PDA

View Full Version : Huge JOB-Many quotes

NEWGUYRI
01-24-2010, 05:05 PM
The home is in a large upscale neighborhood with good acess by road. Property is 64,000 square feet(1.46 Acres). The amount of turf is probably around 1 acre.

Bid # 1: Mowing: Very meticulous detail mowing: 1 acre turf, sloped hill towards back of property, a small fenced in area, and a lot of trimming. I was thinking somewhere around $100-$125/week.

Bid #2: Aerate/overseed/de-thatch: Homeowner wants to get turf into adequate condition, I have sugested that the lawn, not in it's best condition, is dethatched, then aerated and overseeded. For this service I was thinking around 1,000.

Bid#3: Edging, mulch, and adding some more perrenials. Around 8 yards. I was thinking around 800-1000.

Bid#4: adding a large flowerbed along the road, filling it with plants, adding mulch, etc. Around 2,0000-3,000

Bid#5: spring clean-up: fall clean-up by last company was not comprehensive at all. I was thinking 400-600

Bid#6: Trimming all hedges. Estimate:300-400

These homeowners are very meticulous about everything, and money is definitely not an object, within reason. They want to rejuvenate their properties appearance, which is not bad, but not great either.

The home is pictured below:

Lawnut101
01-24-2010, 05:20 PM
I would say your mowing price sounds pretty good. How big is the gate on the fence? The spring cleanup could take a while if the last company didn't do a good job in the fall. I would think you are very close in your price for that. But I don't really know your area. The other bids there aren't enough details to help you out.

NEWGUYRI
01-24-2010, 05:24 PM
the gate is 95" wide, so it can fit pretty much anything. What more info can I give for the other stuff, I walked the property for quite a while. I can answer any other q's.

NEWGUYRI
01-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Time Estimates:

Mowing: 1.5 hours with a 2 man crew

Aerate/overseed/dethatch: 2 man aerating with w/b aerators, would take about 4 hours. Dethatch, 2 hours. Overseed may be subbed out.

Mulch: about 12 man hours

Spring clean up: about 12 man hours

Bustedblade
01-24-2010, 05:32 PM
How bad is the thatch? I've had good luck with hammering em hard with a plugger then overseeding like crazy, in early spring. I have used the same process at my own home and it looks great after a few weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
01-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Its hard to say how your prices sound since it can't really see the property, I don't know your market prices, and I don't know the prices of the materials you will get and equipment you will rent, so that makes it tough to judge. From the sounds of things, you have never done a job requiring this much work at one time.

NEWGUYRI
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
How bad is the thatch? I've had good luck with hammering em hard with a plugger then overseeding like crazy, in early spring. I have used the same process at my own home and it looks great after a few weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

The thatch isn't too too bad, but it needs some work. I think dethatching with the jrco dethatcher I'm going to purchase should only take 3 hours tops.

NEWGUYRI
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Its hard to say how your prices sound since it can't really see the property, I don't know your market prices, and I don't know the prices of the materials you will get and equipment you will rent, so that makes it tough to judge. From the sounds of things, you have never done a job requiring this much work at one time.

As you know I'm 15. So, yes, this is my first Job of this proportion, I also have a 40 yard mulch job coming up in the spring:)

Bustedblade
01-24-2010, 05:41 PM
If it's not bad, you might be better off just plugging and seeding.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
01-24-2010, 05:55 PM
I would start calling around to local suppliers and get some prices on the mulch, flowers, etc. needed for some of the projects your bidding on.

I'm not huge on doing landscape installs, I only do a few small projects like that so I can't be too much of a help with that side.

But mowing and spring clean up I will be able to help. If its going to take you 1.5 hours with 2 men (3 man hours) to mow weekly then the $125 would be a better price. The spring clean-up price seems a little low to me if you think it is going to take you 12 man hours. I would be looking at closer to $800 for that price.

NEWGUYRI
01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
I agree with the spring clean-up, after thinking about it, and the hours, 7-800 seems fair. I already know my mulch price, 32/yard, but for plants I will need to do a plan for the customer. Thanks for the tips!

