PDA

View Full Version : Homelite Eqiupment

GCSTL
01-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Ok guys, I need some honest advice.

I am trying to get my gear together to get going this season, but had an unexpected expense arise that seriously cut my startup budget.

With that being said, would I be ok going with 2 Homelite trimmers & 2 Homelite Blowers just to get me going.

Is it realistic to get a season out of this stuff.

SangerLawn
01-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Bottom line…you have to do what you have to do…personally, I would say there is no way you are going to stay in business with anything made by homelite however, it will probably last long enough for you to make enough money to replace it.

I bought a homelite blower a few years ago…I think it lasted about 3 months

I defiantly wouldn’t buy 2 of each though….just buy what you need for now, save every dime you make, buy better equipment as soon as possible

Nolimit124
01-24-2010, 11:57 PM
i bought a homelight trimmer last one day I would suggest picking up some used equipment. I only bought the homelight because i was in a bind. You could always get a trimmer from home depot and sign up for a credit card and finance it or something. I was at home depot today and the homelight trimmers were $100 for like another $130 you could pick up an echo trimmer that would last longer

chavezw16
01-25-2010, 12:04 AM
i bought a homelite blower and it did not last I did buy a poulan pro blower from wal mart for about $100 it has served me well for the price.as far as trimmers i have never used one but agree that you should only buy one of each and save for better equip

Centralmichiganlawncare
01-25-2010, 01:09 AM
its up to you but i have to say i had a homelite bloer and that thing sucks dosent even blow the grass of the driveway. i only use redmax for my business and i have one craftsman trimmer at homeand love that one. If your looking for something to last a season try sears they sould be able to get you through the season.

Grass Shark
01-25-2010, 02:20 AM
Either buy used or get 1 commercial trimmer and 1 commercial blower

LewisLawn
01-25-2010, 12:05 PM
stay away from homelite buy used first at least if something is wrong with it the local dealer will fix it and you'll get years of service out of it. homelite will last a commercial person with minimum 25 weekly accts 2 to 3 months tops homelite according to dealers in my area are desgned for the homeowner to use once a week for a year or two depending on where you live and how many months a year/hours year you will operate it. Before I got into the business my family owned several homelite blowers b/c dad was to cheap to spend the extra 80 bucks to by echo/stihl but the following year he would plop down another 99 bucks to get a new one. Craigslist will have echo/stihl etc used with minimal hours on there for less than a new homelite

Stevegotcrabgrass
01-25-2010, 02:13 PM
I use a homelite string trimmer and it sux. Will be getting replaced soon

topsites
01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't recommend Homelite to a homeowner who ain't got squat for a yard,
that is the biggest POS ever made, might as well use shears, a broom and a rag.

I kid you not, but if you absolutely must find out the reason why Homelite is a POS I might
suggest buying one, the price isn't high at all and I think you will soon see what I saw, too.

>>>> SPOILER !!! <<<<
Here's what happens with the Homelite plan:
First you'll try not to look the fool, then right as you're thinking that despite the fact that it's taking a little
bit longer than expected the machine craps out requiring you to fix it, and before it's over you will have
repaired that machine as much as you've used it, basically.
>>>> End Spoiler <<<<

So if you have to do it, you know, but plan on the money being a waste, also I wouldn't go
picking up too many customers while you're on the Homelite plan, I think One would be enough.

You might try McCulloch or Poulan, they ain't much better but it is an improvement, Ryobi is right decent in comparison.

lawnkingforever
01-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Just like Topsite said, Homelite is the worst of the worst. If you have to go the HD/Lowes route, check out the lower end Echos and Husqavrnas anyway. Trimmers take alot of abuse when in the wrong hands, be careful buying used, even a high end one. The lower end Husky and Echo's should last you a season, maybe longer.

razor1
01-25-2010, 04:57 PM
If you're going to be the one using it, give it a shot. I have an old Homelite trimmer that I've been using for years but I also baby it and tune it up when needed. One more thing, I was in Harbor Freight the other day and they had Homelite straight shaft trimmers for $19.95 and they just sold out of Homelite bent shaft trimmers for $9.95....can't beat that, so get moving.

Puddle of Oil
01-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Ok guys, I need some honest advice.

I am trying to get my gear together to get going this season, but had an unexpected expense arise that seriously cut my startup budget.

With that being said, would I be ok going with 2 Homelite trimmers & 2 Homelite Blowers just to get me going.

Is it realistic to get a season out of this stuff.

i bought a homlite bout 7 years ago for around 50 bucks at home depot! lasted me 4 years! ive since upgraded but i didnt think it was that bad!

AOD
01-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Most anything Homelite made in the last 15 years is going to be junk. If it works and the price is right use it til it blows up and replace it.

On the other hand, I have yet to see anyone kill an XL-12 chainsaw, and there's nothing like firing one of them up in an affluent neighborhood.

adb140275
01-25-2010, 06:55 PM
older homelite is my favorite. if its new it must be echo or stihl... bottom line. if you are just starting find something used that runs, thats CHEAP, and go from there. then get an echo.

bobcat48
01-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Have a homelite hedge trimmer and had no issues so far.

Jay Ray
01-25-2010, 09:07 PM
I've been spoiled by Stihl even when I was a just a homeowner, but if it was the only way possible, I would rush down to Harbor and get the $19.95 Homelite. You can't hardly get a carb repair kit for that anymore.

razor1
01-25-2010, 10:09 PM
I've been spoiled by Stihl even when I was a just a homeowner, but if it was the only way possible, I would rush down to Harbor and get the $19.95 Homelite. You can't hardly get a carb repair kit for that anymore.

It seems to be a limited number of trimmers and they don't last long.

GCSTL
01-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Well, the reason i ask, is because I can get the new model homelite's that Home Depot sells for 100.00, for $49.00 from a buddy who wholesales stuff.

I just figured for 49.00 if I could get 3 or 4 months out of em until i can buy some echo stuff, I would be in good shape.

razor1
01-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Well, the reason i ask, is because I can get the new model homelite's that Home Depot sells for 100.00, for $49.00 from a buddy who wholesales stuff.

I just figured for 49.00 if I could get 3 or 4 months out of em until i can buy some echo stuff, I would be in good shape.

Do it, the only problem I ever had, usually after a season or 2 was to change the spark plug or adjust the carb a little. You can't go wrong for $50. Get an extra plug and be sure to burn all the gas out of it before any long term storage and it should work out.

AOD
01-26-2010, 10:45 AM
If you look at an older (Textron era) Homelite trimmer you'd be amazed with how well it's put together, ball bearings, steel drive shaft, outboard recoil. The only problem with them is they're all curved shaft, which alot of taller guys detest, and some parts can be hard to find. A hedge trimmer might not be too bad, most guys don't put lots of hours on those unless they specialize in hedge work.