PDA

View Full Version : 36" Snapper Pro

Larson Lawn Care
01-23-2010, 03:32 AM
I was thinking about buying a new 36" Snapper Pro. I have used Ferris for the past 4 years now and I have been told that they are almost the same mower. I am considering the dual drive so I can have a sulky behind it. What is your experience with this mower? Good buy? Bad buy?

MOHUSTLER
01-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Great buy! For the features and size its probably the best/best priced hydro walk out on the market.

WREBELMACHINE
01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
I do not know what kind of price are they going for? Around here Encore dominates and they use a pump wheel motor drive instead of the IZT drive the snapper uses.

touhey33
01-23-2010, 11:53 AM
I have the Ferris comfort control in the 52 and the 36, the 36 is the same as the snapper sw20 36, except it has a 15hp enigne and electric start and the snapper is 13hp with pull start. Its a great mower, and the snapper is only 3999 msrp, and I've seen them go for as low as 3299 when they have dealer rebates. Also the deck adjusts with hand cranks. Im actually thinking of getting the new SW30 61" the 20hp is 5199.

GreenGiant94
01-23-2010, 01:06 PM
They are good mowers. I have had mine since early last spring and haven't had many major problems. I love having it hydro drive, it helps so much. I also love the adjustable deck, I adjust it all the time.

Larson Lawn Care
01-23-2010, 01:51 PM
How are the hand grips. I think the ones I saw were metal? No grip... it might not have been fully assembled though. Does it stripe good, does it manuever like a Ferris?

Larson Lawn Care
01-23-2010, 02:10 PM
... and can an electric start be installed?

ed2hess
01-23-2010, 08:06 PM
The snapper pro 36" seems to be a good little unit. We have one year on ours and like it a lot.. I certainly like having a good brake and those adjustable decks are nice. We have used those on older snappers and they are nice. There doesn't seem to be any need for electric start in fact I think that is worse. My only concern is that it isn't no scag but seems kinda solid. Don't know about those integrated hydro units...time will tell. The price is right on these units and not many floating decks on hydro units any more.

Larson Lawn Care
01-24-2010, 02:34 AM
thanks for the info. I've had a 36" John Deere since 2003, and never really liked it. It's a belt drive and it is tough to operate. I only have about 10 accounts right now that I need a 36" mower for (small gates), so I think I will be buying the snapper pro and in the future it will get more use.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Im think im going to get one too. Does any one have pics, of the rear mainly? Im curious as to sulky mounting capabilities. Can they push a sulky in reverse?

touhey33
01-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Im think im going to get one too. Does any one have pics, of the rear mainly? Im curious as to sulky mounting capabilities. Can they push a sulky in reverse?

I have the ferris 36 comfort control which is the same except it comes w/ 15hp electric start, It pulls me with a swivel wheel sulky no problem. 13hp is plenty to pull you.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
01-30-2010, 11:24 PM
So I take it there's a secure place in back to mount it? How do they stripe? Do they use a standard medium or high lift type blade?

bobbycat02
01-31-2010, 02:55 PM
i ve had a snapper 48 for two yrs only problems were a starting problem that was electrical that was under warranty,there were two modification's i put a metal catcher accelerator bag on when the after market bracket was installed the discharge chute would't go down so i had to grind off about 1.5 of metal so the chute would go down also its a floating deck their are to hand cranks for the height adjustment they go through the cutting deck when they break the deck drops to the ground poor design a lot of stress on those two bolts mine broke twice both sides at different times the fix i drilled two holes trough the cutting deck spaced apart installed with eye bolts with chains that will take the stress off those two bolts. As with all new mowers their are things that look good on paper but don't work well these are just entry level mowers a step down from Ferris if you go to the Ferris web page you will see some differences but that being said the price was 3999.95 after all the bugs got worked out and some modification's also don't believe the decals on the height adj measure the blade yourself from the ground up on a level surface to the tip, good news cuts awesome drives like an caddy cuts well in wet conditions no large clumps.i would buy another don't have any info on a 36 but i know a another landscaper who has one no problems so far sorry for the long post just want to advise people on my experience once you buy you cant return it

Shasta Lake Landscaping
01-31-2010, 03:11 PM
No, thank you for the long post. I wish a lot more people would share there experiences with this mower, you are absolutely correct once it's bought that's it, or else it's a huge loss. I'm trying to learn everything I can before I spend $4,000. Especially since I have SO many choices.

