PDA

View Full Version : Got cleaned out

TREEGUARD
01-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Wednesday i got a call from a friend said my door on my storage container was open. I rush down to the yard on to find that i got cleaned out of about 10 grand worth of equipment. I called the cops (what a wast of time) to file a report & they tell me if they here any thing they'll call. Not a good way to start off a new year.

Cummins343
01-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Sorry to hear that man. The cops can't do a whole lot in this situation. They've got no leads, no surveillance footage, no I witness. What do you want them to do?

Bustedblade
01-23-2010, 07:04 PM
cops are useless, I'm sitting here with my bud, who is a PI
here is what to do:
Stuff does not vaporize, tell the storage people, ask who has recently rented a unit, they might have seen something or they might be guilty.
Check e-bay, craigs list etc,
post a wanted ad, for similar stuff that was taken.
Call other businesses, see if anyone has offered them stuff for sale.
Check the ad boards in supermarkets, they are a hotbed of stolen stuff.
Look around the area, see if anything is stashed
Have a discussion with a detective in the area, they know who the bad guys are
check ads in spring for new lawn services
check consignment shops

hope you nab them, I hate people who steal!
Posted via Mobile Device

T.M. LAWNS
01-23-2010, 08:33 PM
cops are useless, I'm sitting here with my bud, who is a PI
here is what to do:
Stuff does not vaporize, tell the storage people, ask who has recently rented a unit, they might have seen something or they might be guilty.
Check e-bay, craigs list etc,
post a wanted ad, for similar stuff that was taken.
Call other businesses, see if anyone has offered them stuff for sale.
Check the ad boards in supermarkets, they are a hotbed of stolen stuff.
Look around the area, see if anything is stashed
Have a discussion with a detective in the area, they know who the bad guys are
check ads in spring for new lawn services
check consignment shops

hope you nab them, I hate people who steal!
Posted via Mobile Device

Those are all good tips Busted blade, I can't stand people who steal either! I hope TreeGuard finds his equipment.

Bustedblade
01-23-2010, 08:38 PM
I'd like to take credit for em but my bud here is a pro and knows his stuff, he nabs em all, from cheating wives to insurance scammers and everyone inbetween!
Plus he has cool toys, like a camera that can take pictures of your nose hairs from half a mile away!!
Posted via Mobile Device

TREEGUARD
01-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the idea about the supermarket thing i check craigs list & ebay every day

Bustedblade
01-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Check also for similar stuff, sometimes they are smart enough to change things just a little to throw off the cops, like they'll advertise a 48" as a 42" etc.
Hope you nab em!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jake99
02-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Think about where you can go to get a good deal on your stuff. They will most likely turn your stuff back into money. Alot people not working, they stealing. Won't take long, move fast onit. Hope ya findit.

Jake99
02-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Oh yeah, Ryobi has a really cool motion sensor for about 40 dollars. Gettit at lumber yards. Really loud. Might help ya for next time. I doubt calling 911 will help. Didn't help me. They can't find their own stuff, how they gonna find yours?

JohnnyRocker
02-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Didn't your insurance cover it? Mine would if that happened to me. I wish the worst for those thugs. This is a good example also why to have good insurance on your equipment. Good luck.

MarcSmith
02-01-2010, 09:20 AM
would you mind posting detail of what types of locks you had on the storage site. so that way we know what kind of locks NOT to buy... and maybe pics of the busted lock... Ie was cut with a bolt cutters or some sort of grinder???

nobagger
02-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Man that sucks! What a pita this must be. Hopefully your insured. We have some of our stuff in a storage facility and I had my reservations about leaving it there but fortunately 1 or 2 of the owners are cops so it get checked quite often.

nobagger
02-01-2010, 12:15 PM
would you mind posting detail of what types of locks you had on the storage site. so that way we know what kind of locks NOT to buy... and maybe pics of the busted lock... Ie was cut with a bolt cutters or some sort of grinder???

