PDA

View Full Version : Workmen's Compensation

Cuttingedgeny
01-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey, I'm pretty new to this site, but from what I see it has a bunch of great info from alot of great people. My question was who do you guys use for your workmen's comp and what do you pay. I'm looking to get into more commercial, and I know I need it to continue. My company has only 1or 2 employee's besides me. Thanks for the help

Ken Orefice
Cutting Edge Lawn Service
CuttingEdgeNY@gmail.com

SangerLawn
01-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I believe it is called star insurance. It’s a company state farm in our area uses. We use state farm for everything and they directed us to star….cant remember prices though…sorry

Contact state farm and they should be able to give you more info.

vanncann
01-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Got mine through local insurance agent for about $750 a year.

AzLawnMan
01-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Most workmans comp is based off your payroll, and what type of services you provide. If you do tree work and have a chipper, it goes way up. But if your just landscape maint. then you should be able to get it for around $100 a month. I pay for more coverage accross the board, I pay $825 a month for my Bond, full auto on 7 trucks, and workmans comp. I was with state farm and paying $1k a month. I use Secura Insurance here in Az and I get double the coverage I had with AM FAM for less money. So shop around. Do what customers do to us, get several bids and compare them on paper and ask lots of questions.

elite lawns
01-23-2010, 11:36 PM
We pay 7.16 for every $100 here in oklahoma. The company is comp source

Cuttingedgeny
01-24-2010, 01:47 PM
wow, ok great thanks guys. Seems like I have a bunch of calls to make. But this stuff is so expensive..

AzLawnMan
01-24-2010, 08:39 PM
It is expensive, but how expensive do you think it would be if one of your guys gets hurt with a major injury? Before I bought the company my dad ran it without work comp for many years, he always said it kepted him up at night. I didnt want that, so its the first thing I did. Also any major Property Mang. Company will require you to have it. So if you eventually want commercial jobs, just bite the bullet and get it.

SangerLawn
01-24-2010, 09:42 PM
No joke…..had a guy last year slide down a hill and his foot went into a mower shoot….thank goodness the mower operator was paying attention and shut the mower down with no major injury. If that guy would have lost his foot and I didn’t have workman’s comp and insurance…..i would have lost my house and everything else

AdamChrap
01-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Listen to these guys, this is not a place to cut cost.

hackitdown
01-25-2010, 09:01 AM
If you use their payroll service, both ADP and Paychex can set you up with comp, and they handle paying the insurance co. They base the comp fees on payroll anyway, so it makes sense. It is pretty easy.

AI Inc
01-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Hack your in Mass , what do you pay for comp? My buss is in mass and Im at $3.43 per $100.

dryguy
01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Here in MO I pay %5.85 per $100 of payroll

topsites
01-25-2010, 01:11 PM
You'll want to ask around but to my understanding I believe you have to have over a certain
(small) number of employees before you are required to carry workmen's compensation.

It's not a matter of how much or with what company, it's a legal matter and it's as simple as
having a certain number of employees basically requires you to carry it, that's pretty much it.

Unfortunately I'm not sure what the actual number is, could be 4, 5, maybe it's as few as 2-3
and I do believe it includes you, so you'll want to ask the question:

When am I required to carry workmen's compensation according to the number of employees I have?
You might try your local courthouse, the business licensing division.
Now I can't say if they'll have the answer but...

NLSolutions
01-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Im an S corp in MA and it is a state requirement to carry a policy for full time employees. As an officer of a corporation in MA you can opt out with state approval. Cost will vary based on your salary, we pay 5.49% of salary. Not sure about the rules for other forms of business.