PDA

View Full Version : Gas Line Trimmers

Beale
05-30-2002, 03:39 PM
Thanks in advance to all who reply to this post. I am a homeowner with 2/3 acre and am looking at buying a new line trimmer soon. Have looked at Stihl FS 55R and FS 80R, Echo SRM-2100, and SRM-2400, and last Shindaiwa T230 and Homepro 22T.
Of these trimmers which do you think will be my best bet. I am trying to stay in the $200.00-$250.00 range. Also may look at split boom versions of above trimmers for mutiple uses. May also need to use a blade once in a while. Thanks for the help.
Beale

lschultz
06-01-2002, 11:31 AM
I got a Echo SRM 2400 had it for about 13 yrs and its still going strong.And I have trimmed a lot of grass,weeds,limbs.Still starts easy.But when it comes time to replace I think I will get a Stihl.I've heard good about the Shindawia too.I've heard too that Echo doesn't made as good of product as they did 10 yrs ago.I heard this from my tractor dealer(years ago he sold Echo but now he sells Stihl).

Don't know anything about the other one.

Beale
06-01-2002, 09:15 PM
Ischultz,
Thanks for the reply, I like them all. Am leaning towards the Stihl, because my local dealer seems to favor them. Probably was not very clear on that homepro unit, it is Shindaiwas home use unit.
But any how thanks again. Beale

lahanko
06-02-2002, 06:01 AM
IMHO, Stihl or don't bother. Have had my FS-66 for 15 + years.

bruces
06-02-2002, 09:53 AM
I ran a Shin 230 last year and this year purchased a split boom Stihl. I'm using them both. Both are powerful and very reliable.

At first, I had trouble starting the Stihl, but I have the routine down now.

You can't go wrong with either one.

Beale
06-02-2002, 10:59 AM
Thank you to all who have replied to my question on trimmers. Glad to see that the Stihl is liked and good quality. Hope to look at both FS55RT(homeowner series), and the FS83RT, or 85RT soon. Have decided to go with a split boom version for mutiple capablities. Thanks again. Beale

MJ
06-02-2002, 11:24 AM
Thanks for this thread. I just came back in the house ten minutes ago from going to use my trimmer. Wouldn't start yesterday, so I let it sit till today to try again. It started, but won't stay running. Just sputters and dies.

Homelite Trimlite. I use it maybe an hour every two weeks. Bought it last year and has at the most 10 hours on it. Didn't run very well, then, either. What a piece of junk!!! I knew better, too, that's the worst part.

Anyway, I was going to ask for recommendations for a trimmer. Funny how the first thread in the Homeowner section was asking about the same thing. Thanks, I'll be looking at a Shindaiwa next Friday and Stihl if they have a booth set up at the St Louis Expo.

Holloway Lawns
06-05-2002, 10:49 PM
I use Stihl and it's great but Shin, Echo, Red Max are all good as well.

gogetter
06-05-2002, 11:59 PM
I have 2 Shindaiwa T-230's and love them. Bought them last year for about $229 each on sale (I think that was the price).

Satisfied Shin customer.

Buster57
06-12-2002, 08:26 PM
I am looking to purchase a little bigger Stihl Weed Trimmer. I think it is the 80 model? Costs about $430 retail. Does anyone have a recomendation where I can get a cheeper price on Stihl products?

Thank you,

Bob

GrassMaster84
06-12-2002, 08:57 PM
- Buster57,

I bought a Stihl FS85 for $299 + tax. I think it was like 325 total, you could maybe find a cheaper price if you search around on the web!:)

heybruck34
06-12-2002, 09:55 PM
I love my Echo SRM 2100. For homeowner use it's not heavy and has plenty of power. Heck- I usually don't even use full throttle most of the time simply because I cut every week and it's not needed. My parent's bought one of the SRM 2000's when we moved from Florida 18 YEARS AGO. The 2000 is slightly smaller than the 2100 I think. It was one of the top of the line ones back then and WE STILL USE IT today- runs like new. You can't go wrong with the 2100 or 2400 in my opinion.

Beale
06-13-2002, 07:03 PM
Thanks to all the nice people that have responded to my post on gas line trimmers. I now know a lot more about these then before. Have done some searching on this site and the web, as well as local dealers.
Starting next week I am going to go out and start looking, hefting, and hopefully testing out what is avalible at the local dealers. Will let all know how this goes. thanks again.
Beale

JasperStorm
06-14-2002, 08:13 AM
We use Echo line trimmers in commercial duty applications, and have had no trouble with them. They are the most trouble free piece of power equipment we own.

Years ago when I was shopping for my Stihl chainsaw, I noticed that the factory kept tight control over prices, so "shopping around" for the lowest price was difficult. I don't know if it is the same now, or for lawn equipment.

As for the size of powerhead, the 2100 series is fine for your average lawn grass cutting applications, but for tall weed or pasture grasses, you may want to step up to one of the larger (thus, more expensive) models. Not to say that a 2100 can't do the job, it just might take longer. 2400/2600 is the acceptable minimum for me.

If you have mostly nasty velvet grass, thistles, blackberries, saplings, etc., double your budget and check out the Echo 3100 series. Much heavier duty, won't get bogged down by grass twisting around the string head.

I tend to be leary of tools with readily interchangable implements, dedicated equipment always lasts longer, at least for commercial applications. They might be just fine for homeowner applications

P.S. Don't believe everything salesmen say. My dad was sold a Shindawa, "just like the pro's use". Piece of junk. I'll be picking out an Echo for him soon.

JJOHN22042
07-20-2002, 12:16 AM
Just Bought a New Echo here and love it I would go with the Echo again here. Only Bad thing is when I start it at someones House they think its a Chain Saw.