Good thought. I see a lot of the units where we have some stuff stored and all they have is a regular pad lock. We use 2 Master Lock's I'm not sure of the model but they are round, all weather and made of hard chrome. Its made out of the same stuff our old trailer tongue lock was made out of and I remember trying to cut through it with a hacksaw...no chance in hell. Then we tried a air grinder....went through about 4 or 5 discs and only got 1/4 through it. We finally found the key and sprayed the crap out of it for a day and then the key finally worked. But near impossible to cut through.

MarcSmith
02-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I have to cut bike locks every year. and an 18v dewalt die grinder with an abrasive cut-off disc has never failed to open an lock or chain..., even the hardened cables, square chains and krypro U locks...

Ideally get the fattest shackle you can find. the longer it takes them to remove the lock the better your chances of them moving on to someone else...

the insurance is great, but no matter what after you get something stolen you still feel violated...

Stevegotcrabgrass
02-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Hey Tree Guard,
I am from Long Island as well, if you want to PM me or post what it was I can keep an eye out too. I am in suffolk county near port jefferson.

mini14
02-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Sorry treeguard.. wheres your storage yard ? so i know to stay away from that area. do u have insurance ? if u have contractors liability u might have equipment coverage built into the policy with a small deductible.

mictrik
02-02-2010, 04:19 AM
Sorry to hear that, I hope you somehow get your equipment back.

Stevegotcrabgrass
02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
My insurance has $5000 worth of equipment built in with a small deductible. Check your policy. The storage yard might be able to help too. They might be able to put in a claim with their insurance company.

NorthTXlawnguy
02-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Damn thieves. If I cought em it would be all I could do to keep from shooting them...first in the toe, and then work my way up slowly....Did I mention I hate thieves?

froglawn
02-09-2010, 07:28 PM
doesnt your storage facility have security cameras??? sorry about your loss dude

360ci
02-09-2010, 10:29 PM
doesnt your storage facility have security cameras??? sorry about your loss dude

My thought exactly. Most of the storage areas around me require a card, and have MULTIPLE cameras on every square foot of the premise.

It's definitely ballsy for someone to take anything that they didn't earn. I think it's becoming more prominent. This is the "move-back" generation. Even some of my 20-30 year old friends are moving back in with mom and dad because they think someone's going to call them and offer them a $75K/yr job, and once the reality sets in, they decide to start their own business with other peoples equipment.

A good thief wouldn't sell your merchandise right away. They'll wait a while, assuming you reported it stolen, they might even repaint it, put different decals on it (different company that sells something similar) and sell it in 3-8 months from now just so they can break in their new paint job and such. It's amazing what some people will do.

I used to get break-ins and attempted robberies at my service stations on a regular basis. It was a mess to clean up, as it was mostly broken glass, but the alarm generally scares them away as I had it hooked up to a megaphone placed right outside the kiosk. Watching the video's I always get a good laugh. Most they ever made off with was with some gum and other small items.

THEGOLDPRO
02-09-2010, 10:32 PM
this is why i have full replacement coverage on everyhting i own.

TREEGUARD
02-17-2010, 11:40 PM
they didn't cut the lock they cut the door off i guess they tought it was easier. Just herd from the ins. company today they are covering me for all lost equipment. thank god i reall didn't want to start out a new year in a huge hole.

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 06:01 PM
this is why i have full replacement coverage on everyhting i own.

Nice to know...exactly where in Southbury are you? :p

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 06:05 PM
sometimes i dream of being cleaned out so i can get all new equipment.

nepatsfan
02-28-2010, 06:10 PM
sometimes i dream of being cleaned out so i can get all new equipment.

How much would you get from the insurance company for your stuff 5 grand? Sorry tree man.

THEGOLDPRO
02-28-2010, 06:11 PM
maybe 2 grand it would be a bargain none the less.

TREEGUARD
03-01-2010, 07:53 AM
i got enough to replace most of the stuff taken but it still will cost me a couple of grand out of pocket. Yes i get new equipment but it wasn't worth the stress & headache.