Hoy landscaping
01-24-2010, 06:14 PM
i think your 12 hours for 8 yards of mulch is a little much. i have 1 worker and i can do 2 yards an hour, when were hauling.

grassman177
01-24-2010, 07:21 PM
most lawns dont need actual dethatching unless you have about 1/2in of thatch. a very heavy aearation(overlapping instead of side by side pases) and overseeding will take care of most problems. dont do more damamge to the existing turf than needed.

why sub the seeding.? all you are doing is spreding seed, easy money and you can get wholesale seed so you can make money off the seed too.

as far as other things, hard to help without looking it over in person, sorry. the addition of the bed out front is totally out of our abilties to help without tons of good pics and then lists of plants etc. be careful not to underprice yourself. it is easier to do this than over price when making the jump to large properties .

the mowing sounds high, unless you are baggin all the time. that is because here the market for mowing is kinda low compared to other places. i maybe could get aobut 100 out of it here, but that is here so dont take that to heart as i am sure you are on for your area.

if you are good with estimating, then most of your pricing looks right on really, and good luck in the contract, hope you get it

NEWGUYRI
01-24-2010, 07:51 PM
i think your 12 hours for 8 yards of mulch is a little much. i have 1 worker and i can do 2 yards an hour, when were hauling.

Yeah, I could maybe do a yard an hour normally. But there are lots of plants and other obstacles in this job+edging etc.

NEWGUYRI
01-24-2010, 07:54 PM
most lawns dont need actual dethatching unless you have about 1/2in of thatch. a very heavy aearation(overlapping instead of side by side pases) and overseeding will take care of most problems. dont do more damamge to the existing turf than needed.

why sub the seeding.? all you are doing is spreding seed, easy money and you can get wholesale seed so you can make money off the seed too.

as far as other things, hard to help without looking it over in person, sorry. the addition of the bed out front is totally out of our abilties to help without tons of good pics and then lists of plants etc. be careful not to underprice yourself. it is easier to do this than over price when making the jump to large properties .

the mowing sounds high, unless you are baggin all the time. that is because here the market for mowing is kinda low compared to other places. i maybe could get aobut 100 out of it here, but that is here so dont take that to heart as i am sure you are on for your area.

if you are good with estimating, then most of your pricing looks right on really, and good luck in the contract, hope you get it

I feel like there is at least a 1/2 inch of thatch on this lawn. It looks rather dead and I think there is quite a thatch layer on this lawn. I am bagging all the time for the mowing, in our area mowing is not cheap. A 1/3-1/2 acre property is about 40-50 a cut standard in our area. Thanks, I should get the account as I have the lady next door.

lawnkingforever
01-24-2010, 11:53 PM

Yes, the mulch job seems a little high. But you are in a diffrent market so that may be the going rate there. The price of installing mulch has been beat down in my market. I now only do mulch jobs for my current lawn customers now.

moores
01-25-2010, 06:29 PM
I think your mulch price is a bit high seeing that if you are doing the spring clean up all the beds should be already edged and cleaned out so all you should have to do is just spread.. That overseeding price is pretty low to me cause seed is not cheap these days and then you are gonna have to fert it with a starter and tupersan or siduron which also is not cheap and then better hope that it is all irragated and they are gonna be faithful on watering it or else the yard is gonna turn into a crabgrass field.. If I was you I would overseed it in late august and then you won't run into weed problems thats just my 2 cents. The rest of the quote its hard to say with out looking and seeing what is gonna be planted... Who was cutting it last year..

NEWGUYRI
01-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I think your mulch price is a bit high seeing that if you are doing the spring clean up all the beds should be already edged and cleaned out so all you should have to do is just spread.. That overseeding price is pretty low to me cause seed is not cheap these days and then you are gonna have to fert it with a starter and tupersan or siduron which also is not cheap and then better hope that it is all irragated and they are gonna be faithful on watering it or else the yard is gonna turn into a crabgrass field.. If I was you I would overseed it in late august and then you won't run into weed problems thats just my 2 cents. The rest of the quote its hard to say with out looking and seeing what is gonna be planted... Who was cutting it last year..

Correct, the beds will be blown out, not edged. The going rate in this specific neighborhood is 90-100 for mulch, so I may be 50 or so too high. Good point about the over seeding, the lawn is established though, and even if that's the case my fert. guy takes care of that. The lawn has in-ground irrigation. Thanks for the pointers

Hoy landscaping
01-25-2010, 08:19 PM
wait. your getting 100 bucks per yard? lucky!

NEWGUYRI
01-25-2010, 08:22 PM
not luck, skill. LOL, jk.

