crap until you actually researched it and you continue. The early turbo is popular because of its faster spool unless you are really needing big air (high HP). My 98.5 has 265,000 kms on original injectors. Your 03 has ten times the bugs as the original super duty did, by your reasoning I will offer you $3000 cash for your 03 450.

Scag48
01-29-2010, 03:30 PM
You have officially shown your ignorance towards light duty pickups. You have no clue other than what you have read online or what your neighbors mechanics dog has told you. 6.0 were crap till you bought TWO, autos were crap till you bought one, 450-550 brakes were undersized crap until you actually researched it and you continue. The early turbo is popular because of its faster spool unless you are really needing big air (high HP). My 98.5 has 265,000 kms on original injectors. Your 03 has ten times the bugs as the original super duty did, by your reasoning I will offer you $3000 cash for your 03 450.

Amen! The 99 7.3's are great and, dare I say, a better motor overall compared to ANY 6.0. I've never heard ANYONE complain about the injectors in any 7.3 but I feel that those injectors can take a beating. My dad has a '99 F350 that he put half a tank of 87 octane in, realized what he did, filled the other half with diesel then drove home. Was that dumb? Absolutely, I would've drained the tank had it been me. However, that was 30K miles ago, truck has 200K on it and still runs very well considering the hell that running gasoline through a diesel does to the injectors and my dad's mediocre engine maintenance schedule. Simply put, the 7.3 Powerstrokes take a beating and keep going. We have a '95 Powerstroke at work with 300K hard miles on it, still going. I'll take ANY year 7.3 Powerstroke, maybe even an IDI, over a 6.0.

mxridernorth
01-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Whew! I thought it was just me getting lucky with my 7.3 PS. Actually I've had three 7.3 powerstrokes now and haven't had a motor issue with any of them. The 6.0's on the other hand have been been trouble for two close friends that have/had them. The first my, my neighbors was 2003.5 and Ford made him bring in his truck where they de-rated the motor because the injector kept blowing o-rings. Never towed the same after that. My other friend with a 2005 had a gremlin that caused him to replaced all his injectors. And then then the computer still kept throwing injector codes. I lost track of all the things that he replaced trying to sort his truck out. The 6.4, that I would only get new and jettison before the warranty ran out.

bearmtnmartin
02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Well, I just bought another pickup, and I was going to buy a Ford. But every single person I talked to had nothing good to say about the 6 litre or the 6.4. I can't afford to spend that much money and then pay for a bunch of repairs. I noticed that there a LOT of big Fords sitting on the lots right now. They need to build a nice little straight 6 and sort themselves out. So I have a Dodge instead.

On the rate issue, a 1 ton in our area should be getting at least 90 dollars an hour. I'm less than an hour from GR, and I sure don't work that cheap. Heres a tip GR. Figure out your cost per mile to run the truck, and you should know exactly because you have been doing it for a while. If you do your own repairs, then add that in at a reasonable rate. Why work for free? Then add a good wage for yourself or a driver. I would suggest 20 t0 22 dollars an hour plus payroll deductions.( I figure about 20 per cent). Then add a healthy profit. Then factor in depreciation, because you will have to replace your truck in a few years, and why go through all the stress of not being able to afford one again? Don't forget to add 20 to 50 percent onto the amount you pay for the material you haul. If you ever pick up a shovel, then charge a good rate for your work. If you have to wait while the owner moves a lift of lumber or his travel trailer out of your way, then charge him a good rate. If he wants you to dump half at his place and half at his buddies 2 blocks away, charge for a second delivery. If you think you might get stuck, then warn him of the possibility and that he will be charged the time and expense involved if you do. He might find an easier place for you to dump. If he doesn't like all the above and tells you to stuff it, hen charge him for the back haul, and give him a bill and make sure he pays it. The law is on your side. Do all of the above with a smile on your face, in a very professional manner and you will make money. If you loose some your customers, then they only used you because of your price and they were not worth keeping. Don't forget that people in high end homes are used to paying good money for a good product and will understand when you tell them the rate is going up and why. If they say that so and so can do it cheaper, then tell them with confidance that you can't do it that cheap and have a good explaination ready. I have got to the point where if certain competitors are bidding a job, I will tell the customer before I start that I will be more money. And then I often get the job anyway. My best snag was a builder who had been quoted $5000.00 for a system,and I quoted $33,000. Yep, $28,000 more. Guess who got the work. You might be in a cut throat sector, but you chose it, so just make it work for you. Look at those GotJunk? franchises. They do the same thing as you and those guys make millions.