You said it's entry level...how would it handle 1,000hrs a year?

MarkTodd2233
01-31-2010, 03:45 PM
This might be a stupid question, but I am new to this, are yall talking about the Snapper Pro 36 ZTR,,,, if so am also looking at them,, just starting out

Mark

bobbycat02
01-31-2010, 03:48 PM
its basicly a feriss design with a snapper sticker on it for the price and slight difference between the two mowers its a good deal just do all maint like your supose to and it will last for a long time don't worry about hrs so far I've ran mine for two yrs 40 hrs a week 40x 26 weeks x 2 seasons going on # 3 go to snapper pro .com and feriss . com and check out the two mowers then check prices.

MarkTodd2233
01-31-2010, 03:57 PM
Thank you very much, I will do that

Mark:usflag:

bobbycat02
01-31-2010, 03:58 PM
no just talking about the new snapper pro line my experience was with a 48 hydro mower another landscaper i know bought a 36 no problems as far as i know just trying to be helpful on what I've experienced in 16 yrs of bussiness and no question is stupid

Shasta Lake Landscaping
01-31-2010, 04:16 PM
How is stability on hills? As good as a belt drive? How about braking, can you lock a wheel up? Also, can it push a sulky in reverse?

MarkTodd2233
01-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks, the lawn care I am starting is going to be an ad own to my pest control, I have about 5 hours a day free time of a 12 hour day to do this, also my 15 year old wants to get into it. I figure I can do about 4 a day and some on the weekdays, Not sure if I want to get bigger due to I have went through 14 employees in 6 years in the pest control, so it will just be me & and my son.

also was looking @ Echo weedeater, blower, edger, & honda self prepelled 21 inch cut for $5700.00 with tax,, figured that was enough to start off with

Mark

bobbycat02
01-31-2010, 05:51 PM
the 48 is very heavy i have one property thay has a big hill i will drive across it but i would walk it instead of ride it it will pull a sulky in any direction I've haven 't used the 36 so i can't comment on that one I'm sure its pretty heavy.the 48 has a great parking brake stop an turns on a dime great cuts in almost any conditions.for some one starting out i would go with echo trimmer and echo hand blower and snapper self propelled mower 21 homeowner grade is fine just take care of it if its just you and your son are using it will last you can get one for about 549.00 any commercial 21 will cost 800 to 1200 to much to spend just starting out

bobbycat02
01-31-2010, 05:58 PM
the price diff between the 36 and 48 was about 400 dollars so i went with the bigger mower eng 17 hp on 48 13 hp 0n 36 i dont know why snapper wont put a 15 hp on a 36 most mfg put the higher hp becauce briggs and straton own snapper ,feriss,and a couple of others

MarkTodd2233
01-31-2010, 07:07 PM
didnt think about hand blower,,, make since,,,

Thanks

Mark

touhey33
01-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Did anyone notice the new snapper sw30. Its just like the ferris comfort control, comes in 52 and 61" decks. I have the 52 ferris comfort control, and Im going to be getting a new walkbehind, I think I may get the 61 SW30 the 20 hp is someting like 5199. They also have a 26 hp 61".

bobbycat02
01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
yes they are almost the same feriss is a little more money a few design differences snapper a little cheaper 3999.95 not sure what the Ferris is check the web sites snapper pro.com feriss.com the Ferris hydro model has a b&s vanguard eng snapper has a Kawasaki i would go with Kawasaki Eng just my preference

Shasta Lake Landscaping
02-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah, sw30 looks great for the price. If my sw20 impresses I'll be sure to get one.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
02-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Pick mine up on Thursday, pretty excited. Now Im just waiting for spring.

