PDA

View Full Version : Large scale concrete slab removal??

KrayzKajun
01-23-2010, 06:03 PM
well as most of you know ive been tryin to venture into the heavy equipment work more and sub out all my lawns.

in 2005 hurricane katrina wiped out alot of house in the New Orleans Metro area.well the money has finaly gone threw to demo all the trashed houses and slabs.

i have been contacted to take on a small portion of the slabs the homes sat on.they are in sections of 100 slabs at a time at $600 a slab to remove them all 100 slabs are in the same neighborhood.(walking distance of each other.)

im lookin at set work for the next 6-15months in removing slabs. have made some good contacts on getting a fairly decent sized excavator with a breaker.

after we remove concrete, must put a light layer of sand and grass seed.

looks like i may have found my big break in getting into the demo business like i wanted.

Junior M
01-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Good luck buddy!

Going to work the Mustang for a while longer then get a CTL once you get this work?

KrayzKajun
01-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Good luck buddy!

Going to work the Mustang for a while longer then get a CTL once you get this work?

oh yeah!!:weightlifter:

stuvecorp
01-23-2010, 06:12 PM
How thick are the slabs?

tmf lawn care
01-23-2010, 06:13 PM
cool bro just get a good size backhoe with a hammer. can damo. that slab then loand it on the truck too :usflag:

curtisfarmer
01-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Probably don't need a breaker. The slabs down there are just floaters I think, no deep footings. Any excvator should be able to tear them up and break them no problem. Even if there is a short frost wall, no problem.

AWJ Services
01-23-2010, 06:43 PM
well as most of you know ive been tryin to venture into the heavy equipment work more and sub out all my lawns.

in 2005 hurricane katrina wiped out alot of house in the New Orleans Metro area.well the money has finaly gone threw to demo all the trashed houses and slabs.

i have been contacted to take on a small portion of the slabs the homes sat on.they are in sections of 100 slabs at a time at $600 a slab to remove them all 100 slabs are in the same neighborhood.(walking distance of each other.)

im lookin at set work for the next 6-15months in removing slabs. have made some good contacts on getting a fairly decent sized excavator with a breaker.

after we remove concrete, must put a light layer of sand and grass seed.

looks like i may have found my big break in getting into the demo business like i wanted.

That does not sound very appealing.
Who removes the concrete from the property?

Blue Goose
01-23-2010, 06:46 PM
What's your disposal plan for the broken concrete?

bobcatexc
01-23-2010, 07:33 PM
I sure hope your not going to have demo, haul off concrete, import dirt and spread, seed on each lot for $600. I'd also like to know what size the pads are?

You don't need a breaker to do this, why does everybody think they need a breaker???

ksss
01-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't think there is enough information to say if a breaker is absolutely needed on this job. However I seldom pull concrete without one. Much easier on the machines when the concrete is broke. It is nice being able to break around openings and sensitive areas without swinging a sledge. The best reason though is sometimes 4" concrete isn't or its reinforced, having a breaker on the job means you don't have issues no matter what you might run across.

The houses I saw on the TV from down there looked like less than a 1000 square feet. That mean 2.5 triaxle dumps for me. depending on where the concrete had to go and the cost to dump if there is one, $600 dollars may be ok. Add in buying sand, trucking of sand (unless it is an easy back haul spreading and seeding, the deal starts getting thin. But hey, its work. I just would not be spending a lot of money trying to accomplish this project.

curtisfarmer
01-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Bringing in raw slab concrete costs about $100+ per 10 wheeler load to a pit with a crusher, no rebar peicis accepted. Crushers up here cost about $20-30k month depending on setup, but you need to have a market for the material as it comes off the belt, or you need to have a machine at the pile to laod it out over time. Crushed concrete sells for $7-9 per ton up here. If you are just demoing the slab and you don't have to worry about "detail" work around things you want to save (other foundation sections, water lines, driveways,...) you could save some $ by just "man handling it". Get a big rock or ball and use that to bust stuff under 3-4' chunks for loading out. Sounds cheap to me, depends on volume. Onsite crusher, hopefully by the yard or by set contract and not by month, use it to build up the pad and save some $. "Build" your contract value with the reclaimed materials.

