PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer- V-Nose or not?

ElephantNest
01-25-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm getting an 8.5 x 16 enclosed trailer soon, and was hoping I could get people opinions on what they like/dislike about their V-Nose, and what they like/dislike about their flat nose.

A regular trailer with an extended tongue is probably 19' total length for a 16' trailer, and I think it would be about the same for a V-nose......so seems like wasted space without the v-nose.....but maybe they're more hassle than their worth with sight issues, or turning, something else I may not have thought of.

Which do you prefer, and why?

Thanks,
~Nest

DLAWNS
01-25-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm getting an 8.5 x 16 enclosed trailer soon, and was hoping I could get people opinions on what they like/dislike about their V-Nose, and what they like/dislike about their flat nose.

A regular trailer with an extended tongue is probably 19' total length for a 16' trailer, and I think it would be about the same for a V-nose......so seems like wasted space without the v-nose.....but maybe they're more hassle than their worth with sight issues, or turning, something else I may not have thought of.

Thanks,
~Nest

I have a vnose trailer and am back and forth about it. At first I loved it and still do, because of all the extra room in the front, its great for storage. I also have a dump insert on my truck and because of the extra length of that I as well as my employee had slightly jackknifed it as we were backing up. That was our own dumb faults but I've driven trailers for 8-9 years and have never done it before. Either way...the other problem with it is there is no place to put my truck loader. That is a big issue if you have one or plan on buying one...Hope this helps you a little.

scagrider22
01-25-2010, 06:00 PM

Thanks,
~Nest

The v-nose is a good place to put a workbench and cabinets without taking up your usable trailer space plus you get a couple extra feet of cargo room with out going to a longer trailer, my 8.5x20' is almost 22' long inside and the cost was the same as a flat nose. And they do seem to tow a little easier at highway speeds.

mowerbrad
01-25-2010, 06:53 PM
The v-nose will definately cut down on the drag when you are driving. And like others have said the front of a v-nose is a great place for extra storage inside without losing any of the useable space. I'd say that a v-nose would be a much better choice with the added storage space inside.

SilverTouch
01-25-2010, 07:03 PM
The v-nose is a good place to put a workbench and cabinets without taking up your usable trailer space plus you get a couple extra feet of cargo room with out going to a longer trailer, my 8.5x20' is almost 22' long inside and the cost was the same as a flat nose. And they do seem to tow a little easier at highway speeds.

so the 20' does not count the v part at the front?

rcslawncare
01-25-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't like the look of v noses, but for the reduced drag, they might be a good choice. Extra space is a nice selling point, but I heard somewhere that V nose railers don't ripple like regular ones as far as the sheet metal looking good and straight.

360ci
01-25-2010, 07:20 PM
I'd get the V nose. If it's advertised as a 8x20, that's generally the box size without the V nose area included, generally it's 2-2.5 feet depending on the tongue length.

scagrider22
01-25-2010, 11:20 PM
so the 20' does not count the v part at the front?

Nope the square section of my trailer is 20' inside and the v-nose adds another 2' of storage.

ygim
01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm going with the vnose

yardguy28
01-26-2010, 07:05 PM
i know some have already said they have made use of the space a v-nose has.

i personally feel there is wasted space with a v-nose. with the way i have my enclosed trailer set up the v is to much wasted space to go that route.

DoetschOutdoor
01-26-2010, 07:20 PM
How is it wasted space with the v nose? For a 20' trailer, you actually get 22+ feet of trailer with the v nose. Build your shelves up in the v nose that take up the 2 foot v nose and then you are down to the same space as a 20 foot trailer...
Only downfall of v nose as I see it is reduced turning capabilities but if you do not do a bunch of u turns, its not really a problem.

ygim
01-26-2010, 07:21 PM
you guys say its harder to turn a vnose?

scagrider22
01-26-2010, 07:23 PM
i know some have already said they have made use of the space a v-nose has.

i personally feel there is wasted space with a v-nose. with the way i have my enclosed trailer set up the v is to much wasted space to go that route.

I custom built a work bench that fits in the v-nose under the work bench I have a tool box and storage room and above the bench I put a cabinet, its free extra space and it gives me more cargo room because I still would have put the bench and cabinets in the front of a flat nose and that would be a waste of usable equipment storage.

DoetschOutdoor
01-26-2010, 07:25 PM
With the v nose, you typically have less tongue on the trailer exposed to give you the bigger turning radius with the trailer. Its not that big of a deal and if when I go to buy a bigger trailer soon Im going to have them make one with an extended tongue on the v nose.

scagrider22
01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
How is it wasted space with the v nose? For a 20' trailer, you actually get 22+ feet of trailer with the v nose. Build your shelves up in the v nose that take up the 2 foot v nose and then you are down to the same space as a 20 foot trailer...
Only downfall of v nose as I see it is reduced turning capabilities but if you do not do a bunch of u turns, its not really a problem.

Mine turns the same as my flat nose did, what makes yours harder? You can also get an exstended togue if it is a problem.

yardguy28
01-26-2010, 07:36 PM

I custom built a work bench that fits in the v-nose under the work bench I have a tool box and storage room and above the bench I put a cabinet, its free extra space and it gives me more cargo room because I still would have put the bench and cabinets in the front of a flat nose and that would be a waste of usable equipment storage.

the way my flat nose trailer is set up i have my 36" wb and my 21 incher side by side right up at the front of the flat nose. with a v-nose you have that little bit of space infront of the mowers that i can't/wouldn't use.

scagrider22
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
the way my flat nose trailer is set up i have my 36" wb and my 21 incher side by side right up at the front of the flat nose. with a v-nose you have that little bit of space infront of the mowers that i can't/wouldn't use.

The space up front is great for tools, spare parts, air tank, cooler, etc. thats your problem if you wouldnt use it.

yardguy28
01-26-2010, 07:46 PM
The space up front is great for tools, spare parts, air tank, cooler, etc. thats your problem if you wouldnt use it.

not so much i wouldn't use, it's more i have no use for it.

all my tools and spare parts are kept in my truck box, the cooler is in the truck cab. i literally have nothing to put in that space.

chevytrucks84
01-26-2010, 08:57 PM
If you get a v-nose make sure to get an extended tongue otherwise you wont ever be able to pull it with a flatbed or dump!