PDA

View Full Version : Paving

tthomass
01-22-2010, 11:00 PM
My property is a 1/4 mile off the road and I'm entertaining the idea of asphalt. I have seen asphalt equipment for sale and was thinking I could purchase the paver, use it and then sell it. I've watched someone use one, its pretty simple and I could get the hang of it pretty quick. I'm not doing a parking lot, its a straight shot. Dump and pave. If I pay $10k-$15k for this machine and sell it for that, or even 50-75% of that, I'm saving substantial money. I haven't gotten a quote yet but....

1/4 mile = 1,320 feet

@4" = 195 tons + compaction maybe we'll be around 250 tons

250 tons X $45 ton = $11,250

+ some other work I'll do, I'm looking at $25k covering this adventure and then selling the machine to recoup some cash. I would guess paying someone to do this will come in around $50k.

Why not?

Gravel Rat
01-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Paving is not as easy as it looks you could be out alot of money if something doesn't go right. Where are you going to get a asphalt supply ?

Around here the paving company owns the asphalt plant you can't buy asphalt and spread it yourself.

Bleed Green
01-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Would putting down a gravel drive be an option? It would be cheaper I would think and you would not have to worry about trying to sell the paving equipment in this economy. Just my thoughts, but it sounds like an expensive experiment job.

tthomass
01-22-2010, 11:24 PM
I don't care about getting money back out of the machine. If I sell it for 1/2 what I negotiate, thats fine. I'll guy a good one cheap and ask even less.....it'll move. But, this is not a concern. I'll sit on the machine for a while if I have to.

Anybody with a dump truck can buy asphalt. The plant isn't the only company that does paving. Pacing companies have to buy their asphalt or have it hauled in. I will not be moving asphalt with my trucks, I'll pay someone to haul it for me. I know the manager of a plant anyway and can get a better price.

Current driveway is compacted 21A. I put down 400 tons.

93turbo
01-23-2010, 12:33 AM
Around here the last time I heard a quote it was $110 for 10 sq ft. so a 1320ft driveway 10ft wide would be $145200 That seems a little steep so I don't know what kind of break they make when it gets to be such a long drive. I been wondering about this also as my drives a half mile from the road and the potholes get old

ConstSvcs
01-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Best if you install at 2.5" binder compacted to 2" then 2.5" driveway mix compacted to 2" for a total of 4" compacted. Heaver on the binder depending on traffic weight loads.

1 ton covers 90 sq.ft at layed thickness of 2.5" compacted to 2"

so...1320'x12'=15840/90=176 t x two layers=352 t x $120 per tn.+/- = $ 42,240

Paver box, double drum vib roller, rakes, pump sprayer, 4 men.....sure if you don't mind sitting on a paving box and you own a vib roller ar can rent on locally ........sure.

I would get a price from a local paver and offer materials by check, labor by cash and by them all lunch. Then you won't take a hit on reselling the box........unless you want to do the "hands on" thing with the paving.

You sure would get the hang of the box adjustments half way through the binder......for sure!

Don't even thing of laying and compacting that drive in a single layer! That would be a HUGE mistake on your part!:nono::nono:

Oh.......I know you're thinking of asphalt at $ 45 per ton but I think that is way off ....unless you already have a quote for that price. I know I just paid $110/ ton for a driveway apron that I just paved in November. That price was picked up at the plant.

MOREDIRT
01-23-2010, 09:37 AM
It is about 60 a ton here I have thought about doing the same thing but concrete is not much more and can be poured in sections and it will hold up better and increase your property value.

curtisfarmer
01-23-2010, 09:56 AM
$60+/- round these parts.....local paving contracters are jonesing bad and offering lower costs on the install.....but the price per ton remains the same.

salopez
01-23-2010, 11:48 AM
I was just quoted 50 a ton picked up in Reston Va.

Gravel Rat
01-23-2010, 02:45 PM
I agree concrete is the way to go and its easier to work with. You don't even need it to be solid across two strips for the tires to ride on and compacted gravel inbetween.

Maybe your guys asphalt plants are different in the USA in this area there is one paving company they own the asphalt plant and they do not sell asphalt to anybody else.

Most people have gone to concrete it looks nicer and any concrete placing companies do driveways. The only problem is concrete is classed as perminant so it makes your property tax increase. Asphalt isn't classed as perminant so it doesn't effect your taxes.

Asphalt used on driveways is usually thin so if you have a heavy truck drive on it you can have damage if the driveway is warm. Say the stove oil delevery or propane truck delivers product to your house the truck can do some damage. Even in the summer time having a load of topsoil delivered with a tandem axle dump that is worse. Hot asphalt heavy truck most truck drivers refuse to drive over the driveway.

Do do a concrete driveway 10 feet wide and 1/4 mile long which many driveways are around here would be 20,000 dollars. That would be for a existing driveway that has been gravel and all the prep that has to be done is graded and formed.

ioilyouin
01-23-2010, 06:19 PM
IF you're in the biz and you're moving equipment down your lane 4" compacted might not last as long as you'd like.

ConstSvcs
01-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Bad info, our local price is $67 +:hammerhead:

tthomass
01-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Bad info, our local price is $67 +:hammerhead:

Wow, what an educated response " :hammerhead: ".....my area is right around the $45 mark.

I would do all base material for the asphalt. I do not care for the pretty top coating, unless its necessary. This is not to say that a 4" run would be made in one pass as it should be two passes. All else, I know an operator and could slip him some cash to come run the thing.