BTW, crushed concrete does not perk well, so check the details on that.

KrayzKajun
01-23-2010, 09:03 PM
thanks for all the info. guy called me back to say they reworked the number to $900 a slab.

also anyone ever run a Cat E70B excavator??

stuvecorp
01-23-2010, 09:04 PM
$900 is better.:)

bobcat_ron
01-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Find a 4 foot round river rock somewhere and use it like a redneck wrecking ball, makes concrete tear out fun.

Blue Goose
01-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Anybody know how deep the footings are on a slab house in New Orleans?

jimmyjack
01-23-2010, 09:47 PM
thanks for all the info. guy called me back to say they reworked the number to $900 a slab.

also anyone ever run a Cat E70B excavator??

never ran one but if thats what your gonna use i think its a little small to do it in a timely fashion, think its the size of a 312

backhoe
01-23-2010, 10:34 PM
never ran one but if thats what your gonna use i think its a little small to do it in a timely fashion, think its the size of a 312

I Believe it's about half the size of a 312.

bobcatexc
01-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Not to put you down Krazy but a few weeks ago you where on here trying to decide on what size mini to rent to dig a little grease trap, know your bidding on a $90,000 project with I assume little knowledge or experience - WTF!! I realize some are on here to learn and share and we all have had to learn at some point but you might want to have your ducks in a row for a project like this.

This is a nice little project for no more details than you have given us. I don't know your territory like dumpsites, borrow pits, and how grass will grow on sand but I would get serious and rent a 160-200 size machine for a month, a guy could easly knock out 3-4 slabs in a 8hr day assuming like KSSS what size house it is. You would definatley what to be organized and have trucks, material ready to knock it out.

Gravel Rat
01-23-2010, 10:44 PM
On a Canadian show Holmes on Homes not sure if you guys have it on the tv in the USA.

Anyhow they did a house down in New Orleans through the Brad Pitt foundation. Anyhow they had a person a black American guy with a old beat up 20 ton Cat machine tore up and removed the old foundations. I think it was slab on grade it busted up easy.

I think for what you want to do a 16-20 ton machine would be the best along with your skid steer. Bust up the old concrete and load it out with the excavator and use the skid steer for what ever grading or clean up needed.

Again from the show man when it rains down there the ground turns into a mud pit. It showed the zoom boom forkift fighting the mud and stuck. I can't imagine what would happen with a wheeled skid.

Concrete is like chalk it is fairly brittle if there isn't much rebar it should bust up easy.

AWJ Services
01-23-2010, 11:03 PM
The soil is sandy there so I expect the footers to be 24 inch wide with a mono slab design. Unless they are very old the footers will have rebar. I will guess that it will be at least 45 yards of concrete per slab if they are in the 1000-1500 sq/ft size.
Trucks here go for 75 an hour and expect to take 4 loads per slab if you break it up small. A cat size 70 will not be big enough to do these fast enough to make money. You will need something to load the trucks as well. A skid loader will just slow things down and if you break and load with the excavator you will be screwed. I expect 60+ tons of material per slab and here it will take about 300 bucks dump fee. So unless you can dump for free there is no way you can make these numbers work. If you owned all the equipment you could probably make payroll and keep your guys working.

Good Luck

Caterkillar
01-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Another thing to think about on commercial jobs is cash flow. If it is 90k job with a 20% return... can you sit on 70k for 3 months? Do you have access to 70k? Can you lose 70k without losing your house?

Like the other guys said, disposal will make or break the job.

ksss
01-23-2010, 11:55 PM
For some outside of the box idea, maybe find an area that you could take the concrete to and crush it for fill. I would have to believe that somewhere in that shithole they could use some fill. Might even get paid for the cushed by product.

ksss
01-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Another thing to think about on commercial jobs is cash flow. If it is 90k job with a 20% return... can you sit on 70k for 3 months? Do you have access to 70k? Can you lose 70k without losing your house?

Like the other guys said, disposal will make or break the job.

I agree it sounds like this might be a big job for the type of operation Krazy seems to have. You only get one chance to make a good impression. If you take this on, don't dick it up. I would as suggested bring in some iron and get it done. Be sure you can trust who you are working for. Getting stuck with this one would likely sink a guy.

