PDA

View Full Version : Looking for .dwg examples.

Bugman1400
01-23-2010, 06:06 PM
I have used AutoCAD for years and I am just starting out using LandARCH. Does anybody have a small complete design job that could show me some examples of AutoCAD Blocks, Layout, etc.? A .dwg file would be great.

Much Thanks!!!

PaperCutter
01-24-2010, 10:50 AM
look on www.cben.net . It'll take some digging, but if you look under the plant blocks you'll also find where people have posted entire site plans to share.

Bugman1400
01-24-2010, 06:38 PM
I've looked over that website before. I am looking for just landscape design dwgs in the good ole U.S. of A.

AGLA
01-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Do you want to snag the blocks out of them, or just study the drawing techniques?

Bugman1400
01-24-2010, 10:13 PM
I guess both. I would like to learn how to use and modify the blocks to make new ones. But, I also would like to learn how to draw the design. Up to now, I've done only electrical dwgs. Eventually, I would like to design the landscaping of my house and yard.

AGLA
01-25-2010, 08:27 AM
You have been using autocad for years and you don't know how to make use and modify blocks? I would recommend taking a night class on the basics of Autocad to start with. They'll teach you how to use many of the tools. Once you know the basics, getting a landscape plan together is a matter of following the same techniques of hand drawing but using acad to get it done.
Do you know how to assign lineweights to line color for printing?
Do you know how to edit polylines?
Having a finished dwg is not going to show you how to make what is in it. It won't show assigned lineweights (that is a separate file). You can pick off the plant blocks, or detail sketches, but some of those are protected by copyright.

The most important things in drawing landscape plans are drawing your plant symbols at the right size and spacing, controlling your lineweights, and good annotation with reasonable text size. All of that (and making and manipulating blocks) would be taught in any basic acad class. You'll pull your hair out trying to figure it out on your own.

Programs like Dynascape or Vectorworks set up lineweights, symbols, and annotation for you so that you don't have to go through the learning curve of autocad.

Bugman1400
01-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Yes, I can do line weights and blocks. I would rather work with existing landscaping blocks than to generate brand new ones.

If you don't want to be helpful then maybe you should just keep your comments to yourself and let somebody else help. You can save the negativity for your wife.

Anybody else have a old design dwg that I could play with?

AGLA
01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm trying to be helpful. I'm asking you questions that would give me a better understanding of what you are looking for in order for me to give you some things that I don't mind giving up. You are reading negativity into it that is not there.

"I would like to learn how to use and modify the blocks to make new ones. But, I also would like to learn how to draw the design."

I was going to send you a whole lot of pdfs of plans and some detailed instructions on how to do a few things, but you just messed that up.

Bugman1400
01-25-2010, 02:21 PM
You have been using autocad for years and you don't know how to make use and modify blocks? I would recommend taking a night class on the basics of Autocad to start with.

This is what I took as negative. However, if you sincerely did not intend it that way then my apologies. Regardless, I was looking for DWG files so I could spend more playing with the dwg rather than having to re-draw from a PDF.

Thanks anyway.:)