Gravel Rat
02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I got the deck off my 06 wasn't too bad but I have a buggered up leg. I slipped last week and twisted the crap out of my knee and landed on my hip. It is making it a little hard to move around :cry:

Anyhow I will get the deck off my other truck and put it on the 06 everything should bolt on same bolt holes.

Talking to a landscaper friend he says he is busy so that is good. Another good thing is his dump truck is dying so he may have some extra work.

Gravel Rat
02-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Well, I just bought another pickup, and I was going to buy a Ford. But every single person I talked to had nothing good to say about the 6 litre or the 6.4. I can't afford to spend that much money and then pay for a bunch of repairs. I noticed that there a LOT of big Fords sitting on the lots right now. They need to build a nice little straight 6 and sort themselves out. So I have a Dodge instead.

On the rate issue, a 1 ton in our area should be getting at least 90 dollars an hour. I'm less than an hour from GR, and I sure don't work that cheap. Heres a tip GR. Figure out your cost per mile to run the truck, and you should know exactly because you have been doing it for a while. If you do your own repairs, then add that in at a reasonable rate. Why work for free? Then add a good wage for yourself or a driver. I would suggest 20 t0 22 dollars an hour plus payroll deductions.( I figure about 20 per cent). Then add a healthy profit. Then factor in depreciation, because you will have to replace your truck in a few years, and why go through all the stress of not being able to afford one again? Don't forget to add 20 to 50 percent onto the amount you pay for the material you haul. If you ever pick up a shovel, then charge a good rate for your work. If you have to wait while the owner moves a lift of lumber or his travel trailer out of your way, then charge him a good rate. If he wants you to dump half at his place and half at his buddies 2 blocks away, charge for a second delivery. If you think you might get stuck, then warn him of the possibility and that he will be charged the time and expense involved if you do. He might find an easier place for you to dump. If he doesn't like all the above and tells you to stuff it, hen charge him for the back haul, and give him a bill and make sure he pays it. The law is on your side. Do all of the above with a smile on your face, in a very professional manner and you will make money. If you loose some your customers, then they only used you because of your price and they were not worth keeping. Don't forget that people in high end homes are used to paying good money for a good product and will understand when you tell them the rate is going up and why. If they say that so and so can do it cheaper, then tell them with confidance that you can't do it that cheap and have a good explaination ready. I have got to the point where if certain competitors are bidding a job, I will tell the customer before I start that I will be more money. And then I often get the job anyway. My best snag was a builder who had been quoted $5000.00 for a system,and I quoted $33,000. Yep, $28,000 more. Guess who got the work. You might be in a cut throat sector, but you chose it, so just make it work for you. Look at those GotJunk? franchises. They do the same thing as you and those guys make millions.

I'am okay with the 6.0 if something breaks just have to fix it. I had decent luck with my 2003 if it wasn't for the 6spd and the engine computer not allowing throttle at idle the truck would do fine.

As for my hourly rates I'am competitive with the others lots of people out there working for cheaper. One thing about it when it comes to disposal work I'am fully legal and do everything legally. I don't dump garbage off on some side road.

Have to see what it will be like this year I'am hoping people will start spending money again.

In the years previous I used to do quite abit of concrete work not sure if I want to do that. Doing garden shed slabs or sidewalk repairs etc.