KrayzKajun
01-24-2010, 12:17 AM
I agree it sounds like this might be a big job for the type of operation Krazy seems to have. You only get one chance to make a good impression. If you take this on, don't dick it up. I would as suggested bring in some iron and get it done. Be sure you can trust who you are working for. Getting stuck with this one would likely sink a guy.

thaks man! no signature untill i feel comfy doin the job

MOREDIRT
01-24-2010, 02:39 AM
Keep mowing lawns. The only way you can make money is to pay or beg someone to let you dig a big hole on their property close to where these slabs are and dump the concrete and use the soil for fill. You would need 2 hoes one loading the concrete and one loading the soil at the dump site trucks would need to be hauling both ways. If you can't walk the hoe from one slab to the next I would get a big backhoe or wheeled hoe.

I would run 2 trucks and demo all concrete and have trucks back haul soil I would leave the soil in piles and move to next demo after I finished all demos I would return with a large ctl and straw blower.

With a 160 size hoe I think you could demo five a day.

Rent 2 hoes $8,000
Trucks $26,000
Fuel $2,000
Ctl $600
Labor $8000

If you could do it this way you could make some money but you would need good operators and about 60k in cash to bankroll this until you get paid 90 days later.

curtisfarmer
01-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Call Rick at Pawnstars for the $, tell him you want to pawn 3,000 yards of 3/4" crushed concrete.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

KrayzKajun
01-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Call Rick at Pawnstars for the $, tell him you want to pawn 3,000 yards of 3/4" crushed concrete.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

very funny!

NEUSWEDE
01-24-2010, 03:50 PM
I would say hold out. If they are already comeing up $300 means no one is biting on it so might be worth holding out for money and in the mean time ask to see a example of a site and go there and do a bit of leg work and dig a spot next to the foundation and see how deep it is then be able to calculate how much there will be.

Talk to some cruching companies and see what it would be to come in and crush you could set up a central site crush and then take out. Crushed you will be able to sell off where as if not it isn't as saleable.

curtisfarmer
01-24-2010, 03:58 PM
While not knowing the market down there, I doubt there is a market for off the crusher belt recycled concrete. Usually it is crushed and stockpiled, with amounts drwan from the pile as required. How long will that take? Also, more than likely that ytpe of material is probably readily available with a saturated market from the storm cleanup. If you were doing other work which required that speficic material (crushed concrete is optimum from 3/4" to 6" minus only) you could catch 2 birds with one net.

tnmtn
01-24-2010, 04:10 PM
when i used to work down there i was always amazed by the places i would see Boh Bros. construction working. they were often building roads in the swamps from oyster shells. i imagine they have access to a few crushers and would be interested in some cheap material.
good luck

NEUSWEDE
01-24-2010, 04:22 PM
While not knowing the market down there, I doubt there is a market for off the crusher belt recycled concrete. Usually it is crushed and stockpiled, with amounts drwan from the pile as required. How long will that take? Also, more than likely that ytpe of material is probably readily available with a saturated market from the storm cleanup. If you were doing other work which required that speficic material (crushed concrete is optimum from 3/4" to 6" minus only) you could catch 2 birds with one net.

Im not saying he is going to make money off crushing and selling but might be able to crush and sell and break even and save from trucking off and tipping fees.

Krazy other thing to find out is what payment is like. Because if it is 45 days you might have a lot of money into it before you get a dime so you may have to pay out like 6K in dump fees before you get the money for it so you want to make sure you have a line of credit or a fair amount of cash on hand because I am sure your going to have to go through some hoops to be paid.

curtisfarmer
01-24-2010, 08:19 PM
NEUSWEDE, I knew what you meant, I was just trying to provide some comment & insight into the current crushed concrete market. Like you said, trying to do something with the material is all the better.:)

NEUSWEDE
01-24-2010, 09:03 PM
NEUSWEDE, I knew what you meant, I was just trying to provide some comment & insight into the current crushed concrete market. Like you said, trying to do something with the material is all the better.:)

Figured I would clarify sometimes I think faster than I can type and don't get my point across very well. I figure it is a city that sits under the height of sea level so could be plenty of places for fill. Sometimes not doing the normal might be more complicated but be a more effective way.