PDA

View Full Version : -anyone haul attachments in back of pickup?

YellowDogSVC
01-25-2010, 09:39 PM
skid steer users--

Anyone haul attachments in the back of a pickup or dually pickup? I usually haul my attachments on my flatbed but have an out of town job and wanted to take my newer truck. I haven't had the chance to get it set up for a flatbed (saving for an aluminum to compliment the black truck) so I thought about loading a tree shear or grapple in the back of the truck and pulling my Bobcat behind it.
Anyone do this? How did the bed hold up? I figure I need to lay some plywood down..??

RockSet N' Grade
01-25-2010, 09:50 PM
plywood would be a good thing and then tie the implement down with straps to all the corners........yea, done it......don't like it 'cause it always seems like something happens to the pick up truck. implements on the trailer feels safer and better.......yellowdog, go ahead and splurge to jumpstart the texas economy rebound and buy that aluminum flatbed....then haul your implements. I tried to jump start utahs snow economy by purchasing a snow blower for my skid.....since doing that, there have been no snow events in our area.........

Gravel Rat
01-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Tires work good it gives some cushion and grip so its not sliding around. Lay a 22.5 inch truck tire in the bed and lay the tree sheer on it and try sit the grapple on top. If you don't have them already those stake pocket hooks.

www.tonnocover.com/Keeper_Corp/part-05605-10518.html

Try lash the grapple and sheer together so its one mass.

It is a work truck you are going to get some dents :laugh:

YellowDogSVC
01-25-2010, 11:12 PM
plywood would be a good thing and then tie the implement down with straps to all the corners........yea, done it......don't like it 'cause it always seems like something happens to the pick up truck. implements on the trailer feels safer and better.......yellowdog, go ahead and splurge to jumpstart the texas economy rebound and buy that aluminum flatbed....then haul your implements. I tried to jump start utahs snow economy by purchasing a snow blower for my skid.....since doing that, there have been no snow events in our area.........

I would love to. My '05 f350 is still in good condition but my '08 is so much nicer to drive plus on a long haul in the hills...less frustrating than my heavy flatbed 6.0 that won't get out of its own way.

I am tapped out right now. Thank the Good Lord business is picking up, however, I think I will hold onto extra business funds a little tighter.. My first priority is still finding better traction...ctl, ott tracks, etc., so that is where my first surplus will go but that aluminum flatbed was very NICE!!! I just need to convince myself that $7500 and SHARP haul truck is worth it. If I do go with the aluminum flatbed..hopefully soon.. I will get a winch and bullbar, and get some custom lettering on my truck.

My current magnetic signage looks like the pic below but I'd like to do something bigger with the yellow lettering on the black truck.

Junior M
01-25-2010, 11:13 PM
I'll be dammed if I am denting my truck.. :nono:

And i bet some yellow faded into orange lettering would look good on that black:cool2:

YellowDogSVC
01-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Tires work good it gives some cushion and grip so its not sliding around. Lay a 22.5 inch truck tire in the bed and lay the tree sheer on it and try sit the grapple on top. If you don't have them already those stake pocket hooks.

www.tonnocover.com/Keeper_Corp/part-05605-10518.html

Try lash the grapple and sheer together so its one mass.

It is a work truck you are going to get some dents :laugh:

I can fit one attachment on the trailer. I like the idea of setting a tire down. Would keep it from sliding, too. I have inside hooks that will support some weight. for this trip, I'll probably take a lighter grapple with me so I don't beat up the truck bed. I want to be able to sell it if I get the flatbed (someday).

I'll be dammed if I am denting my truck.. :nono:

And i bet some yellow faded into orange lettering would look good on that black:cool2:

I'll dent it for ya..:hammerhead::drinkup:

Gravel Rat
01-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Like they say the first dent hurts the rest is war wounds :laugh:

If your worried lay some heavy moving blankets over the box sides anything that will help soften the blow.

The safest bet is just take your time start rushing there will be damage. If your doing this yourself tie a long rope to the attachment so when your lowering it into the box or lifting it you can pull on the rope in the machine to help guide it out.

YellowDogSVC
01-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Like they say the first dent hurts the rest is war wounds :laugh:

If your worried lay some heavy moving blankets over the box sides anything that will help soften the blow.

The safest bet is just take your time start rushing there will be damage. If your doing this yourself tie a long rope to the attachment so when your lowering it into the box or lifting it you can pull on the rope in the machine to help guide it out.

I may have to use the pallet forks. Just realized I can't open my door when the boom arms are up (bobcat) so I don't know how I would get the attachment in and out of the bed without the forks putting it in long ways.