In the years previous I used to get alot of work for a renovation contractor he has since retired. Hauled away quite a few tons of debris from his jobs.

Everybody is still complaining about lack of work I know the builders are really crying right now.

Lazer_Z
02-02-2010, 09:52 AM
GR or should I call you Mike? Did you even read what the hell bearmtnmartin took the time to type? No you didn't, you just continue to piss and moan and steer around the subject. Where in his post did he mention ANYTHING about dumping crap on the side of the road? People are TRYING, keyword TRYING to help you, but it's obvious you're too stupid to understand or listen. There is tons of info on this site, the info is geared toward contractors and those who are starting a business, be it landscaping, construction, pressure washing, hardscaping etc... What, if anything are you doing here, specifically in this forum?

Don't ever quit your day job, working on Ferry's or working for the Government or whatever the hell you do aside from annoying people. Keep living in Mommy & Daddy's basement, because you could never make it being a real contractor and no, hauling 3 yards of dirt in your tonka toy of a truck doesn't make you a contractor.

alco
02-02-2010, 07:47 PM
GR or should I call you Mike? Did you even read what the hell bearmtnmartin took the time to type? No you didn't, you just continue to piss and moan and steer around the subject. Where in his post did he mention ANYTHING about dumping crap on the side of the road? People are TRYING, keyword TRYING to help you, but it's obvious you're too stupid to understand or listen. There is tons of info on this site, the info is geared toward contractors and those who are starting a business, be it landscaping, construction, pressure washing, hardscaping etc... What, if anything are you doing here, specifically in this forum?

Don't ever quit your day job, working on Ferry's or working for the Government or whatever the hell you do aside from annoying people. Keep living in Mommy & Daddy's basement, because you could never make it being a real contractor and no, hauling 3 yards of dirt in your tonka toy of a truck doesn't make you a contractor.

It's funny because it true.

Gravel Rat
02-02-2010, 10:43 PM

I definatly can't make money mowing grass like you do. Around here you would go broke mowing lawns people are only willing to pay 10 dollars per hour for lawn mowing. I did mowing as part of my services but after fighting with people to get paid I said screw this I'am not even covering the costs. You try collecting money from people when they say we don't like the job and there is nothing wrong with the job I did. Then they complain it took too long to mow the grass but to do a good job it takes 1 hour. They go into the house and lock the door and wait for you to leave without pay. You go back later to get your money they don't open the door. So you end up eating the loss and never work for the person again. They pull the same stunt on somebody else and keep doing it till they run out of people to hire.

Any landscaping work is a tough business to be in people not paying their bills or b*tching about how expensive you are. People don't think you should make a profit. When I got out of highschool I started in the landscaping work. In the 15 years since I started in the landscaping work I'am the only original person left. Other people tried and went broke had to find another job. Every year somebody would try get into it find there is absolutely no profit they are gone.

I worked for one of the homeowners for years I hand felled the trees on his building site I did demolition for him. Did alot of concrete work aswell. Also hauled alot of garbage for him. Only one stipulation if I wanted the work he decided what the wage was going to be. Alot of the time he didn't agree with the hours I put in and wouldn't pay me.

Almost all the senior citizens I did landscaping for they couldn't afford to pay anymore than 30-40 dollars a day. So it was about 10 dollars per hour if I put in 4 hours.

I worked for far less per hour than other landscapers it is why they went broke I never made much of a profit but it kept me going.

One of the guys I went to school with is trying to tough it out in the landscaping but he is struggling to get 18 dollars per hour and that is with tools. He does good work but homeowners refuse to pay anymore money. He lives on his dads property in a old house so he doesn't have to pay the 1200-1400 month rent we have around here.

As for myself have to wait and see what happens. The way it is looking it doesn't look like the bad times are over yet. The building contractors don't have anything lined up yet. The excavation contractors are not paying their bills because they have no money coming in.

