PDA

View Full Version : I'm new, need advice...

TurnerLawnCare
01-24-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm looking into buying either a walk behind or a Ztr (32-36 in.) and want to know what yalls opinions are. I will be mowing mainly 1/4 acre lots and a few bigger ones and need to fit through gates alot for back yards. The Dixon 34in. black bear or the gravely 34 in both seem to be about what i need or i could get a walk behind say a scag sw 36 in. with a floating deck or maybee a quick 32 or 36 dually. Just want to know what yall think since alot of yall have gone through this stage and know more about it than i do. also i would like to stay away from fixed decks because they seem like a pain in the @ss to adjust the height on. but if i have to i will.

SangerLawn
01-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Get a 36 inch walk behind. It will fit through most gates. I prefer scag walk behinds but not a huge fan of there ztr. Don’t waste your money on a small ztr. You will be kicking yourself in the ars down the road if you do. You can probably find a 36 inch scag wb used for about $1,000

Premier landscaping south
01-24-2010, 11:18 PM
I use a 36" leso walk behind with a fixed deck. I like everything about the mower beside the fixed deck. Get a floater my friend.

TurnerLawnCare
01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
I can get a New Scag 36 in. floating deck for 2600 2 minutes from my house. Sounds like a sweet deal to me. Real nice dealer to. Your opinions??? also will it be strong enough for me to use a sulky. i weigh 140. or should i not waste the money on one?

SangerLawn
01-25-2010, 07:16 PM
It depends if it is a hydro or a belt driven machine. For that price I would be willing to bet it is belt driven?

A belt driven walk behind has problems in the rain when a sulky is hooked up. They are also reverse assisted witch means you have to pull the machine backwards.

At first you will probably think that it is a mistake however in all reality they are pretty good machines however I would rather have a hydro…of course they are about $2,500 more

bohiaa
01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
The smaller ZTR's are nothing but trouble.

Get the wb

Sean Adams
01-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Equipment should be a "down the road" decision as much as you can make it.

What I mean is, don't base your decision on just what you have or need now. Don't base your decision on brand or even merely money.

Your equipment is your lifeline in this business. Yes, you may need to get in gates now, but a year from now, what if the majority of the work you are after is wide open and calls for something more substantial.

I am not saying go out and drop thousands on the biggest, most expensive piece of equipment you can find. I am just saying, don't buy something that is going to force you to only be able to do certain kinds of work.

TurnerLawnCare
01-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Yes it's a belt drive. and i would prefer a hydro but i'm not paying an extra 2500 dollars. And i wont be buying anthing untill i know i need it and can justify buying it. thanks for the input guys.

sawinredneck
01-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Get a 36 inch walk behind. It will fit through most gates. I prefer scag walk behinds but not a huge fan of there ztr. Donít waste your money on a small ztr. You will be kicking yourself in the ars down the road if you do. You can probably find a 36 inch scag wb used for about $1,000

Just curious why you say this, and if you would please elaborate more on this? How would you feel about a stander in this situation?

TurnerLawnCare
01-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Good point. should i get a walk behind or try and get a 36 in. stander? if so what brand? I like scags stuff. not toro though. how about write, hustler,exmark...... this would be usefull in case i need to walk behind i can or i can zero turn everything and ride all day. Obviously big increase in price but is it worth it?

TurnerLawnCare
01-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Hello....??

sawinredneck
01-28-2010, 12:10 AM
I think we've been blown off, I thought we had some good questions?

JasonsLawnCare
01-28-2010, 07:48 PM
gravely is all i run

l3en007
01-28-2010, 08:51 PM
I use a 36" leso walk behind with a fixed deck. I like everything about the mower beside the fixed deck. Get a floater my friend.

I have this mower too. Do you know how many quarts of oil it takes when changing the oil? I dont have the manual. I bought it used.

THanks!

TurnerLawnCare
01-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Redneck, you asked Sanger a question and i was going to wait for him to answer to just to see what he said. Don't know

sawinredneck
01-28-2010, 10:25 PM
I know, I was hoping for a good response as well, but it seems this thread is headed for derail hell!

barko4
01-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Yes it's a belt drive. and i would prefer a hydro but i'm not paying an extra 2500 dollars. And i wont be buying anthing untill i know i need it and can justify buying it. thanks for the input guys.

:clapping: I have to say that I back you up on this decision. I only had 8 yards my first year and made over 1,000 dollars/month with only a 42" ZTR mower, and trimmer, blower, etc......Carry on,....smoke if you hav'em.

barko4
01-28-2010, 10:45 PM
I have this mower too. Do you know how many quarts of oil it takes when changing the oil? I dont have the manual. I bought it used.

THanks!

Go to the manufacturers website and download the manual for that particular model.......B

barko4
01-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Good point. should i get a walk behind or try and get a 36 in. stander? if so what brand? I like scags stuff. not toro though. how about write, hustler,exmark...... this would be usefull in case i need to walk behind i can or i can zero turn everything and ride all day. Obviously big increase in price but is it worth it?

I thought about getting a push or self propelled, or walk behind. I settled with a ZTR 42". I did that because at least one of my yards had a gate that was 43" wide! I gained 2 jobs because I had a mower small enough to get through the gates to large backyards, BUT big enough to get the job done and make some money! It is fast when I need it to be, or.........slow when I need it.....B

sawinredneck
01-28-2010, 11:05 PM
I focus on limited access, my mini goes through a 43" gate, I have a grapple, bucket and pallet forks. I am trying to build a small brush hog for it but may just convert a small tractor unit.
For small concrete jobs, clean up jobs and tree work it's awsome. But I cringe every time I have to use my JX 75 on two to three foot high yards, and my poor Dixon is useless unless I weadeat and rake first.
I like the idea of the stander because it's compact and the upright position offers viability you don't get on a ZTR.