PDA

View Full Version : Paver patio intall questions

stanley2113
01-24-2010, 12:09 PM
The concrete is gone and I will soon be putting the pavers down. This is the first time for me so I have a few questions. The outside wall of my house makes an L and I thought that corner would be the place to start, but then I didn't know how I would get to that corner after the sand is put down.

Should you start against a wall or run a string to mark a straight line and go off of it and trim to match the wall incase the wall isn't straight?

I googled snap edge after reading another thread and their lighted pavers came up. How do those work? Seems like it would be cool to have on the outside of the walkway going to the patio.

Any other tips and tricks would be appreciated!

:)

Here are some pics of the area to be done. They will go from the house to the pool until it gets to the dark spot to the left which is were a deck used to be. We are thinking grass for that area all the way to the fence to have a soft space for the kids. The pavers will also go down the face of the house to make a walk way to the patio.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f311/michael2113/IMG_0923.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f311/michael2113/IMG_0924.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f311/michael2113/IMG_0925.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f311/michael2113/IMG_0926.jpg

Bustedblade
01-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Do not go off the house, most are not straight, use a stringline and work from there. What are you using for a base?
Posted via Mobile Device

stanley2113
01-24-2010, 12:23 PM
The plan was to use 4" of crushed granite compacted a couple inches at a time the 1.5" of sand over the top. Does that sound about right?

Should I start on the wall side with a string guide or does it matter where I start?

alland1
01-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Even though most houses are not square, I would still start in the corner with your soldier row and just adjust the space between pavers to adjust (assuming house isn't really out of square). After screeding the sand just carefully walk up to corner and hand trowel your footprints. After you get a few rows in you can turn around and kneel on the pavers, and just fix the sand as you make your way back out.

Jim Bo
01-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Hook up the down spouts and run them out past the patio.It looks like you may need some surface drain. I'm not a fan of the paver lights unless there in steps.

Bustedblade
01-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Your base plan sounds good but you need to know what is really there, see if there are photos of when the pool went in. I do alot of patios and have had to go as deep as 24" to get a proper base
Posted via Mobile Device

stanley2113
01-24-2010, 01:16 PM
I wasn't going to use them on stairs so I will cancel the lights.
After we get the pavers done we plan on getting a patio cover put back up, Ike removed the old one.
I plan on putting in a 4" or 6" channel drain and connecting it to an excisting drain.
One problem I have is that the previous owners poured concrete over the patio slab that came with the house making it so tall that it covered up about half of the first run of bricks on the house and then put the pool in to match that height which puts the pool decking about even if not higher than the slab of the house which is where I want the top of the pavers to be.
The plan for that is to run a string from the house out level and mark for the slope down and do the same from the pool decking and where they come together put the channel drain that way the transition going back up to the pool isn't as sharp or require steps.

I don't have any pics of the backyard from before we moved in, but most of the digging I have done around here turns up clay. What should I look for as far as a good surface to start my base?

Once I get the crushed granite down and compacted do I have to put the sand down and finish all at once? If the compacted cg base gets wet will it cause problems?
Posted via Mobile Device