Uggh.. so much for that idea. :) I was hoping to drive that truck. My wife has put most of the miles on it. It'll be out of warranty before I get a flatbed on it!

:laugh:

curtisfarmer
01-26-2010, 09:33 AM
I do this everytime when moving equipment. Use your deepest bucket and sling chain over cutting edge, it gives more reach and additional vertical control. Watch out for any tag lines or chains which will certainly scratch truck if dragged upon. Also, have someone there to view final placement as most dents occur when you think it down in the bed fine, and then it comes off its hangup unexpectedly and bang....dent. Don't crimp your quarter panels either (assuming you are not going in over tailgate. Cheap palltes in the bottom work well too, and you can pull the item out with forks if need be.

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-26-2010, 10:02 AM
you could always just take the tailgate off to get more reach into the truck as well.

those anchors with the rubber dont hold much at all and they have too much flex.

I have the bullring pop up rings on my truck and they clamp down and are rated to 1500lbs each.

if you want to do this more often, then build a crate like box out of a pallet with sides that will prevent the attachments to roll and hit your pickup box sides. then you'll just be able to slide it in with your pallet forks with the attachments already inside.

http://www.qwks.com/images/bull_exploded.jpg

YellowDogSVC
01-26-2010, 03:06 PM
y
if you want to do this more often, then build a crate like box out of a pallet with sides that will prevent the attachments to roll and hit your pickup box sides. then you'll just be able to slide it in with your pallet forks with the attachments already inside.

http://www.qwks.com/images/bull_exploded.jpg

this is a good idea. I figure the forks are light and would double as a backup for grapple should it break down on the job and I only have a few trees left to move.

one of the issues is the truck as a spray in bed liner so nothing slides easily and thus I thought about plywood on the bottom but didn't think about sides.

rip&tear
01-26-2010, 03:25 PM
I have hauled attachemnts in the back of my truck but never when I'm pulling a trailer. I'm kinda farked on that, but when I have transported attachments they normally get put on a pallet and put in so I can easily get them out if the attachment plate is turned to where I can't get it with a SS.

Goosneck always hoses ya for box space.
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/chick_in_Indiana/Misc%20Pictures/bobcatandkids021.jpg

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-26-2010, 05:56 PM
build a platform on top of the neck, as long as your not overloading your rear axle then you might be able to get away with carrying something up there.

rip&tear
01-26-2010, 06:12 PM
That trailer in the picture is pretty heavy as is, It's like 7800# empty, I wouldn't want to add anymore weight to my axle, now I have a 18' Gooseneck skidsteer trailer that I'm going to do something like that with, the 28' trailer is big enough I can get all my attachemnets on plus Bobcat.

jimmyjack
01-26-2010, 08:59 PM
how long is your trailer? why cant u load the tree shear on the trailer at the front the put the grapple on the machine and drive or back it on the trailer..... my tilt trailer is 18ft and ive carried three buckets and forks on it , normally put the tooth bucket in the gp bucket then load them at the front most of the trailer then put the 4-1 bucket on the machine up against the back of the them , chain the skid down , throw some rachet straps x'd over the two buckets , and the forks are in the holder under the trailer

YellowDogSVC
01-26-2010, 09:49 PM
how long is your trailer? why cant u load the tree shear on the trailer at the front the put the grapple on the machine and drive or back it on the trailer..... my tilt trailer is 18ft and ive carried three buckets and forks on it , normally put the tooth bucket in the gp bucket then load them at the front most of the trailer then put the 4-1 bucket on the machine up against the back of the them , chain the skid down , throw some rachet straps x'd over the two buckets , and the forks are in the holder under the trailer

16ft. what size machine do you have? s330 is heavy enough that it needs to be driven forward.

Junior M
01-26-2010, 10:02 PM
16ft. what size machine do you have? s330 is heavy enough that it needs to be driven forward.
what do you mean? It should be able to be loaded anyway as long as its placed right..

jimmyjack
01-26-2010, 10:24 PM

ASV PT80, its just as heavy as yours, heres a couple pics, the skid is over the wheels both ways.......i have carried the tooth bucket and 4-1 in the bed of my truck before , i just put them on the forks long ways slid them in the bed flipped the gate and drove away , to get it out the 4-1 as a hook on the top that i picked it from and the tooth bucket i just slid it to the back and flipped it on the ground , my bed is rhino lined and its not like throwing the bucket on the ground it going to hurt it

ksss
01-26-2010, 11:08 PM
I haul excavator buckets in my bed as well as my skid steer concrete breaker. Other than that I don't. I try not to make a habit of it. The box takes a beating. 30 years ago you drop a bucket from 20 feet over the bed and hurt your bucket, now it takes a minor glance to cause a dent in the bed even with a spray in bed liner. Maybe plastic would be more helpful.