Gravel Rat
02-02-2010, 11:04 PM
I didn't get much as I like to on my truck I had to pick up 1000 dollars worth of scrap metal for my brother this morning.

The weather is supposed to be good I might beable to get my dump deck on the 06 tomorrow :)

Scag48
02-02-2010, 11:17 PM
So if there's no work, why did you buy an identical truck to what you had, screw yourself into more debt without expanding capabilities, all on top of trying to ride a piss poor business model 'til she's broke? I'm sorry man, I don't see your venture going a whole lot further until you decide you have a pair and are willing to fight to make it.

fool32696
02-02-2010, 11:30 PM
You guys just don't understand. If he was a success, made money, bought his own house, and had a girlie move in he wouldn't have anything to come on here and complain about. Here's an idea GR, pretend for a month you don't know ANYTHING and you DON'T have all of the answers (or excuses). When you talk to some of these VERY wealthy people that you speak of, ask what they do for a living (just listen, you don't have to tell them how sad and pathetic your situation is). Apparently SOME people in your God-forsaken area are making it. We know you'll never move because you like to brag about the steep grades, etc. at least doing this you can gain some insight into what WORKS in your area.

Gravel Rat
02-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Like I said this is a part time venture nobody can make a living at landscaping full time. I can make it go part time because I'am not making a full living off of it.

A landscaper can't hire anybody to work for them because you need to pay your employee minimum 20 dollars per hour. It is one of the biggest problems with another friend who is in the landscaping business he gets work because he has a degree in horticuture and he does landscape design. He can't keep any employees because he can only pay 15 dollars per hour max well you can't live in this area on 15 dollars per hour. He can't pay more than 15 dollars per hour because he can't charge the customer anymore per hour.

If he has a employee mowing and doing lawn work he charges 30 dollars per hour. Well if he is paying the employee 15 he is making 15 dollars per hour profit it is less because the wear and tear on the lawnmower.

I'am a one man band I can't afford to hire help I can't charge out enough to cover paying a employee 20 dollars per hour.

So if I can make enough deliveries per month to pay for the truck payment and money in my pocket I'am good to go. Nobody else can do it because you can't make enough profit to pay for the truck and make enough profit to live on.

The reason why I'am doing this is so I can have other things to do to make my regular day job more bearable. After work go deliver couple loads of topsoil get to take my mind off of things and make a extra 120 dollars.

On a day off I can go do some junk removal or do a small landscape job make some extra cash.

The little jobs add up and the money made is put away in the bank.

Like I said I can put other people out of business because I can do a job slightly cheaper because I don't need to make a big profit. It isn't something I will do thou because we need to keep the labour rates up.

Gravel Rat
02-03-2010, 12:12 AM
You guys just don't understand. If he was a success, made money, bought his own house, and had a girlie move in he wouldn't have anything to come on here and complain about. Here's an idea GR, pretend for a month you don't know ANYTHING and you DON'T have all of the answers (or excuses). When you talk to some of these VERY wealthy people that you speak of, ask what they do for a living (just listen, you don't have to tell them how sad and pathetic your situation is). Apparently SOME people in your God-forsaken area are making it. We know you'll never move because you like to brag about the steep grades, etc. at least doing this you can gain some insight into what WORKS in your area.

The wealthy people are the ones that bought houses in Vancouver B.C. back in the 70s for 60,000 dollars and sold them in todays market at 2 million dollars.

The money floating around is from realestate these people are making 1 million or more profit when they sell their house so they have money to burn. Money is no object so they buy a piece of property with cash money no loads or mortgages. They build their house with cash money.

For a example my aunts house in a nicer part of Vancouver is in the 1.5 million dollar range. They bought the house for 100,000 back in the early 80s.

Working class people in the area are being pushed out if your in the 40 grand a year income bracket tough luck.