I will be collecting quotes to see where people are coming in at for comparison.

NEUSWEDE
01-23-2010, 10:42 PM
why not just rent a paver? I know cat and volvo have them so I am sure they rent them. Would save a lot of hassle. But it sounds like a good idea for a driveway that big. Thats a lot of trucks but will be nice when its done.

P.Services
01-23-2010, 11:18 PM
holy shet man, your making to much money if you have that kind of cash to blow on a driveway!!! keep the crushed fresh and run on it! pour some crete around your shop and house and call it perfect. Some day you will have big heavy trucks coming in and out and that asphalt isnt going to last very long mark my words.

my uncle bought a older paver for 800 bucks off a government auction site no joke. lays it down just as wide and just as good as a new one. Hes doing his whole supply yard with it.

i would rent one from cat before i bought one though. Think about it probably 1,500 bucks to rent a late model top of the line machine. then you dont have to worry about finding a machine, fixing any problems, hauling it once you bought it, running ads to sell it, and in the end i bet you will still take a loss over 1,500 bucks. Just rent the paver and a roller.

and i think your selling drugs on the side now.

alco
01-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Something else to consider....how about getting your hands on some RAP....recycled asphalt product. Basically, the material they get from the milling machines that grind old asphalt off of roads for resurfacing. Hope that makes sense to someone.....too much nyquil right now...lol.

Anyhow, the stuff is great. If you have an existing driveway that is fairly solid to use as a base, then all you have to do is spread it, compact it and drive on it. If it gets rutted, simply regrade it, and recompact it.

No dust, no fuss, and if it gets damaged, it's simple to repair. Sure, it's not as durable as virgin asphalt, but it's a low cost solution that is nicer to deal with than gravel.

You could likely do the quarter mile for around 5 grand if they have a decent price on it. I remember when there was a big highway job going on with lots of grinding, they would give it away for free at home.

Anyhow, it's just a thought.

ioilyouin
01-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Something else to consider....how about getting your hands on some RAP....recycled asphalt product. Basically, the material they get from the milling machines that grind old asphalt off of roads for resurfacing. Hope that makes sense to someone.....too much nyquil right now...lol.

Anyhow, the stuff is great. If you have an existing driveway that is fairly solid to use as a base, then all you have to do is spread it, compact it and drive on it. If it gets rutted, simply regrade it, and recompact it.

No dust, no fuss, and if it gets damaged, it's simple to repair. Sure, it's not as durable as virgin asphalt, but it's a low cost solution that is nicer to deal with than gravel.

You could likely do the quarter mile for around 5 grand if they have a decent price on it. I remember when there was a big highway job going on with lots of grinding, they would give it away for free at home.

To each his own. Personally I wouldn't touch the stuff.

alco
01-24-2010, 11:56 PM
To each his own. Personally I wouldn't touch the stuff.

And your reasoning behind that?

stuvecorp
01-25-2010, 12:08 AM

I used some recycled blacktop on part of our shop drive. Graded it out and compacted it and has been fine, haven't touched it. I would do it again for what it's worth.

Gravel Rat
01-25-2010, 12:14 AM
They used to give it away but you can't get the pavement grindings you mix it with a binder and it is just like asphalt. When the cost of oil increased it wasn't given away anymore.

Good stuff just can't get it.

alco
01-25-2010, 12:26 AM
They used to give it away but you can't get the pavement grindings you mix it with a binder and it is just like asphalt. When the cost of oil increased it wasn't given away anymore.

Good stuff just can't get it.

Ummm, yes, you can. Quite easily too, but they charge a bit for it in most cases. In fact, last time I was home, I looked into some for a friend's driveway, and they were selling it for only a bit more than 3/4" road crush.

Gravel Rat
01-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Out here on the West Coast companies like BA Blacktop are keeping the road grindings and using it in new asphalt. A person used to beable to get the road grindings and it does work good.

RHS
01-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Give your local Tar and Chip company a call! Unless you love that "airport run way look"......... Tar and chip offers a great price and Durability to match.

Gravel Rat, you and I are in the same general area (I Think) and I am almost positive that Cantex Penticton will gladly sell you or me Asphalt! I know that's where some of the smaller Paving outfits in the South Okanagan get their material.

Kepple Services
01-25-2010, 09:52 AM
RAP works great for a cheap road or parking area. I drive over a RAP road every day going into our recycler yard. I would say there is up to 120 trucks a day going in, and it is holding up great. We are going to get about 300 ton at our yard here soon to put down as a parking pad for the trucks and some of the machines.

ioilyouin
01-25-2010, 10:15 AM
And your reasoning behind that?

It will work if it is compacted properly, but I've ran into too many drives where it was just put down willy nilly. The homeowner thinks because it's recycled asphalt it will magically knit itself back into it's former homgeneous self. While in reality asphalt is handled at more than 200deg. Maybe it's just difference in supply, but I think that the millings have a lot of dust in them.

alco
01-25-2010, 02:29 PM
The base definitely has to be solid, a good, solid gravel driveway should work just fine as a base. The RAP tends to compact well by simply driving over it a few times, but actually compacting it would certainly help the cause in the long run. I have never found dust to be an issue with RAP. Once it's laid down and packed in, it's fairly solid, and I have always found it to be dust free. Now, that being said, it's certainly not hot mix. But I think it makes a decent substitute where the cost of paving with hot mix is too hard to justify.