PDA

View Full Version : Ford, Chevy, or Dodge ???

bgaston
05-30-2002, 09:35 AM
Ford, Chevy, or Dodge? Make your choice on which you believe to be the best truck to buy for lawn maintenance and landscaping.
I'm curious to see who the winner is.

odin
05-30-2002, 08:57 PM
chevy

thelawnguy
05-30-2002, 09:38 PM
may as well ask blonde brunette or redhead your answers will be as varied and as valid...

Randy J
05-30-2002, 09:51 PM
"may as well ask blonde brunette or redhead your answers will be as varied and as valid..." No doubt. They all have their good points, and their bad points. I will say though that I sure love my Dodge/Cummins.

Randy

scottb
05-30-2002, 10:38 PM
My Superduty Ford with the V10 is a good one. But if I could have what I wanted it would be one of those Iszuzu( please forgive spelling) lawncare trucks.

johnhenry
05-31-2002, 01:06 AM
thats a loaded ? I have a 97 dodge now but will look at all the big three nxt year. Scratch what odin says he has a gm pension plus how many other family members are working there buddy.:D

Planter
05-31-2002, 02:17 AM
I have an older Ford gasser, F250 with a 460 engine. Works for me, but the gas is killing me. I want a diesel very much .

I have looked at the new Chev Duramax with the 5 speed Allison transmission. They are sweet. I would love to have one, but my friend has been looking also and says there is only one in the state with a crew cab. They are so popular that the price is very firm. I'd like to pick up a used one and none seem to be available yet.

So, the preferred is the one ton Chev Duramax, the reality is a Ford one ton diesel or perhaps a Dodge (last choice), depending on the deal I can cut on a used one (and if the wife gets the new house she wants or I get the newer truck I want).

odin
05-31-2002, 09:21 PM
Johnhenry
You are right i am a little biased on this subject:D

With my whole family gm or former gm how coul i not be.
That aside i have been buying chevy gmc trucks since i was 18 years old and they have served me extremely well over the years.
We have a 97 one ton dump and a duramax one ton pickup we use as our two lawn business trucks and both have had no problems and they are used tough.

thelawnguy
05-31-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by odin00
With my whole family gm or former gm how coul i not be.

Some of us are more capable of learning from our mistakes than others...

John DiMartino
05-31-2002, 10:59 PM
If the choice is affected by $$,id sya the Dodge is the best bet,since it is on its way out,and the price is cheap right now.If cost isnt the primary issue,Id go with any of the big 3,the best dealer would get ny business.

GrassMaster84
06-01-2002, 12:05 AM
If I was to get a new truck it would have to a 2002 F-250 Quad-Cab Lariat Power Stroke* Diesel engine w/4x4 off road package. You can't beat these trucks, they've been to hell and back!! THey're good looking and have plenty of pulling power and durability!!

- Hope this Helps!

Brickman
06-01-2002, 12:50 AM
FORD F Superduty any day of the week, and twice on sunday. My only wish is that the Cummins engine would be an option for them. THEN you would have a MAN'S truck.

mdb landscaping
06-02-2002, 04:58 PM
CHEVROLET:D

MATTHEW
06-04-2002, 11:11 PM
Dodges are the nicest looking trucks in my opinion. The only thing is, you waste a lot of bed space with the spare transmission there!!!:D I have a Chevy Cheyenne. It rides like a Cadillac but looks like a shoebox on wheels. The Ford Superduty wins the contest to me. It is stylish and sits high. Bit of a rough ride, though.

AltaLawnCare
06-05-2002, 09:13 AM
CUMMINS
....with a Dodge body wrapped around it. Plenty of power and TORQUE, even stock..;)

I'll never own any other brand..

I hope mine lasts forever, because the new model Dodges aren't as nice looking and are harder to service.

lasher66
06-05-2002, 02:29 PM
I own a 1999 Dodge 1500 4X4 quad cab short bed. I have heard many poeple tell me that this truck will be junk if you even abuse it the stightest bit. I am thinking about selling it and getting a F-250 superduty because I need more power and the longer bed on the truck. Has anyone else heard of this with the Dodge 1500?

Lasher66

scottb
06-05-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by lasher66
I own a 1999 Dodge 1500 4X4 quad cab short bed. I have heard many poeple tell me that this truck will be junk if you even abuse it the stightest bit. I am thinking about selling it and getting a F-250 superduty because I need more power and the longer bed on the truck. Has anyone else heard of this with the Dodge 1500?

Lasher66

Ihavent heard this myself but it could be. My guess is that if you take care of it. It will last you forever. But the Superduty would be a good replacement. I have one with the V10 and love it.

lasher66
06-05-2002, 09:45 PM
What kind of gas mileage does the F-250 V10 get, just wondering because my Dodge V8 5.2L is terrible. Normally it gets 12mpg in city and 16 mpg on highway, but when I pull my lawn trailer it gets about 8 mpg. I was hoping for a little better gas mileage.

