PDA

View Full Version : Business Start up

billybob358
01-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the site and would like to draw on anyone's experience in starting up an organic lawn care company for fertilization etc. My biggest problem so far is trying to find out what works in the world of advertising your new company? Local newspaper print ads, flyers in local papers, door hangers or post cards dropped off at target areas. So many opportunities and so little money!

Any guidance would be really appreciated especially if anyone can put numbers to the different methods used. I live in Toronto so the spring April/May will be the target months when everyone is outside after a long winter.

Secondly does everyone use credit cards as a method of recieving payment? I have heard some companies around here accept cheque only due to the high credit card charges.

Cheers and Thank You

SangerLawn
01-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Welcome to the site

There is no sure way to advertise. With little money I recommend going door to door. Most of the time this is best anyway since you can target where you get customers and it doesn’t have any out of pocket expense.

You want to be talking to people before it is time to start. If April is spring time for you then you need to start talking to people in March

Most companies in the US take checks and not credit cards.

Pristine PM
01-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Good luck, it is hard to compete with the big guys though. Weed man was already around my house this week selling! I asked them if they bothered to look at my lettered truck in the driveway.

organiclawncanada
12-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Welcome to Lawnsite. Good Luck with your venture. I agree with Sanger on his recommendations.

billybob358
12-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Yes I think going door to door in selected areas is the way to go. It is cost effective and interactive.

Cheers

organiclawncanada
12-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Find a specific area in Toronto that you want to operate and try to get as many customers grouped together as you can. Cut down your driving time as much as possible. Another suggestion would be to go to the Congress Show in January and get to know some of the suppliers in the industry, specifically the Green section. I will be there in a booth working. Also if you want book a seat at the IPM Symposium on Jan. 10,2011 and you will learn a lot about the current legal weed control products allowed in Ontario.

billybob358
12-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Thank you for the advice. Actually I have a ticket for the Wednesday January 12Th. Can you email me your name and company so that I can come by and introduce myself.

Cheers,

Bill
willc3@rogers.com

Tim Vipond
12-16-2010, 02:38 PM
I advertise all my organic fertilizer customers for free. Contact me if interested.

JD-Dolfan
12-21-2010, 02:00 PM
I can tell you from operating other small business companies that credit cards can be very costly. especially if you only deal in a small amount of transactions. You will be charged a fee for swiping them. Then expect them to keep about 5%, even more for Am Ex. It's not worth it. People will pay by check.