PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Business Add ons???

N.TX
01-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Do any of you guys have additional services that you offer your customers that are high in profits. I am expanding my business to add on some other stuff and I want to get some more ideas before I do too much with it and make sure im going in the right direction. I know you can do landscaping ect.... but im talking like specifics niche ideas that really work for you. Thanks in advance for any input.

djchiodo3
01-24-2010, 01:55 AM
I do irrigation service and tree trimming. I did detail clients cars when I first started, but soon was over whelmed just cutting. Know one company that added pool service to his lawn route. Best money is made if you can get your license to treat grass with chemicals. Here in FL you need a license to do turf management and a different license to spray round-up in the beds. Turf lic is not easy to get.

Uponone605
01-24-2010, 04:36 AM
Driveway sealing, virtually no overhead, and very simple.

WildassBaughb
01-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I added lawn & landscape treatments. I am getting customers from the big guys (Lawn Doctor, ChemLawn, etc.) because I know my clients lawns better and can coordinate the treatments with cutting. I am also picking up new clients just for the treatments because they see the results I am getting with my clients. This side of the biz does have more education, licenses and insurance but is worth it because it is very profitable. The average lawn here can be done in 30-40 minutes using $10-20 worth of chemicals for a fee of $55-65. Don't get into the big equipment until you get a lot of accounts. It can all be done with backpack sprayers and small WB (50#) spreaders. Doing more for your current clients is an easy way to increase revenue without major advertising costs.

djchiodo3
01-24-2010, 11:06 AM
I added lawn & landscape treatments. I am getting customers from the big guys (Lawn Doctor, ChemLawn, etc.) because I know my clients lawns better and can coordinate the treatments with cutting. I am also picking up new clients just for the treatments because they see the results I am getting with my clients. This side of the biz does have more education, licenses and insurance but is worth it because it is very profitable. The average lawn here can be done in 30-40 minutes using $10-20 worth of chemicals for a fee of $55-65. Don't get into the big equipment until you get a lot of accounts. It can all be done with backpack sprayers and small WB (50#) spreaders. Doing more for your current clients is an easy way to increase revenue without major advertising costs.

How long did it take you to get your PPO license so you could treat lawns?
Posted via Mobile Device

Daily Lawn/Landscape
01-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Do any of you guys have additional services that you offer your customers that are high in profits. I am expanding my business to add on some other stuff and I want to get some more ideas before I do too much with it and make sure im going in the right direction. I know you can do landscaping ect.... but im talking like specifics niche ideas that really work for you. Thanks in advance for any input.

It's good to see that you realize just cutting grass does'nt make the money. There are several things you can do. Lighting, irrigation,driveway sealing,fert& weed control, paint address on curb, tree maintenance roof/ house wash, window washing, landscape maint.... think of anything outside the home that need attention from the customer and sell it as a service.

Hope this helps,
James

WildassBaughb
01-24-2010, 11:25 AM
License for lawn treatments vary from state to state but it involved taking a course and testing for the license.

Dugann
01-24-2010, 11:53 AM
My landscape maintenance crew takes what I call spin off jobs and takes care of any extra jobs that a property management company in town sends our way. This away my mowing crews dose not have to break stride to take care of these jobs. They just sell them and or take the job request.

Spin off job to me are small high profit jobs and one time jobs that come in from advertising. We try to take care of our customers from lawn maintenance to landscape maintenance and every other outside type job that they might need done. If my boys see something that needs to be done, address, or a need for it they ask the customer. You would be surprised how much extra income that is generated off this.

It is hard depending on how you are set up to take the time to take on these jobs. However so many companies leave so much money on the table by not asking one question "is there anything else that we can help you with.", or by simply seeing something that needs to be done and ignoring it because they don't have the time, because it would get them off schedule. These jobs could pay for LCO to hire another person to preform these type of jobs.

GrassNat
01-24-2010, 02:33 PM
How about holiday lighting? A couple of my customers asked about putting up and taking down decorations for whatever holiday they dress up their house for. Hanging Christmas lights can pad your pocket if you know what you're doing on a ladder in winter weather.....

lawnservice09
01-24-2010, 02:40 PM
I added Roof Cleaning and House Washing to my Business

lawnservice09
01-24-2010, 02:41 PM
You can do a 1000 sq ft roof in about 2 hrs and make 275 dollars

lawnservice09
01-24-2010, 02:42 PM
What is the best way to advertise your lawncare business

david shumaker
01-24-2010, 06:43 PM
I get customers that ask for other services like small repair jobs. power washing, gutter cleaning, deck and fence staining, etc. I like to do the odd jobs in July and August when the grass growth slows down and I'm not as busy. In dry weather these odd jobs provide some income if the grass isn't growing.