Lasher66

thelawnguy
06-05-2002, 10:48 PM
I've been thrashing the **** outa my 95 Dodge for 8 years with no ill effects. Just make sure any truck is equipped to handle the task at hand.

My observations on brand loyalty: seems the Ford guys are always buying new trucks-makes me wonder if they are disappointed with what they got and hoping for something better with the next one? The Chevy guys seem to always buy what their daddys bought, wonder to myself if you Chevy guys ever think for yourselves? j/k People who buy Dodge seem to keep em forever, makes me think that either they are pretty satisfied with what they have or they just don't have the scratch to buy a new one as often...

jeslaw
06-05-2002, 11:32 PM
Have 196,000 mostly trouble free miles on my 95 Dodge Cummins. Replaced lift pump at 110,000 miles or so. Fuel sender units been replaced twice--still broke, drive off trip mileage. Starter making strange sounds, will need to be replaced shortly. Get about 50,000 on tires. Filled up Saturday, getting 22 MPG, mostly interstate driving.

Outstanding truck. Intend to keep truck until engine goes. Probably about 100/300,000 more miles. Who knows.

Cummins engine maintenance reasonable. 11 qts, fuel and oil filters are reasonably priced at parts store. Winter time I use a good fuel supplement with cetane booster. Really helps the engine and pump. I swear it improves fuel mileage by 1 or 2 MPG.

20 Percent of mileage of this truck devote to pulling 2 horse trailer and equine tack.

I like this truck but probably like the Cummins part far more than the Dodge part.

scottb
06-06-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by lasher66
What kind of gas mileage does the F-250 V10 get, just wondering because my Dodge V8 5.2L is terrible. Normally it gets 12mpg in city and 16 mpg on highway, but when I pull my lawn trailer it gets about 8 mpg. I was hoping for a little better gas mileage.

Lasher66

I get 17 on the highway and 10 to 12 in town and pulling. Its not the greatest on gas but then again thats not why I bought it. It pulls like a tractor, and will stop when you need it too.
Ihave found that if I keep it under 2000rpm on the hwy it will do evenbetter but who enjoy running the speed limit.

Brickman
06-06-2002, 10:10 PM
My Power Stroke doesn't do any better on the road. But does 11 to 13 in town.
I am thinking of propane injection for my truck. Some guys claim to get 30 mpg with that. I could work with that.

KirbysLawn
06-07-2002, 12:10 AM
Ford PowerStroke

karl klein
06-07-2002, 09:53 PM
duramax

bubble boy
06-15-2002, 06:41 PM
i love chevy's, but not so much that i dont like the others.

it depends on the application. for maintenance only, i really like the 2wd F-150. stylish, inexpensive. enough to pull a trailer.

but for plowing, and/or landscaping, you need more. but never really likes the F-250. interior looks bus-like. so chevy's for me if its a 3/4 ton

BUT chevy has no SRW one ton:mad: i guess the HD is almost one?

with SRW one tons, ford and dodge win there.

lasher, i've got a 2001 ram 1500 reg cab 4x4. not my friends, not my neighbors brothers, but MINE. its had over $10 000 work done already. thats all i'll say.

the new ram's look good, really like the interior, but be wary of first year of a new model. they'll need to get some bugs out.

and boy, do i feel like i'm driving a toy when i hear a cummins coming (usually a mile away):eek:

cat320
06-15-2002, 10:30 PM
well chevy does have a 1 ton srw it's the 2500HD 9200 lb gvw is the same if not more than the old model.

scottb
06-16-2002, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bubble boy
[B] F-250. interior looks bus-like. so chevy's for me if its a 3/4 ton

Your the second person that has stated that recently. Guess I like the bus look. The chevy is nice my brother has one but he did copy me and get the vinyl floors so he could wash them out.

Brickman
06-16-2002, 11:22 AM
Bubble Boy what kind of busses are you riding in, or have seen that looked as nice inside as a F 250??????????????????? Some of the older ones maybe, but certainly not any of the newer models. I have yet to ride in, or see a bus that looks as good inside as the new model F 250's.

bubble boy
06-17-2002, 09:39 AM
ok, not quite like a bus, but...

personally i just think the chevy interiors nicer. i mean, with only a little modifying, look at what they do with the interior of an escalade. essentially a dressed up silverado. i cant see a 250 interior being that nice without major changes

now the fords and ram ride higher, which is nice, but im of the more vertically challenged;) , so easier to jump in and out of the chevy.

now, with the western plow brace, i do tend to bottom out (havent cranked the t bars though). ford and dodge's dont have the prob.

the chevy's cant be perfect:D

scottb
06-18-2002, 11:54 PM
I guess I like the simple design of the Ford interior. I like cloth seata and vinyl floor boards. But right now I would just like to have my truck back.