PDA

View Full Version : Winter & Early Spring income?

dyerlawnservice
01-24-2010, 01:45 AM
I live in East Tn so snow pushing is out of the question for me...what are some other services that could be offered in the winter and early spring months? I'd like all input....I know theres always selling firewood which I do but i'm looking for other jobs?

MikeKle
01-24-2010, 01:51 AM
You and me both!! I am so sick of going thru this every winter, trying to find a part time or full time job, and usually not finding much. If I didnt have my rep job, Id be totally broke! I cannot wait til mid march and hopefully early march! I am definitely going to save more money this season, so I dont have to worry about it next winter. There is not much you can offer your customers this time of year anyway, if you can think of any, please post them on here.

scagrider22
01-24-2010, 02:04 AM
I have done retaining walls trough the winter in north east Ohio, and had zero problems with the walls we keep the work area covered with concrete blankets at night to keep our base from freezing we also set up a three sided canopy behind or over our work are to block the wind and we run a ready heater in it, it works pretty good.

WildassBaughb
01-24-2010, 12:22 PM
I don't know how much you are doing for your current clients but here is what I am doing. Leaf collections usually lasts me through December. Next, I am fertilizing (I do lawn treatments year round) and mulching in January & February. Another technique is to offer yearly contracts to be paid monthly or semi-annually. This helps their budget, gives you income in the off months and helps to retain clients because there is only one time per year to consider a change. Do more for your current clients.

dyerlawnservice
01-24-2010, 01:10 PM
thanks for all the input, the mulching and cleanup is very possible right now, as far as the fertilizing goes does it do much good to fertilize when its frosting at least twice to three times a week?

WildassBaughb
01-24-2010, 01:19 PM
You must learn the biz before getting into the lawn treatments. There are conditions and timing to all of it.

topsites
01-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I do a lot of small projects at reduced rates in winter, 1 to 4 hour stuff.
That way I don't get stuck all day someplace when it's nasty out, I can start
the work a little later so it's not all frozen solid and cut out before it gets dark
and the cold drags in...

That and most of the time I get to pick when I go out and do it, too.
It's not bad, most of it is along the lines of menial labor such as brush and leaf cleanups but I do it mostly for something to do.

As for the reduced rates that's the only way I've found to keep the work going this time of the year when the
demand just isn't there, then I get a discount for dumping the stuff this time of year as well, so that helps.

david shumaker
01-24-2010, 07:54 PM
I could use the extra money, but after finishing leaf cleanup in the fall, I don't want alot of work in Jan and Feb. I try to fix stuff around my own house that I keep putting off.