To live in Vancouver you have to make atleast 100 grand a year and you never own a house. The realestate prices in Vancouver are close to California prices because you are getting less of a house for the price.

You move into northern B.C. you can buy cheap property because there is no work left now that the forestry is dead.

The reason why the realestate prices are high is because it is a desirable places to live.

It is at the point now that the rich retirees that made big on their realestate sale buy a house in the area for 1 million dollars the property taxes go sky high. Now the property tax is so high in the area any of the older retired people that live on a fixed income they can't afford the property taxes in the area.

When your going from working class communities where every dollar earned was well earned to the filthy rich people taking over well its not going over so well. Eventually I will have to move along with the other working class people it will become too expensive to live around here.

A young familly doesn't stand a chance to live around here anymore. It used to be generations of famillies not anymore. The baby boomer's children isn't possible to live in the community they were raised in.

It is why schools are scheduled to close because the drop in enrollment is happening. Famillies with school age children are un-able to raise their familly in a area where wages are low and cost of living is extremely high.

Not good for school teachers they loose their jobs and have to move away from the area.

bearmtnmartin
02-03-2010, 01:17 AM
holy crap. my head hurts.

Shadetree Ltd
02-03-2010, 02:25 AM
people in your God-forsaken area
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwSCHRQCIBY
Just thought I would share a small video about this place that some of us on here are proud to call home. Hopefully other BCers can pull through the Gravel Rat mud :canadaflag:

PS Some of the Olympic venues are truly amazing, not quite the architecture seen in China but still beautiful

mxridernorth
02-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Gravel Rat I'm not claiming to be an English major, but your composition and sentence structure are horrible.

You don't have to hit the Enter key after every period.

Get it?

Gravel Rat
02-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Have to see what happens with the Olympics all I can say I never supported having the event. The amount of tax money spent on this to try attract tourists to B.C. is it really worth the hundreds of millions of dollars ?

Shadetree Ltd
02-03-2010, 03:06 AM
There is no use complaining or whining at this point, I just hope they are well received and do benefit this province past Feb 2010.

Junior M
02-03-2010, 08:41 AM
GR, just shut up.. From what I gather, you got 2 options.

1)Grow a set and move up

2)Or open up your mouth and start moving up that way..

Gravel Rat
02-03-2010, 03:49 PM
There is no use complaining or whining at this point, I just hope they are well received and do benefit this province past Feb 2010.

I do think it will be good for the Canadian athletes to show their stuff but it sure is expensive. It will probably take 40 years to pay off the debt it would be 73 years old.

Lazer_Z
02-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Just thought I would share a small video about this place that some of us on here are proud to call home. Hopefully other BCers can pull through the Gravel Rat mud :canadaflag:

PS Some of the Olympic venues are truly amazing, not quite the architecture seen in China but still beautiful Shadetree, I for one know he's full of crap and that promo video for the Olympics proves that BC is indeed a beautiful place. Hell, almost every single video Ron has posted has amazing scenery as a back drop. I'd like to visit Canada one day and hopefully I'll never run into Mr. Doom & Gloom.

mxridernorth
02-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Ron's vids all have green screen for backdrops. This place is terrible don't bother coming.

Actually it is a great place with gorgeous, varied terrain, and for the most part, the people are friendly. If you do come, steer clear of the GR's area (wherever that is), but it should be easy to spot with all the thunderclouds and lightening overhead.

zak406
02-03-2010, 05:58 PM

PS Some of the Olympic venues are truly amazing, not quite the architecture seen in China but still beautiful

O my god its so horrible there. Somebody seriously shade my eyes i cant look at it. I think it burnt my retinas, it is so terrible there.... That proves it there is no god putting such a god awful place on this earth..... :rolleyes: :canadaflag::usflag:

bobcat_ron
02-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Ron's vids all have green screen for backdrops. This place is terrible don't bother coming.

