PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Home and Flower Show

JRSlawn
01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
I know there are a hundred thread on previous home and flower shows but I figured I would start a new one and bring it to the top. Who all is going to be doing their local home show? I am going to do it this year I was going to stay out of it but with the tough time I am going to step out on the edge and do a 30x35 feb-26-28th in akron it will be my first year doing a feature I am really hoping it turns some good leads. Anyone have any pictures of the shows they have done?

JRSlawn
01-25-2010, 04:26 PM
This is what I am going up against. This guy does some really cool stuff!

wurkn with amish
01-25-2010, 06:31 PM
My opinion for what its worth...

I've been reading some of your posts regarding home and garden boothes. You seem to be lost in what to display. So how you going to design a project of that caliber to a potential client? Come on lawnsite and ask your buddies to help on this paver project and what else can I put in there? If your going to step up and do a feature bring your "A" game or dont bother, clients will see right thru ya.
That guys does awesome work, you should check out his store at the Mall.

JRSlawn
01-25-2010, 07:15 PM
My design is done, submitted and approved. Thats what this site is for to ask questions and get ideas right? Maybe I am on the wrong site but I thought this place was good to bounce ideas off of fellow landscapers I must be wrong or maybe you are wrong for not thinking before you posted?

wurkn with amish
01-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Wow! good for you on all that. If everything is approved why do you need the awesomeness of lawnsite to bounce ideas? Your design is done runn with it.
How do you get a premier space over people that had boothes last year and you didn't?
I don't have a booth, so be glad your not going against me lol.... I'm just curious?????

tthomass
01-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Do you have more pictures of that bar? Whats the name of the company that did that?

dclandscape
01-26-2010, 06:29 PM
How do you hold your pavers in place????? I have a 10x10 corner booth and was wondering what keeps the pavers from creeping out when people walk al over them??

DVS Hardscaper
01-26-2010, 06:47 PM
1) Are you at this guy's caliber or work?

2) Do you have any / much experience of doing work in his price level?

Respectfully, if you answered no to either of the questions above - then just exhibit what your niche allows.

Whats your market like? Is there a strong demand for $30k(+) jobs in your market??

If the answer is no - then you wanna exhibit what the market can bear.

There's a contractor in our area that did a radio ad campaign last year. Here, we all are in our area affected by the recession, and this clown is advertising for these expensive, elaborate, outdoor living spaces (LOL). Backyards with TV's, Pizza Ovens, etc., etc. FOOLISH FOOLISH FOOLISH WASTE OF MONEY (on the advertising). What he should have done is focused his radio ads on patios in the $5k to $10k price range. Gotta roll with the changes.

Only you know your market. Gear your exhibit to what your market can currently bear. If things are tough for your local economy - then that guy can have at his $30k display.

If your neck of the woods is full of *old money* then you my wanna do a display as depicted.

wurkn with amish
01-26-2010, 07:37 PM
DVS I will answer for him cause I work in his area sometimes....
Yes there are still 30k jobs going on, alot of them??? Not really. The work in the pictures is done by a respected company, but I would say even they aren't pumping out jobs of this caliber every week. I agree finaly with your statements about sticking to the people's ranges that are "now" selling.
@ Todd
The company who featured the bar is called KLiens Landscaping, I doubt they themselves built the top. I've located a company that probably built the top, cause they have a couple in their show room...

JRSlawn
01-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Listen guys I am going to get into a pissing match with you on this one. I was selected to do the show thats how this process works. I have worked with the show in the past on a smaller scale in the past 10x10 and it worked ok probably closed on 10-15 jobs by going out and doing a good job on the work I got from the show I am able to do a feature. Just because my design is done doesn't mean I can't add things too it I am really wanting to add a water feature somewhere within the booth but I am not going to just do something you see at every show I am looking for something cool. As far as the 30k jobs goes have we sold a few of them yes, do I get calls for them all the time no. Our market is ok but its not booming by no means. I looked at a job last year in the 120k range but after going over the cost with the customer he decieded to hold off till this year so hopefully I will have a crack at it. Its not a job that I can just through something together for on cad I am having a landscape architect do the design but I am sure others will quote it off of the design. The show is on the 26th of feb I will def post some pics of our display I am looking for ideas here I am really not looking to be put down or to be questioned on my experience. My work speaks for it self.

