PDA

View Full Version : Full size van ramps! Only one catch....

360ci
01-25-2010, 08:38 PM
...they're made in Austrailia!

For those who use vans, full size or other these would be the ramp to get:

http://www.aerozproducts.com/gallery/van-ramp-systems.html
When folded upright, it can be swiveled outside to gain access to the cargo when the ramp isn't required! Genious!

http://www.biodsl.com/images/aussieramps.jpg

MikeKle
01-25-2010, 10:35 PM
That would be easy to fabricate a ramp like that out of steel. Plus it wouldnt cost that much, and you could use expanded steel to save weight.

Greg78
01-25-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm running out of a van this year. I am in the process of putting together ideas to fabricate a ramp like that of an open trailer. If when I get something put together I'll post some pictures.

I really like using the van its very nice to not have a trailer and to also have all my equipment nice and dry all day.

Right now I am using some 2" X 10" planks for ramps and they are working out better than expected.

I was going to start a thread on this topic to see if anybody has any ideas or pictures of van ramps?

Greg78
01-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Forgot to add I can post more pictures of my current set-up if anyone is interested, or I might start another thread?

360ci
01-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Sure, post 'm up! I thought about getting another Sprinter (2500) for lawn care work during the summer months, and I can use it as a project van during the winter. Cargo's are fairly low priced now a days. I'd just like to be able to stand up inside, and a long wheelbase would provide more room as well, not to mention the diesel mileage, keeping everything dry as you had mentioned, and most important, security.

Greg78
01-26-2010, 01:39 AM
Van is a 91 GMC 3/4 Ton. Years ago we put in a plywood wall to keep down the fumes from a generator we used to haul in it.

I will be putting in a roof vent.

360ci
01-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Not bad at all! I've been eyeballing used cargo's. GM seems to be the better deal. I can get a 2500 4.8L a few years old for just over five figures, with decent mileage and with all certificates ready for the road. Add in another couple thousand to retrofit and it'll get decent mileage for the cost, and the security is there. Sprinter is still #1 in my book though.

The ol' faithful Vandura vans are few and far between in my area. One with a 5.0L V8 would be great, even for occasionally pulling a trailer. I had a '90 GMC C1500 ext cab, and it was a great truck, but it succumbed to too much rust before I had to part it out. 175hp 305 V8 ran fantastic and never gave me a problem in 318,000kms.

keeman
01-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Cool setup with the van! I am running out of a F150, trying to put together a setup for some ramps and maybe some racks

Greg78
01-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Cool setup with the van! I am running out of a F150, trying to put together a setup for some ramps and maybe some racks

For running out of a pick-up I would model it after the ramps that use the receiver.

http://www.discountramps.com/tailgate_ramp.htm

grassman177
01-26-2010, 09:14 PM
i was going to ask about fumes man, seems dangerous!. by the way, girl in the pic is cute! ha

Greg78
01-26-2010, 09:38 PM
i was going to ask about fumes man, seems dangerous!. by the way, girl in the pic is cute! ha

Fumes are not really an issue. I will be adding a roof vent but I don't notice any more fumes in the cargo area of the van versus an enclosed trailer. The drivers compartment is almost completely sealed off from the cargo area so no fumes to deal with up there.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-26-2010, 09:46 PM
that is a cool way to get it done

olde_blue
01-27-2010, 10:58 PM
In the US, some wheelchair vans use similar ramps (usually dropped floor minivans, and typically the ramp is powered and mounted on the side). If you are really interested in such an aluminum ramp, you may want to check out the manufactures of these (or even look for a used one).

360ci
01-28-2010, 06:03 PM
I had a look at the EnterVan at the dealer last year. It'd be OK for a small walk behind, but for a second mower for instance plus equipment, it doesn't justify the cost. Just to get the ramp alone would have to be modified to work on the rear of the vehicle. It's also fixed, meaning to use the door, you'll have to pull the ramp down/up each time. The link I posted above; ramps made in Austrailia!, fold up just like the one above, but can pivot on one side so you don't have to lower it down to gain access to cargo.

The only problem is fitment on our vans, versus the Aussie vehicles. The Sprinter is really the only model that we have similar in dimensions. The downside of course, is cost.

Valk
01-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Are domestic vans capable of accepting a 48 b/tw the wheelwells?

360ci
01-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Most full size vans, are the same as full size pick-ups. Width between the wheel wells is at least 48" cleared. In most cases, they're 50" to allow some give, when hauling lumber as an example.

Greg78
01-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Most full size vans, are the same as full size pick-ups. Width between the wheel wells is at least 48" cleared. In most cases, they're 50" to allow some give, when hauling lumber as an example.

IIRC mine was 52.5" between the wells. I was looking for a 48" walk behind but found a deal on my Exmark TTHP 36" that I couldn't pass up.

360ci
01-29-2010, 09:34 PM
I've been shopping around for units as well. Winter is a good time to buy.

JayD
08-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Van is a 91 GMC 3/4 Ton. Years ago we put in a plywood wall to keep down the fumes from a generator we used to haul in it.

I will be putting in a roof vent.

I have to ask.....What is the string tied to the gear shift for and the chain on the handle for?

Thanks

Greg78
05-19-2011, 09:24 PM
I have to ask.....What is the string tied to the gear shift for and the chain on the handle for?

Thanks

I know the thread is a little old, just seen I never answered this question.

The chain is for a Velke.
The string is tied to the key.

I am not running out of the van anymore. The only good thing was the how compact it was.

The cons were:
No place for shrub trimmings.
Seemed to get pretty hot with mower, trimmer, blower and edger all in there after running. Never got around to adding the roof vent though.
Unloading the mower with the planks got old pretty fast. Although if I would have found a decent way to make a gate that wasn't too costly it might not have been too bad.