PDA

View Full Version : New Bed Edging Equipment

ColumbiaLand
01-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Im sure this has been discussed a million times, but I'm trying to buy a bed edger and have several questions and I could not find what I was looking for using the search feature. We have always edged a new bed or existing bed by hand as needed. I once rented an edger that had a small 4 inch blade on it seemed to be a POS. I have also been looking at brown products. It seems that they make some nice stuff. My question is can these edgers be used to create new beds or are they really only good for touching up existing bed lines? If I am doing mainly new beds/touching up old bed lines which model is best they make so many? And is there a company that makes an edger that can completely dig out the edge and deposit the soil/grass inside the bed line or on a tarp on the lawn side. Thanks in advance for all info.

ColumbiaLand
01-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Anyone, any info is much appreciated

dclandscape
01-25-2010, 02:12 PM
We have a Brown bed edger. Paid about 2k for it 3 years ago. Works PERFECT for new beds. But as for existing beds, it gets difficult sometimes. The deeper the existing edge is, the hard it is. If its a bed that has lost its edge entirely, MINT machine. We blow through roots, rocks, you name it. Worth the investment for us...

Jim Bo
01-25-2010, 06:35 PM
I agree with dclandscape, that brown bed edger is great. On beds that have an existing edge from the previous year I use a sidwalke edger and just make a line and do some minor tune ups to the edge.

GreenmanCT
01-26-2010, 12:43 PM
I have used the blue bird edger, im pretty sure its the same design on the brown and the one on the husqvarna. They are absolutely essential on larger edging jobs. I did 500 ft in less then 30 minutes with it, and the edge was just flawless.

I usually rent them from Superior rental, i think its like 45 for 4 hours and 80 for the day. Otherwise, the usually run around a lil over 2k to purchase. Judging by your trucks, you should be able the swing that.

nobagger
01-26-2010, 01:19 PM
We tried the rest and bought the best! That sounded corny,lol. Seriously, we tried everything from Brown, Bluebird, even the one with an "L" shaped blade. They all did ok at best then bought the Little Wonder BedShaper.....holy crap! Its fast, has tons of power (13hp Honda) leaves a great edge. Sometimes you still need to go behind the cut sod to cut the back side to remove it but thats not often. Its a bit pricey but the time I save is huge. Example, we do a condo complex and there are flower beds everywhere, and I mean everywhere. I bet there is roughly 5k ft of edging. We tried the edger that has an "L" shape blade and it took forever, probably at least 6hrs just to edge then another 3 for cleaning the edges up. Next year we had the Little Wonder and I was done in about 2 hrs! It just has so much power and a cleaner cut, no touching up.

GreenmanCT
01-26-2010, 01:58 PM
We tried the rest and bought the best! That sounded corny,lol. Seriously, we tried everything from Brown, Bluebird, even the one with an "L" shaped blade. They all did ok at best then bought the Little Wonder BedShaper.....holy crap! Its fast, has tons of power (13hp Honda) leaves a great edge. Sometimes you still need to go behind the cut sod to cut the back side to remove it but thats not often. Its a bit pricey but the time I save is huge. Example, we do a condo complex and there are flower beds everywhere, and I mean everywhere. I bet there is roughly 5k ft of edging. We tried the edger that has an "L" shape blade and it took forever, probably at least 6hrs just to edge then another 3 for cleaning the edges up. Next year we had the Little Wonder and I was done in about 2 hrs! It just has so much power and a cleaner cut, no touching up.

that little wonder is no joke...i like.

AA+ landscaping
01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
You should check out turf teq. Hear are some pics from last summer.175033

blackstarpatriot
01-26-2010, 05:56 PM
There are several brands out there: Brown, E-Z Trench, and Bluebird are the most popular. You should try renting one on a job to get a feel for it. They work great for making new beds but also for cleaning up older edges that have filled in or need redefining.

AA+ landscaping
01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
There are several brands out there: Brown, E-Z Trench, and Bluebird are the most popular. You should try renting one on a job to get a feel for it. They work great for making new beds but also for cleaning up older edges that have filled in or need redefining.

You can do both with the turf teq make new and refine. You also put in curb stone like in pic.175063

AA+ landscaping
01-30-2010, 05:29 PM
This is the pic175579

b0cott01
02-05-2010, 09:40 PM
I have been reading up on existing bed edgers. The blue-bird, brown, and a few other brands keep popping up. What I want to know is, if you have used any of these machines, what do and don't you like about them. For example, It looks like the brown is a walk-behind, do people like to walk backwards to edge? I read the comments about the blue-bird," It edges existing beds fairly well," but what about new ones? I guess what I am really asking is, what would the perfect bed edger be made up of. Self propelled, high horse power, cut walking backwards, cutting depth that has to be adjusted by raising and lowering the wheels. Is this what people who use them daily really want. I want to find one that is easy to use and reliable.

Please post comments. I really want to know what you guys think. Thanks

scotlykins
02-06-2010, 08:50 AM
The Little Wonder BedShaper hands down. But, I am told the Sindwinder does a great job also.

froglawn
02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
brown edgers are very popular around here