JRSlawn
01-26-2010, 08:44 PM
DVS I agree with you 100% I don't want to do something that people can't see in their backyard by going out there and doing something crazy and extremly expensive people will automatically think wow this is too much I can't afford him. And I have been told that in the past at show for people looking to spend less then 15k. Heres a news flash for anyone who doesn't know how bad the markets are: 99.9% of people are not going to put a bar top like that in on their project. But don't get me wrong he still sells them.

Petey's Landscaping
01-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Here is a picture from our show last year.

Petey's Landscaping
01-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Here is another view of same garden.

dclandscape
01-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Petey - Looks really nice! What did you use as an edge restaint? I cant quite see the bottom left corner of picture #2...

I am trying to think of somthing and its been killin me!

Petey's Landscaping
01-28-2010, 07:36 PM
We don't have to use anything when our edge is under 2", but we normally use concrete or just cut the paver at a 45 degree.

JRSlawn
01-28-2010, 07:46 PM
peteys looks real nice is that a pond next to the gazebo? Got any pics of the waterfeature? I am excited about this year I think it is going to be a better year then last I have been getting about 2-3 calls a week for installations before we even do the show so hopefully it will have a good roi. How did the show do for you petey?

dclandscape
01-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Petey - Pavers are 2 1/2 inches, so you dont use anything where people step on to the display?

JRS - It will also be our first show this year and I am pumped! lol Ive been laying it all out in the show getting things fine tuned so its ready to roll out on set up day. I also am hoping for a good ROI. Time will tell I supose

Petey's Landscaping
01-28-2010, 09:10 PM
In the past our pavers have been 40mm, but this show, I am using 2 circle kits, they only come in 60mm. I will just cut the pavers at a 45 where the walkway is. Good luck on your show. I will post some new pictures of this show once it is done and I hope you will do the same.

dclandscape
01-28-2010, 09:22 PM
sure will. When is your show?

JRSlawn
01-28-2010, 09:48 PM
dc did belgard do your website for you?

Petey's Landscaping
01-28-2010, 11:13 PM
My show is feb. 19-21, 2010

JRSlawn
01-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Peteys post some pics when you get setup your show is the week before mine the show I am doing is also a 3 day show I wish it was longer the cleveland show is a whole week if not longer.

dclandscape
01-29-2010, 01:07 PM
JRS - We used a company called clear imaging for our website and print design. Fair package deal, I was pleased.

4Russl5
01-29-2010, 06:21 PM
We are doing two shows this year. One in Seattle at the Flower & Garden Show- building a beautiful dry stone masonry Vase out of 4 tons of stone at our stone suppliers booth. And one up here in Lynden for the Home Show- a Japanese/NorthWest Contemporary garden, focused on custom stone work(dry stone masonry)/ wood work/ native & edible plantings. We do only custom stone work & native plantings. We are also slicing up a large granite boulder for our pavers, building steel raised planters, and building a radius dry stone fence that will have a large slab of Douglas Fir for a bench.

We did a installation at the Seattle Flower & Garden show in 2008 that was over the top in labor-materials-time. 50 tons of stone, 25 employees installing, etc.... It was worth it on many levels. I also find it is a great way to start the season off... pushing ideas & budget within time and space constraints.

JRSlawn
01-30-2010, 07:59 PM
50 tons and 25 employees. That sounds like an awful big investment. What was the return on your investment at this show?

Paradise Landscapes
01-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Peteys post some pics when you get setup your show is the week before mine the show I am doing is also a 3 day show I wish it was longer the cleveland show is a whole week if not longer.

It's only a week. I like to network as I look at displays for ideas in my area.
Do you plan on doing the Cleveland show too? Since your doing the Akron show, will you be there the whole time? Where is it located?

kootoomootoo
01-30-2010, 09:02 PM
50 tons....that might loosen a few ceiling tiles.