Just let your customers know what other services you are capable of providing. I try to charge a reasonable rate so they don't call around for a bunch of estimates.

If I was good at carpentry, I could get alot of extra business. I can do simple jobs around my own house, but I'm too slow to make money at it and if I mess up on my own house it's not like messing up when you're paid to do a good job.

WildassBaughb
01-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Check my posts. I answered that earlier today.

grassman177
01-24-2010, 07:23 PM
i never thought of curb address painting. that could be a good one and super cheap tools for the job. hm m mm

LandscapeSavannah
01-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Pavers and Concrete, Irrigation, Drainage, Grading, Land Clearing, Lighting, Pergolas

SNAPPER MAN
01-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Aside from lawn maintenance we do landscaping, tree trimming and removal, stump grinding, irrigation installs and repairs, and pool maintenance and repairs.

stroker51
01-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Mowing is no doubt our bread and butter, but the lawn apps treat us well, in addition to sprinkler service. This is all maintenance related and not too far outside the box. I think in the next year or two we are going to get into flatwork...concrete sidewalks and driveways, pool service and repair, lighting, whatever other stuff I feel like learning a little more about so I feel comfortable doing it for hire. As soon as I get my loader bought a tree shear is going on to start doing pasture clearing. When I first got into the biz I was going to try and do it all, and learned real quick if you're going to keep customers you have to do what you do very well, so the last few years have been spent trying to fine tune the normal maintenance stuff so we can be in a position to expand into other opportunities.

joecollins
01-24-2010, 08:46 PM
all those ideas above are great...the only i can think of is janitorial. hear at the beach condos are big on that also apartments ...like outside bathrooms at one of my condos it pays 3800 per month plus 700per month to clean 3 bathrooms change out trash and paper towels,,.,,easy easy easy work i mean easy xtra 700 hell yeah il clean a toliet once a week... '' pride will keep your hungry '' '' i aint got no pride when it comes money''

Grnhed
01-24-2010, 10:39 PM

Well, being from North Texas I think you should just close up shop and send me your client list, and I hope you know I'm just teasing and I wish you luck unless your in Allen. If your in Allen I am so screwed its not even funny. *grinnin*

BUT, being here (North Texas too), Its time to prune the crepe myrtles I did one today for $20. I also did a Bradford Pear that was blocking ALL the light from an area on the East side of a new customers house which is the direction it faces. I just picked them up on Friday and she asked me then if I had any suggestions why the grass (St. Augustine creeping in from the neighbors) wasn't growing there. Prune it back mostly just the limbs that kept smackin me in the head when I would skirt it, and few key limbs on its west and south side, $30. She mentioned some sprinkler head issues so I will head over on Tuesday and approach that to the tune of, and I'm guessing here $10 bucks a head???
Since I am new, all my flyers have led with a "special" Spring clean-up leaf removal offer if they JUMP ON IT before January 31. starting at $40. "starting" being the key word.

Good luck to you this season too in all sincerity!
Harry

lawnservice09
01-24-2010, 11:07 PM
I am going to buy another mower this year and was wondering if any body runs a cub cadet for commercial mowing or a toro.If you do how do you like it.Right now i run a hustler.

lawnservice09
01-24-2010, 11:09 PM
What is a good price for house washing,right now i charge .15 a sq ft.

Grnhed
01-24-2010, 11:17 PM
What is a good price for house washing,right now i charge .15 a sq ft.

I am going to buy another mower this year and was wondering if any body runs a cub cadet for commercial mowing or a toro.If you do how do you like it.Right now i run a hustler.

LawnService, now its probably not my place, but, when you ask questions that take away from the original posters question, it kind of robs the original poster sincere desire for some information. Now, not to minimize your need for information either but, its a little more polite and will I bet, get you some information faster as more people will see it faster that way if you will put those questions in a brand new post. Now, once again it wasnt my post nor my business, but I thought you maybe didnt realize what can happen when its like this.

Harry

lawnservice09
01-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Ok ,thanks i didn't realize i was doing it wrong,this is my first day on the site.

Grnhed
01-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Ok ,thanks i didn't realize i was doing it wrong,this is my first day on the site.

U bet, been there done that!