PDA

View Full Version : Back up machine

Bustedblade
01-24-2010, 02:26 PM
So if Murphys law kicks in, what is your go to backup machine on the trailer. I have an old Bunton that I rebuilt and put a Kawasaki engine on, it never fails me in a pinch.

Mike Blevins
01-24-2010, 03:07 PM
I don't need a back-up mower. My dealer's service is second to none. Depending on what time you have a problem you will usually be back to mowing the same day or very early the next morning.(They open up earlier in the mowing months) Scag only dealer,keeps every part for my Scag in stock,Scag factory trained mechanics. A dealer like this is another way of saving money because you don't have to buy a "back up" mower.

Bustedblade
01-24-2010, 03:15 PM
I service all my own stuff and have been lucky so far but, have had minor problems, flats etc. I like a backup because you never know.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
01-24-2010, 03:46 PM
I have a backup for everything but my 60" Dixie Chopper. I used to have a spare Dixie but I sold it 4 years ago while it was still worth something. I haven't needed it yet (knock on wood).

NEWGUYRI
01-24-2010, 04:18 PM
I have to agree with Mike. I am in a replica situation, my dealer is excellent. I have no backup for my kubota, but I do have another 48" that I use alongside with it, so if the kubota were to break down, I could just use the 48 and have it take longer.

mowerbrad
01-24-2010, 04:45 PM
This mowing season I will no longer have two mowers, just one ztr. But like others, I too have a great dealer. They have a very large inventory of parts, overnight shipping on parts they don't have instock, and they will deliver parts to me if I can't make it over to get the parts and need them quickly. Hopefully I will only have one mower for this season, then I will pick up a second mower for the 2011 season. But they will all be from my Deere dealer, best dealership around me.

Bustedblade
01-24-2010, 05:15 PM
You guys are lucky to have good dealers, I have a great large tractor and chainsaw dealer near me but, the local mower guys are shady.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
01-24-2010, 05:21 PM
You guys are lucky to have good dealers, I have a great large tractor and chainsaw dealer near me but, the local mower guys are shady.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have NO good local dealer. I have to drive either to the east side of my county or to the south side of my county to get to a good dealer. So I'm driving from one end of my county to the other just to get to a good dealer. But it is worth it.

Richard Martin
01-24-2010, 05:40 PM
I have NO good local dealer. I have to drive either to the east side of my county or to the south side of my county to get to a good dealer. So I'm driving from one end of my county to the other just to get to a good dealer. But it is worth it.

You think that's bad? I have to mail order the parts for my Ferris'. Our only dealer stopped selling them 2 years ago. So far, so good.

metro36
01-24-2010, 06:17 PM
I have a couple toro 21" that I could use if I really had to. I do most of my own repairs and keep parts on hand so that I can get most stuff back up and running quicky. If not I have a great local small engine mechanic who will get me back up cutting in a day or less.

I dont have a good local dealer locally either. The local on is a dirt bag who doesnt care enough about smaller customers. I buy my parts from a dealer in Vermont.

mowerbrad
01-24-2010, 06:25 PM
You think that's bad? I have to mail order the parts for my Ferris'. Our only dealer stopped selling them 2 years ago. So far, so good.

My ex-bobcat dealer has horrible service so I refuse to go to them. For me to get parts I have to order from a dealer halfway across the state in Lansing, about 2 hours away.

dishboy
01-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I have back ups for everything , including my truck. If you can not get back cutting within two hours, your schedule for that day and possibly the next or the rest of the week is shot.

Lawnboy lesson # 1, DEPENABLITY is more important than ANY OTHER quality you think you offer your client. No other quality will help keep customers more than DEPENDABILITY! Your customers need to see you within the same two hour time frame every week.

Richard Martin
01-24-2010, 06:52 PM
My ex-bobcat dealer has horrible service so I refuse to go to them. For me to get parts I have to order from a dealer halfway across the state in Lansing, about 2 hours away.

Oh yeah! Well my dealer's in Maryland. 5-1/2 hours away.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. :cool2:

LawnboyTim
01-24-2010, 08:39 PM
My back up mower is a, Lesco 48" belt drive mower, it isnt the best but is always there for me. Hopefully I wont have to use it at all this season since I just picked up a new bobcat walkbehind.