Hey I only use green screens when I make a movie with all my girlfriends.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-03-2010, 11:30 PM
do you paint yourself green as well ronnie? ron jeremy....jk, couldnt resist!

have we even seen pictures of this truck yet??? 14pages and nothing...

bobcat_ron
02-04-2010, 09:38 AM
do you paint yourself green as well ronnie? ron jeremy....jk, couldnt resist!

No, I don't need green screen for that part, just a bag over my head is all the girls need.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-04-2010, 09:41 AM
if i were you, id grow my hair out a bit and curl it and go to the bars introducing yourself as Ron Jeremy. some girls are into that sort of thing and apparently he still gets gigs, no idea how... They can be disappointed later in the night, but just keep the lights off and all will be good.

seriously this thread is crap...

Lazer_Z
02-06-2010, 10:45 AM
if i were you, id grow my hair out a bit and curl it and go to the bars introducing yourself as Ron Jeremy. some girls are into that sort of thing and apparently he still gets gigs, no idea how... They can be disappointed later in the night, but just keep the lights off and all will be good.

seriously this thread is crap...Half true, all of GR's threads are crap.

alco
02-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Half true, all of GR's threads are crap.

Now that's entirely true.

Gravel Rat
02-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Half true, all of GR's threads are crap.

Well for one thing I make a guaranteed 40 grand a year and I don't have to ride or push a lawnmower like you.

Another thing I don't spread rumors that people might be pedophiles which I'am not and I assume your youtube handle is Knot222 coincidently it says the user name is Rob. If it is you what a phucking looser kinda childish I guess that is the way you are :nono:

Back to my truck I have got the decks swapped no pictures yet no time for snapping pictures. Swapping decks in the driveway probably wasn't the best idea. Got it almost done thou need to put the hydraulics on the 06 and build two steel brackets it will be good to go.

The one topsoil supplier is trying to find a 1 ton dump truck to buy so if I can supply a dump truck service for him I can. The only thing the soil he has isn't premo stuff its black and thats about it you really need to add fertilizer.

stroker51
02-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Wow, I might be able to come up with something to say in later when my head clears up....

DirtMerchant
02-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Well for one thing I make a guaranteed 40 grand a year and I don't have to ride or push a lawnmower like you.

Another thing I don't spread rumors that people might be pedophiles which I'am not and I assume your youtube handle is Knot222 coincidently it says the user name is Rob. If it is you what a phucking looser kinda childish I guess that is the way you are :nono:

Back to my truck I have got the decks swapped no pictures yet no time for snapping pictures. Swapping decks in the driveway probably wasn't the best idea. Got it almost done thou need to put the hydraulics on the 06 and build two steel brackets it will be good to go.

The one topsoil supplier is trying to find a 1 ton dump truck to buy so if I can supply a dump truck service for him I can. The only thing the soil he has isn't premo stuff its black and thats about it you really need to add fertilizer.

Be belittling people who mow lawns on a lawn site?:dizzy:

It doesn't take away from the fact your threads still SUCK

bobcat_ron
02-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Wow, I might be able to come up with something to say in later when my head clears up....

How about GR's new theme song in the tune of Fred Roger's neighbourhood:

"It's a wonderful day for a prostitute, even though they look kinda destitute........"

alco
02-07-2010, 10:46 PM
How about GR's new theme song in the tune of Fred Roger's neighbourhood:

"It's a wonderful day for a prostitute, even though they look kinda destitute........"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....nice one Ron.

Gravel Rat
02-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Ron has the good girlfriends the ones that have a little scent of curry and lots of black hair :laugh:

DirtMerchant
02-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Ron has the good girlfriends the ones that have a little scent of curry and lots of black hair :laugh:

Chimpanzees or gorillas?

bobcat_ron
02-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Chimpanzees or gorillas?

Neither, Sasquatch girlfriends, got to stay in your own ethnicity if you know what I'm saying.
Those curried girls made me scream on the toilet every morning when I took a dump after a hard curry encounter.