PDA

View Full Version : 2006 6.0 Stroker bogging down

Cuttinitclose
01-25-2010, 06:55 PM
What would cause a 6.0 to bog down from 60 to 20 in a 1/8mile distance. It is in a 2006 E-350 ambulance. The reason I ask here is because it is one of my g-pa's in the agency. It will be fine then just start bogging down even with no auxilery power or LnS running.

Thanks for the help.

mowerbrad
01-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Injectors maybe?

What are the 60 and 20 referring to?

Cuttinitclose
01-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Injectors maybe?

What are the 60 and 20 referring to?

MPH, I want to think he had them changed or at least looked at.

nepatsfan
01-25-2010, 08:51 PM
I think its from the bowtie on the front. Buy one with a blue oval. You shouldn't have anymore problems.:laugh:

Cuttinitclose
01-25-2010, 08:54 PM
It has a blue oval. Notice i said E-350 and Stroker. Not Duramax. It it had the D-max there wouldn't be anything wrong with it. HAHA j/K

P.Services
01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I think its from the bowtie on the front. Buy one with a blue oval. You shouldn't have anymore problems.:laugh:

this may be one of the dumbest comments ever posted on lawnsite.

a e-350 is a BLUE OVAL and a 6.0 is a FORD engine you dumb shi t!!

Cuttinitclose
01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
OK Does anyone have suggestions

LawnmastersMikejr
01-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I know on our '05 we had the turbo replaced because it kept getting soot built up in the vanes. It made a huge difference in the way the truck ran. If not that my next guess would be injectors.

TXNSLighting
01-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Its bogging down from 60-20??? You sure its not just the Torqshift braking?

TomberLawn
01-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Its bogging down from 60-20??? You sure its not just the Torqshift braking?

That's what I was wondering. That's a quick deceleration. Sometimes I wish I could get my truck to do that without hitting the brakes when I'm towing my tractor.

When you saying "bogging down", are you still on the throttle or is it coasting?

Cuttinitclose
01-25-2010, 10:52 PM
That's what I was wondering. That's a quick deceleration. Sometimes I wish I could get my truck to do that without hitting the brakes when I'm towing my tractor.

When you saying "bogging down", are you still on the throttle or is it coasting?

Just going down the road and it will start bogging down even with your foot is to the floor (trying to speed up). Not hitting brakes and not trying to shift.

TXNSLighting
01-25-2010, 10:58 PM
I guess im not getting this. Cuz it sounds like the tranny braking. While slowing, do you hit the pedal, and it doesnt go?? youre going to have to be detailed.

Cuttinitclose
01-25-2010, 11:01 PM
I guess im not getting this. Cuz it sounds like the tranny braking. While slowing, do you hit the pedal, and it doesnt go?? youre going to have to be detailed.

Correct as it's bogging you put your foot to the floor and it keeps bogging. If you apply brakes and come to a complete stop it corrects itself. The driver is just steering and holding steady at 55-60 and it will start bogging.

TXNSLighting
01-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Sounds possibly like Turbo...Or could be injectors. Or tranny! Need to get a code reader on it. Thats the best way. Warranty?

Cuttinitclose
01-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Sounds possibly like Turbo...Or could be injectors. Or tranny! Need to get a code reader on it. Thats the best way. Warranty?

ok I will tell him. Should be bought it new 4yrs ago but i dont know much about fords warranties.

TomberLawn
01-25-2010, 11:38 PM
On an electronic engine, it could be anything. TXNS is right. It needs to be hooked up to a code reader.

TXNSLighting
01-25-2010, 11:51 PM
It should be under warranty if its a 06, as long as it doesnt have over 100k.

Cuttinitclose
01-25-2010, 11:52 PM
It should be under warranty if its a 06, as long as it doesnt have over 100k.

No, it dont have anywhere close to 100k. Thanks for your help.

LawnmastersMikejr
01-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Reading the code would be best. I think AutoZone will scan it for free. You may also want to try changing the fuel filter.

mini14
01-26-2010, 01:28 AM
if its bogging down when u accelerte it sounds like your egr is fubared and your turbo vanes r stuck, all typical n.o.p for a 6.0...

mowerbrad
01-26-2010, 10:35 AM
I doesn't really suprise me that this ambulance has problems. With the way they are operated, they have problems all the time. Some of the new electronics in the ambulance have prevented too much wear, but the way these things are driven, they always seem to have problems.

mini14
01-26-2010, 10:56 AM
its because they idle alot, it soots up everything.......they r afraid to shut them off:laugh:

Cuttinitclose
01-26-2010, 01:28 PM
its because they idle alot, it soots up everything.......they r afraid to shut them off:laugh:

Were not he type of service that does that. The only time they idle is when they are on scene. The return to the garage after the call.

becpropertymaint.
01-26-2010, 02:39 PM
change the fuel and tranny filters

hosejockey2002
01-26-2010, 02:54 PM
I doesn't really suprise me that this ambulance has problems. With the way they are operated, they have problems all the time. Some of the new electronics in the ambulance have prevented too much wear, but the way these things are driven, they always seem to have problems.