MarkTodd2233
02-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Well I went with the S50 48, due to it was only $250.00 more then the 36, gave me a deal since I bought all the equipment there,,Walk Out Price, $5918.68

Echo SticK Edger (Comm)
Echo Stick Trimmer (Comm)
Snapper S50 48 (Comm)
Echo Blower (Comm)
Honda walk behind (SP)

:usflag:

Shasta Lake Landscaping
02-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Oh, ZTR. Im talking about a walk behind. Congrats tho! Much luck!

Shasta Lake Landscaping
02-06-2010, 12:45 PM
I got a sw20 36". Im glad I did, I'll post pics if anyones interested. Anyone have insight on a bagger? I;E Cleanest install, deck going sideways cause of the wight and it being a floating deck?

GreenGiant94
02-06-2010, 07:51 PM
I have a grass gobbler for mine. I like how it works but the fit to the mower is not the best on mine. I was concerned about my deck lifting up too but I dont have much trouble with it. So far when im mostly picking up leaves it has been fine. I have not had to bag all grass yet and im not sure how it will work.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
02-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks, Why isnt the fit the best? The install or just how its made? Where did you get yours and how much was it? Im looking at outdoor power equipment warehouse there $200.

Larson Lawn Care
03-05-2010, 08:16 PM
I just bought one... I pick it up on wednesday, it will be replacing a 36" John Deere and will 100% better.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
03-28-2010, 12:32 AM
You'll love it, I love mine.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
04-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Well, I've been using the 36" for a month, and have racked up about 50hrs, each one impressing me more then the previous. It discharges well, and has very good vacuum, plus it lays some nice stripes! I thought the 13hp would not be underpowered but it has more then enough horses. Handling and hillside control is also superb, very powerful and maneuverable. The only two things I wish were different is having to change between pulleys if you go above 3", which is not a huge hassle, and length, I wish it was a little shorter, two minor issues though.

ed2hess
04-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Well, I've been using the 36" for a month, and have racked up about 50hrs, each one impressing me more then the previous. It discharges well, and has very good vacuum, plus it lays some nice stripes! I thought the 13hp would not be underpowered but it has more then enough horses. Handling and hillside control is also superb, very powerful and maneuverable. The only two things I wish were different is having to change between pulleys if you go above 3", which is not a huge hassle, and length, I wish it was a little shorter, two minor issues though.

WOW....popping that belt between the top and bottom on that pulley is very easy and this unit is pretty darn short for a floating deck machine. Get ready for you hydro change because you probably won't like that. They could eliminate changing the belt like all the others and wear the belt out soon ....I like the design and I like the mower a lot just hope the transaxles hold up.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
04-25-2010, 04:26 PM
True, it is easy. And the awesome handling makes up for length. Already did the break in hydro oil change, didn't have any troubles, very easy. I like it a lot too. As for the transaxles, the zt-3100 is becoming a popular model on entry level ZTR's, like the bob-cat fast cat pro, the heaviest being 840lbs. The sw20 only wieghs 550lbs.

STL Cuts
08-28-2010, 01:12 PM
I picked up a 48" Snapper Pro SW20 last month and in the brief time I've used it I really think its a great machine, espescially at the price point.

Pulls a velke fine, pretty good stripes, and I like the handles as well.

I would recommend the SW 20 to anyone in the market looking for a good walk behind.

ed2hess
08-28-2010, 09:05 PM
We only ran into one little problem when jumping curbs. We use a board but if you forget and back down the curb it can drag that rear guard and force it up against the controls. The net is you suddenly lose ability to turn on one side and you know that can be a real experience if you aren't expecting it. I just don't see a way to fix it yet.