Hoy landscaping
01-25-2010, 08:24 PM
the big shot commercial companys are lucky to get 85. rich neighborhood i guess.

moores
01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
so u are saying that you dont edge any beds during spring clean ups???? And also you can't go buy a going rate in a specific neighborhood because you will kill yourself if say you did a job in Warren or in EP.. I am not trying to bust your balls by any means just trying to help you by saying that you need to set a rate and go by it in every neighborhood.. Just like I cut alot of houses on the east side of providence and they are pretty much the same price as the ones I have in other areas unless the customers want extras done every week.

freshprince94
01-25-2010, 08:42 PM
The mowing sounds fair to me. We don't bill per cut in Florida, and our rates are somewhat lower, but from what I have read on here it sounds fair.

The regional differences in mowing prices perplex/aggravate me because it's basically the same amount of work. If up north you get $40 for 1/4-1/3 acre, down in Florida, we get about $75-$85 a month, $95 at most and that usually includes hedge trimming. So that equates to about $18-25 per cut. But we cut during the winter and get paid the same for doing half or 1/4 the work, so I guess it equals out.

NEWGUYRI
01-25-2010, 08:43 PM
so u are saying that you dont edge any beds during spring clean ups???? And also you can't go buy a going rate in a specific neighborhood because you will kill yourself if say you did a job in Warren or in EP.. I am not trying to bust your balls by any means just trying to help you by saying that you need to set a rate and go by it in every neighborhood.. Just like I cut alot of houses on the east side of providence and they are pretty much the same price as the ones I have in other areas unless the customers want extras done every week.

No thats fine I get it. My target market is Barrington, maybe a bit into riverside, and Warren. My rate is 85-100, depending on whether they want weeding done, or edging, etc. Also for the spring clean-up, I do not include edging, but I will at customers request. Believe me, in Barrington there are a lot of homes with tons of beds.

NEWGUYRI
01-25-2010, 08:45 PM
The mowing sounds fair to me. We don't bill per cut in Florida, and our rates are somewhat lower, but from what I have read on here it sounds fair.

The regional differences in mowing prices perplex/aggravate me because it's basically the same amount of work. If up north you get $40 for 1/4-1/3 acre, down in Florida, we get about $75-$85 a month, $95 at most and that usually includes hedge trimming. So that equates to about $18-25 per cut. But we cut during the winter and get paid the same for doing half or 1/4 the work, so I guess it equals out.

Yeah it equals out, and up here you need to consider our operating costs are higher. For example when I was looking at purchasing a walker up here, or buying one and getting it shipped the difference was 2,800. Same mower, different price.

moores
01-25-2010, 08:54 PM
I hear ya I know the area that you are talking about like I said I am not tryin to bust your balls like some other guys would but you just need to set prices that you are comfortable with and know that you are making a good profit off it.. For being 15 years old you have a damn good head on your shoulders and thats how old I was when I started in this business and If I didn't spend 4 years on active duty in the Marine Corps I would have a much better client list but I am average 3 to 4 new accounts a year for the past couple of years so I can't complain.... Keep ur head up and keep doing good work and it will eventually all fall in to place for ya..

SangerLawn
01-25-2010, 08:54 PM
my answer is for mowing, trimming, and clean up only

In my area you would have a had time selling 1 acre of turf for over $85.00 unless there is some extreme…and I mean major….trimming and or extreme hills.

The going rate here is about $65.00 per acre but sometimes you can find people willing to pay more

NEWGUYRI
01-25-2010, 09:29 PM
yeah, up here this is about the going rate, between what I have heard others can get, etc. I think the mowing price will be 115 a week.

sweetland
01-25-2010, 10:07 PM
yeah, up here this is about the going rate, between what I have heard others can get, etc. I think the mowing price will be 115 a week.

115 a week? geez whats the adress so i can outbid you lol. im kidding newguyri, im about 15 mins away from you so let me know if you need some help

NEWGUYRI
01-25-2010, 10:40 PM
phew. I was worried there for a min. lol. I will do if I need some help.

sweetland
01-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Dont hesitate to ask, i have another guy that works for me too if needed
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
01-25-2010, 10:58 PM
I charge 75 Dollars a yard plus the cost of mulch installed. If they want straight hemlock it ends up being about 120 per yard total, if its pine around 100. That includes edging for me. I will adjust slightly if there is very little edging. I do not tell the customer what the breakdown is. Mowing 125 seems ok. I would assume you would bag every week.