JRSlawn
01-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Wayne I was thinking the same thing lol. I mean if a tracked machine will shake them off just think about 50 ton+the 25 guys helping him that had to be 4500lbs just in guys helping to setup this display. Thats a lot of weight. Wayne what are you doing at your display? I just got one of those counter tops so its going to be sweet step up your weight litarly lol.

JRSlawn
01-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Paradsie I imagine I will be there everyday all day sucking the life out of everyone who looks at our display i mean sell jobs

Paradise Landscapes
01-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Paradsie I imagine I will be there everyday all day sucking the life out of everyone who looks at our display i mean sell jobs

Where's it located? I might show up and check out your display.
BTW, How much are ares to rent for ball park price?

kootoomootoo
01-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Wayne I was thinking the same thing lol. I mean if a tracked machine will shake them off just think about 50 ton+the 25 guys helping him that had to be 4500lbs just in guys helping to setup this display. Thats a lot of weight. Wayne what are you doing at your display? I just got one of those counter tops so its going to be sweet step up your weight litarly lol.

I have a couple of ideas...what countertops...did i miss something.
Oh you mean the Kleins one....how much are they

JRSlawn
01-31-2010, 03:56 AM
Its at the John S Knight Center in akron It is the weekend of the 22nd friday sat sunday I think it is like 9-9pm

Paradise Landscapes
01-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks! If I can make it, I'll look for you.

JRSlawn
02-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Ill be there with bells on!

kootoomootoo
02-01-2010, 12:19 AM

wont they clash with your earings

JRSlawn
02-01-2010, 03:31 AM
no i got stearling silver they match my hoop earings lol

Paradise Landscapes
02-01-2010, 08:05 AM

It isn't Chrismas!

JRSlawn
02-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Alright guys you caught me I am an elf and I work at the north pole helping santa build toys I landscape on the side!

JRSlawn
02-01-2010, 02:49 PM
My booth is the square one on the right 30x35

Petey's Landscaping
02-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Here is my 1000 sqft. garden

dubb
02-27-2010, 11:25 AM
^^^why did you use cross ties? Srw block would look much better!!

wurkn with amish
03-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I like the mossy ties. Its called using your imagination and not being like everyone else.

kootoomootoo
03-02-2010, 06:46 PM
ditto i like the rustic look.
a monkey can build a srw wall.
try finding mossy ties in the middle of winter.

Petey's Landscaping
03-02-2010, 07:16 PM
I got paid to remove the cross ties that where covered with moss. I just wanted something different.

wurkn with amish
03-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Well JRS where's the pics?????

kootoomootoo
03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
yeah post some pics......i am curious

JRSlawn
03-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Well guys the show was great even though we had to plow snow and setup on the same days. I had a nice display and I think I got more leads then the guys who had twice as much in theirs. Wayne where were you at I saw MOCK in you area

JRSlawn
03-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I will post some more pics soon the only ones I have on my computer are not very good

kootoomootoo
03-06-2010, 09:10 PM
I was overseas.
where is the earings.

was the fan on...i like

JRSlawn
03-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Yeah fan was on I cut 2 50' extension cords up and wired the fan and all the lights together then just plugged it in. I think it went well Friday was dead though. I took the earrings out just for the show actually I lost one of them that night while plowing so I had to take the other one out!

JRSlawn
03-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Just for my australian friend wayne

DVS Hardscaper
03-07-2010, 11:52 AM
The display turned out superb! Great job! Please keep us posted throughout the year with what kinda work / sales came from it.

JRSlawn
03-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks DVS we really had a good turn out it seemed like people felt more welcomed at our booth that is kind of why I went with the open paver floor plan the only thing I would have done different is put an entrance where the grille is to add another path to the structure. I sold that structure I just have to get a few pcs of cedar that were damaged in the move no big deal. Our booth out of the 3 features was the most affordable one guy had a 15k water feature wall and a 20k counter top-wine bar the other guy had a mods fire place and a sick design out of umbriano and illcampo and a 30k structure. I just don't feel the Akron market will support those kind of jobs now if we did the cleveland show I would have spent 3 times as much and had a nicer display because there market supports big jobs.

JRSlawn
03-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Here is one of our affordable holland grill insert