YellowDogSVC
01-26-2010, 11:33 PM
ASV PT80, its just as heavy as yours, heres a couple pics, the skid is over the wheels both ways.......i have carried the tooth bucket and 4-1 in the bed of my truck before , i just put them on the forks long ways slid them in the bed flipped the gate and drove away , to get it out the 4-1 as a hook on the top that i picked it from and the tooth bucket i just slid it to the back and flipped it on the ground , my bed is rhino lined and its not like throwing the bucket on the ground it going to hurt it

do the forks slide into slots on the trailer? what's that trailer rated for?
not sure how ASV is balanced but Bobcat has 70% weight in the rear. Even with a shear out front, backed in, I felt like I had too much tongue weight (I tried rear loading). I had the same problem with my s300's with tracks. So much weight on the tongue the trailer didn't feel right when towing. My trailer isn't very nice (big tex sucks) but it's balanced okay as long as I'm not too far forward or back. I think I need a longer trailer by at least 2 feet and no rails. I always ran a utility style because it doubled for hauling debris if necessary. I now run a dump trailer so I don't need the sides on the utility.

I'm leaning toward using the forks and loading my grapple into the back of the truck and hauling shear and machine on the trailer. I don't think the trailer will be overloaded with some weight forward to the tongue.

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-27-2010, 10:48 AM
i like those fork slots! i might weld some channel under my trailer to do the same, although i should be good on space for now, i only have a 72" gp bucket and 48" pallet forks.

jimmyjack
01-27-2010, 08:28 PM
do the forks slide into slots on the trailer? what's that trailer rated for?
not sure how ASV is balanced but Bobcat has 70% weight in the rear. Even with a shear out front, backed in, I felt like I had too much tongue weight (I tried rear loading). I had the same problem with my s300's with tracks. So much weight on the tongue the trailer didn't feel right when towing. My trailer isn't very nice (big tex sucks) but it's balanced okay as long as I'm not too far forward or back. I think I need a longer trailer by at least 2 feet and no rails. I always ran a utility style because it doubled for hauling debris if necessary. I now run a dump trailer so I don't need the sides on the utility.

I'm leaning toward using the forks and loading my grapple into the back of the truck and hauling shear and machine on the trailer. I don't think the trailer will be overloaded with some weight forward to the tongue.

the trailers got a 14000gvw, and yes the forks slide under the deck ....last winter my partner and i went and bought to 7ft pieces of box tubing ,think it is 2"x4" and welded them to the bottom rails, works nice just slide the forks all the way apart and they'll fit every time. and they dont stick out passed the fender so u dont have to worry about them, but u do need to hold them in, i have a small chain that i wrap around them and hook it to a stake pocket to keep them from walking out

tallrick
01-29-2010, 01:36 AM
I have had everything from the augerto the trencher in the bed of my pickup truck. Only bad experience I had was when I just got a junk 4 in 1 bucket and loaded it in the bed, only to have the tailgate open up a few miles from home and dump it on a very busy 4 lane road. It took a bit of struggling and a rope for me to pull that thing off the road and on the sidewalk, which happened to be in front of a furniture store. The people there complained but I had a friend watch it while I went home to get the Bobcat to load it back on my trailer. As for the trailer one of mine is homemade with a movable axle carriage and the other is a manufactured one with the axles more to the rear. Backing a bobcat on that trailer is just too heavy for the tongue. To make going forward less unstable on the trailer I like to have another attachment in the bucket, or a haevy one like a combo bucket or trencher. With smaller buckets and pallet forks I often move them by hand into my truck bed when spaces are tight.

RipT
01-29-2010, 06:17 PM
One suggestion whenever loading/unloading ANYTHING with forks in a PU bed.......REMOVE the tailgate first ! !

Seen far too many ruined tailgates from just being "touched" by the loading machine. You are always trying to reach further into the main part of the bed to set or pick up the load that contact with the tailgate is almost inevitable. The bumper can take such a nudge much better.

The sheet metal on all newer trucks is so much thinner than older models they dent very easy. The various suggestions of tires, plywood, pallets are all good along with tying down securely.

ConstSvcs
01-29-2010, 06:52 PM

Is that a 6ton or 7ton trailer ???

jimmyjack
01-31-2010, 03:54 PM
14000gvw = 7ton .............trailer weighs i think 2800#s empty so that leaves around 12000#s to put on it , i figure , the skid 9000# ,3 buckets around 1000 pounds each and a set of forks im guessing a couple hundred pounds , its close to being over weight but it tows fine.............btw the hyd tilt is the way to go:cool2: