PDA

View Full Version : enclosed trailer question

docjones
01-24-2010, 06:45 PM
hey y'all....i'm driving a 1/2 ton silverado and wanting to buy an enclosed trailer. a local guy who hauls his motorcycles is selling a single axle 7x14 all aluminum trailer with a nice interior set up like electric, air compressor, water hookups, etc. it's only got 3500lb axle with the trailer being 1000lbs which gives me 2500lbs to haul. i'm new to the biz so don't have a ton of equipment yet but know i'll grow quickly so don't think going with smaller than 7x14 is wise. so the question is....if i have 3000 bucks to spend on trailer, is a tandem better to spend on even if it was a little smaller or heavier and with less stuff in it? i'm sure there's tons of posts on this subject but this seems to be kind of a unique trailer being 7x14 single axle and all aluminum. thanks in advance.

jeffslawnservice
01-24-2010, 06:57 PM
I have a 6x12 single axle now and am pulling it with an F-150. It does fine and I think you should be good pulling a 7x14 single axle. I would stay with a single axle trailer and not a double axle trailer in you plan on pulling it with a 1/2 ton truck. Best of Luck.

vanncann
01-24-2010, 08:56 PM
A single is going to be harder to control on a windy day, and no where as steady to pull as a tandem. 14 is a little long for a single axle in my opinion. JMHO.

mowerbrad
01-24-2010, 09:26 PM
14' does seem a little long for a single axle trailer, usually at that size they have stepped up to a tandem axle. But you still do have 2500lbs of capacity left. Even if you have a ztr (1200lbs) small gear walk behind (600lbs) 21" (100lbs) and blowers and trimmers (100lbs) all in the trailer thats only 2000lbs, so you have an extra 500lbs left over, and thats with being generous with some of the weights. So if you have several pieces of equipment, then it will probably max out that trailer pretty easy. If you get a trailer that big, I would honestly look for something with tandem axles, just so you don't have to worry about the weight.

docjones
01-25-2010, 12:02 AM
thanks for the input guys.....i'm gonna go with a 7x14 tandem. i know a half ton truck isn't ideal for pulling but it's all i've got.

SangerLawn
01-25-2010, 12:20 AM
A single is going to be harder to control on a windy day, and no where as steady to pull as a tandem. 14 is a little long for a single axle in my opinion. JMHO.

I agree plus….we run 16 foot trailers and sometime I wish I bought 18 foot. You are going to find that a 14 foot cant really hold much more then a 12 foot. You would probably be better off trying to find a 16 footer.

docjones
01-25-2010, 08:13 PM
I found this 7x16 today on craigslist.....it's gotta be the nicest set up I've seen so far but I have no idea where I'd have room for my equipment. I guess on a positive note, if my wife kicked me out of the house, I could live in this for awhile....lol.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/rvs/1558487931.html

MikeKle
01-25-2010, 09:33 PM
That is a nice enclosed, Ive never seen one with a shower and hot water!! That would be ideal for getting away from the wife or GF for awhile! But they only needed room for a couple dirt bikes and we need room for huge mowers, so all those amenities may need to go!