Are you speaking from experience or speculation? Our department has four 7.3 powered and one 6.0 powered E450s and they all are very reliable. It helps that the rigs get regular preventative maintenance and when something goes wrong it goes to the dealer to get fixed. It's a lot more cost effective to have the dealer work on the drivetrain portion of these rigs than it is to have our own mechanics mess with it. This would be my suggestion to the OP, take it to a shop that knows this engine.

mowerbrad
01-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Are you speaking from experience or speculation? Our department has four 7.3 powered and one 6.0 powered E450s and they all are very reliable. It helps that the rigs get regular preventative maintenance and when something goes wrong it goes to the dealer to get fixed. It's a lot more cost effective to have the dealer work on the drivetrain portion of these rigs than it is to have our own mechanics mess with it. This would be my suggestion to the OP, take it to a shop that knows this engine.

I'm speaking from experience. When I ride with American Medical Response (AMR). They use E-350 van style ambulances. When they are running emergency status, it's break hard and accelerate fast, that is hard driving on any vehicle. And when it is driven like that several time a day, things tend to break down frequently enough. They are also idleing anytime they are not at the garage. I'm not saying that these are bad engines or vehicles, just that given the environment they are used in, it is tough on a vehicle.

grassman177
01-26-2010, 08:34 PM
i can see why it would be tough on them, but they should still hold up and they get the diesels for that reason. hardly ever see a gasser in one of them

Cuttinitclose
01-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Ok I talked to him today. It has around 35k on it. A guy from another service that has 7 6.0's he has had to replace 8 turbos on 1 and 2 on the other 6. All with less than 40k. He said he is 99% sure this is the problem.

He recieved a letter from an attorney about a class action civil lawsuit agianst Ford for the problems with the 6.0's, several months ago. He is now going to join in the suit.

He even said that if 1 more thing goes wrong he is STRONGLY going to consider having the box remounted on a Chevy 4500 cutaway chassis w/ the Duramax/Allison combo. The cost of $40,000 to do it is nothing considering that if we got stranded w/ a pt. on board what that could do.

hosejockey2002
01-27-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm speaking from experience. When I ride with American Medical Response (AMR). They use E-350 van style ambulances. When they are running emergency status, it's break hard and accelerate fast, that is hard driving on any vehicle. And when it is driven like that several time a day, things tend to break down frequently enough. They are also idleing anytime they are not at the garage. I'm not saying that these are bad engines or vehicles, just that given the environment they are used in, it is tough on a vehicle.

That explains a lot. We have AMR in our area too, and they operate as cheaply as possible when it comes to their equipment. Our rigs get run just as hard, but every three months they get a complete service, and when something mechanical goes wrong it gets fixed. Talking with the AMR crews, as long as their rig starts and drives, they run it, and small problems eventually become big ones. You are right, emergency service is very hard on a vehicle, but with good maintenance reliability should not be a problem.

mowerbrad
01-28-2010, 01:16 PM
That explains a lot. We have AMR in our area too, and they operate as cheaply as possible when it comes to their equipment. Our rigs get run just as hard, but every three months they get a complete service, and when something mechanical goes wrong it gets fixed. Talking with the AMR crews, as long as their rig starts and drives, they run it, and small problems eventually become big ones. You are right, emergency service is very hard on a vehicle, but with good maintenance reliability should not be a problem.

It is definately a big difference between how AMR runs and how our fire department runs. At the fire department, if a truck has an issue, it will be repaired as soon as possible. But from being around AMR enough I have found that (like you said) as long as the truck runs, its good. I know they have in house mechanics here, but that doesn't seem to help much. They can only have so many ambulances down at one time, so many ambulances will go quite a while before getting fixed.

Cummins343
01-28-2010, 01:30 PM
His department should've boughten a Braun Superchief ambo with a cummins in it.

Cummins343
01-28-2010, 01:37 PM
That's also why we have mobile mechanics and 6 shops strategically placed throughout the county. We run about 65k runs a year, so we have trucks breaking down all the time.