PDA

View Full Version : Toro Blues

Home-turf
01-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I bought a brand new Toro Z-master 528 last summer and I am really un-happy with it. It has a 60" deck and a 28hp kawi engine. I also have a Scag Turftiger 61" cut. The scag cuts awsome lines but this new toro has a deck that is offset to the left, unlike the TT with a centered deck. Long story short when you line your wheel marks up with your previous pass the deck sticks over and lifts that grass up so your lines look like crap. Anybody have any ideas? Please dont say stripping kit, that wont solve the problem. Anybody looking for a toro, its for sale with only 3.5hrs on it. Im new on this site, thanks for the input.

qualitylawnpro
01-23-2010, 03:21 PM
ive got the same mower i dont like the offset deck! but its a helluva mower!

Home-turf
01-23-2010, 03:26 PM
It is a very nice unit, but honostly, its no scag. I tried saving a buck and I am unhappy, but yes, good machine otherwise.

FastMan
01-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Yikes, Home-Turf, that's too bad. Speaks to the importance of demo'ing

betmr
01-23-2010, 04:22 PM
I believe the idea behind the offset deck, is for mowing around things a bit better. Like phone poles, Hydrants, planting beds, and walls. Have three TOROs, decks all offset, no problems. I guess it comes down to what you're used to.

Pennington Lawncare
01-23-2010, 04:28 PM
The decks aren't offset are they? Just the front left tire is moved in a little to allow you to cut up against obstacles more easily on the left side of the deck. I think Bob-Cat offers a widetrack kit to replace the front left axle piece if I really wanted to have the front tires lined up in front of the rear tires. Maybe Toro offers it too unless it's a one piece system.

HenryB
01-23-2010, 04:32 PM
The decks aren't offset are they? Just the front left tire is moved in a little to allow you to cut up against obstacles more easily on the left side of the deck. I think Bob-Cat offers a widetrack kit to replace the front left axle piece if I really wanted to have the front tires lined up in front of the rear tires. Maybe Toro offers it too unless it's a one piece system.

How's your 33hp Generac holding up? Has it clocked many hours?

Pennington Lawncare
01-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I don't have but, around 200 hours on it. It did burn a little oil during the first 100 hours but, after it's gotten broken in good the oil level hasn't dropped since. I can't imagine cutting with a less powerful engine after running this Generac. I used to have a 21 hp Kawi on a Cub Cadet and that thing was pitifully slow in thick grass and the Bob-Cat just shoots the clippings out 2 and 3 rows over and you don't have to slow down for much..

Home-turf
01-23-2010, 06:00 PM

They are, about 5.5 " to the left, and 2.5" on the right.

Home-turf
01-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Yikes, Home-Turf, that's too bad. Speaks to the importance of demo'ing

Very true, he didnt have a demo to try, my own fault I guess. One thing I do know is I will only buy scag.

doubleedge
01-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Heavily offset decks such as the bigger toro decks also scalp more on uneven ground.

joecollins
01-23-2010, 09:00 PM
i have 4 toros 48 48 52 60inch and i love them but i dont worry to muc about stripping our grass dont leave muc of one down here...unless we overseed