PDA

View Full Version : John Deere brand Harley Rake

AWJ Services
01-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Who makes them?
Are they okay?

ARP
01-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Palladin Brands (Bradco, FFC, etc.) make the majority if not all of John Deere's skidsteer attachments. Though I have not run one myself other than for a few mins at a demo, I have not heard anything bad about them.

ConstSvcs
01-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Palladin Brands (Bradco, FFC, etc.) make the majority if not all of John Deere's skidsteer attachments. Though I have not run one myself other than for a few mins at a demo, I have not heard anything bad about them.

I have a CAT PR190 which is a re-named Harley MX8H and this is also confirmed by the local John Deere dealer which said they re-label Harley rakes in the same manner.

I love my 96" Harley, great investment for a track loader.

JDSKIDSTEER
01-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Cat and Deere are both re-branded Harley's

Treemow
01-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Who makes them?
Are they okay?

I rented an 84" here last summer. They are the cats meow when it comes to seed bed preparation. I believe they are of Harley make. They leave a very smooth finish.

Digdeep
01-23-2010, 09:54 PM

Palidan bought Harley about two years ago.

all ferris
01-23-2010, 10:31 PM
do your self a favor and go look at the Edge products rake and the Bobcat soil conditioner. Both of these are built heavier than the Harley brand. The thing I don't like about the Harley rake is the gear box, and it seems like all the parts are smaller than the 2 I mentioned.

ConstSvcs
01-23-2010, 11:12 PM
do your self a favor and go look at the Edge products rake and the Bobcat soil conditioner. Both of these are built heavier than the Harley brand. The thing I don't like about the Harley rake is the gear box, and it seems like all the parts are smaller than the 2 I mentioned.
Certainly not more heavy duty than the Harley Mx8H............when you step up to a 8' power rake the unit is really severe duty level.

coopers
01-23-2010, 11:33 PM
JDskidsteer,

The first thing I see in the sea of text on every thread you're on is that damn avatar. hahaha. I love it.

JDSKIDSTEER
01-24-2010, 07:31 AM
JDskidsteer,

The first thing I see in the sea of text on every thread you're on is that damn avatar. hahaha. I love it.

I like to change it up every once and a while...That's my baby picture.

all ferris
01-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Certainly not more heavy duty than the Harley Mx8H............when you step up to a 8' power rake the unit is really severe duty level.

Bobcats soil conditioner is built better. I've used them all and I prefer the Bobcat one. When I'm using the harley brand I feel like the front wheels are going to break off if I put the weight of the machine on them. Bobcat has a much heavier mounting system for the training wheels and they don't have that leaky gear box.

Kiowa Scout
01-24-2010, 10:13 AM
I have a Cat PR172 rake. Are you guys sure it was
built by Harley.

If that is the case, I'm going to compare
parts pricing between Cat and Harley.

ConstSvcs
01-24-2010, 10:38 AM
I have a Cat PR172 rake. Are you guys sure it was
built by Harley.

If that is the case, I'm going to compare
parts pricing between Cat and Harley.

Yes.........positive :)

ConstSvcs
01-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Does the first one look familiar... beside the decals???

Notice how much beefier the wheels are on the Mx8 version........

(Images from the manufacturers site)

Kiowa Scout
01-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Yep, that's my rake with different stickers.

Last fall I installed new bearing assemblies
with parts from Cat. They came packaged
in neat little Cat boxes and Cat bags.

I wonder what the Cat mark-up was? ;)

JB1
01-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Yep, that's my rake with different stickers.

Last fall I installed new bearing assemblies
with parts from Cat. They came packaged
in neat little Cat boxes and Cat bags.

I wonder what the Cat mark-up was? ;)

don't check, it'll just piss you off.

Skidsteerman
01-25-2010, 03:04 PM

Have you had a gear box failure with the Deere/Harley brand power rakes? We've never had any issues with any sold or rented through here.

Only problems I've seen was on the very early models... say ten years ago?!? The frame work and caster wheels assy needed to be built heavier and they stepped up to that making it a much beefier unit.

I had one goober that tried using one of our rental units about 8 years ago as a dozer blade:rolleyes:Was no happy with the repair bill for that. what part of "this is a finish final grade tool" didn't he understand?

There is a learning curve for these and I've been able to come up with a few tips to help with that and help with the over all job finish results.

dozerman21
01-25-2010, 06:47 PM
I have the 96" rake from Deere/Harley. It's the only one I've ever used, but it's built heavy and leaves a great finished finish on dirt or stone.

Digdeep
01-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Have you had a gear box failure with the Deere/Harley brand power rakes? We've never had any issues with any sold or rented through here.

Only problems I've seen was on the very early models... say ten years ago?!? The frame work and caster wheels assy needed to be built heavier and they stepped up to that making it a much beefier unit.

I had one goober that tried using one of our rental units about 8 years ago as a dozer blade:rolleyes:Was no happy with the repair bill for that. what part of "this is a finish final grade tool" didn't he understand?

There is a learning curve for these and I've been able to come up with a few tips to help with that and help with the over all job finish results.

Guys used to always blow the tire beads on them too so we starting puting tubes in them immediately upon delivery.

curtisfarmer
01-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Dozerman21, or anyone else.....anyone use teir powerrake alot for gravel drives? How does it hold up? I do a boat load of gravel road grading every year using rear blades and rakes and always wondered. Thanks.

dozerman21
01-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Dozerman21, or anyone else.....anyone use teir powerrake alot for gravel drives? How does it hold up? I do a boat load of gravel road grading every year using rear blades and rakes and always wondered. Thanks.

I haven't used mine very much, but it's worked great on the gravel drives that I've put in or added stone to. I don't always bring it for those jobs, it just depends on what I'm doing. I only use mine on smaller stone (crushed 53's). Some guys even use them for a base stone like a #2 or #4, but I do all the bulk spreading and grading with the bucket and just use the rake to leave a nice finish with clean edges. I think as long as it's not used like a dozer blade and if you stay away from bigger base stone, it should hold up.